/cyberpunk/

/cyberpunk/

hi Veeky Forums. let's have a thread dedicated to the fashion aspects of the cyberpunk aesthetic. what's some cool cyberpunk clothing?

classic 80's cyberpunk is welcome, but i'm also curious to see what you guys think modern cyberpunk fashion would look like. This may be different considering that today we actually live in the future that many cyberpunk novels predicted in the 80s/90s

Other urls found in this thread:

pressingdog.shop-pro.jp/?pid=108106579
panelsyndicate.com/comics/tpeye
youtube.com/watch?v=99FwxzqWnrk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

nobody?

stop just go to the techwear general faggot

okay i'll continue to bump this. just copped these. do you guys think they could give off a cyberpunk vibe if i paired them with some black techwear?

(forgot image in last post)

i think this is different enough to warrant its own thread

>do you guys think they could give off a cyberpunk vibe if i paired them with some black techwear?
>i think this is different enough to warrant its own thread

cyberpunk has roots in fantasy. techwear is all about practicality. sure there's a lot of overlap, but i was hoping we could get conceptual with this thread too. there's a lot to talk about with this stuff

artstation.com/artwork/Qo4Z8

>artstation.com/artwork/Qo4Z8
yeah i looked at these back when i read neuromancer. pretty cool stuff.

i wish they had illustrated more of the panther moderns aside from just lupus. gibson is always going on about the different subcultures like the panthers, the gothicks, the kasuals, and the jack draculas and i'm curious what the fashion involved with those different groups looks like

Cyberpunk had roots in science fiction and is a dead genre because it's no longer fiction. Cyberpunks don't try to dress like cyberpunks.

Techwear is a real fashion trend, it's what real cyberpunks would wear.

Black M65s are Kusanagi-approved.

that's not m65

Dead genre? They're making cyberpunk 2077 as an upcoming AAA game and a live adaptation of Ghost in the Shell came out this year, I would call it dead just yet.

I think the main difference between cyberpunk and tech would be the use of repaired or recycled materials, as punk generally is associated with DIY culture. This is a juxtaposition with tech, which is all about efficiency, clean lines and the newest and best stuff.

An game based on a old tabletop, and a remake of a movie from 1995.

There's no new IP coming out, because the things cyberpunk used to fantasize about are basically real now.

And GitS wasn't DIY, it was very clean.

Dead genre, it's not as big as it once was but not dead. And what technology low-life's ideal of freedom of information, right to privacy is more relevant than ever.

Cyberpunk was always high tech low life, if you don't partially look like a scum you're just doing tech.

Low life high tec
i.e. cheap second hand clothing

Intentionally looking like scum is just posing, user. That's not punk.

Look like how you want as much within your means as possible. Don't try to look like more of a low life than for are just for the sake of seeming like a lowlife.

That's just gay.

Case didn't try to dress like a broke hacker, he was one. Molly didn't dress like a broke hacker because she wasn't one. Neither does the Major. Or JC Denton.

Dress within your class.

That's kind of my point. It makes no sense to be wearing $800 acronym pants if you're not making bank

>Case didn't try to dress like a broke hacker, he was one. Molly didn't dress like a broke hacker because she wasn't one
true. but "broke hacker" isn't the only look within the repertoire of cyberpunk.

plus, i am broke. and i might not be a hacker, but i obviously spend a lot of time on the internet. techwear is cool, but like that other user said, i can't afford that shit.

Pretty nice

Neuromancer is such a terribly written book. I'll always have a soft spot for sci-fi. A lot of science fiction authors have interesting ideas, but page for page the writing is generally awful (PKD is another offender here). Only examples of well written sci-fi that come to mind are when non-sci-fi authors write a sci-fi novel (e.g. Never Let Me Go, Bleeding Edge).

Bump

>Neuromancer is such a terribly written book
>page for page the writing is generally awful
what do you actually dislike about it? you haven't said anything critical here. i think it's brilliant

And the last on from Won Kar Wai's 2046

cool dump user. thanks for the inspo/bumps

More cyberpunk cuties, please.

Sure thing bud

damn that's a good look

haven't read necromancer, but I agree so much about PKD. its such an unpopular opinion, but I always get funny looks when I bring up what a bad writer he is. he's a genius but its the ideas he comes up with and explore which make his books worth reading.

