Quitting a minimum wage job you hate

What is a good way to quit a minimum wage job you don't like anymore?

Is it awkward if you quit it when you've barely worked there? I've found a slightly better job and I'm just not enjoying this one, should I just stop coming in or tell them? Don't really want to work 2 more weeks desu.

What the fuck happened to her arm?

If it's a minimum wage job they'll probably just tell you to GTFO once you tell them you're quitting. They likely have hundreds of potential replacements and want to get a jump start on training them.

Leave a notice like a decent human being. We had two people quit with no notice within a few hours of each other last year (I'm a cashier). It was awful trying to fill in the gaps and clean the mess those fuckers left behind for us to deal with.

>We had two people quit with no notice within a few hours of each other last year (I'm a cashier). It was awful trying to fill in the gaps and clean the mess those fuckers left behind for us to deal with

Really huh?

What about "filling the gaps" or "cleaning the mess left behind" when you get fired?

if they wouldn't give you a "two week notice" before firing us, why should we give them a two week notice before quitting?

You just stop showing up. That's it. The "2 weeks notice" is for people with actual jobs (i.e. salaried people).

you are so sheltered....

its a heroine infected arm, from injecting so many times

>You just stop showing up

Really? Seems kinda messed up, wouldn't they start calling and asking where the fuck you went?

Seems like a good way to piss them off...

If you don't want to use them as a reference just tell them you quit. You could be cowardly about it and send them an e-mail or text or something the day before so they can find someone to fill your space for the day.

2 week notice isn't mandatory, it's a courtesy. if your boss is an asshole and it's a shit paying job they have to accept sometimes people just leave.

Just give your two weeks out of courtesy. It's always better to be on your former employer's good side. If your job you're going for fails, you're much more likely to have something to fall back on, or if someone else applies there knows you, they at least have a good reference. That is, if you aren't a shitcunt of an employee.

Plus it can be nightmarish to get people to fill in.

The company I work for doesn't rehire people who quit because my boss said if they couldn't retain you the first time they don't take a chance on you again. Should I still put in a 2 weeks notice if I decide to quit?

It's makeup

Your life is long and the world is small. Don't burn bridges without a good reason.

Forgot to mention the company doesn't even give references because it's their policy not to...

I'm cool with my coworkers and they would reference me though.

If you've barely worked there it doesn't matter. If you ever think you're going to need your minimum wage job as a reference, you're fucked.

Quit NOW! Enjoy a week off before your new job. Might be the last week you get off for the rest of your life.

>if they wouldn't give you a "two week notice" before firing us, why should we give them a two week notice before quitting?
that's shit logic. If they're firing you, it's because you fucked up. Giving a notice, however, only matters if you want to retain relationships with people you previously worked for. ie, you can just quit minimum wage jobs

I quit a well known fab shop without notice. Came back 2 years later. Reason being I was one of the best welders at that job. Like other guy said, if you aren't shit of an employee it won't be that big of a deal.

call them and say, I quit

So what if they are pissed off?

You owe them nothing. They owe you your paycheck up to that point. If you don't get it, file with the department of labor, and you'll get paid later. You're fucking stupid if you ever use a minimum wage job as a reference unless you get a paper copy in writing. There's so many barely above minimum wage managers out there that are real cunts that it's never worth wasting your time, or their time, to use them as a reference.

Fuck man thanks.

Needed those words to snap me out of it. isn't there any way of them getting back at me retroactively though? That's the one thing I was concerned with...

>If they're firing you, it's because you fucked up.
You're more sheltered than the user asking about the girl's arm.

That or one of those "right to work" retards who drank the Kool aid of giving employers 100% undisputed control of everything because they're never ever wrong or dishonest.

There's all sorts of ways they can "get back at you." Most of them are highly illegal.

Quit, collect your last pay check when you normally would assuming it's not direct deposit. If they give you any shit when you do, walk out, and immediately file a wage complaint with the department of labor. The most important thing you can do is to document document document. Assume that they will try to fuck with you. Make sure you have proof of your hours worked. Even just writing it down personally counts for something, but if you can snap a picture of the charts with your phone, or make copies, it's even better. Have proof of regular deposits to your bank handy, and the day after you don't get paid, just file. Do not talk to anyone beyond that. Do not threaten them. Just walk out and file.

NEVER sign anything, especially without reading it. Lot of places try to coerce you into signing stuff in exchange for your paycheck. They don't get to do that. If they even try, just walk out, write down what happened immediately, and file with DOL. Signing stuff is a guaranteed way to fuck yourself over.

If your boss harasses you, document it. Block their number, and ignore them. Most of them legitimately don't give enough of a fuck about you to harass you once you tell them you quit. The ones that do are too incompetent to be reasoned with, so don't waste your time. If the harassment is ongoing, maybe take all of your documentation of events (you are documenting things right?) to a lawyer, or just send a letter to HR with copies of all of your documentation, and a brief cover letter saying that you expect this to stop immediately. Do not threaten them. Send it via certified mail. If it continues after you have the receipt for the mail in hand, get a lawyer immediately. With supporting evidence, workplace retaliation is something with serious monetary damages.

TL;DR assume the worst, and if you meet any resistance, go for the nuclear options available to you.

That's policy for most companies. They'll confirm employment dates but that's it. I was referring to the fact that you may cross paths again, potentially in a different context.

