Reading Speed / Sub-Vocalizing

I've always been a slow reader, and just assumed that its a skill like any other that some people are good at and others are not.
I recently came across the concept of sub-vocalization, which put shortly are readers who actually have the words run through their head as if they are being spoken. Now, I always assumed that is how everyone reads, and the idea that some don't transcribe actual spoken words in their heads was a foreign concept to me.

I am definitely one of these because I often catch my lips moving along with the words, and I sometimes reread sentences with a different voice in my head if I feel like I didn't catch the voice properly the first time.

I hope a benefit of this is that I get an extra layer of immersion that faster (non-sub-vocalizing) readers would get. I have also noticed that friends in my writing groups who are able to read way faster than me have less voice to the narration of their own writings, but I do not have nearly enough of a sample size to say this is a certainty.

So I'm just making this thread to see if anyone else has thoughts on this topic. Are you a sub-vocalizing reader, and what effect do you think this has on your comprehension, immersion and writing style?

On the other hand, if you don't think you sub-vocalize what do you feel the pros and cons of this may be?

Which do you think is better?

Any other thoughts on the topic?

Everyone sub-vocalises some just less than others.

I'd like to know what's the avg reading speed. I think I'm pretty slow, around 4 wps (so 240 wpm)
As for subvocalizing, it helps but sometimes I see it holds me back and I get used to it and just can't disembarass it.
Will my reading speed grow more as I plow through more books or am I destined to remain a readspeedlet forever?

I enjoy reading out loud sometimes because I memorise better when I do.

There is nothing wrong with subvocalising. It's the way you're meant to read artful writing. People who speedread fiction are retarded.

I read at about 200 wpm. I wonder if I should focus on improving my speed or not. I can read faster if I focus, but as soon as my mind drifts and I stop focusing on speed I fall back to my normal pace.

You SHOULD subvocalize fiction.

And poetry. Especially poetry.

Not really unless it's a play or poetry

you shouldn't subvocalize if you wanna speedread

I can't read without subvocalizing.
Did you learn how to do that?

I used to subvocalize when I was a kid. Just try to read while counting in your head, it would be difficult at first but it will correct your problem.

>Sub-Vocalizing
This aids comprehension so why would you want to get rid of it?

I don't subvocalize but I make an effort to focus on my internal voice when I read and I read fast so I try to focus on separating words and applying meaning so that they don't turn into a sort of passive stream of words, as I miss details when I passively read. I don't know if that's all that special but subvocalizing doesn't do anything for me, it just distracts from my internal voice.

I don't sub vocalise. Never do and never did. It implies that you read word for word. In high school I was taught to read groups of words instead of reading word for word. In praxis, were I to read my post, that would mean I would unconsciously read like this: (I don't sub vocalise.) (Never do) (and) (never did). (It implies) (that you read) (word for word). (In praxis), (were I to) (read my post), (that would mean) (I would unconsciously) (read like this).

Speed reading is for pseuds

and how fast do you go reading like that, user?

Reading for speed is the sign of a pleb. Reading for depth of understanding regardless of the time it takes is patrician. You're more likely to notice nuances in all aspects of the text from prose to plot.

bump

>the sounds of the words don't matter in literature

Tfw you read video game text so quick no one watching believes you

I literally can't subvocalise
am I fucked?

Just read non-fiction.

thats not how it works

This is really interesting. I always catch myself subvocalizaing when I have trouble understanding something (when I'm getting accustomed to a book, poetry, difficult passages, etc) but I always end up feeling like a turbotard when I do that.

boomp