Asian American History

What are some good, non-racist books that deal with the Asian American experience? I've been told Tao Lin is quite worthwhile.

Since Asian Americans are now rising in prominence against decades of media propaganda, it seems worth having a general thread about their impact on the arts and how they've proven it's possible to have loyalties to both their new home of America and the People's Republic of China.

>asian
>art

Fuck off you microdick little freak

Who fucking cares about Asian Americans. Talk about China, Bhutan, Mongolia, Japan or Vietnam, not these cultural mutts.

Super Rich Asians, obviously

I legitimately wonder if the fact that African-American literature flourished while Asian-American and latino/hispanic U.S. literature didn't is because those ethnic groups have hundreds to thousands of years of written literary history to compete with, while written African literature didn't take off until the 1950s.

>Tao Lin
cringe

Uhhh ... this is probably going to sound retarded if you're a liberal and/or Asian-American and may be a micro-aggression you'll never forget and which will traumatize you and further your conviction that whites are insensitive, and you'll probably be in a Buzzfeed video one day talking about your experience as an Asian-American and how people say stupid stuff about it and you'll probably bring this up as an example ...

But is is that challenging and unique to be an Asian-American? OK, besides the occasional idiot who says, "OMG but you're Asian aren't you smart and good at math particularly?", or the small penis jokes (which only applies to males, so thus not even to all Asians), and people when they're angry calling you a nip, Jap, or chink...

Anyway, is being Asian-American that unique? You're practically white. No one's going to be as racist to you as they are to Hispanic and black people; in fact, you're even luckier, because all the political correctness and leftist racism today is directed against white people, not Asians. Although the Asian quotas in Ivy League universities is pretty fucked up, I'll give that. If you're talking about the experience of being the children of immigrants with more traditional/a different culture but being in liberal and modern America, that's a pretty similar experience for a lot of people in my opinion who have immigrant parents in America.

I hope that none exist. """""""Asian"""""" Americans are the most cancerous, retarded, and insecure fucks on the planet.

AsianMasculity

>Tao Lin
DIS IS NOT DEH WEY

People severely underestimate the importance that Asian parents place on culture as compared to other types of immigrants. Most Asian parents that I knew were unbelievably strict in regard to controlling the social, academic, and personal life of their child. As an Asian-American there is intense social pressure to act orderly and modest. Our identity is pretty unique in that regard.

People SEVERELY underestimate the importance that Asian parents place on culture as compared to other types of immigrants. Most Asian parents that I knew were unbelievably strict in regard to controlling the social, academic, and personal life of their child. As an Asian-American there is intense social pressure to act orderly and modest. Our identity is pretty unique in that regard.

Who cares? Really, who gives a shit about your unique identity? How is that relatable to most people? How does any of that produce art? Can YOU make people care? Go to a fucking mental institution if you're so hurt by your parents.

> Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Li

And stop posting this soyboy lin

Frankly, I'm with . How many people, outside of the asian-american audience, are going to give a flying fuck about that? Unless studying the relationship as a subject, no one is going to care, and since it is probably personal stories, rather than empirical data, it will only be looked at with half-glances from anyone other than "social scientists". A good book that is meaningful or sells well is one that can be universally applied to the audience, or lets them escape, regardless of being.

Also:
>non-racist
>deal with the Asian American experience
Pick one

Yokohama, California

Whatsa matter Veeky Forums? Upset that all the Asians got into better universities and will end up with higher paying jobs than you?

sour heart by jenny zhang was okay
eddie huang's books are fun but the white-washing is too real
disliked celeste ng's everything i never told you

you're probably better off just reading chinese/japanese authors. have a read of yu hua's to live - that book is crippling

My Twisted World

>Asian Americans are now rising in prominence against decades of media propaganda

what are you bitching about? you had indiana jones' sidekick, that was 30+ years ago now.

Cmere Short Round! Cmon shorty! Hold my ass while i fuck the volleyball team with my BWC!

