Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Robin Givhan from System Magazine #9.
The idea behind this thread is to post an article every Monday and try to discuss the article, as long as I get enough responses.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/QT60Y
archive.is/W8jB2
archive.is/PwXsP
archive.is/u6V6W
nga.gov/Collection/art-object-page.41593.html
archive.is/5aSDe
sz-mag.com/news/2015/09/why-fashion-and-politics-need-a-divorce/
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
vestoj.com/will-i-get-a-ticket/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Jap mag user/Strapsonstandby, have you received my email?

The referred article: archive.is/QT60Y
>an alchemy much rarer than it should be
?
>I liked clothes, but that was it.
lol @ Veeky Forums

>I see journalism as a sort of fact-based line of storytelling, and when you talk about narrative, it's also a way of making a story more personal; emphasizing the psychology of people's decision making, and the emotional depth that that entails.

>Don't offer up your opinion, just go and tell us what you see.

I wonder how scary fashion week can be. I've never visited one. What has changed in thirty years for attendees?

Do you think Robin Givhan is part of the industry, after what she said? Compare her to Garance Doré.

>You are here to please the reader: to delight them, to inform them, to look at things through a sceptical lens so they have the information that they need to process what fashion is presenting them
To delight them? Page 122 gives an answer.

Need to watch 'All The President's Men' at some point.

I believe she refers to these articles:
archive.is/W8jB2
archive.is/PwXsP
archive.is/u6V6W

nga.gov/Collection/art-object-page.41593.html

The Cathy Horyn article:
archive.is/5aSDe
and I remember an article by Eugene Rabkin/Faust about how fashion and politics should be separated.
Is fashion unable to address societal issues?
sz-mag.com/news/2015/09/why-fashion-and-politics-need-a-divorce/

it’s just meme journalism brah

And why's that BANE?

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
A download link with the full magazine will follow in due time.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

I appreciate the effort and idea here

I really appreciate these so far,
you are wonderful

would you consider making an archive or blog of these?

I would appreciate it,
I like to see what other people are reading, and it would make it easy to catch up when I miss it

Can your scanner read and interpret text?

Having these in text form, where I can plop them into my preferred reading setup would increase the comfy

As soon as I completed the scanning of one of the magazines I'm posting, I'll provide links.
My printer has OCR, but this is an imageboard.

>So, to argue that fashion doesn't want to offend it's customers doesn't add up.
This I don't agree with. Tech and fashion are very different, while I don't understand the fashion industry a lot, I do have more insight into the tech industry.

The reason why many tech giants are against Trump is not only the sake of "doing the right thing", but also because it's beneficial for them. Under Trump, the startup visa still hasn't rolled out, and it's hard to recruit outside tech talents because of current border controls stuff. This is bad for many VC's and accelerators.
Peter Thiel backed trump probably because Palantir has close relationships with the government and does a lot of data science for them, not just because he thinks trump is the right guy.

This shows that the tech industry talks about politics not only because it's "right" in a sense, but also because it's beneficial for them.

Hell, Netfilx said they didn't want to back Net Neutrality this time around because they said they were they were already big enough to care about it. Net neutrality wouldn't have a big impact on them so they didn't want to be part of it. Whether they backed NN or not in the end is trivial.

Fashion on the other hand little to earn but can have fatal drawbacks when engaging with politics. What if Balenciaga made a MAGA parody instead of a Bernie parody? Would it sell as good? Would it kill their brand? Fashion literally adds politics to their clothes, while in tech they don't. Your Iphone doesn't say anything politically anywhere.

A consumer buying an Iphone does not mean they agree with the company's politics.
But wearing political fashion on the other hand will lead to people judging you for what you're wearing. A Trump supporter will damn right not wear Balenciaga bernie parody clothes.

All in all, comparing tech and fashion is not fair. Fashion should just do it's own thing, and if they want to be political, go ahead. But it's much harder for fashion to do it.

then perhaps a running log via a site like pastebin, or an album on imgur/dropbox?

I sometimes go a while without visiting the board

pastebin.com/cPsW7xue

Lmao what is this pretentious shit?

thank you

(OP)
I think this is a great article and there are a lot of great ideas/themes we could go over here. For me specifically, the ideas of rejecting over-romanticism and art in fashion and addressing the ideas of business and consumption to readers is important.

But instead of the themes about fashion journalism, the second part of the article was much more fascinating to me. I think we have gone through fashion and power as a theme in all our "Mondays", beginning with the power held by designers, to now the symbolic power of fashion used as a message by politicians. As someone interested in power, politics, and fashion the relation is fascinating to me.

>"fashion could be used to alter people's perceptions about what they were seeing"

I would have liked this to go more into detail about the stylists behind the scenes and maybe even better: those in high positions who dictate outfits to relay a certain message (or no message at all).

Emailed you

Merry Christmas magnon!

bump

I am more than willing and capable of contributing to these threads but as someone who works in the industry I hate concerning myself with politics, I think fashion and politics should be separated it's embarrassing (and exhausting) seeing so many of my colleagues virtue signal all the time without caring enough to sit down and educate themselves on politics (an extremely strenuous task), instead preferring to make yet another instagram post about wah my diversity wah my trump wah my women wah wah wah

Sorry didn't read the article and just felt like ranting a bit hope to see more of these I'll participate when the topics have to do with what's going on in the industry right now in relation to areas that concern me professionally

not everybody here is Anglofuck you cuck,post in either German or Japanese

What part of the industry do you work in?
Can you think of examples that are the opposite or aren't there any?

>virtue signal

lol

>caring enough to sit down and educate themselves on politics

yea too bad they dont spend time educating themselves on Veeky Forums dot org and reading fbi crime statistics huh

The same issue has an interview with Polly Mellen, though I do not think it fits the topic of power. There's also the Lucinda Chambers interview with Vestoj that talked about stylists and caused trouble with Condé Nast.

Bump

Bump

I think the is the only week where where the topic has delved into capital P Politics (i.e. U.S. presidential politics, mentioning of Trump, etc.). The rest of the weeks have been concerned with the relation between politics and fashion, i.e. power and fashion, and exploring that relationship. I think as a person in the industry you would be valuable in this thread. In addition, I am just assuming that your view that fashion/politics should be separated may be in the minority here (again assuming, we haven't had enough respondents, maybe I should do a straw poll?) and diverse opinions are always welcome.
Post or link magazine user san?

I haven't scanned the Polly Mellen interview yet.
Regarding Lucinda Chambers: vestoj.com/will-i-get-a-ticket/

>Your Iphone doesn't say anything politically anywhere.
This is demonstrably false though. All discourse—which means all cultural artifacts—are political. An artifact may try to ignore the political environment in which it exists, but that refusal to engage is itself a political statement. Think of all the things an iPhone signifies or is shorthand for. Those are political statements.

honestly bane, your trip is getting pretty stale, the opinions you are exhuming on the latest wayewt are pretty dumb. you should go back into hiding, or risk obsolescence

bump