Is spending money on a car a shit financial decision?

I believe yes.
>Literally just a tool to get you from A to B
>A 20 year old piece of shit works just the same as a new car
>Horrible depreciation, no ROI
>Mostly used as compensation for weak men

I will (and have) happily drive trash cars my whole life. Spending even $20k on a new car has to be one of the worst financial decisions you can make.

There's a girl on FB who I've watched post updates on her car loan for a while.
>Only 8 payments left!
>$160 a week for over 2 years
>Bought a fucking mini cooper
>Straight out of high school
>Works at a muffin shop making just above min wage

That's financial illiteracy for you.

>He still uses faceberg

Pathetic

try r9k

Why don't u take your short story blog post and your faceberg bullshit over to Veeky Forums faggot

Nobody on biz will read your blog post, I saw faceberg mentioned and decided to mock you

>I saw faceberg mentioned and decided to mock you

Well you sure showed me. Let me go and delete my profile and commit to a life of NEETism and general contrarian faggotry.

Why buy a 20 year old piece of shit when you can get an older Lexus, or Mercedes for less than €5k in Europe or the US.

Slow Appreciation instead of heavy Deappreciation.
Reliabilility second to none
Rides and drives better than a new shitbox.

>older Mercedes
>reliability
jej

No

A car saves you a shit ton of time. You have a finite amount of time. Time is your most valuable asset.

>Using the Facejew

Retard

There is nothing wrong with buying new or expensive cars if your net worth is high enough to justify it

20k or even 100k+ is nothing if your net with is in the millions.

Someone buying a 30k car with very little or a negative net worth is just retarded

It's amazing that there has been such a huge paradigm reversal in society that the poor now consume most of the "luxury" goods and the rich live the most frugal lives (relatively)

I saw an article months ago that over half of all new luxury car sales are financed by people making under 60k.

Blows my mind

>A car saves you a shit ton of time
If you're living in the desolate suburbs. A true Veeky Forumsraeli would live in dense urban areas like NYC or London, in which case finding parking alone takes up an obscene amount of time. Uber works out to be significantly better (in both time and money) in these places.

>Living somewhere with 5x rent just to save on gas

No, it's paying that much more to (1) get 2.5 hours of your life back from the highway jew every weekday, and (2) having things to do that are more interesting than staring at your white picket fence and people to meet who are more interesting than your insipid suburban neighbours.

Id rather not pay $3500 for a 5x5 room with one small window

>there is nothing wrong with spending $50k if you're making millions

The things people feel the need to post on this board I swear... You are all poor and mentally destitute I'm gonna quit coming here.

So what do you guys think is the maximum percentage of a yearly income (after tax) should one spend on a car?

This board is shit, what else is new

>So what do you guys think is the maximum percentage of a yearly income (after tax) should one spend on a car?

Ideally?

As little as possible so that it still fulfills your needs. Generally that means yiu don't need to spend more than $5k on a car. Since anything past that is now non utilitarian

Your ROI is getting your ass to your little job.

And if I walk?

better car means better pussy enough said.

some decision must be made with the cock in mind

good goyim

pathetic

whats wrong with a 50k car if you can easily afford it? you sound like a wannabe richfag who probably makes sub 50k a year

>another /biz retard looking for a 1 size fits all answer

OMG dumb ass - obviously buying a car depends on your situation.

If you're an M&A banker and a client invites you out to golf and discuss a deal, you gonna drive up in a 15 year old beat up Ford Focus?

And if you're rich, the cost of owning a exotic is 0.01 of your net worth- it's a no brainer

I would not buy a new car yet. In 10 years we are going to have (partly) automated driving as standard feature of cars. Then no one wants to have a car without it anymore and prices go low.

>when you can get an older Lexus, or Mercedes for less than €5k in Europe or the US.

And get eff'd in the a by outrageous maintenance costs? Old clunkers suck money out of you, old luxury cars (esp. german) can potentially bankrupt you. Thanks, but no.

>Slow Appreciation
>implying that mass-produced MBs and BMW appreciate with time

You need to keep them in garage in brand new condition (which will cost you) and drive like once a week if you plan to sell them to enthusiasts. And it has to be brabus/m3 tier, not your average models, if you want to make money. Mass-produced models hardly go up in value.

