Can a joke be regarded as a short story?

What are your thoughts?

Not OP but here's a joke I wrote:

Halloween's coming up, I'm real excited. I love Halloween and I love a good costume party I get really into it. Last year I went to one dressed as Willy Wonka. It went great for a while... Until people at the party started getting injured in whimsical, candy related events. I played coi about it. "John drowned in a pool full of chocolate? I wouldn't know anything about it (Maybe he shouldn't have been such a gluttonous bastard)" "That's terrible that June got crushed by a bag full of jelly beans! (prideful bitch)"

Well they got wise and tried to kick me out of the party but I didn't give them the satisfaction. I grabbed my cane and my purple top hat and walked right on out of there, dignity intact

where's the punchline?

Genuinely unfunny.

So when's your short story collection coming out user?

A joke is pretty much the shortest story you can write.

There's more literary merit to the structure of a joke with a premise that leaks to a punchline than a haiku tbqh

Why?

Yes.

For real: funny joke, never bombed.

Okay how about this one.

I love Seattle, living here I've learned a lot, it's really changed my perspective on things, I've become a lot more progressive. I've learned to appreciate the struggle that people of other races and sexualities have to go through. Ill give you an example: Yesterday I was watching Monty Python and John Cleese came out on the stage dressed as a woman... and everyone laughed at him... But I was thinking "We shouldn't be laughing at John, we should be supporting him"

It lends itself more to complex ideas rather than only the raw aesthetic and lyrical beat that most haikus have, no? It's how I feel.

You should read Basho's haikus, some are very funny.

>coi

How do you see this being received or interpreted?

Kill yourself before you die on stage.

>missing it this hard

What's there to miss? You're a fool, and not even the entertaining kind either.

>Tells shitty joke
>''I-It wasn't meant to be f-funny! r-retards!''

that wasn't even me

the user says says he's telling a joke when its a short story instead.

its not deep nor funny but you guys missed it

I just read the first 3 words then glanced at the post and realized it was just gonna be unfunny pretentious garbage, thanks to the other anons I can comfirm I was right without losing my time

Now I'm fucking off from this shitty thread

3 guys are hiking through the woods when they find a lamp. One of them picks it up, rubs it, and out pops a Genie.
It booms "You have finally freed me after all these years, so I'll grant each one of you 3 wishes." The first guy immediately blurts out "I want a billion dollars." POOF, he's holding a printout that shows his account balance is now in fact 1,000,000,003.50
The second man thinks for a bit, then says "I want to be the richest man alive." POOF, he's holding papers showing his net worth is now well over 100 billion.
The third guy thinks even longer about his wish, then says "I want my left arm to rotate clockwise for the rest of my life." POOF, his arm starts rotating.
The Genie tells them it's time for their second wish.
First guy says: "I want to be married to the most beautiful woman on earth." POOF, a stunning beauty wraps herself around his arm.
Second guy says "I want to be good-looking and charismatic, so I can have every girl I want." POOF, his looks change and the first guy's wife immediately starts flirting with him.
Third guy says "I want my right arm to rotate counter-clockwise until I die." POOF, now both his arms are rotating, in opposite directions.
The genie tells them to think very carefully about their third wish.
First guy does, and after a while says "I never want to become sick or injured, I want to stay healthy until I die." POOF, his complexion improves, his acne is gone and his knees don't bother him any more.
Second guy says "I never want to grow old. I want to stay 29 forever." POOF, he looks younger already.
Third guy smiles triumphantly and says "My last wish is for my head to nod back and forth." POOF, he's now nodding his head and still flailing his arms around. The genie wishes them good luck, disappears, and the men soon go their separate ways.
Many years later they meet again and chat about how things have been going. First guy is ecstatic: "I've invested the money and multiplied it many times over, so me and my family will be among the richest of the rich pretty much forever. My wife is a freak in the sheets, and I've never gotten so much as a cold in all these years." Second guy smiles and says "Well, I built charities worldwide with a fraction of my wealth, I'm still the richest guy alive and also revered for my good deeds. I haven't aged a day since we last met, and yes, your wife is pretty wild in bed." Third guy walks in, flailing his arms around and nodding his head, and says: "Guys, I think I fucked up."

