/stack/ recent purchases

/stack/ recent purchases

Other urls found in this thread:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kys stack spammer.

Is there any reason why one would buy the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

To read it.

to look like a fucking delusional schizophrenic having it on a shelf or reading it in public

Just picked these up, where should I start?

OP, are you a new reader?

cant decide where to start

I don't see any Greeks there, so you'd better start with a different stack. Half of it is trash anyways.

samefag attention-whore

wrong friendo

>I don't see any Greeks there
Why would anyone bother to read the ramblings of sexist old men that have been dead for thousands of years?

I don't think he/she needs to read the Greeks to fully grasp 1984...

Stop lying. That's clearly the same copy of The Brother karamazov

totally is though!

Well, I mentioned that half of the stack is trash.

Cbf to put up a picture but I bought a fat compendium of all the key sociological writings assembled Talcott Parsons. Whole thing is like 1500 pages. Only cost a dollar. Also bought Kwame Appiah's Cosmopolitanism

Not knowing it's available online, free of charge and in its entirety:
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

is "mythology" by Edith Hamilton any good?

The two books "as it is" and "the science of self realization" I didn't go out of my way to buy, a "traveling monk" walking down the street gave them to me and then asked for a donation, so I gave him 5 bucks.

I got The Last Days of Socrates, because we spent a whole semester reading that book in philosophy class, so I wanted to have a nice copy.

I also have End Game by Samuel Beckett coming in the mail, but I figure enough has come for me to make a post about it.

I also got a copy of folio poets edition of the poems of coleridge and wordsworth, which are awkward to try to lay on their side and include in the picture (they're in slip cases and the names are only on the spines)

Ah, I remember being 20 and trying to impress people with stacks of books I bought but didn't read.
>Don't know where to start
Just pick one faggot. You've got 2 masterpieces, 1 very good book, one useful book, and 3 pieces of dogshit. With half a brain and some focus you should be done with all of them in less than two weeks.

>be done with all of them in two weeks
Maybe if you're a dumbass "speed reader" and don't try to attain anything from the texts, or contemplate parts of it which meaning isn't immediately apparent. Fucking Christ.

>The two books "as it is" and "the science of self realization" I didn't go out of my way to buy, a "traveling monk" walking down the street gave them to me and then asked for a donation, so I gave him 5 bucks.
Hey same, it was a bizarre experience.
Melbourne local?

woah there philip roth
some of aren't retarded and have better reading comprehension than you
did your mommy tell you that even though you read slower than the other kids you're a special boy?

>Melbourne local
No, I'm from Cleveland. Did you get a hardcover book too? I only had a 5 so he asked for one of them back, I didn't catch what the title was.

Hare Krishnas are everywhere. I work in a used book shop in Sydney and we get at least two of those As It Is Gitas a week

What are some considerably good books that are around 100~ pages? Reading a book a day and are about to finish The Da Vinci Code (read small stories to compensate for the length) and was wondering what I can read after, preferably non-fiction though I am fine with anything.

Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, Story Of The Eye by George Bataille

Shachnovelle by Zweig.

>recent purchases

None. I have zero urge to show off to people so I illegally download books and read them on an e-reader.

Read the former two though I didn't realize that Story of the Eye had that length, remember seeing it on on another thread seeing it as far longer for whatever reason. Will read it after , thank-you for the recommendations. About to finish The Da Vinci Code, what did you guys think about it?

Don't know how good this is though should I read through Kaleidoscope 2? Tried finding a pdf of Schanovelle and came across it. Don't know how good it is.

i d recommend 'after virtue' by macintyre

Sobrados e Mucambos Vol. 1 e 2 - Gilberto Freyre
(Brazilian sociology)

Don Quixote de La Mancha Vol. 1 e 2 - Cervantes

Historia y antologia da poesia espanhola Vol. 1 e 2 - Sainz de Robles
(History and antology of spanish poetry)

Il duomo di Monreale
(photos and history of Monreale Cathedral)

i like

The Greeks

>The Conquest of Bread

Why does that book have such an epic title for something that is probably another 19th century anti-capitalist book about DUDE STARVATION AND COLLECTIVE FOOD PRODUCTION AND SHIT

Plenty of books are available online in their entirety but people still buy them for a number of reasons

Most of these should be around that mark

Try Finnegans Wake

>You've got 2 masterpieces, 1 very good book, one useful book, and 3 pieces of dogshit.
Am I supposed to guess which one's which?

Why do you have to be an ILLITERATE FAGGOT?

>the official "i started reading Veeky Forums two weeks ago" -starter package

I'm not the one that said it but I'm gonna guess the two masterpieces are Ulysses, Brothers Karmazov, the very good one is Master and Margarita, the useful one is Russian course and the rest dogshit,.

I work in a used book store, and more often than not we have to turn away any books that were sold through book fairs and the like because we cannot resell them, so seeing all of that scholastic is a little triggering to me...

Never heard a bad word about Stoner though; it seems to be almost universally loved. Ulysses, on the other hand...

