"Fix" bad degrees

ITT: We help each other make something good out of our shitty degree choices.

An example: I got a degree in business administration, with a heavy focus on accounting. It sucks. No jobs. I'll complement it by taking a one year master in international tax law from a prestigious university (I've checked and my grades are good anough to get in).

Post your own poor decisions, and great solutions. We will make yuuge progress and make ourselves great again.

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/101014/basics-algorithmic-trading-concepts-and-examples.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I sold my Psych degree as one in stats and research design, and my sister did the same with a sociology degree. It works with any degree in the soft sciences as long as you can back it up in the interview.

How does that work? Are there a lot of statistics in those kinds of subjects?

I got a degree in German & Italian in the UK. I'm probably going to get a 2.2 (2.5-3.0 GPA)

There's no redeeming factor

It's all ogre for me famalam

I've been thinking of just trying meme advice like getting Accounting qualifications or learning to code

Can you speak those languages? If not, learn to! There is market value in languages. Then become a teacher.

Apply in banking business centers, requires little education, just training they provide. It's a good job with benefits and if you do studies on the side you can get transferred to a branch for better paying jobs.

My German is fairly solid but needs some minor improvement

My Italian is basically conversational

I really don't wanna teach

I know I made a really silly choice like but yeah - teaching would kill my autistic soul

To do what like customer service type stuff?

I have a degree in math but no experience. Help me get money.

Wait, you mean you can actually hold conversations in german and italian? Holy shit, senpai, I thought you just had the degree, I didn't know it actually meant something.
You're golden! You have hard marketable skills. Off and make money, my boy!

Go into baking. Career your way into investment banking and become a quant. Sniff cocaine and replicate everything from "The big short". Retire at fourty with a hot wife and a new york apartment.

My German is pretty strong but it's really colloquial (lived for a year with stoners in Germany during my degree)

I'd have to relearn half of it to cope in a formal/business setting haha

My Italian I could have basic conversations in but definitely not work with

What in just like try to be an interpreter? That has always seemed like a really shitty job to me desu (and my language skills would need to be PERFECT not just pretty good)

>tfw i'm doing forensic science so i'm at least in good tier
feels ok

I can speak fairly fluent Serbo-Croatian, can I do anything with that? I imagine no one needs a bumfuck 3rd world language tho

Great, so how do I get my first job?

>a really shitt
I have a friend who speaks iranian. She works for the governmental migration agency and translates for refugees. I believe she pulls 40k $/year.

I'm sure you can find something with your languages. Just read books and work it up. Watch "smar" movies in those languages. Listen to news in those languages.

At your new job you'll find ways into other stuff that might seem more valuable to you. Perhaps international business?

Now that I think of it, you might be the first person I've talked to who could have a legitimate reason to study international business.

I did my degree online through a shit university in Canada to get a bachelor of commerce in finance. I then got my LLQP worked as a Financial Advisor for 3 years, made decent money (net over 10 k a month in final year), then got hired as VP of Sales in Marketing for a start up company in San Fransisco where I get 250k a year, plus equity and what not. Even if you have an absolutely shit degree, if you prove yourself to be good at something, make yourself unique and show some passion you can get a good job.

Troll post. Criminal Justice isn't in Suicide or Shit tier.

I have a friend who works in interpreting. I think she pulls about 40k $/year.

Just work your languages up. Read stuff in German and Italian. Watch "smart" movies in those languages. Watch news in those languages.

By the way, you might be the first person I've spoken to who could have a legitimate reason to study international business.

By "Smar" did you mean "Smart"?

Yeah maybe a degree in something like that could be beneficial, especially if I find an internship/similar to get a leg up

I was never going to abandon language learning (still doing all my flash cards and that haha)

Do you want to know a God tier route that nobody talks about? Going officer in the military, and using the money you make to start a business.

You get almost everything paid for/discounted in the military and health care, so it's the perfect starting point to start your own shit.

If you do some research, you can find an officer job in the military where you don't have to do shit all day except sit behind a computer desk, which allows for you to have an open schedule to fuck around.

It certainly beats engineering imo, because they'll force you to PT and keep in shape, so you have little room for your autism to take a hold of your life and become complacent.

My friend does the same shit, has coin pushers, ATMs, vending machines, and now has a laundry mat across town that this black guy does the up keep on and gets paid off the books.

He's making fucking killing, but doesn't do shit except collects the money and stocks the machines.

Are you kidding me? Haven't you noticed the refugee crisis? We need people who can translate all kinds of shitty languages. I know one guy who works at a school, teaching basic stuff to refugees and another who works for my country's migration agency. You have a solid value offering, my friend.