Companies don't want to get slapped with defamation lawsuits. Even if they are 100% justified in calling someone a worthless cunt, getting sued over a minor discrepancy, or something completely made up, costs them tons of money in legal fees. A minimum wage employee can't pay back those fees. The old adage, you can't get blood from a stone, is quite applicable here.

It's simpler and therefore cheaper to never confirm or deny anything past employment dates, and it opens them up to far less liability on top of that.

And you seem jaded. If an employer treats me bad I don't leave a 2 week a quit right at a busy time. But if they do treat me well and I found a better opportunity then I do leave a 2 week or I will also leave a 2 week if I really like my co-workers.

You must be foreign to not understand blatant sarcasm.

>NEVER sign anything
I made this mistake when I got fired from my last job. Then to make it even worse they gave me an option of being fired or resigning voluntarily and I resigned. So I had 0 chance of being able to collect unemployment. Luckily it only took me 2 months to find another job.

It's expected you will quit when you've barely worked there. These jobs are shit and have high turn over rates, it's not news to your employers you're actively seeking something better as you should be.

It's up to you really, how bad do you want to get out of there?

Most importantly do you know for sure if you have the other job or did you just find it? Do you know that the new job won't be worse? You can't go wrong if you don't burn bridges I guess.

Dang

It's a min wage job though, not sure if all this is even necessary

The new job is STILL shit but it's a fair bit better and more comfortable

That's necrosis. Didn't you guys ever watch House, MD?

Put in your two weeks and get out. This will also allow you to make any arrangements you need in your new position

So mass layoffs due to economic circumstances without 2 weeks notice don't happen in your universe?

All you do is keep records of timesheets, and not throw away emails/calls.

The rest is literally doing nothing. The problem is that people don't understand that not only do they not have to do anything, they SHOULD not. They try to negotiate when they don't have to. Because they don't know what they are doing, they get fucked.

The vast majority of time, you get paid, and you wasted a few minutes of time. When it does help you, it saves you a few hundred, or maybe a few thousand dollars. If you are a minimum wage grunt, can you really afford not to protect yourself?

>if they wouldn't give you a "two week notice" before firing us, why should we give them a two week notice before quitting?
You're confusing your corporate overlords with your co-workers.
The latter group is the one who you are actually fucking.

So? Why do you owe them anything?

Pretty sure anyone who's worked any customer facing job for more than a couple of years has been fucked by their coworkers more than a few times anyways. Pass the buck along, and stop giving a shit. Being compassionate gets you stabbed in the back.

True

I mean I don't think theyd ever spare that courtesy anyways

bump

if you don't like your boss then just leave

if you like your boss then you should probably stay 2 weeks

I've had fucking unbearable supervisors before and they absolutely deserve all problems that come to them

What if they're nice but incompetent?

It's like talking to cops. It can only hurt you. Again, you shouldn't use them for a reference, so you simply should not care.

You cannot know how they are going to take it. Offering them advice, however valid, can give them a 'reason' to make things difficult for you. At best, it makes you stick out relative to all the other faceless fucks they forget about because you talked to them. Why would you ever want to put yourself in that position? If they are truly incompetent, it will bite them in the ass eventually, and you don't want to be the person they remember telling them they fucked up, because they might blame you specifically for it.

I would give them the 2 weeks

It's kind of a waste of time but it's good manners

OK, so I feel like I should explain things a bit further since people seem to be vaguely interested, and genuinely don't realize what their employers think of them.

I've worked in HR for over a decade. I mean this in the most impersonal non offensive way. You are a machine. We call it human RESOURCES for a reason. You are a piece of equipment that has a limited capacity for autonomous behavior, which is great. Unfortunately, you are expensive to run. A rolling press doesn't need health insurance, and doesn't exactly call in sick. It doesn't want vacations. It doesn't give a shit what it's hours are. Squishy bags of meat walking around on two legs do care, and are really fragile. HR for minimum wage has two primary jobs. To find workers, and most importantly, to protect the company from lawsuits.

cont....

We aren't there to protect you, the worker. We exist to keep the company from getting sued. If that means we have to get rid of a manager that's sexually assaulting people in the break room, we will get him to sign an NDA, liability wavers, etc, and bury him deeply and softly. If he ever speaks up, he's fucked, and he knows it. His victims? They're liabilities too. We'll get some senior executive to give them a meaningless oral apology, and offer to 'help them through this traumatic experience', so they feel good. Meanwhile there's no record of them having anything done to them, except a little earmark on their file using some internal code phrase that translates to 'shitlisted'. As soon as we can reasonably do so, we'll shuffle them around to different locations, and they'll wind up in trouble over some collection of small offenses over the course of a few months, get moved around again to make more mistakes, get put on a bullshit performance improvement plan based on these trumped up mistakes, and then eventually fired because they kept making tiny errors. By putting you on the PIP and having you sign it, we've got hard proof that you are a terrible worker, you've acknowledged that you are a terrible worker, any lawsuit will go out the window, and we don't have to pay unemployment when we fire you "for cause".

Ever wonder how that one absolute thundercunt of a regional manager stays with the company when his turnover rate is 8 times anyone else's? Because we send 'troublesome' employees to them, fully aware that he's going to find any excuse to bitch about them to compensate because he's a narcissist who's insecure about the size of his dick, the fact that his family hates him, and that his sixth wive divorced him a month ago. He's just a tool to us. He never does anything illegal. He's just a cunt. And that means he's useful because we can use him to dispose of you. He would cost us money in a perfect world, except that using him to get rid of you is cheaper than you suing us, so we keep him around, and just ignore the fact that 80% of employees working under him leave within 3 months, if they manage to make it past training. He's a continuous fixed cost piece of equipment, and accounting loves predictable costs. Even better, he's too stuck-up his own ass to realize this is all we value him for. Give him some bullshit flowery commentary about how we can't believe the shit he deals with, and he's happy, because we're praising him. Narcs love that shit.

