Canook Lit

Give me your best Canadian books. Prefer quality fiction but I'll take whatever you got. Also anything interesting you have to say on Canadian art and its relationship to politics, the world, Western culture, etc..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mzOUgwsQ_hM
youtu.be/0BRcVMPM-rs
youtu.be/JWPionfY50Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>quality Canadian fiction
Doesn't exist. Canucks are good at music and have about half a dozen good films. That's it.

Wtf is a hoser.

I’m almost finished with “Il n’y a pas de pay sans grand-père” by Roch Carrier right now. It’s deeply entrenched in Québécois history and politics, and the storytelling is pretty compelling. If you read French, I would recommend it. Not sure if it’s been translated.

*pays

Putain cet autocorrect anglophone

If it's Canadian it's almost certainly translated

Okay. But it does. Too bad for you in who knows where.

Basically a redneck, but polite because Canadian.
Trailer Park Boys are the current standard, but Strange Brew was the original meme.
youtu.be/mzOUgwsQ_hM

>Roch Carrier
Thanks. Don't think I've read anything from Quebec. Sounds interesting.

Anglais writers!
>Mordecai Richler - Barney's Version, Solomon Gursky Was Here
>Robertson Davies - Deptford Trilogy
>Brion Grysin - The Process
>Michael Ondaatje - In the Skin of a Lion, Coming Through Slaughter
>Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance
>Farley Mowat - anything really
>Pierre Berton - GOAT early Canadian historian
>Alistair MacLeod
>Al Purdy - Poetry

I may be the only Canadian to never read a single Atwood

Thanks. Also never read Atwood, but feel like I should read something.

same

Lol Canadian tuxedo

Ive read no great mischief by macleod. It was OK enjoyed the prose but thematically too fixed upon muh heritage for my taste

Also i dont remember what exactly it was at this point since it was 2 or so years since i read it but i felt the plot ran a bit awkwardly. Overall a 6.5/10 for me

Its a boot time don't ya know

The prose was the strong point but having read only that novel of his id say he is probably a better short story writer than a novelist. Sorry for the triple post

Why don't any of you canadian plebs EVER read the most patrician Canadian author mavis gallant. Fucking weird eh.

my diary desu

Besides that you're out of luck when it comes to "Canadian lit"
Maybe try Munro though

BECAUSE MUNRO IS BETTER

I read Oryx and Crake by Atwood in high-school. I liked it a lot then, not sure I'd still like it now.

Alistair MacLeod is a great short story writer, deals with blue-collar types in Cape Breton

Thoughts on David Adams Richards or Joseph Boyden?

the losing hockey team has to repair the surface of the rink after the game which is done by spaying water on it to fill in the scuffs and cuts an it is a shit job because cold and wet hence the term "hoser"="loser"

>Canucks are good at music

If you’re interested in Québec authors, also check out Jacques Poulin and Daniel Poliquin.

Too many good ones to list. The New Canadian Library is a good start for older works.

No Great Mischief is a pretty terrific novel too
also
rawi hage - cockroach
michael ondaatje - the english patient

Life of Pi is unironically really good.

I couldn't get into it, the writing came across as way too affected (unironically of course). One of the only books i've ever put down partway desu.
>inb4 brainlet

kek. i was genuinely curious to see pic related before it turned out to be 30 years old

A L I C E
AALLIICCEE
M U N R O
MMUUNNRROO

Why do Canadian pronounce about "aboot"? I never got that, they sound so retarded.

that was an original joke user, thank you for that sincerely

Here come the Canadians with their infamous passive aggression.

Fuck you you noncanadian waste of shit and adrenaline

Don't pretend to be something you are not. Say you are sorry now.

Some Canadian authors I enjoy and own five or more books by:
Margaret Atwood, Joseph Boyden, Robertson Davies, Timothy Findley, Anne Hebert, Alice Munro, Rohintin Mistry, Miriam Toews, Michael Ontaatje, Jane Urquhart, Thomas King, Margaret Laurence, Michael Crummey.
Poets: Dionne Brand, George Elliott Clarke, Leonard Cohen.
Genre: William Gibson, Charles de Lint, Spider Robinson, Jack Whyte.
Children/YA: L.M. Montgomery, Farley Mowat, Robert Munsch.
Comics/Art: Nick Bantock, Dave Sim, Seth, Kate Beaton, Chester Brown, Guy Delisle, Julie Doucet, Joe Matt (honourary), Mariko & Jillian Tamaki, Jeff Lemire, Hal Foster.

I feel like the current climate of Veeky Forums would really appreciate The Cunning Man by Robertson Davies.

Why?

Margeret Laurence is fucking dreadful. Avoid at all costs

Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. Mordecai Richler

Nolo Contendere. A novel by a jew that's so antisemetic that Dr. Goebbels would have happily published it.

The movie did perfect justice to the book.

Full movie
youtu.be/0BRcVMPM-rs

Great scene;
youtu.be/JWPionfY50Q

Stephen Leacock is great

Duddy makes an appearance in Joshua Then and Now which is pretty much in the same caustic vein.

Richler was a known shit stirrer. A lot of people in Quebec look upon him with contempt. I went to the pub he'd frequent in Montreal and the barmen told me that he had to hide the seat Richler used whenever he came in from other patrons who wanted to destroy it

joseph boyden is trash.
read real indigenous authors.

I feel like it complements something like Stoner pretty well as a story of a life style novel, and also the titular character's regection of scientism and appreciation for the aesthetics of more romanist church traditions would come across well.

anglophone poster detected

*Ether Wilson

this is the true unsung hero of canook lit
libfags will be butthurt

I just picked up Fanged Noumena, as an interlibrary loan, but don;t have the time to read it all. What are the major works to read in order to get a sense of accelerationism and his role as a provocateur?