decantshop.com/
theperfumedcourt.com/
surrendertochance.com/
perfumista.co.uk/
ausliebezumduft.de/fragrances.html
---
on DIY fragrances
perfumersapprentice.com/

You (may) be fucked. Try it out even if it is a 2016 batch. You'll see what I mean when it corrodes your fucking nostrils as you take that first whiff if it IS 2016. Then comes the insane salt and rubber and versace, with very, very tiny hints of the original fruity melon hidden in the background that die almost immediately. No doubt this was done in an effort to improve performance, an issue for MI before this, because the scent will never fucking leave you.

Definitely return if 2016. Make up whatever excuse you have to.

What stores carry varied mens fragrances

I want to buy something but i dont know where to go that would have enough varied ones to try

Don't put ideas in his head, man. Let him come into it with a clean slate. Besides, he might like the more prominent citrus notes.

I say you should get your bottle, give it a smell, make up your own mind if you like it or not. That's what's important anyway. I will say, I've smelled many different batches of MI and I've yet to encounter one that I would consider bad.

We already have enough niche elitism in these threads nowadays, let's not start in on the batch elitism too.

For a novice, Sephora's a good start. They have a decent selection of designer and mid-range niche stuff usually, and they're pretty generous with samples.

Where do you live?

Is it better to have a signature scent or have a lot of variety?

Are you me? I had the same thoughts running through my head while reading that user's posts.

I'm sure plenty of people like the idea of always smelling the same, and that's great. I liken it to always wearing the same shirt, thus prefer a variety, appropriate to the weather/occasion/outfit.

And let's not forget

Just how much normie is this?
Thinking about getting it

Guys, I don't know too much about perfumes and I just want a strong scent durable one, what you recommend me, something that would stick out.

Are "fruity" and "masculine" notes mutually exclusive?

dior sauvage

aventus is fruity and masculine

Now that gourmands, fruitchoulis and rose-aoud combos are the "it" thing out there apart from the niche market exploding, any other /frag/s wanna speculate on what the next "trend" might be? Even if its probably gonna be exploited and done to death.

Depends on personal preference, if one perfume you find is so good its the only thing you want to wear, then go for it. But if you want a rotation or wearing one fragrance all the time bores you, then having a solid rotation it good. If you prefer one fragrance family then get a nice variety in that subset, if you like multiple families (i.e. florientals, fruity-chypres and aromatic fougeres) then pick a favourite from each family that you find to be the best to your nose.

Can I get recommendations based on this?

Avignon by Comme des garçons
Full incense by montale

My Sauvage fragrance I bought about a year ago is coming to an end. Is it still THE fuccboi fragrance or is there something new on the block?

Thanks user.

Animalics.

Several of the people I work with wear perfume, but most are fragrance normies who own and wear just one or two different scents. We have Aventus guy, Guess lady, Bijan granny, bearded Patchouli dude, ylang-ylang hair oil nigress, Victoria's Secret body lotion girl, and CK One / Versace Eros dyke. For better or worse, I identify these individuals by their daily scents and if they changed fragrances I would notice it. If you go this route, you're betting hard on the distinctiveness as well as the widespread appeal of your chosen fragrance. Also if you're going with just one scent, please don't make it a club scent. Aventus guy is a total mong and applied way too much until I told him he could be smelled at a distance of 20 yards.

I have a large collection, but I stick with four or five core fragrances per season at work so that others have the chance to become familiar with the scents. I also like to theme my wears, rotating through ouds in the winter, green colognes and vetivers in the spring, heavier woody scents in the fall, and so forth. This way people notice over time that user always smells a certain way, but it's always new and different.

Do you mean animal like civet, castoreum, musk and ambergris? If thats the case its best to find either a vintage fragrance pre 1979 when deer musk was officially banned (around mid eighties for the civet ban). If not then go for a fragrance that handles synthetic civet well (when done badly its screechy) or has some form of muscone that isn't laundry musk synthetic.

However if you did want to go vintage to find a fragrance with all these animalic essences, go for Bal A Versailles. Not the one they sell in the golden metallic looking box, that reform gets negative press, go for the one that has a pale butter yellow box with a printed cord pattern around it. It was marketed towards women but the leatheriness of the castoreum and the fact the florals are hushed kinda makes it very modern for its time.

As for ambergris, only a few perfumes today have any at all. You're probably better off going for an attar by the likes of Sultan Pasha, who definitely does use ambergris.

However, if you want a fragrance that does a good job of replicating the effects of animal essences I can recommend some of those to you too.

ok lara

I wear Rihanna body spray because I found it at Ross for $2.99

Are you meming him?
>something that would stick out
>sauvage
I'm not one of those people who despise sauvage to the core. I dislike it, but it's the furthest thing from sticking out. I promise you that at any one club or bar or dinner of 30 people they'd be at least 4 or so wearing sauvage.

