Actual Stoicism is based

Actual Stoicism is based.

Stoicism as practiced by numales who read Meditations once and think Aurelius is a model Stoic is not. Every time I see someone start talking about being a "Stoic" and citing Marcus I'm reminded that even something so seemingly esoteric as Stoicism attracts more dilettantes and pretenders than actual practitioners.

Regardless, anyone who is serious about practicing Stoicism will eventually encounter Theravada Buddhism and realize that it's very similar but superior in every way.

"Stoicism" is very popular among Chads who want to pretend to be philosophers and numales who want to pretend to be emotionless hardasses. The numale stereotype, the liberal atheist who thinks he's really smart and always wants to impress people with how educated and worldly he is, will almost always cite Stoicism as his personal philosophy. He imagines that this provides him with a moral structure without the need to rely on religion (showing how little Stoic writing he's actually read) and he knows that the average person will know absolutely nothing about it, so that even his minimal knowledge will seem impressive.

I see this a lot and it's almost always the same kind of guys doing it. You can basically tell whether someone has a brain or is just a retarded dilettante based on which Stoics they mention by name. If someone cites Epictetus, they're probably ok. If someone cites Aurelius, there's an extremely high likelihood that they're a numale poser. That's just the facts, boys.

Like the first fucking page of Meditations is Aurelius mentioning how thankful he is to the friend who loaned him a copy of Epictetus' discourses. Come on man, apply yourself.

Stoicism is a practical philosophy and Epictetus' discourses are intended to explain it so that readers can understand it in both theory and practice. It's intended to teach you.

Aurelius' writings are, again his own personal diary intended primarily to aid him in keeping certain things in mind which he had already learned. It offers very little in the way of explanation because, again, he was writing it for his own personal use. It's interesting from a historical and biographical standpoint but virtually useless from a philosophical one. More importantly, it offers absolutely nothing new. This is not necessarily a criticism, because it wasn't intended to. It is just Marcus writing down things he wants to remember from his readings of philosophy.

It's like we have a novel and a guy who wrote a book report on it and you're here saying that you don't see the difference between the two and that you actually prefer the book report to the original work. It's sad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yu7n0XzqtfA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Refrain from posting. That would be the ultimate Stoic move. Thank you.

>You can basically tell whether someone has a brain or is just a retarded dilettante based on which Stoics they mention by name.
>mentions Aurelius 7 times
>mentions Epictetus 3 times
>mentions Seneca 0 times
Yes, I think this case is clear.

haha [STOICED.COM]

I saw that thread on Veeky Forums too.

>claims to be a stoic
>posts a long post about how much other people's actions annoy him

>stoiced.com

I would watch that

Tell me more about Stoicism I only have a mild familiarity with it

>asking a shitposter to teach you something

Just read the Meditations

>mentions rufus 0 times

Found the psued

Didn't add anything to conversation, but good to know you can skim Wiki.

kill yourself you dubm fucking nigger

Good stoic response there user

Philosophy is for gaylords Tbh

>Ooh you've got a huge cock
>You should not become attached to a particular cock, as you may lose the cock, and that way lies grief. Instead say that you love cock in general, and you will go on well. When you are gaspingly thirsty for cock, take a very small cock, then make him pull out before climax, and tell no one.

>being too much of a pussy to go full cynic
yeah nah stoicism is for intellectual cowards and bureaucrats like Aurelius lmao

So, what should I read?

Epictetus

Atlas Shrugged

The ashes of Diogenes' plays

>Stoicism is a practical philosophy
so is marxism and hedonism and stirnerism, yet all are garbage because they never approach what is truly essential, meaningful and transcended in life. So they have no grounding, they merely offer momentary, bodily and psychological "utility" allowing the individual to rationalize his sins and sin in comfort.

>Regardless, anyone who is serious about practicing Stoicism will eventually encounter Theravada Buddhism and realize that it's very similar but superior in every way.

only because theravada buddhism actually has a decent metaphysic to it...yet it isn't much better or truthful either, again it focuses on "pragmatism" and appeasing the individual, teaching him how to be comfortable with his environment and choices....blah

>sins

>the average person will know absolutely nothing about it
Life in the US must be hell.

