Are you an idiot if you spend 200 bucks on a jacket like this if you‘re a poor student?

Are you an idiot if you spend 200 bucks on a jacket like this if you‘re a poor student?
What‘s the general lifespan of a shearling/ leather jacket?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/usr/yingshope2009?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Antique Silver Feather Ring - Approx Size 17mm - N&_id=292149548215&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658
ebay.co.uk/usr/tinkys.treasures?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I need to rationalize this purchase

Generally if you care for it well and don't throw it in mud it will last you a long time, but the issue comes with just being careful because you aren't always thinking about it. With regular wear and little care it will last a while but will tend towards a more worn look of course. The lining on the inside will become problematic as it is going to be really really sensitive to all kinds of wear and will honestly just be crap after a few years if yourself caring for it properly. It's a fine price though.

I may be biased cause i hate jackets like these, they look so costume-y even on people who can pull it off

Otherwise, 200$ wont be able to get you a high quality enough product for it to be a long lasting purchase. You sound like you are struggling to afford it in the first place. So definitely down

If you cant help yourself try some thrift stores in your city, but these are probably going to be even more unflattering

200 bucks isn't crazy for a shearling jacket

but don't mind me and my €4 coat.

>200$ wont be able to get you a high quality enough product for it to be a long lasting purchase
Why? What does high quality mean?
>costumey
Dunno but a nice shearling bomber looks boss and very comfy. Probably the most comfy of any winter jackets

Looks good mayne but not warm enough for winter

>but not warm enough for winter
it's okay in that regard. zipped up layered it'll do fine in morning commutes by public transport. I have an even warmer one, though.

$200 is fairly cheap, make sure you aren't buying crap - construction quality sometimes matters more than leather quality since even meh leather can survive for years - meh stitching won't.

Generally speaking I think of items like this (belts/boots/jackets) as investments - they look better with time and when cared for they can survive 10+ years - some even a lifetime - so the price is fair when compared to the price of items that survive/entirely lose shape after only 2-3 seasons.
That said if buying that coat means you won't have access to something that's essential to life/studying I'd say wait a bit more/save a sum that won't hurt you each month towards your goal.

Not a fan of the shirt and belt but I really dig the fit overall my man

Is it 2nd hand?

Because if it isn't, there's no way you a getting decent quality shearling jacket for 200$.

Don't try to cop a leather jacket until you can show us at least half a dozen non-leather jackets and more than one good fit with each.

yes it is. The seller says it cost 800 new but dunno if he be lyin.

I'm tall and skinny so I guess it should be fine.

so does that mean this second hand jacket in mint condition could last me +10 years? I'm so in love with the thickness of the fur and the overall swag-factor. Does the leather look like decent quality to you?

sorry meant stitching. Or better yet: how do you check the stitching if it's off ebay?

>Not a fan of the shirt and belt
understandable, I'll look into it.
Thanks

>so does that mean this second hand jacket in mint condition could last me +10 years?
Potentially, yes
if you look around you can find WW2 shearling pilot shearling jackets still being sold not only as collectors items but to actually be worn - that's 70+ years.

Generally speaking it's hard to tell from just pics, but what you're looking for in the pics+info is
1. no undone stitching - straps, armpits, elbows, shoulders, cuffs and lower back are where you want to focus as those are where the stitches see the most strain
2. no violent warps in leather texture - this could mean it was dried/hydrated too much at certain spots, it's less critical in moving areas as those eventually evolve differently because of movement
3. no leather flaking in/around moving areas (elbows, shoulders)
4. full grain bison, cow and horse leathers are the most durable, veg oil tanned is preferred but not a deal breaker
5. if you're buying from a smoker it's going to smell of tobacco smoke for a while - I don't personally mind, but some people do

Another important thing is to check the sizing - some brands have widly different scales for size than what you're used to.

That's all I can think of atm

w2c pants?

I second that question

show me your rings

200 us money for pic related its a bargen imo even for a broke person.
But i guess (you) already new that, seems like op wants to feel special for his purchace.

How the fuck do you wear out a jacket? I've had my leather jacket for 4 years and it's still perfectly fine

w2c?

do you clean/maintain it regularly?

eurobucks. Plus 15 bucks shipping hmmmm

thank you. That's all very helpful

We have to maintain leather jackets???

HOW
OH GOD
BBY DADDY'S COMING HOME

got it from a fast fashion store in Israel

inherited

>sedit

lol beta

it was s for small and edit for lighting

Dunno where you've got 200 dollarydoos from if you're a 'poor student', but it'll keep you warm during the winter when all you have to eat is cup noodles I guess

nice

thanks
I hate the hair on my knuckles, gross

a good leather jacket should last you for the rest of your life

hell nah bruh, leather jackets are not insulating for shit. invest in a down jacket for the winter weather if you live somewhere cold

t. norwayfag

this is a shearling tho, so it has fur inside

you'll get over it ;) no one cares about that stuff

Where did you get the ring on your index finger?
My father gave me the exact same one 15 years ago, a winged leering demon.

whats the ring on your pinky? w2c

>you'll get over it ;) no one cares about that stuff
one day

>tfw 2poor4 Julius shearling

scoured my ebay purchases for this one

this was the seller ebay.co.uk/usr/yingshope2009?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
but I can't find anything quite similar enough

ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Antique Silver Feather Ring - Approx Size 17mm - N&_id=292149548215&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658
similar, but this is the seller: ebay.co.uk/usr/tinkys.treasures?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I'm starting to lose grip on what julius exactly produces
this seems to be very different from the other stuff