Any engineers here, or engineering students? I must know what to expect from a mechanical engineering degree...

Any engineers here, or engineering students? I must know what to expect from a mechanical engineering degree, is it worth it or are there better options. I enjoy engineering, but the down side is that I just hate math. I don't suck at it, i just don't like it.

Other urls found in this thread:

handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MECHA13710.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you don't like math don't be an engineer. Low tier bait

Yes, I am an engineering student

In some countries a regulatory body ensures that a unis degree is up to par, however, I've been told that in America they don't have this. Worth noting that in some countries the Engineering courses are pretty much replicas.

Anyway, to check what classes you have to take google something like "(insert uni name here) mechanical engineering handbook"

You will get something like this

handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MECHA13710.html

If you can't find something, I assume your uni will be very similar. 3 or so math classes, a few physics classes, maybe a computer class and the rest hardcore mechanics.
Anyway, about your point about not liking math. If you can't handle the math you are going to drop out. Engineering has a high drop out rate already, however, if you go in there with a negative attitude/mentality I can guarantee you will drop out in the first year, and that's before it even gets hard.

If you like engineering you'll learn math. Math has an idiotic way of being taught at schools. When you know for what you need the calculation in order to calibrate something, you'll use it as any other tool.

Any accountants here, or accounting students? I must know what to expect from an accounting degree, is it worth it or are there better options. I enjoy accounting, but the down side is that I just hate Excel. I don't suck at it, I just don't like it.

If you hate math youre going to hate your life for the 5 math courses youre going to have to take. Assuming you start at calc 1. Not including the "math" youll do in physics.

America does have a regulatory body for engineering, each state requires a test for an engineer to get their professional engineering license within the state. Some states accept other states licensees, others don't.

t. Someone helping their department get ready for their ABET review

Chen eng student here. Bite the fucking bullet and learn to do math. Learning Math will make engineering and physics classes much easier. " I hate math" well fat people hate push ups . If you're serious about engineering you'll push yourself to learn the math.

>I don't suck at it
lemme guess, you took integral calc and got an A with minimal studying and you think you don't suck at math

Veeky Forums here, you're shit at math. don't give up though.

Fuck me I hate integration.

This is something only a moron would say. The fact that you go on and on about being in an engineering program a few posts up makes me sick. People like you are literally dangerous. Thankfully you likely won't get near anything important or you'll just drop out to bus tables.

if you hate math quit, it's a living hell

Mech. eng degree is fun, but it's so hard i contemplate suicide everytime finals come around

I'm a second year Mechanical Engineering student. The degree isn't much work and not really difficult, but it might be my university. The pure maths units are my favourite, I guarantee if you spend the time learning it you will stop hating it.

First year had a few annoying lab reports I would do the day before. Apart from that during the semester I barely did anything and didn't go to lectures. Exam time I spent a week or two teaching myself like 75% of the semester. Second year much the same but more work and difficulty.

I did the degree not because I had a passion in engineering, but the degree is useful and justifies the cost of university. If you keep up with the content you'd have to be rather low IQ if you don't pass your units. Once again, it might just be my university.

Do you go to a top university? Are you better or worse than average in your classes?

I'm also from Australia. Do you think our courses are easier than the US or other countries? They seem to always carry on about failing and how much work it is, but I just don't see it. I know retards who manage to pass every unit. Do many people fail units at your uni?

it's all bullshit. I gaveup after the forth year. There's no place for mec eng anymore... they are all slaves in the market right now. Psycho, without any mercy for the world living

This needs to be on billboards and hung from entry ways into schools.

fucking this.

YOU HATE INTEGRATION AND YOU WANT TO BE AN ENGINEER?

i did EE and got a job
i hate math, its not that important when youre actually working

I'm not at UNSW. I go to a mid tier engineering uni by Australian standards, in Aus. Just picked them because they are the best

The only real hard effort I had to put effort in for was the math classes and pure physics classes and a major requirement things here and there, but, I think you are right.

>Do many people fail
Yes, because they are idiots that took on a hard degree with a low atar. My uni has a low atar for engineering so they let in dumb people that drop out shortly, but, the ones that are serious stick through it.

>I know retards who pass everything
People on impression think I am a retard despite my 90 ATAR, but, I just really like engineering so I'm at a distinction average.
If you didn't get atleast an 80 or you have like a 75 or so and a real passion for math/science I wouldn't do engineering.

>They seems to always carry on about failing and workload
STEM, engineering in particular, is a massive circlejerk. I do do alot more work than my business subject friends, their shit is signfiicantly easier in terms of workload. They just have to memorise some textbook definitions and some really light math like logs and stuff if they are doing some finance courses and need to rearrange an equaion.

>Do you think our courses are easier than the US
I'm going to say no because of Engineers Australia. The U.S isn't regulated in engineering education like Australia is, so atleast with Aus you know for certain you are getting 100% of what you need to do/know to be an X engineer.
Are you in uni, are you doing engineering?

The CPA is the most valuable. Learn VBA.

Do Engineering man, Youl'l learn to like the math as long as you put effort in.

I mean compared to the freaky shit you see on Veeky Forums Engineering math is really basic.

in my country, top 2.

i would say i'm average, probably in the 25-30% of the class that didn't get held back more than in one subject

>tfw math is technically my worst subject (I always did the worst on it on my ACT)
>going into engineering this fall

Am I fucked? I mean, I like problem solving and science, and I'm not TERRIBLE at math (got a 5 on AB, found BC to be relatively easy as well, ik it doesn't mean shit but still)...

No. You'll just be put in a lower math when you get to uni. I started out in 2 math classes under "college algebra" and i just now passed calc 2 and taking calc 3 in two weeks. Just don't give up even if it will take longer.

>The degree isn't much work
That's because you're a second year, AKA preparing for the actual engineering courses

b-but I'm taking Calc II first
I heard that was the hardest too, and calculus at my college is considered hell. I'm in for a wild ride...

Nigga chillout. I took calc 2 , organic 1 , and statics at the same time. If you go to , class and study. And don't get fucked up everyweekend youll be fine. The reason they're "weed out" classes is they are challenging but they kick out all the people who don't really want to do STEM. If you WANT to be engineer you will tough it out.

Guess I'm overreacting. I guess I'm in shock from orientation, felt like most of my future fellow students are smarter than me...

Yea, so fucking what? Boo fuking hoo people around you are smart. You're taking calc 2 starting off in college, so you're some what competent. Don't make dumb decisions and you'll pass. The "smart" classmates don't have as much influence on your grade as you do. Also become buddy -buddy with your TA it will save you a ton of time.

Make friends and always help other people out if you can.

There are countless times where assistance from other people have really helped me out, but, they wouldn't have done it if I didn't help them out first.

3-2 student here. The amount of effort that I have to put in so that I can make an A in a blowoff class is the amount that I have to put in so that I can make a B in a non-STEM but serious class, and a C in a STEM class.

STEM has rigour.

>don't like math

You can probably power through it.