Whats your current book rotation?

I'm currently reading the following *please refer to the picture* philosophical novels/novellas/text books right now and i was wondering if you had any recommendations to my reading list

Other urls found in this thread:

webometrics.info/en/node/58
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wowie

nice OP!
have you checked out Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzsche and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand?
I heartily recommend them

Island sucks

You might like pic related, super interesting and influential

Unabashed cross post because it's relevant, trying to read German Romanticist poetry, philosophy, play and novel at the same time for full immersion

Godamn you're full petersonfag. I'd say read the Greeks or Bible after all that Jung and Dostoe you're due for it. You'd like Hesse, Demian and Steppenwolf both have a lot of Jung and Nietzschean influence
When do you graduate highschool?

I'm , this is a peterson shitpost bait thread so I made juvenile and garbage suggestions

lmao fair enough, the irony is way to deep to pick up though

ffs OP and Harris, did I get master baited?

lmao at reading German poetry in translation
why even bother

I know, I made an exception for Holderlin because his philosophy and life were so integral to what i've been into lately

Warum lernst du nicht Deutsch? Es ist einfach.

Even if this is a bait thread, hopefully someone can benefit from my recommendations and maybe I can get a good rec or two based on my own pic.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is a great novella by Solzhenitsyn and his novel Cancer Ward is among my favorite pieces of longer fiction.

I'm going to assume you've read Huxley's Brave New World since you're reading Island? If you've also read Orwell's 1984, I would recommend Huxley's essay "Brave New World Revisited" for an interesting take on both works as well as ideas like governments' use of propoganda in general. I would also suggest Zamatyin's We as it falls into utopian/dystopic literature as well as Russian lit.

holy..
This is a good stack. I'd have no clue where to start!

nice Jordan Peterson starter kit you brainlet

A Farewell to Arms is just people drinking and talking.

thanks you too

Small, yes, but it's difficult to read for extended periods of time

but I don't have a Jordan Peterson starter kit.

probably why you're an unsorted faggot

this stack will go down in history

I came across a quote from Foucault that said something to the effect of "to know oneself is to take inventory of one's ideas."

I always try to remember where I learned things from.

You're late to the game but at least you're here. Props for buying books and not just watching Youtube.

You might want to be careful jumping into that very partisan curriculum you're setting yourself up for. If you mean to study religion please don't confine your approach to a psychological one.

>"to know oneself is to take inventory of one's ideas."

Sounds like something Jordan Peterson would say.

Too bad a "postmodernist" said it. Much more to this strange world than we had suspected indeed. Much more complicated than this or that man's particular grasp.

Oh one phrase out of a thousand is cromulent? wtf I'm a marxist now

late teen/early 20s heterosexual white male basic bitch

did you find the magic, witchcraft and religion class as well at your college?

>A humorous, intentionally morphologically opaque neologism coined by American television writer David X. Cohen (born 1966) for “Lisa the Iconoclast”, a 1996 episode of the animated sitcom The Simpsons.

well I don't feel bad for not knowing that word now

anyway I don't want to argue with you, I like that you're getting excited about ideas, I like that Peterson revived Jung from the dead for a non-scholarly audience, I like that he's getting people to read Dostoevsky. You'll get some good shit in Brothers Karamazov.

I dislike that the focal point of the lens is Jordan Peterson himself, whose thoughts have gained a wide audience through his (probably very unintentional) exploitation of political dynamics and social media rather than through their own merits.

He published Maps of Meaning in 1999, and my guess is Routledge has sold more copies in the last 30 days than in the first 15 years of its existence.

His Wikipedia page was created in 2011 by what appears to be a student of his. It changed little in the years between 2011 and 2016.

The kind of spotlight he is now obtaining is out of proportion to his influence as a scholar. Many people could have levied his critiques against the bill he protested against. He was in the right place in the right time and now he must resist the temptation to conclude that it is the merits of his work as a scholar which account for his popularity.

Surely there are similar figures. Howard Zinn was a minor historian by any account and gained a wide audience through his association with the antiwar and Civil Rights movements.

Peterson is not and never will be on the level of, say, Foucault or Jung. If he is able to promote the serious study of religion/history/psychology etc. through his popularity then I'm happy about it all. I think it is much more likely he will be exploited by the audience that made him, since that audience is (in large part) so ignorant it sees the world through a primarily political lens and only longs for a powerful spokesman to articulate ideas they already possess.

Fact: people that post pictures of their book stacks never read more than 10% of the content pictured

fedora tipper and petersonfag at the same time?
must be b8

Peterson has his name on 120 research papers and has been cited over 5500 times, I think his scholarly influence is just fine.

If you're not going to take me seriously then I won't take you seriously. That's a very paltry response to what I think was a pretty friggin good critique of The Cult of Peterson. Good luck and happy reading.

For the record 120 papers and 5500 citations is not at all unusual for a typical professor of Jordan's age, especially for someone who works in psychology.

For serious citation numbers see: webometrics.info/en/node/58

>I think his scholarly influence is just fine.
Because you don't know what you are talking about.

So what would you sugest he be reading instead?

Serious question.

Everyone follows their own trajectory in the world of ideas. I hope he reads everything in his stack and does it honestly and seriously. I hope he finishes and ends up with more questions than answers, and a few ideas about what he needs to read next to answer them. I hope he is forced in the course of his reading to abandon long held assumptions that he doesn't want to let go of.

This is my hope for everyone. Crack the stability of your mind open, the little chunk of ideas that you use to create your identity, because chances are if you're young and haven't been reading, what you believe about reality is entirely wrong and was placed into your mind by forces outside of you. The name of the game is to destroy that nexus, not to replace it with one even more rigid and certain.

Kek

Contributing.

I didn't want to start my own thread but I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations based on the last two books I read and enjoyed, which were Bleeding Edge, and Oryx & Crake

You are such a fucking asset to this board.