Leather Jacket

Thinking of copping this jacket. Does anyone have any experience with Hein Gerickle? Are their leather products worth it?

Also leather jacket thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/how-to-burnish-leather-edges/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you Snake Plisskin?

Will you also carry a baseball bat wrapped in wire, Negan?

Get a jacket that isn't pre-distressed. Leather will wear and patina on its own.

This is pre-owned.

that looks absolutely hideous. in a really bad way. the sleeves looks like theyve been stretch from some fat ass wearing it and the leather looks like shit. why are you even asking "is the leather good"? look at it! it's shit, just look at the leather it looks awful and has aged horribly. you couldnt even wear this as a halloween costume because it looks so hideously distressed

This isn't gonna look good on you bro

>all these replies
>no mad max reference

For shame, Veeky Forums

Mad Max looks cool

>the sleeves looks like theyve been stretch from some fat ass wearing

Good point. I don't see why the patina is so bad. Care to provide examples of what is a properly aged/distressed leather in your opinion?

Why? What's wrong with the schott perfecto style? Granted, if you pair it with garbage or it doesn't fit well then sure. But I think I have a basic understanding of the criteria necessary for wearing one.

No tunnel snake reference either.

theres nothign wrong with the perfecto, its a sick look, but just buy a new one if you want the style, they even make a "vintaged" model . and if you cant afford a new one, then get one that is like 10 years old that has been kept in decent condition, not one that is like 40 years old that looks like its been laying out in the sun every summer since 1970

TUNNEL SNAKES RULE

I'm sad to see people don't appreciate the patina and age on the one I found. Either I have poor taste or it really is old and ratty like you describe it.

Honestly I think leather jackets are like a new pair of chucks, they look better with age instead of walking around with a shiny glossy new stiff jacket. The patina on the one I found gives it character and age which I can admire just like an old pair of boots. I do admit its post-apocalyptic-tier though.

>shiny glossy new stiff jacket.
perfecto makes a "shiny" version, as well as a standard version, as well as the one i posted, the vintaged version. theres a difference between "aged" and ruined, and distressed, do you buy all your shoes second hand so you can have them look beat up and old? bceause thats what youre doing buyin this, except its a jacket not a shoe

sorry i meant to say Schott makes, not Perfecto makes

you right lol this retard doesn't know what he's talking about

that said I think it's infinitely more badass to buy a new jacket and fuck it up yourself

Well, no I don't by my shoes used. For a matter of fact, I would buy the jacket brand new and just give it the patina myself through my own use since I agree that is way more badass and personalized. I'm just doing this because its a cheaper option. But what I'm trying to understand is how is this jacket ruined? I would agree its ruined if the leather was literally worn down from road rash and had the stitching coming out/zippers jammed and fucked up but it doesn't, its a very well preserved piece imo.

>that said I think it's infinitely more badass to buy a new jacket and fuck it up yourself

I agree and would if I had piles of cash laying around for a custom made/brand new one.

So by the logic I'm seeing so far, are these perfectly preserved almost half a century old boots just totally ruined and gross?

it's not rocket science. do you want an old de-colored leather jacket or not. I think it looks like shit. I'm just one person. Obviously whoever is selling it thinks it isn't worth keeping either. they should give it to goodwill not try and sell it for whatever pittance they can get. it's trash.

Gross yes. Ruined, not so.

I can't not think of this picture every time I see a leather jacket.

Most of the people shitting on that jacket for being visibly worn don't know what they're talking about.

It's a shame about the stretched-out sleeves, but that's forgivable. Personally I think the patina looks badass. The jacket has character. Anyone can look at it and tell it has a history, and I think it's just as cool to take a pre-owned jacket with a preexisting history and gradually make it your own as it is to do that with a brand new one.

Obviously several of the people in this thread strongly disagree with that and I guess that's fine, to each his own, but anyone who's said that jacket is "ruined" is just objectively wrong. The marks on that jacket aren't stains, it's a patina. Anyone who knows the first thing about leather will be able to tell you that that's a sign of quality; chrome leather just doesn't do that. It's not hard to find examples of actually ruined leather jackets. There are dozens of things that can ruin leather. Moldy or mildew-stained leather jackets are ruined. Jackets with rips or burn marks can be ruined. Leather that's started to crack is ruined, leather jackets with serious water damage are ruined. None of that describes the jacket in the OP. That jacket has patches of discoloration that are considered desirable by a lot of people who are pretty serious about leather jackets. It may not be to your tastes and that's fine but it's not ruined.

It does have a bit of a post-apoc look, but if you have a good sense of style and the rest of your outfit isn't larpy it should look fine.

Hello, need advice.
I have come into possession of black leather jacket and brown leather coat.
At least they look like leather.
Thing is, they are terribly stiff, especially the coat.
Jacket is a bit loose in some places and both look a bit dated in design, but they lay on my shoulders nicely and sleeves are of correct length.
Both are in very good condition.
I have never really worn leather, so tell me Anons, is there a way to make them not so stiff?
I may consider wearing them, but I dont want to feel like Im wearing a piece of armor all the time.
Also, how should I take care of them?

Hein Gerickle have some cool contemporary designs, but they are cut very unflattering.

You have to realize that vintage pieces are not going to fit well on you unless you are going for that look.

