What will be the last book you read in 2017?

What will be the last book you read in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/bibliophileoffut00barz#page/n31/mode/2up
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In cold blood

Kinda dry so far but I'm too far in to call it quits.

War and peace

I'm reading the idiot now but I won't able to complete it by new year

How are you liking it? I was considering either re-reading The Odyssey or maybe starting Anna Karenina in the new year once I'm done with Life and Fate.

gross

Letters From a Stoic, pretty sure I read a shit translation but meh I learned my lesson.

Dubliners
Really enjoying it, "Araby" was my favorite so far

War and war by krasnahorkai, but goddamn, Life and Fate was amazing. Lit doesn't talk about it nearly enough. The letters from Viktors mother and the note the prisoner left were on par with some of the most beautifull passages of Ulysses amd the Magic Mountain this year for me.

is a comfy read

I think all the smaller segments like the accountant, the pilots or the girl who was singing in the cart are much more memorable than the bigger arcs, it's shocking but oh so captivating. How is War and War? I'm planning on getting it next month but the synopsis reminds me too much of 2666 which I just read lately.

The Picture of Dorian Gray

yummy

Guards! Guards!

A cup full of rage. Because it’s short and I wanna cum

Seneca's Dialogues and Essays. I expected a rather dull read but the Oxford translator and the subject matter(s) were great. Love it

Still reading The Rainbow by DH Lawrence. Between work and parties and recovering from parties I’m probably not going to get it finished. So last one I finished will be The Riddle of the Sands

I am probably going to finish this tomorrow. I haven't read a lot lately.

How do you like it? I didn't like it that much but I'm really glad I read it. I made a stupid Veeky Forums meme out of it lol

why should i tell you?

Not nearly as interesting as I was lead to believe

I'll spend my New Year's Eve reading the Cloud of Unknowing most probably.

90 pages of this garbage left.

Estrella distante, Roberto Bolaño

re-reading it

A Maze of Death by PKD

Dante's Inferno

Oraux X-ENS, algèbre 3

Ciardi is so comfy
people keep telling me Mandelbaum and Hollander are much more accurate verse translations, but if I wanted accuracy I'd go for the singleton prose

Myths from Mesopotamia(Gilgamesh +others), probably going to finish it up over the weekend, got it for Christmas and really enjoying adlibing the missing pieces. (Oxford translation)

Pizza looks good where u at?

Ending the year with 3001: A Space Odyssey and starting the new one with the Rama novels. It was a precisely enjoyable space trip with the Odysseys so far.

That's unfortunate, I have it on my shelf and was looking forward to reading it eventually.

Is it just boring or what? Honestly I'm still not sure what makes some histories interesting and others not; I just know that sometimes I spend weeks slogging through 300 pages, and other times I whip through 400+ in just a few days.

Driving to have the Federalist Papers proper done by year-end (30 pages left), and/or a re-read of the Coming Insurrection for a forthcoming wiki edit (halfway thru tonight)

I figure tomorrow I'll bring Federalist home and get it knocked out. I've only been doing the body of the text but I need to do all front and back matter by my own standards before it's done. The important part will be done before 2018 though.

Herodotus' History.
Shit is so cash, won't be able to finish it before 2018, though.

Pizzanista in LA

Fully read? Looks like Laws by Plato

Dude nice, most people don't get to that, let alone knock it out. Highly recommend the cambridge critical guide to the laws (can get ISBN if you want). Like 10-12 essays, maybe 250 pages total. Very interesting and one of the only full treatments of Laws I managed to find.

Persian Fire, I'm going to read the last two chapters today.

The Odyssey.

As in completed reading? This Hallowed Ground, unless I happen to finish something over the weekend.

The winter of our discontent

Literally got my copy of this today, just finished a history of wwi yesterday. How are you liking Junger? I want to start either him or Remarque this weekend.

run while you can

What have we here?

Th-thanks Veeky Forums...

dc
c

Is there another DC meetup in the works? I missed the last one

junger is much better. remarque spent about a month on the front

made glorious summer...

Bataille's book on Nietzsche

That looks good

Tropic of cancer. Starts edgy but gets good fast. I need some depravity in my life.