Taiwan motherfucker

You need to post this where everyone isn't a fucking retard. Veeky Forums is essentially filled with illiterate teenage boys who can't get laid, who never read a whole book in their pathetic lives, and who will never leave their parents' houses. There are worthwhile sites to discuss what you and other sensible people who stumble onto this worthless shithole called Veeky Forums want to talk about. There are intelligent people in real life and online, but there are only worthless scum on this shithole.If all the Veeky Forums regulars were to die tomorrow, the world would only be improved.

because Asians don't have a victim complex! plus what is the point of grouping Japanese-Americans with Chinese-Americans and Korean-Americans and Vietnamese-Americans etc.
t. bugman

>I've been told Tao Lin is quite worthwhile.
>Tao Lin
>worthwhile
hahahahahahahaha

I wrote this post and come from a very traditional, half-Catholic Eastern European Balkan country, and all the people I know with Catholic parents from this country who were born in America have also faced similar extreme strictness on their parents' part. It's almost a sort of meme amongst us, how strict these parents are. I don't think there's any literature from these peoples because it's such a small community, and it's uninteresting. I agree with . I'd rather write something interesting and meaningful than about this upbringing, unless I find it in some way interesting and meaningful enough; mostly, I just think it's banal, and a masturbation over identity.

>eastern european first gen immigrant parent/s
we don't exist m8, we're just white. Nobody gives a fuck that my social skills are fucked b/c my mom barely spoke fluent english when she had me and taught me to hate an american society that had rejected her. I'm just white, expected to compare favorably to other native whites in these things.

Exactly. Also thank you, I could relate.

Also, this just in general happens, in my experience and many others', with being the children of traditional, culture-obsessed parents from other, more traditional and regional cultures coming to liberal, modern America. It's not the most unique and interesting thing in the world. This obsession with writing a book for every unique kind of experience --- Hispanic-American, African-American, Balkan-American, Asian-American --- is leading to an increasing balkanization and mediocrity of literature. I've lived under a traditional immigrant family here in America, I've had to read books in high school curricula about children of immigrants from other countries who basically went through the same experience. It's not that interesting after a while to just focus on one's artificial social identity. Try writing something about timeless themes of life and death. I absolutely don't care about writing about life as an Asian-American, it's just trite to think it's super special, unique, and important in itself to focus on one's racial and cultural identity, as if this will create timeless literature that's relatable for everybody.

>I absolutely don't care about writing about life as an Asian-American
By which I mean, I wouldn't get angry or upset or think a book about an Asian-American is inherently bad, of course.

Is there a worse genre of literature than "immigrant or immigrants child's conflicted existence in foreign country"? It produces a ton of highly praised trash. Most of the alienation is from an ethnic or racial point of view, while completely ignoring the alienating aspects of mass society. This is probably because most immigrant fiction is produced by brown people who come from shithole countries and whose host country's are still vastly superior to their spawning grounds. I as a 1st/2nd generation European immigrant to America have a much more nuanced view of the alienation felt by foreigners and indigenous people's alike, however I cannot or will not articulate this issue since I am opposed to producing any more immigrant genre trash that would flop anyways since I lack the requisite melanin for pecuniary relevance.

>much everything needs to be relatable meme
When will this cancer die out?

>Our identity is pretty unique in that regard.
No, it isn't. The overwhelming majority of cultures are "stricter" even than the traditional culture of white Americans, much less its modern atomized iteration, to say nothing of the increasingly-feral blacks.

>because Asians don't have a victim complex
Don't worry, some of them are already starting to figure out how advantageous it is to be a """victim""" of Legacy America.

>my parents really care a lot about their cousins compared to a bunch of north-of-the-Hajnal wilderness pioneers, these gringos they are so strange, mi papi he always worried about his hijos

vs

>AS A BROWN WOMAN whose rich parents moved to this port city to get away from their poorer countrymen and/or launder money I'M OPPRESSED. WHY DOESN'T THE GOVERNMENT SHOW MY PEOPLE MORE FAVORITISM. I'M MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN THESE STUPID BECKYS. DON'T THESE WHITE PEOPLE KNOW WHO I AM?

We get it.

asian americans are pathetic, they can't stop whining about being victimised by whites, despite the fact that they are on average richer than whites. They have completely rejected their native millenia old culture for the same generic buzzfeed sjw whining that is peddled at all universities. Their identity is purely negative and based on an overblown sense of victimisation

You are baiting, I am sure of it.
Fucking can't believe people can be this stupid.