Penguin Classics

What's so bad about Penguin Classics Veeky Forums?

They inspire jealousy.

They inspire jealousy.

That shelf is hideous.

Look pretty ugly/generic.
Shit translations a lot of the time.
Some covers are nice tho.

They would be perfect if they used good quality paper .

Does anyone know the title of the shirtless muscle-man book next to his nose?

I dont mind penguin classic but good god that shelf looks disgusting

>What's so bad about Penguin Classics Veeky Forums?

Bad spines
Pages that yellow fast
Not always the best translations

the final criticism is pretty retarded since what publisher always is the best translation? also ill add that i have like '85 penguin classics with some yellowing in pages and spines in perfect condition. i think you guys just have a complex.

Ugly cover art, poor binding, low quality paper, cheap looking, gross symbol, fall apart faster than cheap condoms while fucking on speed.

Wow, a lot of incorrect opinions ITT

ITT: People who expect $10 books to be made with the same materials and craftsmanship as Arion Press's books.

The cover art and designs are actually quite good. Besides, I don't understand why you faggots are so obsessive over that shit. Just read the fucking book.

I think this image speaks for itself.

No, it doesn't.

Are you implying that that would only happen to a Penguin Classics book? Why?

Autists want all the books to look different on the shelf.

.t Autist

Autists want the opposite of that

t. actual Autist

Having carbon copy spines scattered in a shelf is far worse than the nice randomness of them all being different.

t. medically diagnosed autist

But it's better to have them all be Identical on the identical book shelf. If you get a non-identical book you can put it on the non-identical book shelf.

t. Man medically diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 3

Would you wear this shirt?

But they aren't identical because they are different sizes and have different writing on the spine, it is better to have absolute randomness than imperfect fake symmetry.

t. man diagnosed with autism at age 3

P.S Aspergers doesn't exist anymore.

>Asperger's doesn't exist anymore
It does according to the US Government

a true battle of wits

not according to DSM-V

>tfw got banned from attending autism group for 2 weeks because I got into an argument with a militant Aspie about Aspergers no longer being a real thing and he cried so I got sent home

>what publisher always is the best translation?
universities

god-tier tourette's reporting in. autism is for pussies. cock shit ass

haha

Steve is a true patrician.

>Ugly cover art
I have a penguin deluxe of moby dick and quite like the cover art

They're not particularly good physical quality, and are overpriced for what they are. They started as a cheap way to buy classic texts, but Penguin have tried to push them as top quality editions despite still using cheap binding, thin covers and cheap acidic paper.

That said, the content can be very good, if they re-release something it often comes with a good introduction and notes by a scholar in the relevant area. But it's a gamble, some are shit like their Book of the Dead (a re-issued Victorian translation) and Confessions (a 1960 translation by an unknown).

You tell me

Last two penguin classic books I ordered had orange spines.

Oxford master race

its actually DSM-5. they stopped using roman numerals