Hell yeah it is, I'm not fucking around here. Most of the people who frequent this board have no idea what they're talking about

>when I bring up what a bad writer he is
again, what do you dislike about his writing? like you said, that's a pretty unpopular opinion so i'm curious what you're basing it on. i haven't read any pkd yet, but i'm currently working on finishing "mona lisa overdrive" and after that i'm going to move on to "do androids dream of electric sheep"

i've heard nothing but praise for it

fuck. w2c hoodie?

I don't bloody know

Can anybody actually describe what Cyberpunk even is? I mean the term is pretty wide in description...

pressingdog.shop-pro.jp/?pid=108106579
wasn't that hard to find.. just Google a little man.. also it's sold out

damn that's a bummer. thanks anyways

Dead? I think it's a continuous question. How does man relate to the negative aspects of technology?

The Private Eye. Free to download at panelsyndicate.com/comics/tpeye

>again
I'm not the same poster, nor do I visit Veeky Forums

but compared to other fiction i've read, PKD is just "dry". he describes events in a very objective and kind of uncreative way. dialogue tends to go "he said, she said, he thought, he said, she thought" etc. he has a limited vocabulary and I feel like he repeats himself a lot. maybe not word-for-word repetition, but sentence patterns and things. just not very much variety in the prose. it feels like somebody who has spent their whole life writing lab reports decided to write a fiction novel.

don't get me wrong, even though the prose is kind of dull I love his books.
I would expect that you've heard nothing but praise because the story, the themes, his insights into technology, culture, society, and humanity really make the reader think. its an enjoyable and fascinating book, but it reads like an extensive essay rather than a novel.

(apologies to rest of thread for going off-topic)

high-tech lowlife seems to be the common consensus. as far as fashion goes, think gothic punk rock with an emphasis on futurism.

here's an excerpt from mona lisa overdrive where gibson describes the way that one of the poor subcultures dresses

>The four Jack Draculas huddled like ravens on the opposite platform. They wore nondescript black raincoats and polished black combat boots laced to the knee. One turned to address another and Kumiko saw that his hair was drawn back into a plaited queue and bound with a small black bow.

I feel like Cav Empt captures a cyberpunk vibe to an extent

awesome. thanks for the input user. that definitely makes sense. i'll keep an eye out for that kind of stuff when i start the book. i'm still p excited to read it though.

its just personal taste, you might love his style of objective and straightforward prose.
I'm a big poetry fan so I might be biased anyway, its a great book. nothing like the movie, but still fascinating.

>I'm a big poetry fan
you would probably like gibson then. his prose is just a step away from poetry. i would definitely recommend neuromancer

Buzcut, turtleneck sweater and round glasses usually make a trick for hacker look. Flatlander got it quite well.

not that poster, but writing style aside I'd recommend A Scanner Darkly, its one of my favorite novels.

I'm currently making a denim battle jacket with a vaguely cyberpunk feel.

pics?

There's too much to comment on here so i'm not going to quote anything but this is a blanket reply to the whole thread.

No, cyberpunk does not equal techwear, and ideally, yes, cyberpunk would get it's own thread, but unfortunately not a lot of people understand what is so great about cyberpunk, and the little media that does understand makes a thread in fashion, while justifiable, somewhat implausable. Mike Pondsmith (Designer of Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop board game and a guy who "gets" cyberpunk) often refers to a quote by william gibson about how the street finds uses for technology, and I think that's a good way to look at it.

That having been said, William Gibson is a hack. And like another poster said, PKD is also a pretty lousy writer. Fortunately, Cyberpunk takes the good and dumps the bad. The GitS movie from 1995 is awesome and "gets" cyberpunk, but it's just a movie and it's hard to justify the popularity of an entire outdated genre on a single movie and a single book. So when you go looking for more cyberpunk stuff I think you're essentially doomed to leave cyberpunk and go to softer sci-fi at large, i.e. deus-ex, the matrix, ect. which is fine but I wouldn't say they are pure enough. In the 80's and early 90's, punk aesthetic still had a lot to do with cyberpunk, and that remains today, but since punk aesthetic is dead, it's hard to say anything else, i.e. techwear is really truly cyberpunk

punk aesthetic is dead? I see people wearing combat boots, denim jackets, and other punk staples all the time.