I laugh every time

A great short story about the human condition

I couldn't breathe the first time I heard this joke, and it continues to be funny even if you can't see the body motions. This is a good joke.

Explain for a brainlet

Kek

This is such a great joke.

Come on man it is a classic build up and play of expectations.

ok this one is pretty funny

nice

the humour mostly comes from how absurd it is
the first man asks for intelligent wishes, the second takes the same ideas but improves on them whereas god knows what the third one was thinking

are yall memeing because this isn't funny at all. sounds like a Seth Rogen joke

I would say that jokes can indeed be a kind of short stories

this
They don't have to be tiny like hemingways. find an anthology of short stories, each story may take you anywhere from 4 to 20 minutes to read

for sale, baby shoes, never worn

My dad used was recently fired from his job as a road workman. I didn't want to believe it but when I went home all the signs were there.

My wife told me she wanted to go on vacation to someplace she'd ever been before. I said great, how about the kitchen?

My wife and I made a deal in order to quit smoking we'd only smoke cigarettes after sex. I've had the same pack now since 1995. What bothers me is that she's up to 3 packs a day.

I'm so fat I went to the doctor. He told me to open my mouth and say "oink"

It's funny but it needs a punchline

A magician was working on a cruise ship.

Since the audience was different each week, the magician did the same tricks over and over again. There was only one problem: The captain's bratty 10-year-old son saw the shows each week and began to understand how the Magician did every trick.

Once he understood, he started shouting in the middle of the show, "Look, it's not the same hat!" or, "Look, he's hiding the flowers under the table!" Or "Hey, why are all the cards the ace of spades?"

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything. It was, after all, the Captain's son.

Then one stormy night on the Pacific, the ship unfortunately sank.

The magician luckily found himself on a piece of wood floating in the middle of the sea, as fate would have it ... With the Captain's young son.

They stared at each other with hatred, but did not utter a word.

This went on for a day... And then 2 days. And then 3 days. Finally on the 4th day, the young boy could not hold back any longer and said...

"Okay, I give up. Where's the ship?"

I can prove God exists, if I could just find that damn receipt from our brunch in heaven.

In my opinion if we are going to fight the war on terror, a good place to start would be our country’s haunted houses.

You know, I’m old enough to remember back to simpler more innocent times. When the worst thing you’d hear about the news, was hijacked jet airliners flying into buildings.

none of these are funny you autists

I don't get no respect

3 guys are hiking through the woods when they find a lamp. One of them picks it up, rubs it, and out pops a Genie.
It booms "You have finally freed me after all these years, so I'll grant each one of you 3 wishes." The first guy immediately blurts out "I want a billion dollars." POOF, he's holding a printout that shows his account balance is now in fact 1,000,000,003.50
The second man thinks for a bit, then says "I want to be the richest man alive." POOF, he's holding papers showing his net worth is now well over 100 billion.
The third guy thinks even longer about his wish, then says "I want my left arm to rotate clockwise for the rest of my life." POOF, his arm starts rotating.
The Genie tells them it's time for their second wish.
First guy says: "I want to be married to the most beautiful woman on earth." POOF, a stunning beauty wraps herself around his arm.
Second guy says "I want to be good-looking and charismatic, so I can have every girl I want." POOF, his looks change and the first guy's wife immediately starts flirting with him.
Third guy says "I want my right arm to rotate counter-clockwise until I die." POOF, now both his arms are rotating, in opposite directions.
The genie tells them to think very carefully about their third wish.
First guy does, and after a while says "I never want to become sick or injured, I want to stay healthy until I die." POOF, his complexion improves, his acne is gone and his knees don't bother him any more.
Second guy says "I never want to grow old. I want to stay 29 forever." POOF, he looks younger already.
Third guy smiles triumphantly and says "My last wish is for my head to nod back and forth." POOF, he's now nodding his head and still flailing his arms around. The genie wishes them good luck, disappears, and the men soon go their separate ways.
Many years later they meet again and chat about how things have been going. First guy is ecstatic: "I've invested the money and multiplied it many times over, so me and my family will be among the richest of the rich pretty much forever. My wife is a freak in the sheets, and I've never gotten so much as a cold in all these years." Second guy smiles and says "Well, I built charities worldwide with a fraction of my wealth, I'm still the richest guy alive and also revered for my good deeds. I haven't aged a day since we last met, and yes, your wife is pretty wild in bed." Third guy walks in, flailing his arms around and nodding his head, and says: "Guys, I think I fucked up."

