Change of pace

2 months ago I quit my wageslave job at a help desk. I saved 6 month's salary, resigned, and took up a part-time job until I can find something full-time that I enjoy.

I have 20K in my 401K, over 300ozt silver, and a few assets I could liquidate worth about $500 each. I want to start a produce, tree, and chicken farm in the mid-west US. I figure I can put 10-15K down on the land, use ~2K to buy a used mobile-home, and live off the remaining 3-8K until I get myself established, while using the cash from liquidating assets to buy the seeds, tools, and livestock. I also plan on getting a part time job to get some income and help offset some costs.

Does this sound do-able?

Other urls found in this thread:

tonsplace.wordpress.com/2014/10/21/city-boys-dont-measure-up/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only if you can live on 2-8k for a year while you get your farm to be even remotely productive.

If not you are going to be pretty hungry.

Also, farmland isn't as cheap as it used to be.

lurking

>Also, farmland isn't as cheap as it used to be.
Still cheaper than city land, or suburbia.

So it looks like I'm going to need to bring a few siblings with me to help earn an income while we get the farm settled. Then again, that'll be extra mouths to feed.

How would you do it? Just save more before the big leap?

How are you going to buy land with no job/ income? Who will loan you money? How will you make payments? How do you expect to find a liveable trailer and have it delivered for 2k? How do you plan to house and feed chickens with virtually no money or knowledge, and legally sell them for a profit? Do you know trees take years to grow and require care, and then tools and labor to dig up so they can be sold? Selling a couple assets for $500 could get you a used lawnmower, how about the hubdreds of other tools you'll need? How about when tax tome comes and you have to pay a $2000 penalty for early withdrawal of your 401k? Where will that money come from? And then you'll owe property taxes, which if aren't paid immediately, your property will be seized, forfeited and auctioned off.

Apart from these small issues it sounds like a solid plan.

>tfw too poor to be poor farmer

>Apart from these small issues it sounds like a solid plan.
Thanks for the faith, user.

Like i said, I'd get a job and/or bring some siblings with me to help make end's meet until the farm is settled and productive.

>hubdreds
that's fun to say

just out of curiousity, why are you doing all this? I used to have a dream of owning a bunch of land and a small farm for myself out in the country but the isolation would kill me i think

It's true though. Most farms in the USA are owned by large corporations, who just hire people to farm it. Most family-owned farms were either passed down from great-great grandpa and they've been selling off land over the years to stay afloat, or they are hobby farms run by people with other sources of income, and they farm for fun.

You don't have enough cash to survive a bad year.

Get another job save up enough to get you afloat for 5 years or so. In the mean time study something related to agrobusiness, get to know potential customers for your products and get some hands on experience with farming.

Don't go thinking farming is easy city boy, it is lots of hard work for very little profit margin and a very real chance of losing everything in a bad year. Jumping into it without good planning and a decent safety net will land you into white trash poverty real quick.

Ideally you shouldn't try to get into this business until you are minimally educated about what you will be doing. Being financially independent so that you're outcome independent of your harvest would be better. Getting some sweet subsidy would be ideal.

>Don't go thinking farming is easy city boy
>city boy
I will take your sage advice, but fuck you for thinking you're better than me. I know what hard work is, and I know I can do it.

I hope you're right. Time will tell, city boy.

tonsplace.wordpress.com/2014/10/21/city-boys-dont-measure-up/

Nice blog, country yokel.

Although OP may be misguided, the idea he's throwing out is interesting to me. How much startup money do you really need in order to do this?

I see some decent sized farm plots with buildings on them already, for around 100-150K around here, but that's in northern MN so I don't know how difficult that will be with the winters.

Or how about a different idea. Let's say I just want to get out of the city and into that decaying small-town life. What can I do for work out there? The houses are amazingly cheap in the middle of nowhere, and I just want to get away from Minneapolis but I'm doing IT here and that's where my skills lie. Is the best bet some kind of online work? I wouldn't mind manual labor though, in fact I'd prefer it. Just don't know where to start thinking about it.

You have to convince a bank to get loans to buy land. Enjoy your high risk loan rate poor fag. The bank will bankrupt you if shitty weather and bad crops. This is how you make holes in your resume and lose money. great plan shitlord

Only if you're not married.

These are long term goals, but you have a vision.

Either do an internship, or work other peoples' land. Do the google on Luke Callahan and someone else I can't remember - dude just asked neighbors if he could setup a garden in their backyard and share the profits.

He took his half to the farmers market and was raking in the money. Couple that with lawn care or a delivery service and you'll be Donald Fucking Trump in no time.

kek riddled with grammatical errors no less. derned city foke and thur fancy internuts!

Green City Acres, Curtis Stone (not the faggy Brit)
>Farming under a half acre of land spread over multiple plots in the downtown core, they sell vegetables to some of the cities best restaurants, wineries, and a weekly farmers market.

Chickens are a hawt fashion statement. Could setup a coop and charge 'upkeep' while tending their garden.

Living a shitty uneducated life just so you can condescend to city folk who don't know how to feather a chicken or any other task they can hire some peasant to do.

I think you can get cheap loans and grant money for that too

Slightly related to this thread, does anyone can give me guide about this Australia program? I heard they were paying people to go and live in some of the most isolated areas of their country and be farmers.

I don't know how much truth is, but I would like to know if there's any truth behind it.

Apart from your finances, which seem to be calculated rather tightly, do you have any agricultural work experience?

I mean, anything further than camping? If not, you are most likely to fail. If you're learning by doing while spending money you don't have, you end up taking up a retail job again.

Overall, this looks like a terrible idea.

>Does this sound do-able?

Hell no.

You have no economy of scale working for you here. There is a reason chicken farms are all massive indoor operations, and farms are hundreds if not thousands of acres. You will not be able to produce at anything near market value so I hope you are planning on living somewhere with access to a market where people will pay a premium for local organic shit.

the government subsidizes large farms which makes it impossible for new farms. do something else.