This series is pretty good but took me a year to get to the second book

Hell‘s Angels by HST

The Good Soldier Švejk

East of eden. P good

My first Simenon. Great so far.

A Brief History of Seven Killings. Fun stuff, although it's not rocking my world.

Interesting read. I would posit that J.D Salinger's 'Catcher in the Rye' was influenceed by this piece. The general theme of public observation is quite similar, aswell as the descent for society and social things.

Demons - Dostoyevski

I just finished Dead Souls and I probably won't finish the Iliad by New Years'.

>girl btw

Finished this one up last night

Blood Meridian. Pretty damn good

I got a shitty editions with critic's praise on the first few pages (you know what i mean), but one of them described it pretty spot on saying: imagine a dostoevsky novel with the main characters bordering on insanity, but take God out of the question entirely.
Also: every paragraph is just one long sentence, which felt like a trope for the first few pages, but it turned out to really serve the plot and general oppresive mood the book is going for.

It's impossible to finish his bibliography in 3 lives.

I won’t finish anything in time, os the last one will be No Longer Human, which I’ve read for the second time this year.

Bet I'll finish tomorrow. Quite dense for such a thin print.

Related, anyone else a semiotext(e) fanboy? Or fan girl? Or is it fan(x), now? I guess I can stick to "fan". Connotation is different though.

Not disappointed. I've been on an Eastern binge lately. Think once I'm done I'll move over to sci-fi, have barely read any so it should be fun.

Wow, I never thought about this, but it does seem like Salinger was influenced by this

Moby Dick

My last completed book will be The Sound and the Fury

>penguin translation
Might as well make it up yourself.

An entry level book to Logic.

Cosmopolis by DonDelillo.
I've just read White Noise and enjoyed it immensely and have been enjoying cosmopolis thus far (5/7ths of the way trough), so I'd appreciate your suggestions as how to continue the DeLillo train.

I don’t intend to, but I might read a few more. Are there any good ones that take place in Liège?

i have a semiotext(e) copy of simulations i just finished recently, they're definitely attractive
nothing special apart from that it seems

underworld, considered his opus by some

>The Hamlet
It's one thing picking (usually fairly obscure) lines out of Shakespeare for your novel's title, but this is just fucking lazy.

I own two Krazshnahorkai novels with those exact descriptions on the inside of the cover. I feel like those are the only editions available since I know his works went out of print for a while I'm just glad there's a good demand for them before they go back out of print again.

They're attractive, and the works they choose to print are interesting. I enjoy looking through the press's website.

archive.org/stream/bibliophileoffut00barz#page/n31/mode/2up
>They and the books called scholarly are taken as signs of a knowledge explosion. It is only a knowledge inflation. The knowledge which should go into a footnote of six lines is made into an article of twelve pages; and that which should go into an article of twelve pages goes into a book of three hundred.

Cool, thanks; will read Junger first.

D. W. Brogan's The American Character (1944). Starting it this evening.

Can't go wrong, user. Guy's amazingly consistent.

I'll be finishing my second read of pic related tomorrow morning, and I have to say it only helped to cement my love for Heidegger - I've read few other authors that manage to understand poetry and language as much as he did. Will probably be reading his other writings on Hölderlin soon.
In the meantime, I'll pick up Bataille's La Conjuration Sacrée and probably Potocki's Manuscript Found in Saragossa, which I got on the cheap a few days ago.

Nice, I wanted to read it for a while - Bataille is always good, solid intelligent fun. Have you read anything else by him?

no need to read simenon for that, just go there and become a murder victim!

Siddartha by Hesse

As someone trying to get into literature, I figured it would be good to see if there is any kind of intuitive love for the art I can discover in myself via osmosis from Goethe himself. At the very least it would outline for me the life of a very successful artist, which could be productive emotionally and intellectually.

Tbh the chapters before he gets into college were great but he is beginning to spend an increasing amount of time discussing and critiquing the books he's read rather than his actual life. I might not finish the rest of it.

Tokio Blues, liked it, specially the seyying

Plebusmaximus

Made to stick.

Voltaire's Micromegas. It's a good read. Literally 40 pages.