Veeky Forums careers

Real estate and finance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YcS7ZIS_sG0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chef at Wendy's

fluffer

I know a good chunk of Veeky Forums are self-hating programmers who were intj gamers in high school and use clothing as a way to mask their insecurities and desperately project their stunted creative side to "human trash" instagram girls who smoke in the quad.

For you, no, that was not a Veeky Forums career choice.

damn. spat truth here

Architect you fucking plebs

>finance
>with a fucking neck tattoo
Right.
I'm a graphic designer for a small ad firm. Most everyone has pretty Veeky Forums haircuts and some level of fashion sense. But Veeky Forums is really edgy teenager clothing and streetwear, which doesn't exist in a good office setting.

These are the career choices of artless hacks with no cultural frame of reference or mode of self-expression outside of pre-approved symbols of wealth. Armani hypebeasts. The idols of young men whose lack of imagination and self-image has left them with no social point of view outside of /r/theredpill. Decidedly not Veeky Forums.

This is probably the most Veeky Forums. It's artistically astute but cynically capitalistic. Other acceptable answers would be gallery manager and any middle/senior position at a large design/ad agency.

lab scientist.
is it Veeky Forums

film director is most patrician choice

Metallurgical engineer. Finishing my Ph.D now, have job offers for automotive and failure analysis consulting. Any input?

y-you don't know me

All wage slaves. the only effay occupations are artistic. poverty and extreme wealth are both effay - the great gatsby and roskolnikov are effay. working in an office and trying not to hang yourself for 40 years to provide for an increasingly obese woman who hates you inst effay. real life isnt effay usually

Not effay
Cool but not effay

I agree with this, kind of. I'm a student and part time wage slave at Starbucks. I would like to do something that allows me to express myself creatively. I'm pretty sure my life with feel unfulfilled if I don't follow that feeling.

But at the same time, I look at my own father who continues to make immense sacrifices for me and my family when he gets up at 5 AM for his commute every morning and I really admire that kind of ethic. Just because he goes to work in a boxy suit and an old SUV doesn't mean what he does isn't valuable. I don't think I even have the capacity to be that selfless.

Entrepreneur.
/thread

literally the opposite of effay

Chemical engineer

Aerospace engineer

Currently in chemical engineering, it is truly a god tier career.

But sometimes it's hard to be Veeky Forums when your hair constantly gets fucked up by a helmet and you have to wear ugly safety goggles and steel toe boots every time you run around the plant.

gym manager here
im not even Veeky Forums tho

Clinical psychologist

Stock broker here. Its not Veeky Forums

You can be whatever makes you rich but if you have bad taste, you'll dress like expensive shit. You need a style that goes with your lifestyle, generally, any style that comes as a result of your lifestyle will fit it, but if you try to emulate a different style or regional look or try to appear to have more money than you do, there's a chance you might end up looking like those white suburban kids in college wearing korean jackets back in 2009, or anyone at a Veeky Forums meetup for that matter.

That being said, having good money and flawless taste is probably what works best, if you are lucky enough to have it.

Barrister

Mathematician. Pic related.

Yes.

>being a programmer and literally building the future
>having a stunted creative side

you can't help these people

I think any career can be fa if you embody a style that fits it

city commercial solicitors are way more Veeky Forums than barristers

I would imagine so, but can you elaborate?

Old Grothendieck really has a style of his own

not him but I interned at a prop trading firm last summer.

probably very different from firm to firm but where I was at there was no dress code so most guys are just nerds in ill fitting sweaters.
I guess that also means you can be as fa as you want to be.

The fa part is that even as an intern you get to travel to Hong Kong or NY (i worked in london) and get a crazy salary.

There was also a lot of degenerate gambling going on between the people working there, betting on sports and trying to figure out sharp lines etc. which seems kinda fa in some nihilist sense

overall 11/10 would recommend strongly

yep.

Anyone who actually comes on here know theres basically 2 'effay' jobs. As in jobs we have.

Aerospace engineering comes up a lot, as do any engineering really.
Programmer/graphic designer comes up a hell of a lot.

So an effay Job is 'creative' but more for functionality, high paying and basically your life.

'cool' jobs are not effay. sorry.

that sounds pretty good for an internship, but how much work did you to get the job and also did you do a lot of work while you were an intern?

i had 2 phone interviews and one day of onsite ones. was pretty intense and I guess I could have easily been turned down if I had gotten less lucky with the questions

we spent a lot of time mock trading but also writing some code that was actually used.

they expected us to stay in the office for ~9-10 hours a day so it was hard to have a life

oh was this internship post-graduate?

