The knight of the "sorrowful face"

>the knight of the "sorrowful face"
HOW did she getting away with this???????????????

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ojdsQ5bhCeU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can you elaborate?

What's wrong with it?

Pretty sure it was translated as "sad countenance" in the translation I read. Is that any better?

>not "wistful visage" or "mournful frontispice"
Brainletism is so prevalent these days.

i really, really like wistful visage. mind if i release a translation using it?

rueful figure is GOAT

Is this the most overrated classic? Half the book isn't even about Don Quixote. It's just them meeting cuckold shepherds and then their stories take up half the book.

What is she trying to translate? Im sure I can testify as of its acuracy

El caballero de la triste figura

Came to post "sad countenance" a la . It's not literal, but it conveys the same tone.

El caballero de la triste figura = The knight of sad figure.

Ritter von der traurigen Gestalt seems pretty spot on compared to that.

The sadboy knight

Learn spanish, anglo speak is garbage

"sorrowful face" is pretty disgusting

I would have used: The knight with the sad expression

that's too pretentious, your job as a writer is to make it as easy of a read as possible, not to use complicated words (unless no other words actually exist)

The knight with a face like a smacked arse

yeah, pretty much, the original kind of plays into him being scrawny and his armor being all ragged, so not about him having a sad face but i guess it still works as a translation, and you can't really keep all the information from the original without making it sound ugly and pretentious

don't read translations ever ya dumbo

"rueful countenance" is the best, and more applicably correct translation, as used by Ormsby in his translation

Rueful countenance is the best translation.
This is the best overall translation too

>literally the birth of all fiction in the past 4 centuries
>is still referenced, alluded to, and imitated even today
>"overrated"

"Woeful countenance"
youtube.com/watch?v=ojdsQ5bhCeU

>your job as a writer is to make it as easy of a read as possible
*cough cough*

I'm reading Jarvis and he uses "Sorrowful Figure".

It sounds nice but it's not really accurate and is arguably misleading.

Not bad.

>tfw u realise u are more ofa sancho panza than a don quixote

Yeah that's pretty good. English is just too clunky.

That's terrible as well tho

It is an extended satire of a dying medieval phenomenon. With the steady waning of the military knight, occuring more-or-less straight after the 100 years war and from there onwards, there was dwindling opportunity to prove one's chivalric prowess on the battlefield. But there was still a great onus on men doing as such. Both borne of and exacerbating the situation was a reciprocal cycle of romantic literature and hastiludes. Essentially, you had men who were members of a society that read endlessly this hyperbolic literature and endeavoured to emulate it as best possible. A good (autocorrected to goof, which seems apt) example is Suero de Quinones, who is actually mentioned by Don Quixote as an example of the chivalric ideal. Him and ten companions went to a bridge in Spain for a pas d'armes (think the Black Knight in Monty Python's The Holy Grail), swearing to not leave until they had defeated three hundred men-at-arms. They left, quite bloodied, not very near that number. Don Quixote is a caricature of such, ahem, quixotic real-life knights-errant.

Now, even equipped with all that lovely, interesting context I would not go back to reading Don Quixote. It's a big snooze, there's no two ways about it. Like Suero de Quinones, I made it half-way and chalked it up for a win. It's a satire of a social phenomenon that has absolutely no resonance, other than in the abstract (rise of beards, bodybuilding and steroid abuse with the decline of the defined male role, perhaps?), with the modern reader. Comedy ages badly, this a fact of life and literature. There's a reason 'you had to be there'.

I don't enjoy literature : the post - extended, uncut edition

>the knight of complicated facial features

*"The Knight whose melancholy resting guise at first glance causes him to appear angst-filled and/or superficially pitful but upon further examination and observance is revealed to be an indication of complex and deeply engrained unfullfillment of desires transcending perhaps not only his desolate persona but perhaps also his era and maybe even reality and human existence as a whole."*

>tfw you'd rather be a Sancho Panza than a don quixote.

Why did they translate figura with face?

The double meaning of this name is totally lost.

The point of the name "caballero de la triste figura" is to mock the pretentious names of the chivalric romance.