Eau Sauvage on the other hand, is a lovely option.

Not elitist, I've never owned a non-sample quantity of 2015, not trying to lord anything over him. Just an user who was in his situation and got burned really hard. I know I worded my posts pretty strongly, but I really don't anyone else falling for it.

Also, to the first user...you haven't tried a 2016 batch, right? You're the one with the 2014 and 2015 backup, correct? Go to Saks and give it a whiff, then try staying that optimistic.

Sauvage is like a refined fuccboi sort of
If you want full-on fuccboi try 1 million or Ultra Male. Personally, 1 Million Prive smells 1000x better than the original, so go for that if you do.

So i did my first serious in-person shopping today, first in sephora, where I sampled at least half a dozen low-mid range choices, and a few tom ford's they were featuring. They were out of sample bottles so i will have to go back.

For all the hype, I surprised I didn't like la nuit de l'homme very much, though I'm a big fan of the original l'homme / l'homme libre.

Then I went to the bond no. 9 store - as expected, the experience is completely different, you can't try anything on your own and the sales person will only spray the paper thing for you. The one I was really interested in was tsopfh, which I was told has great longevity and sillage, but neither of those seemed to be the case, and while it smelled nice, it didn't blow me away.

Did I get memed, or do I have to get some and try it for a few days to really get the point? The in store testing set up didn't seem to give me the full picture.

Sauvage was abrasive as fuck to me yesterday, almost offensive - do chicks really like this stuff?

Do you need a signature smell?
/How important is a signature smell?

I like a lot of fragrances but I don't wanna wear a different one every 2-3 days, people would just think I smell weird

Wait until it dries down, it has this really great woody base.

Also, La Nuit De L'homme is really lame, you're right. I also really like L'homme and Libre, but La Nuit just fails to deliver so hard, it's really underwhelming and generic.

Also, TSOPH DOES have insane longevity, lasts for fucking days on clothes and even skin. It's very linear, though, and you don't go anosmic to it, so you might get sick of it if you wear it. Ask for a sample.

I'd suggest buying a sample spray of TSOPH (like $8) if you have access to a Bond store or a Saks. It's a shame they didn't offer you a skin test - just ask next time. Tell them you would like to see how it wears on skin. Perfectly reasonable.

When you're ready to buy a bottle, I suggest Fragrancenet or Notino, both of which usually sell 100ml for around $140-$150.

cdg avignon
unnum LAVS
profumum olibanum

I actually don't have a Saks near me. It does seem like on Fragrantica and Basenotes, though, people are pretty split. A lot of people seem to love the 2016 batch, a lot of people seem to dislike it.

I don't mean to be a dick and call you out, I'm just saying, perception can be colored. If you tell the guy he's gonna get a bad batch, then he's going to dislike the scent because his brain thinks he's supposed to. Just let the dude make up his own mind. If he tries it and legitimately hates the scent, then he can worry about it.

I have a couple dozen frags in my collection and pretty much just wear whatever I feel like on any given day. Never gotten any negative comments. I have gotten "oooh! I love that one!" from coworkers, though.

>how much normie is this?
It's not obscure or avant-garde if that's what you mean, but it is fantastic. The only thing is its longevity is horrible.

>Animalics
>Bal A Versailles
Seconded. And adding vintage Antaeus and Kouros.

Other user here. Yeah, elitism isn't the right word, but some people seem more susceptible to cries of "fake" or "reformulation" than others. I hate to see people's experiences of a beloved hobby tarnished by mob mentality panic.

Smelling stuff on a piece of paper is worlds different from skin. Plus, I will not keep that piece of paper for 10 hours to see how it performs. While getting s spray on skin from a tester at a store is still better than paper, I much prefer having my own sample from which I can wear it multiple times and truly take a frag for a test drive before I decide if it's FBW.

In the US at least, it is Sephora policy to give three ~2ml spray samples per visit with a smile, so ask away. While I've never been to a B9 boutique, their reps at higher end stores seem pretty generous with samples as well. You can certainly just walk up to anyone at Sephora and say "can I get a sample of X?" but you might have to finesse it just a bit more at higher end places.

CB I hate perfume cradle of light ur welcome.

>he forgot Cardinal by Heeley
Or even Opus 1144 by UNUM

Last year I bought a few samples from Creed, Kilian, L'Humaniste, and after sampling all of them, my favorites are Aventus (surprise surprise) and GIT.

I find that Creed is pretty expensive, but I'm not looking for a clone. What offers good performance, smells similar to one or the other, doesn't break the bank? Any suggestions?

I already have Terre d'Hermes and Tuscan Leather, so I'm looking for something to complement that.

ah shit of course its LAVS not opus

(samefag here)

Forgot to mention that depending how you want your animalics to act you will want to opt for either the eau de cologne, parfum de toilette (not the EDT) and the pure parfum.