Wrong on both counts dumbass.
Old Mercedes are indestructible.
And all 25 plus year old Mercedes and BMW are appreciating quickly. Even the base models of w201 and e30.

>Old Mercedes are indestructible.

ahahahaha

>And all 25 plus year old Mercedes and BMW are appreciating quickly. Even the base models of w201 and e30

In your dreams maybe.

Outrageous maintenance costs? I have a 2009 Lexus IS250, and I've had 0 repairs in a year since I've owned it. All I've had to do is an oil change and change out the air cabin filters so far, and that cost me less than $100. If you have any common sense, you can do it yourself and save hundreds and have an amazing car.

I can't testify on the reliability of German cars, but I can testify on Lexus. Solid car, 0 problems since I've had it and virtually no maintenance costs like the idiot above has commented.

This. I live and work in an urban area, but the public transportation is so unreliable. I got tired of standing around in the cold waiting for a bus that was 30+ minutes late. I make low six figures, so I could afford a luxury car, but I paid cash for a reliable used Toyota instead. I probably save 30-40 minutes a day since I can now leave home and leave work when I want to. And even if I'm stuck in traffic, at least it is in the comfort of my own car and not standing on a bus with some hobo shoving his smelly backpack in my face. Totally worth the cost.

All depends on your situation. I don't have a car, but then again I live 15 minutes away from my job so I dont really need one. Doesn't really make sense to drop a couple thousand on a car + gas/insurance/maintenance just to get to work 10 minutes quicker.

Keep in mind, that having a car could present more employment opportunities.

>I've had 0 repairs in a year since I've owned it
>in a year

Don't you think it's too early to make conclusions?

>I can't testify on the reliability of German cars, but I can testify on Lexus. Solid car, 0 problems since I've had it and virtually no maintenance costs like the idiot above has commented.

>Guys, i bought a car and it didn't fall apart after a year! ALL Lexus cars are like and don't ever need repairs! That i can testify!

You're the idiot here. Or used Lexus car salesman, who is desperately trying to get rid of his overpriced shit.

1) If it didn't broke down yet, it does mean that it won't.
2) If your car was in good enough condition, doesn't mean all old Lexus cars are
3) If you haven't paid for the repairs yet, you cannot talk about maintenance costs

THIS

Do you really think some hot bimbo from club cares about your index funds?

However, sound of Masserati will make her drip on your leather seats.

But I guess Veeky Forums virgins wouldn't know anything about that.

You don't have one

0 repairs in a year? Any other shit car won't give you that kind of reliability. No American cars, not german cars.

Plus, I'm not going to take it to a dealership. Buy the part yourself, save yourself the stealership costs, and fix the problem yourself. An Lexus IS isn't exactly a complicated vehicle.

1) I know it'll break down soon enough.
2) You're an idiot if you don't think that. That's why you do your proper research. Nonetheless, Lexus has been near the top on reliability lists for a long time, so chances are, you're buying an extremely reliable Lexus.
3) So you're telling me I can't go on a Lexus forum and check to see how much others paid for a specific repair? Dumbass.

So? I can afford one. I physically have the cash in the safe right next to me.

>Keeping cash in a safe instead of a bank

Take a picture please. I want to see the inside of the safe

Banks ask too much questions these days senpai ;)

>Any other shit car won't give you that kind of reliability. No American cars, not german cars.

Bull-fucking-shit.
If you're buying a used car it doesn't even depend on a brand of the car so much, dummy, but first and foremost, on the condition of the car. If you deny that you're literally braindead. What you're trying to say is that a Lexus that is falling apart is better than ANY other car that is in ok condition. Literally only a shill or an idiot would do that.

You have got yourself a car that wasn't quite fucked up yet, that the reason why you haven't spend anything on repairs. Not because it's "muh Lexus".

>Buy the part yourself, save yourself the stealership costs, and fix the problem yourself

If you have a garage, skills and the tools for that. Good if it's only something minor that you can fix yourself. Most people actually have job and do not have the luxury to spend their time fixing old clunkers. That's the reason they are buying new cars.