>But you were a good worker and were assaulted.

Doesn't fucking matter. We got rid of your supervisor because he was a liability. The fact that you complained makes you more likely to cause trouble for us in the future. You aren't a human. You are a piece of equipment. A piece of equipment that might cost us money. Maybe you won't. Maybe you'll get an ego and give the other bees ideas. Maybe you'll have a mental break down. We don't know. We aren't going to take our chances when we can get a new piece of equipment trained in 2 days, and have thousands of applications sitting around for our computer to call/email.

You have to understand that you as a minimum wage worker have no essential skills that make you valuable. You aren't being paid minimum wage because we want to. We are doing it because we legally have to. Anything that makes you less than the ideal drone following instructions makes you dangerous, and dangerous has quantifiable costs. To put things into perspective, I got bonuses for burying people quietly in ways that could not get us in trouble. Get someone to sign something acknowledging a fuckup, real or imaginary, by carefully wording things and misleading them into believing they had to, or else they wouldn't get paid, or would get sued, or whatever. As long as I don't say anything illegal, and don't do anything to directly hurt you, I can get away with selectively presenting information to you with the specific intention of misleading you. I don't have to tell you the whole truth. In fact I have cash incentive NOT to. The company would much rather pay me a few percent of the average cost of dealing with you than pay to deal with you. It's a sound business idea, because remember, you are a piece of equipment, and more specifically, an easily replaceable piece of equipment.

The paradigm shifts when you get into actual skilled jobs. Highly skilled professionals are valuable assets. When dealing with highly paid individuals, there's a third thing we do on top of getting employees, and lawsuit avoidance. Retention. It's frequently in the companies interest to keep skilled employees. They aren't easy to replace. We still can, and will, bury you if we catch even a whiff of trouble, but we are a lot more careful to protect you up front. You get access to contracts without binding arbitration clauses. Sure, we'll give you one with the clause, but you can actually negotiate that off the contract. Your salary is potentially negotiable. Your managers don't get to shit on you nearly as hard. We want you to at least feel important, because even if we can find dozens of replacements, job training can't be done in two days, and most of them cant just walk out of a job and start with us on top of that.

>TL;DR never be naieve enough to believe that HR has your interests in mind. We don't. If you ever want to be treated well, you need to have nearly irreplaceable skills and assets.

Bonus trigger words that will scare the shit out of HR people, if you have evidence on your side. Sometimes we'll just cut you a check if you promise not to sue us, and you bet your ass we are going to try to convince you it's a sweet deal. Check with a lawyer if you ever get a settlement offer. If they insist that the offer is only valid while you are there, it's a shitty offer and don't take it.

>constructive dismissal
>hostile work environment
>EPA
>IRS
>OSHA

Depending on the context, any of these can cause us to shit our pants.

If I work in a department populated by my superior who is friends and family with everyone in my department but me, could that be considered a hostile work environment?

TLDR be a good worker, and understand that is all you are

its funny cause a lot of people would probably get offended at this.

Not by itself. That could be good old fashioned nepotism/cronyism. There's nothing illegal about that, but it does tend to lead to stupid actions because nepotism leads to incompetence.

Hostile work environment is systemic abuse, or attempts to cover up systemic abuse. Think of it as a more severe case of what I mentioned above with shuffling someone around. If it could be proven that every employee who filed a complaint wound up working for that cunt of a manager, you'd maybe have a case, but it's tenuous at best. If we just ignored that manager sexually abusing people, and told you you had to deal with it, first of all we'd be fucking retarded, but besides that you'd have a solid case.

This is why competent HR personnel take time to stick the knife in and twist it. Rushing things means people remember things happening, and think of causality. Nobody looks at it funny if we move someone to a different shift with the cunt boss 2-3 months after . He's a black hole for employees anyways, so after a few 'random' drawings, we moved the employee we don't want there, and then that employee is gone after we generate a paper trail. There's nothing shady about that by itself, and on the rare occasion someone does get a lawyer to contact us, we just send them a phonebook of proof. Most lawyers realize it's unwinnable, and we never hear from them again. It's very difficult/impossible to prove hostile work environments/retaliation if we do our job right, even if it's true.

You can certainly imply hostile work environments, IE, when the PIP comes around, ask them why they are being so hostile, and generally try to flip the mind game back onto us. Most people are fucking stupid though, and end up threatening us with extortion. Don't overplay your hand. Extortion is a free ride out of a facility in the hands of security.

We actually want people to be offended by the very notion. The more trusting they are of us, the easier it is to silently dispose of them.

would you say its only this way with big corps/ companies w/ large groups of min wage workers.

just recite the navy seals copypasta to your boss and he should get the message

The smaller companies I have worked for more recently are a lot less vicious, but they were dealing with people who had qualifications, and we have to actually offer incentives as a result. I actually like doing this more because it's far less bureaucracy, and the people you are working with are generally smart enough to realize what the relationship is.