>muh metaphysics
We moved on from that bullshit for a reason.

Considering that the average person still believes in fate, I hardly think abandoning the study of metaphysics was a wise decision. It is clearly important, and without the popularisation of intelligent metaphysics, like those found in Hinduism or Judeo-Christianity, you get hacks like Deepak Chopra making millions.

>I've become mesmerized by appearances
>appearance IS reality

>meaningful and transcended in life.
laff at this spooked 20 yo boy

>right and wrong are spooks
>it's wrong to be spooked

>dude like reality dont real, have you watched the matrix

>it's wrong to be spooked
Stirner never said this.

>I share the same primitive materialist myopia as hedonists and consumerist lumpenproles, and I'm proud if it!

Disregard of metaphysics is disregard of philosophy.

>adherence to one of the schools of metaphysical thought is disregard for metaphysics
>le playbayans
Wew, you actually are a 20 year old DUDE MATRIX hipster. Top yourself as soon as possible.

>*gives meaningful and philosophical critique*
>"lol sp00gs x-DDD"
This is why Stirnerists are the niggers of philosophy.

haha what do you have their comradE? oh? you have something to show me comrade? is it sosmething interesting?? interdasting? im intrigued, do please show it comrade
oh look comrade, there's somethign rong with it comrade. its wr5ong. somethings wrong about it. you mustn't've checked it thoroughly comrade. its wrong comrade.
SSSSPSPooopppoOPOPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSS
ID IDS A SPOOK YOU"VE BEEN SPIOKKING YOURSELVES SPOOKY SPOOKY HAHAHAHAHA LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO SPOOOOKY SPOOKY PSOOKY IN MY UNDIES XDDDDDDDDD SPOOOOOOOOOOKKIE SPOOKMANIA LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO SPOOOOKS
SPOOK
SPSPPSPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSOOSKKKKKKKKKKKK

>political and moral philosophies are ""bad"" because they're not metaphysics
>meaningful and philosophical critique
You have to be over 18 to use this website.

>I'm reminded that even something so seemingly esoteric as Stoicism attracts more dilettantes and pretenders than actual practitioners.

WAIT WHAT

pseuds like stoicism?

you dont say

lol I bet that faggot even watched matrix

>18
lol spooked much?

>implying i ever said non-metaphysical philosophy was bad n shiet
>implying i didn't just shartpost to jimmyrustle a stirnerfag
>implying all these things and then assuming you yourself are not sp00g
i am become the laughing.

Homer

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

WE MOVED ON FROM METAPHYSICS

PHILOSOPHERS BTFO

M O V E O N
O
V
E
O
N

Metaphysics not grounded in reality (in other words, most of it) is literal fanfiction. Kill yourself delusional cuck.

Except you didn't actually say anything except play with empty, vague fantasy in rhetoric.

Oh shit we're done?
GUYS, WERE FREE, METAPHYSICS IS OVER

Thanks man, i loved meditations and i have put Epictetus Discourses and Selected Writings in my list of books to buy.

Stoicism is the ulimate edgy athiest numale pseud philosophy, it doesnt matter if you cite Seneca or Epictetus or Aurelius. What matters is the fact that you're reading overexplained "so deep!" platitudes. The stoic at 23 is the same guy that read "the art of Manliness" and other such self help trash at 19.

>edgy athiest numale pseud
wtf i hate stoicism now

what about neoplatonic universal oneness is atheist?

>mfw this is actually me

it's okay I dropped all that and now I am suicidal, unmotivated, and depressed like a cool Veeky Forums poster

There can never be stoics on this website. If some goes out of his way to say they are stoics they stop being stoics. As a social encounter stoicism is The Game of philosophy.

>"Stoicism" is very popular among Chads who want to pretend to be philosophers and numales who want to pretend to be emotionless hardasses. The numale stereotype, the liberal atheist who thinks he's really smart and always wants to impress people with how educated and worldly he is, will almost always cite Stoicism as his personal philosophy.