Depending on your interests, you could get some job in the business sector. Learn to Python or some statistical language or just learn the ropes to Stata or SPSS and you will up your market value.

it might be hard to get a foot in the door directly in banking. Your first job might be slightly irrelevant, but once you get the experience you can apply directly.

What jobs would I look for then in the "business sector" what would they be called?

desu concerning interests at this point I just wanna get into something nice and stable - work is work and I don't care if it's boring

Sorry I'm retarded lmao

Sounds like a good way to a shitty marriage ending in divorce and a drug addiction.

so you're still in uni? Do you have any sort of a job centre at uni? In mine we have this office that forwards all the internship and job offers directly to students who apply to it over email. If not, check any and all websites in your country where employers offer free posts and potential employees offer their skillsets.

What country you in?

Why is the Geophysics both in godtier and goodtier?

I'm at home now, finished exams etc but I can still talk to the careers advisors via e-mail/telephone, and my uni has a great alumni network with mentoring services etc

In the UK.

Good, if you can still manage to get connections at uni, go for it. If not, try jobsite.co.uk and other job portals based in the UK. I can't really tell you what job in "business sector" you're looking for or what you like, but there's a subsection on the website for various job posts - retail, marketing, IT, accounting, etc. Take your poison, then check what employers from that sector demand. Read carefully, like they demand "good communication skills" while others want "expertise in xyz program". Study that shit, then organize your CV in a way that caters to employers requirements. If you still can't make it, fake it. Do this as a last resort and stretch it as much as you can.

Unbelievable tier is actually garbage /social outcast/ tier. Have fun wasting your youth with other autists (and 30year old dads) in an autism-competition to see who can land the least boring jobs.

Dont fall for this shit guys, do something fun, we'll gonna die anyway...

>got a degree in pharmacy
>oh god, why
>worst job ever
>worst pay ever

I study finance now but trying to single out transferable skills from pharmacy is not easy.

Management Information Services here. How it is supposed to be: perfect combination of tech and business. Instant 50k job and pure upwards growth forever until you are corporate king. What it is: not skilled enough in tech to truly be great, not skilled enough in business to be truly great. Just kinda alright overall, meh salaries that afford a lower middle class lifestyle with an out-of-proportion stress job.

What can I do with a Middle Eastern Studies degree and fluency in two or three languages other than English?
GPA is high

I'll add another one for psych.

I have a BS in psych. Most jobs you can get are 30k/year research positions with no upward momentum unless you get a bachelors. Long-term most people think they need a PhD to net any income, and here's a fun fact for you: Clinical Psych (the most prestigious programs) have about a 7% acceptance rate and an average yearly salary of ~60k. And that's the very fucking best you can do in psych, the cream of the fucking crop. 60k.

If you have a psych degree, look into psychiatric nurse practitioner programs. Many schools offer a graduate entry option so you can go from no nursing experience to your MSN in 3 years.

Psych NP's make 100k+ and have basically the same scope of practice as a psychiatrist with none of the medschool bullshit. You go into a program right after school and you'll walk out at 25 with a six-figure job.

Go two more years and you can get your DNP which will net you lots of opportunities in administration and healthcare planning (meaning even more money).

The job is so in demand you'll have an offer two years before you graduate school. Plus, in some states you can even set up and operate a private practice, and the rules are getting better all the time.

So you're looking at doubling your pay, increasing your ability as a therapist, blowing up your job opportunities, and cutting your time in school in half. Plus, the field is growing rapidly and so are the salaries (average salary has gone up 30k in the last 10 years).

Most programs aren't funded, but if you go to a state school you can walk out less than 40k in debt. You'll be able to pay that off in a year if you live below your means and budget right.

Blows the fuck out of most psych opportunities, I'll tell ya that.

Military, teaching, translation, etc.

Systems* goddammit

If you go to a program worth anything, yes. I can't speak about sociology, but psych is very research and data driven. Get an assistant position as an undergrad crunching data for some prof and then boom, you're a data analyst.

I've even taken it a step further and made working with data my "thing". I've learned MS Access, SPSS, RedCap, Endnote, etc... just from work experience on various projects, and I'm building upon that by trying to teach myself databases, SQL, Python, and basic machine learning on my own at home.

You put in even a little effort and you can blow your rivals the fuck out with this shit.

Johnathan?

State dept?

Japanese studies and political science

Made an internship in some big companies and specialized in international cooperation project management. Also I know some IT shit.

Works out for me.

Nah, business service centers deals business to business (B2B). You won't speak to a client, only other FI's (financial institutions) and account managers. Obviously other ppl in your center as well.

>Also I know some IT shit

I can't stress enough how much even a tiny bit of know-how puts you ahead of other people in fields where CS or engineering isn't commonplace.