I don't really have any experience with mom and pop type minimum wage operations. I worked for a major distributor for nearly a decade. Mostly warehouse work. Companies like walmart, amazon, and target almost certainly do the exact same things I did there. Really small companies can't afford the overhead of hiring a big team of bureaucrats. Big companies just treat us like an insurance cost. It's something they aren't happy about, but they'd rather pay us than pay for monumental fuckups on the part of other employees. You don't have to be a very large company for a few hundred thousand a year on legal/hr to be worth it. Even with 25 employees it's worth having a legal firm on retainer, and to contract to a separate HR firm.

Know your place in the cogs of the machine.

cont...

Ironically, what lead me to leaving was exactly that type of penny pinching. New manager came in and wanted to gut HR to save costs. Because I was by far the most productive person in HR, I was raking in bonuses for killing things quietly, and was just too expensive. Some months I doubled my pay because of them, so I was already on her personal shitlist, but was untouchable for a while while I was looking.

Besides restructuring bonuses, which put me in a position where I legitimately had no incentive to do 2/3rds of the work I was doing, she wanted us to start doing things more aggressively, which could result in lawsuits, and a bunch of other shady shit. Like, think registered sex offenders working with children levels of shady. She spelled out exactly what her plan was in a meeting, and one our lawyers flat out said "This is an enormous liability that I could get disbarred for greenlighting" She said she didn't care, and to do it anyways. He responded with "This activates such and such kicker clause in my contract. Consider this my immediate resignation. I will be sending copies to all relevant management via certified mail this evening. Failure to receive my contractually stated severance package will result in such and such penalties and all relevant court costs under such and such subsection of blah blah" and then walked out.

I was thinking the same thing as the lawyer, but I didn't have the contractual protection, nor the balls, to pull a stunt like that. Even with a few notarized hard copies of golden letters of recommendation from management I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that. Instead, I just thought about it, finished up my day, closed everything out, and left a time delayed email for around 2 AM saying I quit, and could be reached at such and such address if they needed information.

Fuck em. I'd rather be unemployed for a few months, even without unemployment, than work in a spot where I'm the designated fall guy for a psychotic.

>never confirm or deny anything past employment dates
so this is what references in essence are?
any jobs where this isn't the case they actually talk about the employee?

fascinating
any books you'd recommend to understand the game and how to play it?

>"This activates such and such kicker clause in my contract. Consider this my immediate resignation. I will be sending copies to all relevant management via certified mail this evening. Failure to receive my contractually stated severance package will result in such and such penalties and all relevant court costs under such and such subsection of blah blah" and then walked out.
Living the dream.

How long do I have to work at a place before I can use it as a reference

Lots of companies will tell people more information than that. They are the companies that haven't been sued for it yet. That or they are in a small industry where everyone knows everyone, so the reference checks are just formalities so people can claim due diligence.

Can't really recommend any books. A lot of it is applied psychology. Understanding sociopaths can save your ass in a corporate environment. It's also scary easy to condition people into certain behaviors.

Most people will never have that level of protection in their lives. Most people also won't bring anything worth that level of protection to the table. I was senior HR, and that guy was someone who I literally only talked to a couple of times. He worked directly under the board of directors, and didn't answer to anyone. Nobody at that table could have touched him, and he knew it.

They wanted him to put himself at risk. He didn't think the pay was good enough, or offered enough plausible deniability, to warrant such a risk. It's the same reason I quit, he just didn't need to fear retaliation. I'd put serious money on him contacting several regulatory agencies about what he was being told to do. It's what I would have done in that position.

One of my referenced has deceased, what does this mean for me? I have nobody that can fill his place

Put it down anyways with a note indicating deceased. Probably put the note in the telephone area, but fill out the rest of the form reasonably. If you have proof of employment during that time, most places won't give a shit. Most places wont really give too much of a shit regardless.

If it's online, see if it accepts Jenny's number. Outsourced people in India don't realize that it's made up and won't care.

>>constructive dismissal
>>hostile work environment
>>EPA
>>IRS
>>OSHA

Care to expand on this? Been a great read, while not entirely surprising, nice to see the inner workings of scummy HR talked about.

Essentially, wouldn't mind having some ammunition to sling at my employers in the future just in case.

You need stuff to back these up, but these are all trigger words that will send us into full panic mode. Just wildly throwing out terms makes you look like an idiot. We'll pretend to be scared, and offer you some joke of a settlement, and get you out the door with your signature that you give up all rights to sue us. You're stupid enough to think you got out ahead, we save money.

However, each of these has specific situations where we have fucked up, and are hoping to god that you don't know any better.

>constructive dismissal
Imagine you work 30 hours a week. Suddenly you are asked to do something flagrantly illegal. You refuse, or report it. Whether or not we fix that issue is irrelevant here. We retaliate by cutting your hours down to 20, then 15, then 10, then 3 2 hour shifts a week. We've fired you without 'firing' you. This is known as constructive dismissal, and the DOL has a SERIOUS fucking hate boner for any company dumb enough to try this. Like, you will get unemployment benefits at your previous rate of pay, and will get paid for all missing hours going back months, and apparently in some states you can get triple damages plus interest (don't quote me on that). I've seen one of these get backdated nearly a year. Wound up paying like 80,000 after everything was said and done, and all this guy had to do was keep all his paystubs and send copies of his initial complaint about not having proper safety gear to the DOL. Someone went to fucking jail over this cock up. When it slid onto my desk I just sighed, paged legal, walked over, passed the suit the folder and said, we're so fucked. He read it, and wordlessly started doing the internal paperwork to handle large expenses for legal stuff. Minimum wage worker got an 80,000 dollar payout because some retard told him he had to scrape up period blood without gloves, then fucked with his hours, and blocked information getting to HR.