Based on the ones I have from the 60s formula (the 70s formula has a ever so slight difference so go for either 60s or 70s for the real animal essences) the civet in the EdC is very prominent when you first spray and it is the dominant note throughout. The civet is the PdT is more muted as it is overall stronger in the benzoin resins and the labdanum. The civet in the pure parfum is a note you will always be able to pick out but its not dominant, id say the spices and soft florals are dominant alongside the neroli and bergamot depth, in the dry down of the pure parfum its very very very much a skin scent but the leatheriness of the castoreum, the warmness of the deer musk and the ambergris you can just about pick apart from the labdanum, vanilla and benzoin (even though the previous three are used to evoke ambergris, the ambergris in this is a totally different beast, I can only compare it to the ambergris that lingers in RHL).

So all in all, if you want a projective animalic, go for the EdC concentration. A bit more personal go for the PdT. But if you are planning for a sexy close encounter and want them to bury their nose where you applied it, go for the pure parfum. Again I cannot stress this enough, if you choose BaV, go for the pale yellow box (for the parfum and PdT) and the original white box for the EdC. The 60s formula will have the same font for "Jean Desprez" that the modern formula uses but the 70s version will have a straighter font.

I've tried Vetiver Blanc by Sultan Pasha. Top notch salty ambergris. Can't stand shitty woody amber ACs anymore after smelling the real thing.

Yes I love his work too. I don't know about the rest of his perfumes but RHL has a slightly salty, slightly sweet muskiness to it in the dry down. I got the white/gold variety of tincture for ambergris.co.nz which to me had a lot of tobacco facets to it but had a slight muskiness too.

As for other sultan pasha attars irisoir and incense royale were very good quality. I love his aurum as well, although its rarely available and I am saving up for the next opportunity where it springs up.

RHL? Newest batch of the Aurum is nearly ready according to Sultan. It will be on sale soon.

Oh I meant the one from Roja Dove sorry x3 I can't vouch for all the scents though as reviewers like Kafkaesque pointed out the H the exclusive black tier and Great Britain have synthetic woods or woody amber ACs so potentially no ambergris in those. And I will definitely be keeping an eye out on his Ebay then, can't wait!

Oh you mean Haute Luxe. I generally trust Kafka but for that kinda money I'd rather get some vintage mitsouko extrait backups.

Hunting for that can be very rewarding but i'd definitely make sure its unopened as most of Mitsouko's character is bergamot so if that has faded then it becomes a flat scent.

As for RHL I can't really compare it to Mitsouko except having an exceptionally strong oak moss punch to it, but it has a nice dose of patchouli too. The florals are balances by hydroxycitronellol I'm guessing because the jasmine threatens to dominate the rose most of the time but sometimes they are pretty equal. He definitely used orris irones in this but due to the cost I think he used a base perfume to help make it more pronounced in the deep base. As for the major synthetic used, the alpha iso-methyl ionone can hit you when you first spray it, kinda smells like parma violet sweets, but I think its used to again settle the orris, as well as calm the indolic nature of the jasmine. Definitely a beautiful perfume, maybe worth about £600-800 if you take packaging away and price markup for various things. Although if anyone ever managed to take that formula and make it into attar concentration, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Thanks. Sounds good. I'll probably get a sample.

Can people here name some manly avant-garde fragrances that are good for high heat.

For reference I use dior homme and parfums de marly herod already

Christopher Street

Yeah, exactly this. I think a lot of people have fragrances they might otherwise love ruined for them by reading about how they've been reformulated or whatever. I just don't want to set that other user up for failure when he gets his MI and immediately assumes the worst, y'know?

honestly I'm more worried about getting some shit that's been sitting on a truck in dubai for 6 years

Is there something that is basically exactly La Nuit but a bit lighter and more suitable for warmer weather/daytimes?
Ik its basic as fuck but I really love la nuit so I just want some variety but in a similar flavor family I guess?

l'homme..

Fuck I should've been able to figure that out, thanks lol

Pineapple Vintage Intense is a good, quality fragrance that's similar. Might try Pineapple Vintage Noir if you want to go dirty/dark like Terre D'hermes and Tuscan Leather.

Smells terrible. Like a cheap old woman designer frag.

I second this. I got a bottle of PVI not long ago and I very much enjoy it. Smells like a nice, smoky Aventus batch. Not too sweet, nice fruity pineapple, with a healthy kick of smoke. Very high quality fragrance.

actually not so bad, i guess my arms just smell like shit. smells good on my neck

smells just like the package. a bit dull, a bit good.

Thank you very much Anons. Have a great day or night.

For what it's worth, I don't think l'Homme smells anything like La Nuit.