I walked into a lab knowing how to work MS Access. These fucking monkeys had our databases all in Excel. I moved it all over linked up a few tables and now I'm the "tech guy" and I'm invaluable because it all falls apart if I'm gone.

how is education and pre school teaching "shit tier" ?

Right help me the fuck out
Accounting or computer science for next year. I'll graduate within top 10% of the class no questions asked, but the college is mid tier. What do I go for for $ and work life balance.

what about supply chain management? Thinking about majoring in it.

Pharmacy degree. I hate the work but have spent 6 years doing it. Please help, i'll take something that gives a better quality of life over pay.

Don't you need to go back to school for nursing? That would mean at least 6 years. 4 for nursing, 2 for nurse practitioner.

>Military as a private

Move to good tier with chance to be Great tier

>About to hit E-4
Where on the chart am I

>BA, History
>Masters, Public Policy
>30k debt
>three years out, currently making 50k/year

do I need to be fixed

Yes, but aren't those costs a natural part of the supposed Veeky Forums lyfestyle?

What about job security?

Nope.

OP, I'm in freshman year of business

should I get off this ride immediately?

This
army is pretty based when you're sergeant or above

The navy is also bretty nice at the E-5 level and the coast guard is hilariously better quality of life for the same money compared to any other service. I'm talking BAH at E-2 because they have no barracks

Nah nigga. Many schools offer accelerated programs called grad entry options. Go in with any bachelors, come out three years later an NP.

If you are so confidant you can be in the top 10% why arent you studying at a better school?

I know that feel bro. Mine was a 4 year degree but i also get paid way less in australia.

It hurts man. I feel like I was lied to. Gonna try and go to med school now, at least it'll give me 4+ years of school to escape to. How much do you make in Australia?

The average is about 60k, probably less. I only work part time so I would earn a great deal less than that. That's probably equivalent to less than 45k USD

I'm in high school rn. What can I do to not fuck up?
Like, what would be the best degree to have in general (as in, more than one or two industries look for people with the degree)

Degree in feminist dyke theory here.

translator
apply to a ph d program in translation
or an ma translation studies
or an mfa in literary translation
wherever you are or abroad

I'm fucked. I majored in English and classics and I'm already out of school.

1. Foreign/Heritage languages require learning a foreign language and marketing/sales techniques.

2. Econ becomes Finance

3. Business Admin becomes Managerial Accounting

4. Accounting becomes accounting, and another major is spun off called law and taxes.

5. Biology becomes nursing.

6. Chemistry becomes how to become a high school science teacher.

7. Psychology becomes a sales major.

8. Gender studies eliminated

9. History requires a foreign language and/or complemented with philosophy and law.

10. Dance becomes how to set up at a cam site.

11. Theology becomes how to operate a church major.

12. Political Science becomes a study of how to rig elections and control mass media

Just finished getting my CA (or CPA as it is known now).

Half-assedly working to become a designated business valuator.

Applied to my old University for a Mathematics degree. I'll register for courses if I can get the undergrad w/ like 10-15 courses.

I regret not studying engineering then getting an MBA. Technology is sweeping the world.

Only shit country have university that offer woman study. Indian only has technical school and no woman study. Stupid americans

Can anyone explain to me why software engineering isn't same tier as cs/programming?

Software engineering still requires a few EE classes and an understanding of how the software and hardware interact. CS is pure codemonkey.

how is Nursing lower-tier than a degree with Geology? Nurses earn 60k (american money) straight out of university after passing the NCLEX. I'm a nursing major thats why.

also why is political science/history majors lower tier? Most end up going to law school to become politicans, lawyers, etc.

Got a degree in international studies, but did a study abroad in Korea and already speak Korean fluently. Ill take a masters in International Business and compliment my broad international knowledge and language skill with more useful business knowledge.

Is this a dumb idea?

Just find someone who can use your skills, or use those skills yourself. You could do fine.

What's wrong with going the CPA route? That's what I plan to do.

All I care about and am good at is history, what the fuck should I do Veeky Forums? Haven't gone to college yet.

Anyone can just google history tho your job is automated.

Undergrad science degree in agricultural science, masters degree in science with a major in epidemiology.

Living in a hotel in Peru (Avenida Abancay 554 Lima, Provincia de Lima, 1, Peru) to save money till I can move back to Australia with actual career prospects...

That's why I have no idea what to do, I know the field sucks.

I honestly wished I studied IT instead of law. It's so useful when working on your own projects. You can just build things that make money for you.
And there are a lot of less time consuming jobs available, leaving you with plenty of time for other things.

Note that time is your most valuable asset. Making money in a way that consumers lots of time is a waste of time.