What's the joke here?

Indeed

so my good friend bobby was working at his supermarket job when this customer approached him holding a cabbage in his hand

"excuse me, but you seem to have run out of half cabbages"

"Sorry sir, we don't seem to stock those anymore"

"What!" The customer snapped, "I don't need a full cabbage and you know what? It's fucking disgusting that you're not selling half cabbages anymore" the fruit'n'veg section went silent

"Sorry sir, I'll go talk to my manager right now and im sure we can sort something out for you'"

bobby walked a few paces to the store room where his manager was taking stock. He burst open the swinging doors and began ranting to his manager

"There's this crazy customer outside who is demanding half cabbages and is making a total scene in the store!"

as this exited bobbys mouth, he realised that the door behind him was still swinging back and forth and that the customer would have most likely heard what bobby had to say about him.

"and there is this other customer, an absolute gentlemen, who also wants half a cabbage and has kindly brought this matter to my attention"

the door snapped shut.

bobby's manager took notice of bobby's quick wit and ability to cover up his mistake

"bobby I see what you just did there and I think we need more of that strategic thinking around the store. I want to send you to manager school in Montreal."

"Montreal?" bobby asked, "Isn't that in Canada?"

"Yes it is in Canada"

bobby frowned.

"There are two types of people from Canada; Hockey players, and prostitutes."

bobby's manager thought for a second,"But my wife's from Canada"

"oh, what team does she play for?"

What do you call a film about angry women?

A period piece.

A wealthy man had a little boy. For some reason, his first words were "ping pong ball". When the boy was old enough to speak, and understand birthdays and gifts and such (about three years old), he asked the boy "So son, what would you like for your birthday this year?" The boy said, "Daddy, I would like a pink ping pong ball." Father said "That's it? No trucks, no trains no puzzles?" The boy said "No, just a pink ping pong ball.

So the father gets him the pink ping pong ball and wraps it up. The boy is absolutely delighted. He takes the pink ping pong ball to his room, and the pink ping pong ball is never seen again.

A day before his 15th birthday, asked by his father, `Well my son, what would you like for your birthday?'

The son hesitated a moment and his father's thoughts leapt ahead to a new computer and similar things. However, his son had had a new computer only recently and could have a new one any time he wished.

Finally, the son said, `Father, I have everything a boy could wish for, but there is one thing I would really like. I would love to have five pink ping pong balls.

The father was rather astonished at this wish, but said, `If it is pink ping pong balls that you want, a pink ping pong balls you shall have.

And so, the next day, the son was given as his birthday presents five pink ping pong balls.

The boy took the pink ping pong balls to his room and the next morning the pink ping pong balls were gone. The father was mildly surprised but decided not to say anything. The pink ping pong balls, however, was never seen again.

The next year, a day before his 16th birthday, the father asked his son what he would like for his birthday.

`Father,' replied the son, `I have everything a boy could possibly wish for, but there is one thing I would really, really like. I would love to have a ten pack of pink ping pong balls.'

The father was more surprised than the year before, but kept his curiosity at bay, for he knew that his son had a right for privacy. He said therefore, `If it is a ten pack of pink ping pong balls that you want, a ten pack of pink ping pong balls you shall have.'

And so, the next day, the son was given as his birthday present a ten pack of pink ping pong balls.