>hat's why you do your proper research. Nonetheless, Lexus has been near the top on reliability lists for a long time

Yeah, trust this "research" and "reliability lists" all you want if you're so gullible, it's not a reason to vouch for the entire fucking brand, for ALL the fucking cars they've build, like you're on their payroll. You sound like a shill or an idiot.

>Any other shit car won't give you that kind of reliability

Untrue. My '91 Corolla lasted 5 years with only a new radiator. $2000 car.

Can you take a picture

I think if you find a used honda or toyota (also later kia and hyundai models have been ranking well consumer wise on kbb) for a respectable price that is clean then your cost to own over 5 years will probably be the least.

A lot of people focus on gas mileage or other shit but find something that'll run smoothly if you do the required basic maintenance.

There are plenty of clean decent looking options for those makers above. Lexus and Acura (not too sure about them) will be fine too since they're just the upscale toyota and honda models but the cost to own over 5 years will probably be higher.

At the end of the day you need to get from point A to point B. As long as your car isn't some retarded color (just stick with black, white, silver, or navy blue) and the interior is clean with preferably some leather you'll have something you could drive any client around with

Please go.

Anyone with half a brain agrees OP.

But.

Once you have tons, like you own a home and have $100k+ in the bank, and a good job. You can afford the luxury of a new car. Plus the statement it makes to your peers will help your social power and business ventures.

Just sayin. The guy that can get a new Mercedes every few years has some pull in his community.

Buying a used CPO 3 year car makes a lot more financial sense then buying new. Buying older cars can still get you reliability at a much lower price if you pick the right models.

That being said if your income is decent and you don't have other loan obligations you can buy a newer car or even a new car. Just be smart about what you earn, what your other expenses are, and what other loan obligations you have (if any). Also whether or not a new car is important to your job/career (protip: it can be if your job is high end enough, most white collar jobs don't quality).

dont buy a cheap car, its not worth the investment of gas and payment. also youll get used to it and not look forward to a better car.

You couldn't be more wrong. You're also using edge examples which leads me to believe you're just some penny pinching NEET that has never driven in his life.

For most cases, buying a lightly used vehicle for most americans is a great investment and most other anons in the thread have already outlined why.

You may as well be arguing that owning a home or renting is a shit financial decision because it costs a lot of money. If you want to live as a vagabond so you can sit at Starbucks on your $150 laptop trying to justify your lifestyle to a business board, by all means.

Even better, don't get a car. Just move close to your workplace.
I live 2,9 km away and ride my bike there. No insurance, no gas cost, no cost for the car itself, very very minimal maintenance and so forth.

Made me kek, so true

This moron I know saved up 10 grand over several summers to get a 30k car (his parents helped with the other 20k). What a fucking waste

>also youll get used to it and not look forward to a better car.
This is a good thing.

>buying things you like is useless, save every penny for your golden coffin

>people buying luxury cars ever giving a fuck about driving or cars

if I was covered financially for the foreseeable future I'd drop $50k on an e-class mercedes, why the hell not? why does everything have to be pragmatic with you people

Beaters are the way to go. A $500 car can't depreciate. Breaks down, part it out and buy a new one.

I'd rather save the money for something cool and enjoyable.
A car past a certain point really doesn't provide more utility or enjoyment.

Yeah a really expensive sports car LOOKS cool, but what good does it serve? "Wow nice car user" every once in a while?

maybe if you don't have any game or looks.

I've driven a nice car and a cheap car, and the results were pretty much the same for me.

>wanting to attract gold diggers

Don't do this.

People who matter aren't impressed by your new Mercedes (or any other brand).

It's okay to have a good car if you're fond of good cars. The mistake is to think people will love you for your car: they won't. Otherwise they're not the right kind of people.

?

Don't know why the heck I have two different IDs on these posts.

But I just don't see the need. It's marginal returns.

You can get a nice looking car... but past a certain point it doesn't really look much better. Same with watches for example, past a certain pricepoint it doesn't look or function any better and yet it costs enough to be worth several good ones.