How the fuck do you make maps?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/unchartedatlas
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

maps are for plebs

it's another planet...

The story you want to tell should drive the shape of your world

Kill yourself

what if the shape of the world drives the story?

like i said, for plebs. you dont need maps. only autistics will take any interest in them

So even for my own reference?

Play Minecraft or civilization, you don't have to do anything but transcribe the in-game map

Don't listen to these mongoloids. If drawing a map helps you, by any means go for it.

Don't bother. Every time I see some fantasy book with its stupid made-up names (the protagonist will be something like Heth Shindeen or Tzorthe or some stupid shit) and its stupid maps and stupid magic systems I want to puke. Almost no one has the skill to build a fictional world or its languages or anything else.

>tfw it's a sci-fi military epic along the lines of Starship Troopers
I get what you mean, but it's not on Earth. What do you want from me?

unironically generate a random one in Dwarf Fortress and use that.

>What do you want from me?
Give things names that have a discernible pronunciation and don't sound like you just threw random letters together because it looks cool.

That's what I'd be doing. Hell, the religion is going to be some weird morphed word of mouth version of Germanic mythology. Instead of Thor it's Tor, for example

Use a real world location and turn up upside down and backwards.

Aqauac looks like some crazy shit goes on in there doesn't it?

And if you look at Scandinavia, the reverse is "true", the mountains are tall enough to stop cold winds but low enough to let in rain, making southern Sweden and Denmark pretty warm and farmable for being so far north.

>he thinks world building is maps
twitter.com/unchartedatlas knock yourself out Hemingway.

keked/10

Starship Troopers doesn't have maps. Starship Troopers was written in like 2 weeks. Nobody that reads Starship Troopers gives a shit about the cultural inclinations of the bugs on Planet P. Drop the autism.

You have to have a degree in geology to invent something that would work.

You're thinking too hard about it. If you do come back to the thread remember that an environment is a backdrop to set a scene unless you're writing about nature. Speaking of which when I write I do that to help me get the juices going about an environment. If you want em to be around rocks and shit do that. If you want them in a soggy marsh where they can feel the moisture in their groin and the reeds whipping away at their flesh for punishment of having a stupid idea of walking through a fucking marsh then do that. The more you overthink it the less you're going to write and then you'll get bogged down in trying to find out the exact species of reed that is brushing against your characters and you'll quit writing because you've stressed yourself out so much over a reed that at the end of this long run-on sentence you'll realize that your audience could give less of a fuck about.

Just use the Monty Oum method:
1. Squeeze some ketchup into a napkin
2. Crumple it
3. Profit and die

>Profit and die

Then its not a good story.
Go back to
>

This thread is the Cancer

are you implying war isn't at least partially dictated by geography?

geography is dictated by war

So the Hot Gates didn't effect battle at all?

Russian winter has never effected a war ever?

Tropical Jungles didn't effect the US military in Vietnam?

use the map editor

Dwarf Fortress world sym.

It can simulate just about anything, including rivers, mountains, volcanoes, and their evolution trough thousands of years. It also simulates civilizations of different races, wars, alliances, divinities etc etc

why the fuck would i would i want my world to be made of castles for little people? please tell me... waiting.... waiting.... wiating

Yeah but those are real. When you're writing a fake war you can make the geography whatever the fuck you want depending on how you want the story to go