What's the best, lowest fragrance detergent I can use to keep my clothes smelling neutral but that isn't some hippie dippie shit that won't clean them?

gorillaz: the fragrance

Edgy

>lowest fragrance detergent
Have you ever been with someone and smelled their laundry detergent? Don't think I ever have, beyond clothes fresh out of the drier or drawer. If there is any laundry detergent that actually smells that strong so as to be noticeable in public, they should win some kind of award.

i don't fucking know. it smells alright i guess.

Unscented detergent is a thing boss

Anyone try this yet?

I tried pic related today at nordstrom and wasn't really impressed. just after spraying this on my wrist it just smelt like really strong sandalwood. after about ten minutes I started to enjoy the floral notes that came out but It wasn't intoxicating like most people describe it. is it normal not to be impressed by GIT? I feel like its quite overhyped

its all subjective really

what do you guys think of eccentric molecules?

I have it, I never noticed anything special with it.

Tried Sauvage again. I actually liked it a lot this time. But yeah, clearly this is how everyone else smells, and that probably makes it a pass for me.

I've been told to try Eau Sauvage, I will do that next time as well.

I will definitely push harder for a TSOPH sample/skin test the next time I'm at a place that sells it.

The plan is to get 2-3 mid rangers and 1 high tier in an order form fragrancenet when their big coupons roll around, so I'm making a point to try as much as I can for free in preparation for that.

>I've been told to try Eau Sauvage, I will do that next time as well.
It's completely different from Sauvage. Just letting you know. Completely different ballpark

i tried invictus and sauvage yesterday. for me they were somehow similiar, however i liked invictus alot more. do you think invictus is good because the general consens in the frag community seems to be it being not good but only for immigrants etc?

Current Eau Sauvage is utter shit. Don't bother with it if you can't find a vintage bottle.

I just purchased this. It smells wonderful. Slight musk rather dark

When I tried it, I got more "high schoolers" than "immigrants."

Either way, pass (late 20's)

I wouldn't call GIT overhyped. It's nearly 30 years old and still doesn't smell dated. It's a timeless classic. And no youn don't have to be impressed by it.

It's a pleasant fragrance, sweet and appealing but very basic, so a lot of people on here don't care for it. Even I find myself not very fond of it anymore, but I really wish I still enjoyed it as much as I did initially.

Still, get it and enjoy it! It's a good, crowd-pleasing frag despite the overwhelming negative response by snobby people. Just be sure you're young enough to pull it off.

does Veeky Forums like any of the blu mediterraneo scents?

Anyone wear this stuff? I got a bottle a few months ago cuz it reminded me of the 90s. Wore it to work today and somebody said it smelled like somebody farted ass in here. Apparently it was marketed as unisex and grills wear it too. Do grills like it? Any experiences anons?

Why do they have such similar names if they are so different?

What's the cutoff for a good batch? Like I said I'd just grab a bottle off fragrance net, that's all I have the inclination for at the moment (unless it's some holy grail, otherwise I'd rather spend time trying more brands and categories).

I just liked Sauvage more than the 1st time I tried it, but I still think it's boring to smell like everyone else.

To the user who had a '14 and '15 batch of Millesime Imperial: which is better? Have a chance to get one, but wanna pick the right one. Goes out to anyone else who's tried both, too.

Dunno. Haven't opened my 2015 bottle yet, still got like 1/3 of my 2014 bottle left. Basenotes says good things about the 2015 batch, though, for what it's worth.

Hm, alright. What batch is your 2014?

SO3314D01. Don't know how it is compared to the 2015, but it is very nice. I can't see anyone having a problem with it.

I have like 10-15 different ones like Burberry, duck, ck, Versace etc from gifts

They all smell the same up close when I try to tell what they smell like

How am I supposed to know which is best or what's good/bad

I just wear rexona deodorant most of the time

where are you finding 15 batches?

Not him, but my 2015 backup bottle was from fragrancebuy.ca. Can't guarantee what they have, but you could email them and ask, Gary is very good about responding quickly and trying to accommodate requests.

i like that

Bump desu

You just need to exercise your nose more. Smell more stuff. Really. All the herbs/spices, all the fruits/vegetables, etc. And keep trying to pick out notes listed on FG/BN in the scents you have. You'll find some, but it would take some kind of supernose to detect them all in a busy fragrance.

Any thoughts on lalique encre noire? I thought it had a heavy graveyard feel like ppl say before testing but seemed like a classy scent...
And which one is better overall terre eau tres fraiche or dior cologne 2013?

>Any thoughts on lalique encre noire?

It's better in a cool environment. Especially a cool night when you're just chillin', alone.

In a slightly warmer environment, just use one spray.

Not for the sake of others, but for you. The projection isn't very far, but it lasts a long fucking time.

At least 12 hours before becoming a skin scent of just vetiver.