Drinking Tips for Budding Explorers

Hey Veeky Forums, I've seen quite a few alcohol threads, recommendations and otherwise, so for those who are relatively new to the game, I'd like to start a compendium of drinking tips for the beginners.

Attached: o-ALCOHOL-BAR-facebook.jpg (2000x1000, 253K)

stay hydrated, take folic acid and thiamine

And vitamin B

don't start

Obviously, for starters, never have beer after wine or liquor. Some say it's because of alcohol absorption rates, but I'm pretty sure it is the CO2 of the beer that is the belching factor and the wine/liquor that fails you in your ability to keep it just a belch.

For those doing samplers, try the darker beers before the lighter ones. Learned that one the hard way where I'd had a light beer before a stout and a bock, both of which were utterly disgusting. Going back to finish them off after an hour or so of light eating, they were not as bad. Still not my taste, but better than the first try.

I should also mention that it does not have to be just about beer. Tips on food/drink combos work too.

Gee, that's real helpful there, user. I'll try that next time I go on a wine tour or something.

While there is no "right" way to drink alcohol, some are meant to be drank in different ways.
Cheap tequila is shot, fine tequila is sipped.
Red wine is drank from a big, open glass to expose as much of it to air to oxidize the tannins and make it less bitter.
Whisky should be tried neat to taste what the distiller wanted to make, before adding ice or soda or whatever.
Cocktails are always fun dont let anyone talk shit about what youre drinking

Drink responsibly

i was going to post a scathing witty criticism but fuck man just kill yourself right quick

Drink malt liquor

What kind of faggot writes this shit

I think a good tip is to drink in a way that you enjoy. Don't do shots just because you are offered one. If you want some lemonade in your lager, then have some lemonade. People get a huge stick up their arse about how others enjoy alcohol, but fuck 'em.

If you're going to combine alcohol and weed, smoke first. When you're drinking, you get progressively drunker as you drink. When you smoke, you instantly get high and then come down. Smoking when you're already sloshed is how you get the spins.

Smash a bottle a day

this
700ml 90 proof minimum

this is the opposite
you go from lightest to darkest

keep drinking
throw up
learn from ur mistakes
eat before u drink
but really just keep fuckign drinking until you get it

looking for a better vermouth than martinni rosso- which is shit but usually all bars carry

and what do you think about negroni with bombay gin?

Strongly disagree. Never drink the same thing twice in a row, you'll get bored.

>be careful with the sauce
>try different drinks without peer pressure
>good vodka results in nearly no hangover, everything else does result in a hangover
>best hangover cure: water, slightly salted (just so you feel the saltyness on your tongue)
>nothing else, don't ever go on drinking the next morning
>take breaks
>eat before drinking
>if you feel pressure on the right side of your stomach, stop immediately

always lightest first. You won't taste a larger after a stout, and you don't like a stout if you have to drink progressively darker beers to work your way up to it.

The trick to getting into alcohol is to regularly meet up with a group of friends, bring something different to drink each time, and split the cost. You'll blaze through all beer / cider / spirits carried at liquor stores. I haven't found an efficient way to tackle wine though.

wine is easy, but it depends a little on where you live.
read a little about how wine is made and about grape varieties, then see if you can find a winery where you can buy an assortment of different wines. if you can avoid it, don't buy the supermarket stuff. wineries are usually cheaper and better, and you can order online.
if you've got the wine, then there are some simple rules: use real wine glasses, white wine and rosé should be chilled, red wine should be at room temperature and opened up about 30 mins before drinking so it can "breathe".
drinking wine is easy, just drink what you like and tastes good for you. no need to be fancy about different aroma components and over-the-top stuff like this. just drink what you like, you'll develop a feeling for wine in no time.
if you really wanna be sommelier-like, slurp some sips as if you'd slurp a hot soup. that oxidates the wine and spreads it all over your tongue, which makes it easier to determine a flavour profile.

Stop yourself after one or two

Good advice.
However the problem most people make when they drink wine is that they drink white wine too cold and red wine too warm.
I mean they still taste good but if you are getting a nicer bottle of wine it is worth keeping in mind.
I usually follow the 30 minute rule; keep white wine in the fridge and then take it out 30 minutes before it's going to be served.
Put a bottle of red wine in the fridge for 30 minutes right before it is served

i could argue about the red wine part, bc it strongly depends on the wine, but you're completely right with the white wine. great advice, anyways!

My local bottle shops carry more than enough wine. Too much in fact, I'll never get through it all. I have tried literally every beer and cider available, but there's like 10 times that much on the wine shelves.
That's the point I'm getting at. I haven't found a way to hone in on the good stuff. Especially since there seems to be no wine varietal or type I do not like.
Sure I can do tastings. Winery tastings generally offer little benefit since they go for a higher price bracket then I'm at (~$30 a bottle). Bottle shop tastings are infrequent and I'd swear the store's employees are picking the wines because they are doing an abysmal job (on average).
Currently I'm drinking a bottle of whatever once a week and slowly learning about which wines I like from which regions; hopefully that will narrow things some (though it's a course measurement, quality is quite variable even in the same region).

If you're getting into whisky, start with extremely small sips and let it sit on your tongue for a while. That way it won't burn your throat. Then after a while it won't burn either way.