>>constructive dismissal

Supposing your hours got cut like that because management didn't like you or you pissed them off over something personal? I would assume there wouldn't be anything could be done about that, is that the case though?

constructive dismissal has a very narrow context, but this is incredibly powerful in those cases. You can just call the DOL and ask if they think you qualify. They are actually extremely helpful.

>hostile work environment
hard to prove, but basically what I said before. If we refuse to rectify a situation, and you can prove it, we can get the shaft. Depending on where you are, there's multiple different government agencies that might get involved, and in some cases you are given a private cause of action (meaning you can sue) as well. Extremely context dependent, but it's usually you being forced to do something illegal after telling management, then HR, that you cannot do that. Retaliation can sometimes fit into this, IE if we fire you, or punish you, because you complained. Proving that can be really hard though.

To protect yourself in cubical farms, always email your boss something along the lines of, RE: our conversation about duties earlier, list what they said, and politely ask for confirmation. Blind carbon copy your personal email outside the company. In one party consent states, consider recording your boss. You can't really sue for this if HR gets wind of it and immediately fixes the problem. That's our job. Well, not exactly. Our job is to prevent financial damage to the company. That means fixing the problem in this case.

>EPA/IRS/OSHA
Regulatory agencies, and the taxman. They all have teeth. Usually a minimum wage grunt isn't going to deal with the IRS. If you ever are asked to dump strange chemicals in the woods, pour motor oil down drains, or told to ignore safety procedures, EPA/OSHA are your friends. Both allow some degree of anonymous tips, and OSHA in particular can bring a factory to it's knees while they do a full inspection. Regulations vary depending on your industry and job duties, but both have people you can talk to for help, and extensive manuals.

>but it's usually you being forced to do something illegal

The unusual?

>Retaliation can sometimes fit into this, IE if we fire you, or punish you, because you complained.

Does it necessarily have to do with complaining about being asked to do something illegal?

Fines can be well into the millions for flagrantly violating things. I've done contracting for a company that did HR work for a bunch of small chains. One was a franchised jiffy lube type place. Manager/owner at one location was just dumping oil, coolant, and everything else down the storm drains. EPA got involved, he went bankrupt overnight, then went to jail because it wasn't the first time he did that.

If you ever contact a government agency, don't threaten to do it. Just do it, and brace for retaliation.

Lastly, there's the taxman. never, ever, EVER, fuck with the IRS. They can, and will fucking destroy you in the most absolute and non consensual manner you could possibly imagine. You are better off being on FBI/CIA hitlists than being wanted by the IRS. If you know your employer is cheating on taxes, RUN THE FUCK AWAY. If it's a big cheat, the IRS has a reward program for tipping them off, so you can even collect a sizable payout, just seriously, if you actually care about yourself, get the fuck out.

It's difficult to mention reporting to the IRS without it coming across as extortion, but if you mention that you've reported activities that you know happened, and know beyond a shadow of a doubt are illegal, it might scare someone enough to get legal to settle with you.

anyone?

So long as they are willing to be a reference for you it doesn't matter.

This would not be constructive dismissal. At will employment cuts both ways. Your boss can fire you because he wants you to tie your shoes a certain way, and hop on one foot while not stepping on the black floor tiles every time you clock in.

Constructive Dismissal is special protection against retaliation for them doing something 'wrong'. There's nothing legally wrong with being an asshole.

The unusual is things like being the victim of assaults, sexual harassment, racial profiling, and such. They happen, but its far more often that some manager just wants you to suck it up and do something dangerous. Things like improper/missing safety gear, forklift safety, etc. Maybe depends on the industry. I never noticed much in the way of sexual assaults or racism, but 95% of the employees were males in their 20s. Not much room for that to happen there.

>Does it necessarily have to do with complaining about being asked to do something illegal?
That's getting into murky waters. If you complain about a boss being a shithead, we probably don't care. If a lot of people complain, we might care. If the boss starts making vague threats about firing people for no reason, and we have proof, we'll care sooner.

Most things that aren't illegal are things that we barely care about, if we care at all. It's not illegal to be an asshole. It's just not professional. If the boss gets the numbers in though, we don't care how he does it, as long as it doesn't generate liability. If he's a sweetheart, good for him. If half the people he oversees wouldn't piss on him if he burst into flames, well that's his problem to deal with. As long as he doesn't inconvenience whatever is going on while he's on fire there isn't a problem as far as we are concerned.

Going to sleep for a bit. I'll answer more shit when I get to it tomorrow.

Solid stuff man, appreciate it.

1 week working at a place is unfortunately to brief then

Amazing stuff user

i quit walmart and never told them before, i just didn't go back. I feel REALLY REALLY bad about doing that because they were having problems was it was. Please just call them and say something, two weeks notice preferable.

i'm on foodstamps now after quitting my job. Is it possible to get another job and stay on foodstamps? I'm getting more food now than i ever did when i was actually working lol

How do I get a job in HR.

What's the best way to get that be an asshole to make people quit job.

I work as a shit kicker (but actually get paid well) at one of the big Pharmaceutical companies and I can confirm everything that man is saying in regards to HR and how they operate.

Our HR department in particular is fucking ruthless, but very meticulous and calculated in their operation.

I work with a lot of old bitches and they love to complain and just be general cunts. Many of them had been working for the company 10 years plus and were light duties, some on work cover ect ect. A lot spoke their mind, constantly complaining to managers about things they weren't happy with and generally just being a pain in the ass from a business perspective.

