Recent purchases thread

Share any books or sets you just recently bought

Just got this, a set of the Illiad, Odyssey and the Aenead translated by Fagles. I've never read the Fagles translations before so I hope I'm in for a good read.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/361857912825
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fucking

....What are you doing?

letting some creativity out

FAGLES IS GARBAGE YOU HAVE WASTED YOUR MONEY ITS A HIGHSCHOOL VERSION PEDDLED BY PUBLISHERS TO SELL TO PLEBS

POPE for most poetic
LATTIMORE for most accurate
FITZGERALD is somewhere in between
CHAPMAN is a lesser Pope but Keats liked him

Research translations next time you complete moron

dude chill a bit ok
remeber its anothre hhuman bean on the other side of the monitor

And Merrill?

I did research them and read examples, Fagles sounds the best read out loud and is the most dramatic. All others sound dated and dull

Never read it but it looks really good. Based on the first page I'd put it above Fitzgerald and below Pope, will opt for it when I reread the Iliad

>All others sound dated and dull
Your a pleb, Fagles uses dull contemporary language that smooths the verse and makes it read like prose, it's complete garbage

>Your
O shit maybe I'm the pleb

>All others sound dated
>translation is dated
>book is 2500 years old

Fagels is an good enough translation and anyone who says otherwise is a memer.

Seeing this opinion really makes me dissapointed in this board. That's exactly like reading a contemporary shakespeare translation because it's "good enough", "flows better" and "isn't dated".

> tfw you didn't buy the Lattimore translations

just bought this. excited

ebay.com/itm/361857912825

>Shakespeare
>Translation
I know No Fear exists but you can't compare Greek from 2500 years ago to still readable English.

You give me hope.

I see meme potential here

OP hasn't read the books yet, hence why they're "good enough." He go go to better ones once he is familiar with the story.

*can go

I got the WHD Rouse is it good if not I got it for .50 cents so its not much of a loss

lel you're a retard

Fagles is simply the best translation.

is this where i start with the greeks?
shouldn’t i start with myths and legends?

When comparing my spanish and german copy, they're almost literally the same, and comparing them both to Fagles' and Lattimore's translation, Fagles is almost the same as the others, so I'm gonna assume Fagles is more accurate unless someone who can actually read homeric greek proves me wrong.

>2017
>Still misspelling Aeneid
The correct spelling is literally in your picture

This and Emily Dickens poetry collection.

Im new to lit stuff

I can. Fagles takes too much liberty but it's good if your a high school kid or a pleb.

Can you provide some examples? I'm genuinely curious.

Relevant to the thread.

Start with the Sumerians

I like the repetition of "waves" in fagles version. Very effective.

Reminder that people only hate Fagles to be knee-jerk contrarians

Lol. Fucking spaghetti pleb.

Faccia di merda

>unironically buying translations
>not living on govt benefits and dedicating ALL of your time to the study of Latin and Ancient Greek

brainlets

recently got this old Whal Whitman, what do you guys think? worth anything?

Pope soars above the others

Everything in Italian sounds so much cooler.

Isn't it very easy to understand French if you can speak Italian and vice versa?

I have been learning French for about a year and a half; when I started Italian a few weeks ago it felt like I already knew 75% of the words.

Why the fuck are the translations SO DIFFERENT

Isn't it just a simple act of
>LEARN GREEK.
>TRANSLATE

But these are all so fucking DIFFERENT. Like different goddamn books.

Also

Pope is by far the bestest.

Cuz it's poetry brainlet

uwu

You faggots are making me so jealous, there's literally garbage tier bookshop only in this fucking country.

I really want to move into U.S. to get to these goat tier bookshops.

What country?

Move to Canada instead; you get the GOAT bookstores and at the same time you aren't likely to be a mass shooting victim.

Fuck off, we're full

My bud who works at a bookstore and reads attic greek says fagles is the best translation

I've read fagles and lattimore and fagles is fucking fine, especially for a reader new to homer

The greeks are myths and legends retard

Do you think Zeus literally sat on a mountain and watched Greeks fight Trojans for 20 years?

All white people are welcome.

Too bad Cuckdeau is going to turn us into the next Sweden.

Or.. Orrrr OR
Go fuck yourself

Don't blame me, I voted NDP -- I just wanted weed decriminalized. Call me "DUDE WEED LMAO" all you want, I don't fucking care buddy.

Finnish expat living in North Africa.

I voted NDP too. It honestly looked like they might have won a minority government in the beginning.

A medical card is very easy to obtain.
t. "Glaucoma" patient

You'll be in search of lost time after reading that.

>Stephen King

Google the copyright?

Interesting collection, what pinecone edition is that?

Can relate.