>consumers
consumes

this thread right here is basically everything that sucks about capitalism in a nutshell. nobody ITT is happy. everyone is stressed about their (lack of) jobs, or hate their job, are make shit money. its not a happy way to live.

but what's better? life's even worse under communism.

Holy shit dude, thank you that sounds tight. I just want lots of money and how bad can it be speaking to insane people for up to 150k? I have the bachelors and just 3 years for a DNP sounds TIGHT. Thank you so much I never heard of that before!

Math/Physics dual BSc. My grades were okay (3.6gpa)

How do I make this employable?

I've got a bachelors in business admin emphasis on business law. The degree says bachelors in business law. What can I do with this? Please help.

You didn't get any internships?

For the love of god fucking apply to the jobs and follow through. No fucking excuse you should not have a job with those majors and GPA.

Unless you're autistic as fuck and can't have a normal conversation with a human being.

Program a algo robot to trade for you. if you can you just sit back and let the profits come to you.

investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/101014/basics-algorithmic-trading-concepts-and-examples.asp

Its something law school people here should be aware of is the JAG program. They pay for your tuition in school and also up to 60K of your current debt. Of course it IS a lot like selling your soul to the devil, enjoy 8 years in Iraq and TFWNOGF but its a good deal though and you'll be THE MAN.

Your job and salary is exactly what that combo should be making but you should try Public Administration then you'll be the God of Bureaucrats.

That is fucked up man. At least pharmacists supposedly make 80K in the US but its 8 years of schooling so its approaching a joke here too as you'll be in approximately 190K debt.

Do the Library Science degree bro you are perfectly set up even though the jobs in low demand. Or Marketing MBA you can flex your knowledge on writing and classics to make some artsy fartsy ad campaigns.

I sounded like such a moron here sorry, it was my staying up all night posting about BREXIT and being tired as hell today.

My dad is a bankrupcy trustee. That's kind of like business and law idk lol

Can you do paralegal with a Bachelor in business law? It pays okay, you could do law librarian or perhaps some kind of consultant job where you give LLC's and small companies legal advice.

Get a finance job in NYC through your college career network.

I did a Bachelor in Electromechanical engineering, ended very bad, no jobs because when graduated the crisis were really high (2011) so i moved to another place and worked in a mine as a maintenance manager for one year. Then i went again to the school and did a master of science in mechanical eng. This time got me a job in the design industry at one of the largest companies in aviation industry, however the paid was basically shit ( less than 30k). I dont know how but ended at a university as full time research professor and again, in my free time studied an MBA. Im near to the ending of it and now I finally understand business and finance. Yesterday a friend of mine told me that a large company needs someone like me. Im thinking to move and save/invest all i can handle and after that start a business of engineering services. Im 28 yo, basically three times graduated with honors and first of the class. Im not living in america btw. Anyway, what woulf Veeky Forums do? Stay in the comfy professor work and do a phd? Or go for investing and a start up?

I'm a Canadian straight white man with a degree in social work and another in criminal justice. Working in social work means sharing an office with freebleeding dyed-hair feminists and making them enjoy my company, which I can't imagine happening.

I got my criminal justice degree to become a police officer but then got diagnosed with irritable bowel disease in university and both the RCMP and local police forces rejected me on those grounds even with my degree.

Social work and criminal justice are alright fields and I feel like I can make a good living if I found a place where straight white guys with imperfect health are welcome. Haven't found anything yet.

I'm a dirty peasant. What trade skill might bring me out of poverty?

Hongkong dude here with a European studies degree (could consider it as social science major), though I speak Chinese, English and a bit better than comprehensable German, I dont see I have any competitive advantage, everyone speaks English and Chinese, my German is not very good. So basically I am fucked. Any of u lads have an idea how to pull me out of poverty

>Graduate in engineering
>Got sick of it by the time I finished
>Applied for every grad job under the sun
>Bullshitted and got a job in retail banking
What the fuck is retail banking and is my career prospects alright?

I have a BS in Criminal Justice and I was planning on going to law school. Law school is a huge ripoff now-a-days so I determined getting an MBA would be better and shifting to the business world. If companies ask me why I did CRJU I'm gonna tell em what I was planning on doing and then sell the statistical analysis side of the degree which is a huge transferable skill.

Just wanted to throw that out there because I lost interest in going the law enforcement route.

Monitoring this thread. Trying to turn my shitty Psych degree into something with 2 failed units and a gpa sitting just above 5 out of 7. Help I'm alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer.

medicine, specialist, eye doctors in big demand in Australia. Don't do psych its a meme, pretty much any bachelors degree is rubbish without postgrad; you may as well be an electrician and make more gp.

Pick something you want to do that has good prospects and do things that compliment it. Don't do any arts degree.

HSIE teacher.