A lot thought because they were on light duties, or work cover that they were untoucable and could sit on their as all day getting the easy jobs due to their bullshit ailments and injuries.

>mfw came to work last week and all of them gone

Just like that.

It pays to keep your head down, do your job and realize you're just a fucking number, nothing more and everything less. No one is untouchable, you are a number.

When you awake I have questions.

My first question is as follows. I work in post-secondary education (think college, university, institute etc.) It is public and not private. I now work in a salaried job. Previously I worked an hourly part-time job and was promoted to a higher paying hourly part-time job. We (the hourlies) were limited to 19 hours. If we were to work over 19 hours, we would get an automated message from HR stating that we worked over 19 hours without departmental-managerial approval and that we could not be paid. Fast forward, I have in writing in an email from my manager at the time something akin to the following: Team--put overage (hours worked over 19) on the week of intersession when we do not work. Fast forward, I do as he says. He later contacts me via email and then via phone. We speak in person. He says that HR rejected some of the hours because I had accepted the salaried position the day that I listed them on. Do I have any recourse in being remunerated for those lost hours? Or am I boned? I talked to my new and current supervisor and he recommended I talk to payroll or HR about it. Glad I didn't. What should I do?

Also, the head honcho of my department has many complaints to HR.

(I am trying to couch my language in vagaries, well the shit that does not matter so much. What I think doesn't matter much. If you need any clarification or have further questions, please ask.)

Anyway, sorry. She, the director, has a lot of baggage with HR. She apparently approached one of my female coworkers and said the following: Don't think of me as your boss. [...] Would you be possible/able/willing to go to a dance with my son? This girl has a family member who works in HR. The girl tells the person in HR. The person in HR is livid and says 'I could dismiss her immediately for that.' Anyway, the girl swore to me secrecy. That being said, is there anything I could do with that?

Also nice trips.

[continued]

Also, she begged the family member in HR not to do anything. She also begged me and I am technically a junior member of management now. Am I liable for being silent and doing nothing? I really dislike my management and I think I hate to cute off my nose to spite my face because they've been mostly good to me, but I would like my money and I would like to see this people disciplined if possible and I would like to be untouched. If I can only get two-out-of-three, great. Advise please.

I have an extensive work history. I am not sure what to do with all these jobs. In short, should I list all of them, even the ones I quit without two weeks notice? Even if I got fired? Committed job abandonment? Even if it was temporary? Even if I am blacklisted? Even if I worked there for like a month?

I have other questions, but if you can answer these...I would be very, very appreciative.

Thanks a lot.

Never worked with foodstamps. No idea honestly. Our employees would never qualify for food stamps because they'd work too many hours, and the positions I'm in now deal with 50,000+ salaried positions who obviously don't qualify. I thought they were tiered based on your income, so if you got a little money, you lost some stamps, but not all. I may be wrong.

I have no clue how I wound up here. I graduated with comp sci degree, and a minor in philosophy. One day I got tasked with handling a bunch of resumes. Somehow it just evolved from there. Took some courses in general management, and psychology because I liked it. Saw an opening with good benefits, and the compensation package at the one company, applied, and spent a year refining my skills.

You don't get into HR by being an asshole. Well you don't get far. You get far by being able to filter paperwork extremely fast, and by saving money. Just being a prick is going to get you hated in office politics, and will make you bad at getting people to do stuff that saves the company money. You don't have to be loved, but being hated makes your job unnecessarily difficult. If you just want to be a cunt, I don't know what to tell you. You have to have some useful qualities either in spite of, or because of, you being a cunt.

on paper i care for a disabled person and i'm unemployed, it is never set to expire. Will they know if i get a job if i don't inform them myself? Can i just get a job and keep collecting?

Three lying mismanaged employers in a row will do that. An aimless employer or one protecting diverse employees will fire you without cause. Once the workplace is established as one of those, I immediately start formulating an exit plan. I just didn't get out in time last time.

>(I am trying to couch my language in vagaries, well the shit that does not matter so much. What I think doesn't matter much. If you need any clarification or have further questions, please ask.)

No worries. I get the gist of it. So here's the truth of the matter.

You are owed for any hours you work, approved or otherwise. That's the good. Now the bad. If you complain, I positively fucking guarantee you that you will be shitlisted. As a teacher, this depends on your unions. Teachers have some of the most powerful unions on earth, but a lot of schools, especially colleges, are trying to filter away from tenured professors with union support.

Chances are, if you want to keep your job long term, forget about a handful of hours. It's wrong, but they will trump up reasons to fire you, if for no other reason than to save face. If that happens, and you have serious hard proof of the retaliation, you will have a case to sue them. Even if you win though, it might be career altering/ruining. Academia is a world you could not pay me enough to touch.

If your boss can give you a signed hardcopy of a complaint that you can send to HR/payroll via CERTIFIED mail, you can establish a paper trail. Based on the information provided, the only way I would make a big stink about a few hundred dollars is if my boss was willing to put their neck on the line for me. Honestly take it over to r/legaladvice and ask how to phrase things in your complaint.

I am not a teacher...actually just a staff member, so think administrative/operational, professional-technical. Someone who works at a college or university other than a professor of any flavor.

My brother's an attorney for what it is worth. He said to let it die. I will let it die.