I do love the jacket btw. I have one in very similar condition that has perfect wear, but some idiot altered the sleeves which ruins it for me.

mamasan is disappoint

Thank you. I understand its subjective and that some people like a clean brand-new product. But to say its ruined or whatever just seems ridiculous to me. Leather enthusiasts literally seek out and will pay top dollar for well preserved aged leather with a patina, like in my boot example. Its no different with denim. You start with a stiff new pair of denim jeans or jacket and you slowly build creases and a fade/patina over time making it unique and specific to you. I thought that concept made sense to a lot of people on this board but I guess not.

That's not a natural patina. Used or not, someone distressed this jacket and left the edges raw for that mad max burning man aesthetic.

so not everyone agrees with you, oh well. what are moaning and bitching about? you can't please everyone, either buy it or don't.

You can tell its been distressed from areas such as the belt and collar that should show very minimal if any wear since those places are least used while one shoulder has very little wear which makes zero sense.
What a shit job someone did.

It doesnt take long to wear a jacket in especially if you treat it like shit

I'm glad we have on-site chief experts of forensics.

Less about trying to please others and more about discussing distress/patinas at this point.

How long would you say the break in period for a fresh one would take assuming you don't deliberately try to accelerate it?

i copped this what do we think Veeky Forums

You want me to go full autist CSI leather jacket on you? I'm 30 and got my first leather as a freshman in highschool cuz I had a boner for the Ramones and Sex Pistols. I've owned vintage Perfectos, a new Lewis Leathers, and some high end sample jackets I got for a steal. I used to have to purchase leather for a job from wholesale suppliers, and learned a bit about leatherwork by proxy. This isn't how a leather jacket naturally wears.

The first place you're gonna get wear and discoloring are places where the jacket bends, like inside the elbows, or where it scuffs, like the underside of the cuffs, back of elbows, or against the backbone.

The jackets itt thread look like they were distressed by someone wrapping a baseball bat in sandpaper and beating the shit out of them. Plus, as you wear a jacket it starts to mold to your shape, not look like it was pulled out from under a boulder.

On top of that, the edges are raw, something you wouldn't see on a quality piece of leather meant to last. It's like someone started to burnish them and then stopped before applying wax. Having unburnished edges is like having unsealed wood. More on that here: instructables.com/id/how-to-burnish-leather-edges/

How does a jacket naturally wear raw around every single edge, including the collar and belt? It doesn't.

But regardless of whether this distress is natural, you're basically paying for leather that's raw and beyond the point of care/conditioning. I hope it's at least cheap, cuz it's on its last legs.

/autism

Looks quality. Good cop. Hard color to pull off though.

>The jackets it thread look like they were distressed by someone wrapping a baseball bat in sandpaper and beating the shit out of them.

Lol @ this. Considering how expensive known brands are, where would you suggest to get my leathers from? It should be obvious by now I'm a total newbie when it comes to leather jackets. Should I just suck it up and save for a new lewis leathers? Correct me if I'm wrong but I just feel old classic brands like Schott are marked up just for their name. That's not to say they aren't quality.

you can get used schotts and aeros and vansons on ebay for like 400ish

they are all great quality and will last a long time

Thank you. How do you like your jackets to fit? Imo they should hug your body and be pretty snug but I've seen picture of rockstars just being ridiculous wearing tight little baby jackets that loose all their function and practicality. I'm tall and really thin so its a bit of a struggle.

I like them snug too but schott makes them kind of baggy so you usually have to size down, aero makes them to your specifications but those cost like 1k. You could go for the one i just got its slim fit and a bit long in the torso so it would look fine on you they make it in black and its up on the taylor stitch site rn also its made for riding if thats what you want it for.

This is so true. Ebay the best.

I picked up a size 40 Schott 518 for 150.00. That is a great deal. The 518 was made from the 80's to the early 90's, and is made from corrected grain leather, which although is not as nice as the more expensive Scott jackets, is still very nice and well made.

If you were willing to spend a little more, you could get a very very nice jacket on Ebay.

>fit

Not to tight that it can't be zipped up, but snug on your body. A proper fit is cropped. The bottom of the jacket should come to the belt line, assuming you wear your pants like a normal human being.

If not, and you want a longer jacket that is slim, you will need to go with a more contemporary design, which is going to cost you for quality.

Quality indicators are the type of leather (full grain > corrected) stiching, liner and hardware.

Also fit. You are not going to get a perfect fit unless you drop $$ for a custom Schott, Vanson, Aero etc.. The best you can hope for OTR is a close fit, which is made easier if you have the right dimensions. For Schott, that means broad shoulders with a little muscle on you, and a fit waist. 5'10" - 6'0" is where their jackets fit best.

For example, I have a vintage Schott that is a size 40 which zips up, is cropped to the top of my belt line, and fits snug. I could maybe fit a flannel underneath if it ever got cold here.

I am 5'10" 160 lbs fit. This jacket fits me perfect, but I wish I had the money to do a bespoke fit to get higher arm holes etc.

So Schott jackets are baggy even if you order one your exact dimensions?

Thanks for the info. I'm tall and really thin so I'm worried most stuff off the rack won't fit how I want it. I'm afraid I might just have to save up and have one made custom made.

where are you getting this from? on nordstrom the Schott jackets it literally says slim fitting, tight through shooulders. Schott makes tons of different jackets that are on their site, but what they source through higher end fashion retailers is slim fitting style, made for taller slim people. if you are saying they are making jackets for average height heavier people, then thats one thing, but then how are the models on the sites wearing the same jackets and they are all 6' 0, 1, 2, 3, and skinny? and the jacket looks tight on them?

What's the quality of the leather jackets from Alpha Industries? I'm curious as I'm eyeing the G-1 they offer.

RRL or bust