The boy took the ten pack of pink ping pong balls to his room and the next morning, not a single ping pong ball remained, merely the empty husk of the ten pack. The father wondered where ten pink ping pong balls might disappear to, but decided not to say anything. The pink ping pong balls, however, were never seen again.

The next year, a day before his 17th birthday, the son was asked by his father what he would like for his birthday.

`Father,' said the son to this, `I have everything a boy could wish for, but one thing would make my happiness complete. I would dearly want a carton of pink ping pong balls.'

The father was beyond surprise, but decided to make sure he had not misheard. `A carton of pink ping pong balls?'

`A carton of pink ping pong balls,' the boy confirmed.

`I can't understand your fascination with pink ping pong balls,' said the father, `but if it is a carton of pink ping pong balls that you want, it is a carton of pink ping pong balls that you shall have.'

And so, the next day, the boy was given as his birthday present a carton of pink ping pong balls.

The boy was delighted and took the carton to his room. The next day, miraculously (as if by magic, even) the pink ping pong balls had all disappeared.

`Dear son,' said the father, `I must ask now, what do you do with all those pink ping pong balls?'

The son, however, was reluctant to tell him. `Please humor me, dear father.'

The carton of pink ping pong balls, however, was never seen again.

The next year, it was clear that the son would get a car, but the father felt that, perhaps, his son also had some other wish apart from the obvious. So, one day before the son's 18th birthday, the father asked him whether he had a special wish for his birthday.

`Dearest father,' the son started, `I have everything a young man could possibly want, but there is one craving in me. I would, more than anything, want a warehouse full of pink ping pong balls.'

One of these years, his father thought, I should get to the bottom of this. However, he decided to humor his son's wish. At least he had been wise enough to buy shares in a pink ping pong ball factory.

The next day, the son was given the address of a warehouse where all his new pink ping pong balls were stored. The son was delighted and decided to spend the next night in the warehouse rather than at home.

The following morning, the son stepped out of the warehouse, but it seemed to be empty otherwise. The father had a closer look and indeed, apart from empty cardboard boxes, nothing was left inside the warehouse. No pink ping pong balls were left.

The following year, one day before the son's 19th birthday, the father braced himself for another warehouse of pink ping pong balls. He asked his son what his deepest desire was and he had not been entirely wrong.

`Father, you have made me very happy these last years and this year I ask of you a shipload of pink ping pong balls if at all possible.'

It was possible, if only because the father had by now bought each and every factory of pink ping pong balls in the country.

The next day, the father took his son to the harbor and showed him a huge tanker and told his son that there were millions, billions, trillions of pink ping pong balls in there.

`Father,' the son said, `You've made me very happy yet again.'

That night, the son spent on board the tanker.

The next morning, not a single of the pink ping pong balls could be found, but the son was happy.

A few days before his 20th birthday, however, the son had a terrible road accident and was taken to the hospital.

His father visited the young man in hospital. `My dear son! Can I bring you anything to make you feel better?'

Weakly, the son sat up in bed. `Father, dearest father, grant me this wish; just one ten pack of pink ping pong balls.'

The father held his son's hand tightly. `Whatever you wish my son, but I have to give you one condition. Even if it may be embarrassing, I must know what you did with all those pink ping pong balls.'

`Very well, father, but please indulge me first. I will tell you whatever you wish to know after you have given me the ten pink ping pong balls.'

The father thought that was fair enough and the next day brought his son the ten asked for pink ping pong balls. The son smiled weakly but seemed too weak to talk.

Son, I leave these pink ping pong balls with you and shall come back tomorrow to ask of you what you have done with all those pink ping pong balls.

The son nodded weakly.

The next day, less than surprisingly, no pink ping pong balls could be found in the son's hospital room.

Now, my dearest son, apple of my eye, treasure of my life, please tell me what you did with all those pink ping pong balls, the father requested.

The son nodded and the father gripped his hand tighter.

`I-' the son started and sat up a bit, swallowing with a dry mouth.

`I- I-'

Then he died.

so fucking terrible but I couldn't help it