I mean I see what you're getting at, but usually "nihilism" is what I see here. The difference between pop-(i.e. not)-nihilism and pop-(i.e. not)-stoicism is that pop-stoics can be religious while pop-nihilists aren't. If I had to gamble, I'd bet more self proclaimed pop-stoics are right winged and christian simply because lefties have their own flag to wave.

Stay woke, resist the eternal stoic!

Its atheistic in the same way Budhism is atheistic especially when practiced by soyboys. A modern stoic will always be agressive towards actual religions because its the egotistical self help aspect that they seek out, they praise it for being "practical".

Depression should be treated by a professional, not by charlatans and dead diary fags.

Every stoic I know just wants to deny his own shortcomings and feel superior while not acting any different then anyone else.

Stoics are autistic cucks

this

We actually didn't.

I don't know who you've met to make you believe that about modern stoics. ascesis is found is almost every religion and is a primary component of stoicism

Quotes from my stoic friend:

>"Yeah sometimes when I watch Rick and Morty, Rick drops a truth bomb, and I have to ponder it for like 30 minutes."
>*Sniffs coke*
>"Yeah Stoicism is about realising its all bullshit man, over 2000 years the same fucking shit, none of it matters."
>*More cocaine*
>"Hahaha fuck girls man, Mgtow is the only way forward."
>*Shows me his favorite 'I fucking love science' memes*

what's stoic about any of that? he's clearly using the wrong word, you should blame him rather than the philosophy.

Kevin McDonald

>X is something my friend calls X
Tell me this is bait.

Well he has read every important stoic philosopher and incorporates their quotes in his daily life.
If we get into Why people have distorted stoicism in this way, I would repeat myself and say its because of the "so deep!" oneliners. I think stoics are interesting in a historical sense, but if you think they are the smartest people ever you are cringy as fuck.

philosophy without metaphysics, without objective ethics and transcendent truths, without distinguishing the Absolute from the relative, is not philosophy at all, it doesn't come close to wisdom... it's scientism and mental masturbation, alienation and disintegration and being mired in illusion and trapped in subjectivity like an animal

>No true Stoic..

>theists on my Veeky Forums
I stopped seeking God when I was 14 and read Carl Sagan and Dennett, then at 16 I read Nietzsche then by 19 I found Foucault and Stirner and became euphoria and free and gay

Why don't you talk to him about his hypocrisy?

ok

I have, but he always shrugs it off. For instance I talk about him embracing a higher power to follow Stoic teachers more precisely, he then says that goes against the Stoic principles of Logic.

only the fool says in his heart 'there is no god'

That's not how it works, brainlet.
That means you have the problem with his interpretation, if that can even be called such, not with stoicism per se.

No fuck you, ofcourse I am gonna judge a philosophy based on how its adherents act irl.

He's obviously not an adherent of Stoicism if he doesn't understand what it is and isn't practicing it. You are just being obtuse.

my younger brother considers himself a stoic
he read a bunch of books and at one point was heavy into marcus aurelius meditations.

my brother is an idiot neet with few social skills and very little going for him, if it wasnt for his mother taking care of him and then now the burden fell on me to take care of his lazy ass he would be in deeper shit than he is now.

i also know someone from the marines that considered himself a stoic, also read into the meditations and even did some presentations on the "benefits" of stoicism.

he got kicked out of the marines for drinking and driving, kept up with him on facebook for a bit and he appears to be lying through his teeth about how his life is going well, his mother reached out to me one day telling me how he isnt doing anything with his life, and she suspects him from suffering from ptsd.
which cant be true because he never deployed.

lastly the only other person i know who claims stoicism is an exe's cousin, she was 22 when i met her, had never held down a job, barely made it through highschool, had no plans for college but was clearly a "smart" girl. she would talk to you about philosphy and random "intellectual" subjects till your ears fall off. she considered herself an "autodidac"? and genuinly belived she was too good for a formal education since its just a piece of paper. if you can envision an unhealthily skinny white girl that doesn't take care of herself, peach fuzz all over her face, fuzzy arms, smelling like old fish and dirty teeth/bad breath. its her.
even after a few years my ex and i are still friendly her cousin is not doing anything with her life and is essentially a female neet parasite.

given my experiences with stoics, im going to assume everyone who claims to be a stoic is just a parasite and a neet.

which is interesting because when i read into it, this isn't really the ideology of stoicism.

but it seems to be the people it attracts.

fucking parasites.

