Buying and Owning Assets

So a common theme I've observed in advice and literature pertaining to the creation and preservation of wealth is that if you want to be wealthy you need to own assets.

Aside from the obvious stocks, bonds, and real estate, what are some assets worth owning. In my own research some interesting options I've come across have been: self-storage facilities, tutoring centers, and automated car washes.

What assets does Veeky Forums own/ would like to own?

Here's the easiest one. Buy real estate, charge enough rent to cover mortgage and earn a living. You'll probably need 4-5 buildings ie houses. So enough to cover mortgage bills and earn income and you're all set.

aka im a generic uncreative investor.
no risk no reward- go balls deep in some proper infrastructure that you can rent out. i.e datarack net exchange et. find your niche

It may be uncreative but find me something safer.

Blacks.

I would like to own some blacks.

Profit margins on rental properties aren't that great, and I didn't need to start a thread to know that was on the table.

You can set profit margins as wide as you freaking like.
Fuckin idiots.

the fuck? 500 a month per property isn't enough for you? literally retarded

>hey rent this house in the ghetto for $3k/month because user said you can set your margins as wide as you want!!
Lol you're not gonna make $500/month on a single rental property unless there is some hidden technique I don't know about? In which case feel free to enlighten me

k you are confirmed retarded. try and do a little research before you speak

I've crunched numbers on dozens of different potential rental properties in my area and optimistically with no hidden costs they'd be bringing in roughly $200/month. If you actually knew anything and had anything to contribute, but you're just an armchair hedgefund manager.

>quadplex
>$700 - $900 / month / unit
>~$3,200 / month before expenses
Assuming you find some halfway decent renters, I don't see why it wouldn't be a viable plan.

move out of the ghetto faggot

silver bullion bars and coins

How much do rental properties go for in your area? Where I live they tend to range from around $700/month to around $2000/month.

Pretty much the same range for me. Anything below $800 is an apartment or trailer. Single family homes usually $900+.

What sort of costs drain enough revenue to drop you down to $200/month?

The irony is every time I post a simple formula for generating income, some idiot posts why it won't work. The idiot has never tried it, while my mom has 3 rental properties.

why are you spending 700 a month maintaining a house

You've piqued my curiosity. Could you post the formula?

Not OP but:

As landlord, you have:
- Property tax.
- Inspector to make sure there's no methlab on the property.
- Repairs & maintenance.
- Utilities (mandatory in some jurisdictions, also mandatory if you live in a place where winter happens and don't like replacing the pipes on a regular basis)
- COST OF THE PROPERTY.

Let's say I have $120K and spend it on a house. I rent the house for $1K/month. Assuming no interruptions in tenancy and no expenses whatsoever (I bought it up front, it's a magic self-maintaining house) I will not have turned dime one in profit until I've had it for ten years.

If, on the other hand, I get a mortgage on it, then I have the mortgage payment soaking up most of the inbound rent payments.

you should really raise your rent

>Raised rent to $1100/mo
>Tenants found an okay single-family nearby for $1000/mo
>House is empty for 1 month between tenants.

Congrats! I have made $12100 a year instead of $12000, AND I had to evaluate prospective tenants and stage the apartment for remarketing. I'd have been better off keeping the rent the same and mowing neighbourhood lawns for extra cash. And I'm now 22% above market rents so my new tenants may well consider migrating when their lease is up.

This FFS

what fucking nighborhood are you in? a $100 difference in rent loses you business? you can only rent out a $120,000 house for a grand?sounds a lot like shitposting

>10 years before profit
but this is wrong. the property and house you now own have value. thats like putting $120k into stocks and if you make 1000 off dividends saying its not profit. the original investment is still there

Lmfao you're a fucking retard if you think anyone with a single god damn brain cell would like in a $120,000 shack for $1k/ month let alone for more than that. I know you're trying to be funny, but this thread could actually be useful to some people.

wtf? are you in san francisco or similar? where is 120k a shack?

This guy gets it. You still own the house and, assuming your tenants aren't absolute shit, you should be able to resell it when you're through with renting.

>Paying 120k for a house

there is the problem. also buying 1 house is pointless need at least 4 to make it worthwhile

>not having skin in the game

No I'm in east tennessee, property is very reasonable. But $120,000 is like a 900 square foot starter home. And again, I'd rather not discuss geographical real estate anomolies. Does anyone here own any good assets?

LOLOLOLOL dude apartments are $1050 minimum for crackhouse shit tier studios where I live. single family homes are $900+???? You live in poorville dog.

That is epic as hell dude. Seriously, that is a fantastic achievement that you live a place where real estate is expensive. I mean seriously I cannot congratulate you enough.

haha u mad sauhn. why u mad dog?

>what are some assets worth owning

Intangible assets, such as premium domain names, income-generating websites & apps.

You know that when you buy a $120k house you have a $120k house, right? Your 1000 a month goes on top of that and is a return on your investment. After ten years you have $120k, and a house that you can now sell for 140 or more due to appreciation.

How old are you? Did you have a math class yet?

Nobody can be this retarded

I'm hoping this is my landlords reasoning. We are currently paying at least 1/2 what our neighbors are. they could jack up rent but then they'd have to actually clean up this dump and find new tenants.

My mom owns 4 rental properties and the house she lives in

She keeps the rent as low as possible and thus has over 9000 applications to rent. Then she gets the pick of the litter and only goes with white business professionals with good office jobs.

Even if she's giving up like $5,000 per year per house in rent she may have been able to charge, the risk of carrying the house while it's not being rented is practically eliminated