Had, unfortunetally.

I'm in engineering and it's a good paying field but the density of dweebs and people that can't hold a conversation is frankly embarrassing. Not effay at all.
this guy is right. Do what you want but consider that you want to make a good buck while doing it. That can even include the dreaded "cool" niche job that ends up being profitable.

itt: people just list their own jobs or the jobs they plan on getting

In what way do those jobs relate to what we discuss here?

>These are the career choices of artless hacks with no cultural frame of reference or mode of self-expression outside of pre-approved symbols of wealth. Armani hypebeasts. The idols of young men whose lack of imagination and self-image has left them with no social point of view outside of /r/theredpill. Decidedly not Veeky Forums.

Precisely.

Now we're getting somewhere. This is the answer.

I work in real estate finance.

Is this tie fine to go with pink, white and blue shirts? I only need to wear a tie occasionally so want to get one that will go with everything. My office is pretty conservative.

yes and ask somewhere else you faggot.

I'm in my final year of pharmacy, am I effay lads?

>These are the career choices of artless hacks with no cultural frame of reference or mode of self-expression outside of pre-approved symbols of wealth. Armani hypebeasts.
Or maybe, you know, they recognise that a liberal arts degree will inevitably lead to a career in serving coffee while professions relating to finance, economics or any commerce in general will always be in demand in the modern society.

it was 2 years into a 3 year program,
went on for 2.5 months

if you are asking here it is pretty much certain that you will look like you borrowed it from your dad

I see, thanks for answering all the questions

that's insightful and deep and you are a cool person for reasoning like that
>people just list their own jobs or the jobs they plan on getting
that's the point of the thread, to take it up to discussion of whether or not those jobs go in line with the values of artistic/creative freedom that Veeky Forums holds highly.
I feel like much of Veeky Forums's idea of what's cool is doing something that you like independently of what others think while still catering to one's own sense of a pleasing aesthetic. One should also be going against the grain of what society thinks is cool in the sense of that one dismisses shallow status that is easy to achieve through a very plain path of reasoning to what will impress others. Example:
>our societal structure makes it so that people with more money than others can do more of what they want
>having money thereby makes it so that people are envious of one's ability to do whatever one wants
>flashing one's high financial status shows others that they should be envious of one's ability to do what they want
>others being envious of one's ability to do what one wants puts one in a position of high status
I think since this kind of an achievement doesn't have any real value apart from the ability to do what one wants, it's dismissed. A career has to have some intrinsic value in itself to be considered Veeky Forums. Point out where I'm wrong if you think that I am

I'm not the person you replied to but I'm studying to be a clinical psychologist aswell. Being able to help people while making enough bank to live comfortably if you're good at what you're doing. All while being able to dress the way you want, as long as you don't make the client thoroughly uncomfortable with the way you look. It's not effay in the sense that you get to express yourself creatively directly but I feel like I can do that in my spare time and still feel like I'm able to channel some of my thoughts into something that I create on my own

Veeky Forums is idealistic, being a pessimist and failing to live up to one's creative dreams because one doubts oneself isn't considered in line with following the path of artistic expression

>the density of dweebs and people that can't hold a conversation is frankly embarrassing. Not effay at all.

'effay' is our collective, people of effay work in those jobs.
effay and fashionable/cool are not interchangeable holmes.
In all fairness being 'effay' isn't a compliment, nor is it an insult.

Chef

being a full-time old money nobleman

i was going to be a programmer than i became a baller, it's the white tyson chandler getting duckets out the jawdins

rap game gordon gekko gettin mullah eatin muffins

RIFF

/s

I have nearly finished a finance degree

It's used interchangable in many instances. But judging by an ideal of well-read, fashionable and traveled, most engineers still dont cut it. At it's heart it's still a white collar Job for blue collar people. Because it's so safe. Even the finance has more risk involved. Not trying to talk down on the field and it's accomplishments obviously.
Also saying that the average poster on Veeky Forums is an engineer or engineering student is a bit far fetched. At least if this thread is any indication.

Mergers and acquisitions.