Stoicism is stupid. Neither Epictetus nor Aurelius offer anything better than Confucian style maxims based on nothing.

One can always reason with reason

seriously, fuck stoics

This was a v v v v good critique of stoicism and also atheists doesn’t anyone else hare people who don’t believe in Santa ??????

fucking chads and numales and liberals, yeh you go get em!

wrong wrong wrong. Euclid or nothing.

>A philosophy has adherents that don't completely understand it or practice it.
>Not a shitty philosophy.

That's really bad reasoning and I think you know that.

youtube.com/watch?v=yu7n0XzqtfA

>this band doesn't actually make great music after all because it has a shitty fanbase

You're like a little baby, watch this. Interdimensional, shapeshifting child molesters.

>complaining about neets and parasites
>on 4chin

Epictetus is a fucking fag. What has made Aurelius so long lasting is that he wasn't a master or anything. He was just practicing Stoicism and keeping a journal and notes to himself. It makes it much more palatable to the average person and more capable of relating to.

>essential, meaningful and transcended in life
>sins
Nice essentially meaningless statements that transcend the accepted nature of words conveying non-nebulous and non-worthless concepts

>Actual Stoicism is based.

No. Stoicism is the result of the only actually existing democracy in history being crushed by incompetence and greed. Because that is human nature. But instead of admitting it, Stoics pretend to be satisfied, and turn everything on it's head, losing is really winning, powerlessness is really freedom.

Marcus Aurelius was the emperor, he was supposed to be the ONE free man in the Roman shitstain, living by his own will fi no one else did. Instead some pederast Greek Stoic "teacher" made him a mental cuck, unable to rule or to control his empire, leaving it in the hands of an incompetent heir after wasting his own life sobbing self-contentedly to his diary.

Stoicism is a philosophy for slaves and cucks. Which is why all you cunts love it, because you have no power and no control, yet you have to pretend to be free, because freedom is the noble lie our system is based on, so otherwise you would be shown to admit being a failure.

And yes, most people are dumber than you, but that does not make you smart, honest, or free.

>Theravada
>Not Mahayana
Come on son what are you even doing with yourself

unironically the Enchiridion (Handbook) by Epictetus

>Aurelius was an emperor
>Epictetus was the slave of a slave
Who would have had a "masters" education hmmm......

The heart is the metaphorical seat of emotions, so yes, since God existing would make people feel nice because heaven, only a retard would want there to be no God. But only the fool says in his brain "there is a God"

Good post.

Of course these cunts want the emperor stoic and not the slave stoic and that's basically all there is to their preference.

>he literally just posted 'nice spooks' in fancy writing
Holy shit fuck off faggot.

0/10

>he literally doesn't understand what a spook is

>ad hominems
>appeals to emotions
>twisting historical realities
>no actual arguments against stoic ideas

Buddhism isn't even atheistic, it just doesn't have one prime creator God. The gods in Buddhism are subject to karma like everything else.

Buddhism would probably be closest to something like agnosticism, because it's goal was never to provide you with metaphysical answers. It was a path to escape suffering, that is all.

>Marcus Aurelius was the emperor, he was supposed to be the ONE free man in the Roman shitstain, living by his own will fi no one else did. Instead some pederast Greek Stoic "teacher" made him a mental cuck, unable to rule or to control his empire, leaving it in the hands of an incompetent heir after wasting his own life sobbing self-contentedly to his diary.
Don't forget that he was also a junky.

Pretty easy to say 'don't worry about it bro' with the fattest stash in the empire.

I'd say apatheist polytheistic, kind of like the Greek lad who also had a four part cure to suffering.

Marcus Aurelio the best emperor of Roman civilization