>it's hard to justify the popularity of an entire outdated genre on a single movie and a single book
this is unfortunately true.

but the genre is due for a renaissance imo considering how much technology has evolved since the 90s. the internet alone is such a huge, impactful invention that it should have ushered in a new technological aesthetic.

also i totally disagree that gibson is a hack, but i would love to hear your thoughts about him

It did usher in a new aesthetic tho
Where do you think vaporwave and PC core comes from

"The street finds its own uses for things"

was the quote i was thinking of, and the one mike pondsmith quotes all the time, and I agree with it being the definition of cyberpunk, because it doesn't say anything about technology or dystopia or aesthetics. Very simple. Neuromancer is the ultimate cyberpunk bible and unbelievably cool.

That having been said, Gibson is not a good author. Neuromancer is confusing. I've never recommended anyone read it outside of them having an interest in cyberpunk. After the sprawl trilogy he disowns his own genre but it's really all that makes him culturally relevant so he often chimes in on things he has no business chiming in on (see his travel articles we wrote for wired) and because at the time Neuromancer seemed prophetic, people listened. I don't mean to sound harsh but the sprawl trilogy is the only cool thing he ever did, and since it was his first series, he is constantly trying to disown it and grow past it, and then stay relevant at the same time by having opinions about technology and shit. If he had any dignity, he'd let his writing speak for itself, but I don't think that would help, as no one is interested in anything he does that isn't about cyberpunk.

>Where do you think vaporwave and PC core comes from
very true. i actually wrote a paper about that in college. i guess i just meant a more widespread phenomenon. hopefully we see a blossoming of that aesthetic as time goes on.

what do you think post-internet/vaporwave fashion would look like? (excluding those shitty arizona tea graphic tees)

post internet/vaporwave?

vaporwave was heavily influenced by dail up and the birth of the internet, so the next logical step would be DSL/high speed. Also, lots of the logos are akin to the logos of the dotcom bubble, so looking forward maybe it'd be stuff resembling or referencing the banking crisis.

>stuff resembling or referencing the banking crisis

I didn't realise I wanted this until now

Banksy feel in fits?

I don't know, but it'd likely take the feel of consumerism/materialism paired with some despair and hopelessness, not sure how that'd translate into graphics though. Possibly things revolving around foreclosures or abandoned properties?

post new wave punk and new wave cyberpunk here we come

Walking billboards?

I don't think it would be billboards as much as it would be combinations of extravagance mixed with poverty, like a trucker jacket made from roughed up pinstripe fabric or something like that. The type of clothes that would signal a have falling to a have not.

Holy shit user you're onto something

Okay imagine simple clothing staples with dreary colors, but printed on them are grandiose patterns like beautiful tapestries made from corporate logos that are made to feel like high fashion. Bit all the logos are worn and the whole thing gives off a feeling of homemade sort of thing

>what do you actually dislike about it?
Like I said, I dislike the prose. You can enjoy a books themes, setting, plot, etc. while acknowledging that the writing is subpar. I like Gibson and PKD. Having said that, read a paragraph of Gibson then go read a paragraph of Faulkner or Nabokov (for example) and what I'm saying here will become obvious. In retrospect I'm not sure why I made this post. My main board is Veeky Forums and it's so polluted with /pol/ migrants that its become unbearable. I guess I just wanted to talk about books. :-)

Maybe we move in different circles. This is actually a popular opinion of PKD on Veeky Forums as well as among people I've met IRL who have read him.

"Do Androids Dream" is nothing like Blade Runner. Very cool book tho. All I'm saying is approach it on its own terms and don't expect it to be similar to the film. Ubik is probably my favorite PKD.

Good posts.

lot's of cool theorizing and shit ITT. i'm excited to see where this goes. have a bump

Holy shit I love this, anons
what would it be called? Consumer-core? Brand-punk?

I wouldn't say no one cares about his non-cyberpunk works, I'm reading Pattern Recognition at the moment and it's really good.

source on image please

corporate punk or something like that

i found it on /x/. not sure where it's originally from.

>like ravens

>his prose is just a step away from poetry.
Not him, but are you serious?

the book was written years before that movie.

>Not him, but are you serious?
yeah. i'm sure it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's written in a stylized, artistic way that prioritizes creating a mood over conveying blunt meaning. that's why people think it's so confusing

You should check out vintage Hysteric Glamour. They've done collections playing with the iconography of traditional American advertising before.

dude its workaday popular fiction. have you read Hamlet or Moby Dick?

>use this video for reference

youtube.com/watch?v=99FwxzqWnrk

Death grips is cyberpunk af