What am I doing wrong on my sear?

What am I doing wrong on my sear?

Attached: 20180315_172513-477870.jpg (675x900, 61K)

yes.

>pan not hot enough
>use less or no oil
>salt the steak ahead of time, let rest, then pat dry right before it goes in the pan

Attached: 20180221_203245.jpg (1512x1590, 1.54M)

did you even let the pan heat, like at all?
with cast iron over a flame, turn it to medium and just let it go for 10-15 minutes before you cook.
also looks like you smothered it in butter or something other than oil before putting it in the pan, i honestly can't tell. don't do that

turn up the fuckn heat

your fat is still cold
like dude it's supposed to be at least warm when you sear stuff

Not doing one.

Let your steak sit out for 2 hours before cooking. You want that pan to be 500 degrees F, 3 minutes on each side. Cook steak with butter. Let sit for 15 minutes. You're welcome.

these.
Let your beef come to room temp before cooking and make sure your cast iron is literally smoking before adding the meat.

Looks like your pan wasn't hot enough before you put the steak in. For some reason there's still fat that hasn't melted, and the meat doesn't look properly seared

literally got a nice steak waiting ready to go.

Let me see if I've got this right:

>Let it sit, come to room temp (had it out for at least an hour and a half - check)
>salt that motherfucker, then pat dry before pan time
>Get that pan hot as fuck, like god damn smokin
>Butter that bitch
>3 min each side

?

then put inn anus

>Let sit 15 minutes.
>Profit.

if you salt ahead of time, doesnt the meat become dry? i heard its best to salt right before cooking, but im not sure who or where i got that from.

Don't butter before you sear it

put butter in pan, let it melt/bubble/liquify a sec, throw steak in

I would use coarse salt. It naturally tenderizes the meat. Salting ahead of time draws moisture out, but it doesn't dry it. If anything it'll intensify the flavor a bit.

was the steak thawed out?

interesting. i must experiment with this, thank you.

No, salting ahead of time won't dry out the steak. It will only bring out the moisture near the surface which is actually what you want for a proper sear. Pat that moisture off.

And like said, don't butter the steak. If you want to use butter sear the steak on both sides first, turn the heat down a little, then add butter and spoon it over the steak

you salt it when you take it out of the fridge. the salt will first draw the moisture out and then the moisture it will go back into the meat together with the salt

Your butter will burn.

do not butter you dolt

salt is the only seasoning that can go further than the outer layer of meat

NO. overlooking your fucking steak is what ‘dries it out’. Slaying the steak ahead of time removes excess moisture which IMPROVES the quality of the sear (which reduces chance of overcoming since you won’t be nursing the steak on the pan for 10 minutes trying to get the seat you want)

Fuck autocorrect. SALTING not slaying and OVERCOOKING not overcoming

dumb phoneposter
proofread your shit retard

use canola oil instead of butter to avoid horrible burning. you really don't need much, just a few drops on each side and rub it in

was your steak room temp?

It's more exciting the other way.