I also work in a used bookstore and my manager has never informed me of anything like that. We have a bunch of scholastic shit for sale right now. Are we going to go to jail?

lots of things are universally loved but are not masterpieces. I don't think universal acclaim is what makes a masterpiece. I think a lot of what makes a truly outstanding work is the impact it creates. By that standard no one can deny Ulysses success.

If you look on the back it usually tells you that the edition is only available for distribution through the school market. It’s kinda the same as selling advanced readers copies, at least at my store. It’s just our policy.

To be fair though, I have not read Stoner.

>It’s kinda the same as selling advanced readers copies

We sell those too!

FUCK WE'RE GONNA GO TO JAIL

are you enjoying freshmen year at uni so far?

>FUCK WE'RE GONNA GO TO JAIL

Probably not but the store owner could get a huge fine

Yeah, I don’t know if anyone would care really but I would think if you are profiting off of ARC’s and the publisher were to find out, they might not be too happy about it.

Actually I'm not in school and when I was they didn't talk about stuff like this.

Why don't you read the letters of famous people and good writers? It's like Wikileaks but you are reading the unfiltered remarks of good people, not scoundrels (for the most part). Is seven dollars a pop too much for these?

I got a 25 euro giftcard.
Is The Pelopponesian War translation by Finley the best out there?

if you want them and read them, theyre a good deal...if not theyre $7 overpriced

Ya, I agree, but I'm starting a small used book operation, just wanted to get a feel for pricing

>Is seven dollars a pop too much for these?
The Dickinson one is $33 new on Amazon.

Ya, but you can snipe them on ThriftBooks for 4. A lot of them retail around forty, that is why I thought they would be a good product to sell used. I just didn't know if there was a general appeal for letters or if I am just strange for enjoying them.

Got my hands on Journey to the West and Woman of the Dunes.
Pretty happy with it.
(The chinese collection isn’t absolute shit now)

Are you german and read most of your books in english or the other way round?

Dubs gets to choose which one I read first

You think anyone gives a fuck to roll for that

Paradise Lost & Regained
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
The Canterbury Tales
The World of Yesterday
The Corrections
The Last of the Mohicans
The Sound of Waves
The Sheltering Sky
Os Sertões
The Western Canon
Film Theory and Criticism 3rd ed
A Short History of the Movies
Five Dialogues
The Republic of Plato translated by Cornford
A History of Western Philosophy by W.T. Jones

Got all of this for $9

Maybe?

Might as well just repost the same pic over and over.
There's no variety here whatsoever.

Meditations obv, throw out the rest

I reference it all the time.

>scholastic
>TROLL
what did they mean by this?

Tira aquela foto esperta, meu camarada.

Alce, onde você conseguiu esses livros tão baratos?

>leviathan
>freshman year
lmao

>implying that Leviathan isn't there just for show

Read Lolita at a children's park.

Rerolling for this

to find really cheap books, all you have to do is live somewhere that doesn't have a criminal organization for a government. Sinto muito irmão

How is your BK so small..?

T. godless bugman.

Imaging being so arrogant to believe that God doesn't exist.

just the angle user

Hang yourself and die as you lived: a slave. Perhaps you'll meet your maker.

Read Dominic Levin's , check out his Russia vs Napolean too.

One of my favorite Kremlinologist/historians.

>puffin
>abridged huck finn
bait?

MUH SLAVE MORALITY

T. bugman. Never has an original thought, just regurgitates drivel from widely-read thinkers. It must suck resenting your cultural roots and being so soulless you reject any form of higher spirituality as long as it isn't some new age bugman philosophy like "optimistic nihilism". Dude, everything is absurd. Dude, were all gonna die. Dude, life has no meaning. Go and watch Rick and Morty, eat some colourful cereal made of God-knows how many hormone damaging chemicals, take a bong hit then when you're done neck yourself, bugman.

A lot of assumptions and projections in your shitpost, faggot; as expected. I'm sure you had plenty of original thoughts while reading 2000 year old thoughts. Take a leap of faith in the sewers, maggot. Or stay, but make sure to lurk more. Spewing shitposts full of buzzwords doesn't help you fit in. You're not special for doing what you're told, and only when it suits you. Neck yourself.

>Implying i'm religious.
Lol at this reddit-tier argument template. Pointing to non-existent buzzwords like you aren't a Redditor. Please go back, bugman.

>bugman
what does this mean?

>Alinsky
>Lolita

Figures.

Voltaire by Candide

It's just a book trying to debunk the "nature is selfish xD". It just posits that no human civilization would exist if it weren't for co-operation, which I'm sure you equate to "collectivism".

What's Beckett's poetry like?

Rate my stack.

It's much more arrogant to think that there was a god who created man in his own image. The idea that man came about by chance is much more humbling

honestly stack threads would be better if it were stacks of books that people recently read instead of recently purchased.

Idk yet, I buy books before I read them.

stoner is a book for people who don't read good books

1/2