Also, what of the sexual harassment thing? I should probably just keep my mouth shut...

also thanks a lot btw! May I ask a couple of more questions...is that cool? They aren't long questions or if they are, I think they have a definitive yes/no answer.

>Anyway, sorry. She, the director, has a lot of baggage with HR. She apparently approached one of my female coworkers and said the following: Don't think of me as your boss. [...] Would you be possible/able/willing to go to a dance with my son? This girl has a family member who works in HR. The girl tells the person in HR. The person in HR is livid and says 'I could dismiss her immediately for that.' Anyway, the girl swore to me secrecy. That being said, is there anything I could do with that?

In Academia, you may be a mandatory reporter for some things. I wouldn't know. Holy fuck though. I would start looking for another place to work yesterday. This place sounds absolutely fucked, and it's only a matter of time before you trip up, and someone throws all the dirt floating around the office onto your plate and gets you fired for it.

If you haven't already, start keeping a massive log of all of these incidents, with as much detail as you can manage. Include what you have proof of, the proof, and your speculations and preliminary conclusions. DO NOT USE THEM TO BLACKMAIL. Your reporting of incidents must be completely independent of whatever else you do. If you do decide to report it, send copies via email, and include a comment about how you are sending this via certified mail, as well as BCCing the email to an outside personal email. Certified mail is your friend. It's a paper trail that nobody can argue about.

They may get benefits, and you as the caregiver may be able to do with them as you see fit, barring obvious abuse.

This really isn't my area of expertise, but I think you can.

This is really common. It wasn't at my company, but one of their direct competitors fired 700 people overnight because of talks of unionization. Lot of them ended up coming to work for us.

Easiest interviews of my life. Pretend to vaguely be interested in unionization, and let them puff up their chests and be proud of the fact that they 'stuck it to the man'. Then just pitch their stuff into the trash, and never contact them. Those that didn't want unionization to begin with fucking hated them because they just lost their job. Easy hires, and you've got a bunch of people that will rat on ANY whisper about, let alone attempts to, form a union after getting fucked last time.

Sucks to loose good employees, but when you have this herd mentality, it's often easier, and cheaper, to just tie the whole department off and start all over.

Feel free to ask more questions. I'm in and out of the house today running tons of errands.

yes i can have them under the conditions that i am unemployed and care for a disabled person. Being unemployed i would not qualify as i have already had them in the past etc reasons. Caring for a disabled person extends that indefinitely as long as i am still unemployed but none of this was my question. I asked if they would know if i got a job and if i could retain the food stamps.

Not sure. Benefit fraud is something that the government does not like. Might get nailed for tax evasion too.

Really not a topic I'm comfortable making specific statements about. I simply don't know.

>Holy fuck though. I would start looking for another place to work yesterday.

Sounds good to me. I'm tired of working here anyway. It's just absurd.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. It's good to know that my ignoring my instincts and gut haven't been the world's best idea, but I can rectify the situation.

I have probably five or more years of work experience that I think is unlistable as referenced near the end of this post mostly wage slave shit that I worked in high school and college but still its useful experience that adds up to years worked and could help get a pay bump or a better job or so I hope.

Some thing are older than 10 yrs. so I didn't list them.

>grocery store deli clerk (3ish months, summer gig, two weeks notice)
> warehouse clerk (3ish months, temp, job abandonment, blacklisted)
>financial aid assistant (6 months, laid off, supervisor gave me a bad ref. my dad who's attorney said I could've disputed, but former supervisor is gone now)
>student office assistant (10 months, laid off)
>produce clerk (6 months, left job due to hospitalization)
>pharmacy tech (7 months, gave notice)
>library page (6 months, great ref., he died though)
>gas station clerk (6 months, quit with zero notice)
>pharmacy tech (one month, same INC. as deli and former pharm tech job, commit job abandonment, potentially blacklisted)
>call center at credit union (4ish months quit abruptly w/o notice due to health)
>two temp assignments with office team they like me
>hourly asst. (7ish months, promoted)
>team lead (3ish months, promoted)
>supervisor (2 months, present day)

There's probably more, but I can't remember it all lol. Are there services I can use to help get an edge? My friend swears by HR folks for hire like resume writing services, and people who will check your references for a fee.

My advice, and this goes to everyone, is to have a couple different general purpose resumes. Have the full deal with everything that you can possibly think of, and have the lean one for applications. Government jobs often want everything within the past 10 years for your fat resume. Most other places want the lean one, at least until interviews.

Make your lean one a bit over a page long, and format it in such a way that you can trim it down to a page very easily. Just cut out irrelevant things to your current application. Easiest way to fine tune things is to just cut them out. This saves you tons of time, and you don't have to worry about remembering stupid shit all the time, since it's already there.

Additionally, keep resumes ready to go in word docx, doc, pdfs, and plain text. Plain text formats are a godsend. Keep the character width to something narrow, like 25-30, manually using enter to force wrapping. For online applications, or anything involving email, this makes you look like a fucking genius. I'll be completely honest here, if I'm going through a stack of 500+ online applications, 3 of them are neatly formatted in plain text, and I have to pick 5, guess which 3 are guaranteed to survive round 1. Maybe you get the job, maybe you don't. It's a better shot than getting pitched because your text looks like cancer.

For your case, typically list the list the last 3-5, and maybe a few other ones if they are particularly relevant. Employers used to care about people hopping jobs, but millennials are more restless than baby boomers on coke, so hopping jobs doesn't mean anything anymore. Being at a place more than a year is a good sign these days. Show them that you haven't been long term unemployed, or have very good reasons for being so, and they typically won't care.

