Should Vitalik bail out the DAO?

Should Vitalik bail out the DAO?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4ot3z8/dao_is_under_attack_again/
pastebin.com/sF2CqBJH
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

let the hacker keep his money.. he obtained it legitly.

Vitalk should have some balls like Nakamoto

if they do that people will lose all faith

if they do that people will lose all faith in the dao

>meh smar contracs

If they hard fork and bail out the dao, a lot of people will get their ETH back and flood the market and the price will go down.

if they don't, then those who lost money in the DAO will forever blame ETH instead of their own poor decisions and it will take a long time to regain trust.

It's a lose lose. Personally i'd rather see people get back their ETH now so this thing can keep making me money long term.

better DAO falling than ETH

people will lose faith in the concept of the dao if one dude can just arbitrarily rewrite the rules and change history whenever he feels like it is just.

my opinion: faulty dao code -> lesson learned -> next time be smarter

this is changing the law after an event, which isnt how law works

>mfw it got hacked again

wait what?

reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4ot3z8/dao_is_under_attack_again/

It's just beta guys the rules weren't set yet /s

(What Vitalik is saying)

>not understanding the majority of trade volume for all coins is done through the chinese yuan

you fuckers are retarded

Before:
>Smart contracts are the future! Fuck these central bankers! You noobs are living in the stone age! We don't need centralized authorities! The code is the only law we need!
After:
>We need our centralized authority to roll back or blacklist an address!

top lel
eth is dead

There won't be a fork because it's a stupid idea being promoted by an emotional minority of the Ethereum network who lost money.

I think the Ethdev team only proposed it so they would look sympathetic and so people wouldn't flip out and hunt them down in real life. (Somebody will probably do that anyway)

You bitcoiners are mad as fuck. Can't wait 'til BTC dies after the halving.

This.
Next time you loose money on the stockmarket please call the nyse to tell them to rewind the order book. TOP LEL

if they close the DAO and refund in ETH, then maybe an investor will only get back 60% of their investment (150mil - 50mil, so c.100mil to return), but then i think its just a job of holding ETH for the long term, writing it off for a year or more until the price rises enough to recoup your initial investment. Once ETH gets above $30 (if ever), you've more or less broken even. You'd be foolish to take a huge loss on this, in my opinion, better to risk it all on a long term payback.

Next time the NYSE is hacked, lets just let the hacker keep the money.

Fuck the dao.

Eth foundation shouldn't juggle two big projects like that, especially since both are largely relatable and in beta (essentially).

Let something like lisk or waves grow and do their thing, fuck the dao.

The correct analogy would be that a publicly traded company took investments but also had a loophole in their company policy that allowed somebody to withdraw all of the company's money legally.

Zactly! +1

Following this analogy, I think it would be stupid to fork the entire American dollar to stop the thief.

People got screwed putting money into a company that they thought was legit. This was a total scam from the beginning.

Money has been lost. Learn from it and go on with life.

not they won't you stupid /zerohedge/ pleb

ETH needs to be bailed out in order to attract mainstream investment

Let's not forget that ETH and the DAO are BETA PRODUCTS. It would be IRRESPONSIBLE for them not to provide the ability for a complete refund because otherwise people will lose all faith in smart contracts and it will KILL ETH.

This will be a ONE TIME DEAL because so much money was invested into it, it was the first DAO and it is slightly associated with the developers.

There WILL be a fork and ETH will NOT fail, you nocoiners are just going to have to deal with it.

>crypto community before the DAO scandal
decentralized!
no one man can affect its price!
there is no oversight! its the wild west!
if you can't handle the heat stay out of the fire!

>crypto community after the DAO scandal
THE DAO IS TOO BIG TO FAIL!
THE FED NEEDS TO BAIL IT OUT!

Spirit of the law vs letter of the law. Not so simple.

Yep. But a company=moral person governed by physical persons. Muh dezentralized=If shit hits the fan, no one is responsible (or everybody involved, which is the same)

>needs to be bailed
not when it defeats the purpose

kek this!

What really happened was that idiots put many millions into something they:
-didnt understand
-didnt do due dilligence for
-hoped to get rich quickly with
-had to put trust in a few no names with no credentials to speak of for

BTW im nor a nocoiner at all, but the DAO I skipped and ETH is way overvalued and overhyped. The DAO shows exactly the idiocy of muh Turing complete blockchain. Backbone systems are highly constrained for a reason and big companies/banks work with trusted and time tested institutions for a readon as well.

The whole point of Ethereum was to be immune from kikery like "spirit of the law".

DAO, not Ethereum. Blaming Ethereum for the hack is like blaming Java that your "enterprise" banking software got hacked. At the end of the day - human actors are at play and people will vote by consensus on how they want the hack resolved. It may be that fully automatic contracts is not what people actually want after all. Its a radical experiment.

You're either replying to the wrong person or have poor reading comprehension.

When the attacker drops his accomplices and Vitalik is the main suspect who has profited shit will hit the fan

pastebin.com/sF2CqBJH

This will always be the issue with crypto but thankfully bitcoin should be the exception as it becomes more integrated into society

lol'd at the scamaz