Debatable, but certainly also an Veeky Forums profession.

what do you do?
i presume that you have a chemical engineering degree, but what does your work consist of?

this.

something in the creative sphere. creative people are high in trait openess and tend to care about aesthetics. and have the desire and possiblity to follow their ideas and try to realize them.

finance, law, government, politics, etc all are very conservative. clothes to people in these industries are just status symbols - tools to signal they are winners. and winners in these professions are boring people, intelligent, competitive and conscientious - and openess and creativity are just distractions

This is so fucking deadly accurate that I have to kill myself---well, if things don't work out with this human trash instagram girl I'm seeing. So like in a few weeks.

Found the business major

creativity is high risk high return strategy.

youtube.com/watch?v=YcS7ZIS_sG0

Plastic surgeon vs. Cardiothoracic (heart) surgeon. Which one is more effay?

But perhaps one could chase both the safe occupation and a creative hobby, no?

Thanks for the link. I like Jordan Peterson videos but I haven't came across this one.

Plastic surgeon seems pretty greasy and seedy, doesn't seem effay

cardio thoracic involves really long procedures. ive seen many surgeons wear crocs cuz theyre super comfy so thats out.

at the same time if you do specialize in face, you learn a ton about aesthetics and proper ratios etc. i imagine you feel more like an artist while making the income to support an /fa lifestyle

I'm going into Forest ecology. It's not very fashionable, creative or lucrative but if I can get paid to spend my time outdoors doing research it'll be worth it.

Lawyer

Not Veeky Forums. The only thing a laws degree is good for is getting into politics. Unless you actually work in criminal law, that is.

DELETE THIS

>real estate
literally one notch above short order cook

For one, I never said anything about the financial desirability of or social demand for those jobs. Second, there are more educations than just finance, real estate, and liberal arts you dum dum.

I just said that those careers, taken as a whole, are not Veeky Forums. And I'm right.

>being your own boss is not effay. Instead I like being a submissive loyal wage slave employee to make my manager happy!!!!

Having a rich enough family that you can just do whatever you want.

Air Traffic Controller

>intj gamer
>tfw can't program

should I just kill myself now?

>intj
fuck me I just took the myers briggs test

>designer
yeah but you fucking all wear CBD because you work in a shit ad firm

>>>

this
new money will never be Veeky Forums

>I'm INTP
Th-this means I'm fine r-right?

f u n e r a l d i r e c t o r

keep feeding them the truth user

No. Intj is top tier MBTI

M.D

I'm tyna flex designed shoes/jeans with my lab coat

Came here to say this too. Recently changed my major to psychology, and I've never seen better dressed people, not just formal apparel, but streetwear and casual stuff as well. This goes for professors I've had and fellow students. Not only that, but I guess it's just a norm with people studying psychology, they're all genuine and good people.

Still not sure what I want to concentrate on, but being a clinician or in I/O Psych would be cool.

this is important

Veeky Forums has none of the innocence and charm of the nerd, but isn't able to actually pull off stuff

you guys are genuinely better off just being yourself than attempting something you fundamentally aren't and becoming this halfway house human monstrosity

be sure that you do you actually like human trash DAMAGED sluts and not just feel they'll validate your new effay identity

you sound like a pleb

gallery manager, architect, MIDDLE POSITION ADVERTS

wealthy, succsesful, smart (maths yo) AND creative. whoa just gotta tick all the boxes in case someone comes along and asks

this is my job, nice because you can wear whatever you want to work. at my office anyway

an Veeky Forums career is any that provides a requisite level of financial stability and personal freedom to pursue your own interests. your career coinciding with your interests is a bonus.

This
Currently studying for an integrated PsyD, my professors are super Veeky Forums and so are most of the other students.

>engineer at uni

Now I'm work as junior programmer (data analyst) at the local nuclear reactor. Pay is shit. After apartment and food I have 35$ for clothing
>poorlife.jpeg

After ~4-5 months I want look for a job at Morgan Stanley or something similar company.

kill me

Working for a record label

if you're English, then this

will this industry exist in 10 years?

currently working in film (in an office) and would love to transition to a record label

>Working for a record label

As what? There's no real need anymore for ARs or talent scouts with the internet. Most advertising and promoting is done by the artist or outsourced to a smaller company.

But i guess it's very Veeky Forums to be part of a record label street team or something low level lol.

I'm going to school for screenwriting but I feel I have a better chance of success if I were to sing for a funk/r&b band.

I'm an international survey research analyst, is that effay?

Welfare King

That's what I'm doing! I've got a well paying job that gives me plenty of free time to work just as hard at my creative profession. It's awesome desu