Thanks for the thorough, informed and well-reasoned response.

Sounds good to me.

You're not a career counselor, obviously, but I have one last question...for now lol.

I suffer from a chronic illness that is mental health related that has caused me trouble in the past. I'm basically your typical millennial. I loathe customer service, albeit it's super abundant. I majored in something I will not use for a career--English--as I no longer want to teach k-12, and graduate school in the humanities has about as much enticement attached to it as getting my penis and testicles smashed with a hammer. Just look at the state of the university system today and disappearing tenure. I was most recently in grad school for philosophy but I couldn't stomach it.

I'm vacillating between actuarial science (I'm actually decent at math and I have all the right stuff except for lots of time which I'll need for al lthe fucking exams), computer programming/science/coding/developing/et al., and/or freelance work in translation (considering grad school for translation Iowa, Arkansas, Kent State, etc.)

You're a CS guy or were. Are those programming bootcamps bullshit ala iron yard, app academy, launch academy, hack reactor, etc.? I have three friends who work in teh biz. The Full Stack Developer said teach yourself. The Solutions Analyst said go to a coding bootcamp and become a web developer. The Software Engineer said it was all bull shit and that I needed a BS in CS if I want a job and that certs and portfolios mean much less than a solid degree.

What are your thoughts? I'm like Goldie Locks and I've been presented three ideas about CS.

I'm thinking freelance work might be possibility doing a number of things technical documentation, cs stuff, translation, etc. Freelancing's viable option right?

I graduated from college and everything I wanted to do I couldn't do /I just changed too much to want to do it anymore.

pro tip, suck up to IT. Even if it's just saying good morning and giving them a smile. Most of them are somewhat anti social, but if anyone can help you, it's IT. Nobody understands what they do, and they know it, so they have zero problems playing favorites. I've had access I should not have had at so many companies because I went out of my way to protect IT from penny pinching senior management. Let me know months in advance of mergers, and gave me clairvoyance on office politics. Seriously. If you are going to suck a dick, suck IT's.

I still do IT stuff, and maintain several different cisco and microsoft certs, along with some linux crap. I haven't seriously written enterprise code in years, but I can read it. That's why I'm in my current position. I can act as a translator between the software developers, database guys, and pointy haired management. Neither side operates on the same plane of reality, so you have to convey stuff back and forth like you are speaking to children, without sounding patronizing.

It really comes down to what you want to do. CS is such a ludicrously wide field that it's hard to give an answer. Saying, OH, I'm in CS is like saying I'm in humanities. You could be a writer, philosopher, musician, painter, or whatever. The variation is enormous. Big fields that you cannot hire fast enough are medical, and financial. There's everything in those fields from working with 70s era cobol monstrosities to bleeding edge microsecond stock trading. There's always a demand for physical presence for hardware maintenance, and small companies all over need a sysadmin to manage their shitty exchange server that hasn't been patched since the clinton administration.

You have a degree. If you know a bit about programming/hardware, go to a CC, get an associates in comp sci. Then work on certifications in whatever you want to specialize in. A degree, doesn't really matter what, is often good enough, provided that you have certifications. The associates will let you figure out what you want to specialize in. The certs matter. Degrees are often expensive pieces of low grade toilet paper. Maybe get a fancier degree later for government jobs.

Most comp sci graduates cannot code for shit. If you get past the initial stages and get an interview at my company, you'll have to submit pseudocode snippets to solve certain problems. Frankly, I couldn't give less of a shit if you have a degree at that point. If you can code, you're worth looking at. Even if you have no experience with the language we are using, programing is about abstracting things to a level that you can pick up new languages in weeks. So you have to keep a reference manual on your desk. Everyone does, even the people with degrees. Nobody gives a shit if you have to look stuff up. Half the job is pretending you know what you do while learning it on site. It's the age of smartphones, get eboks, and flick through that shit on the job.

Not all companies are like that, and I've gotten shit from management for hiring like this in the past. Fuck them. People I hire are at least 30% more productive than anyone else, and nobody else has come close to the average productivity of my hires in years. Programming/database/IT is a mindset above anything else. Break things down into manageable problems, and tackle each one in turn. It's like being a handyman, just for a weirdly specific piece of eccentric equipment that is magic to most people. If you understand that, you can do anything.

Thanks again! Sorry, I got busy with nonsense.

I worked the night stocking crew at a grocery store for a year. 11pm-7am for 48 hours a week. Hated my entire life, got depressed, lost friends, pushed family away, etc.

Finally, I put in my two weeks. My boss moved me back to daytimes with a promotion.

You win either way m8

Hand in your notice like a big boy. Don't burn bridges; you may want to go back there.

Ah, american labour laws.
> Week notice before being fired
> Have to give four weeks notice when leaving
Feels good being british.

Still give your 2 week notice.

Try to get some of your co-workers to take the last shifts of yours. Maybe even talk to your manager about getting rid of your hours and giving them to other people.

Store manager at my store, we have access to information about all the places you have worked before that gave you paychecks so I get to call the companies you worked for before.

I have gotten quite a few calls from people at other companies asking me what I thought about their current applicants who used to work for me.

I always said nice things about them since I didn't want to fuck up their opportunities... Unless you fucked me over and quit without putting in a 2 week notice.

I'm in Australia,

But all this.
For a fucking casual or part-time job.
>if you can get one

I'd rather be semi-NEET and self employed then go through this cuckery again.