How much do you owe after you graduated from a university? or just a general debt thread

How much do you owe after you graduated from a university? or just a general debt thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/
newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/29/mr-money-mustache-the-frugal-guru
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

None, paid it off as I went.

Bought a house a couple years after that, pretty easy if you try.

I owe about $1000 to Discover with about $5000 credit limit remaining. I owe about $1500 to Home Depot with about $3500 remaining. I have a $2000 personal line of credit with $300 borrowed and $1700 remaining. We owe like $1-2000 to JC Penney with a shitload remaining. We owe a few hundred to Amazon with a shitload remaining. I use a Wal-Mart credit card in lieu of a debit card so there's a couple hundred there and every few months they bump up my credit limit another $500 or $1000 so that's just basically my credit score hack.

I have 3 or 4 other cards but I think they're paid in full. A PayPal one, another Discover, a Visa .. I think those are at $0 or close to it each with a good chunk for the spending limit.

My wife owes about .. boy $5-6000 still on her student loans but it's not too bad.

We owe the hospital about $8000 for delivering our son. That's our out of pocket. (Thanks Obama..)

I'm financing two cars and owe a few thousand on each. Thinking about trading in my commuter for a 3-seater.

I just bought my first home for $266,000. I've only made two mortgage payments so far.

I'm thinking of taking out a home equity line of credit to upgrade our deck and yard. That plus my tax return next year ought to take care of it. That'll set me back $5000 plus another $5000 in debt but could boost value of the home up by $50k (we're having a bit of a mini housing bubble here)

Yea my debt is pretty good. It's working for me.

pretty much devoting my gainz to my 9k student loan. up 130 now, only a bit more to go. VYM up and up

$5k student loan, make $360 monthly payment.
it will be gone in a year.

None , because i don't live in a Jew controlled country

>about $8000 for delivering our son. That's our out of pocket. (Thanks Obama..)
Honestly more people need to be prepared to pay for these kinds of expenses. Because they would have been expensive regardless of who was president lol
We had a family friend who had no medical insurance (that was her choice) and she ended up having to pay the entire $50,000 bill for her complication-free delivery....if there are complications you're talking about a 6 or 7 figure situation. 8k isn't too shabby, in my opinion; t-thanks, Obama

>my debt is pretty good. It's working for me.
is this what murricans actually believe?

actually yeah the "extending me a line of credit has been a godsend" mindset is common in America
we're a consumer culture

mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/
they should read this

lol wtf you actually go through that guy's blog
didn't you read the New Yorker expose about him; hes the literal definition of a vapid cunt

link? i read mostly his calculations and philosophy about saving and retirement and they looked solid he just talks too much about pointless shit.

not gonna spoonfeed you find it yourself

>unsuccessfulpeople.jpg
>"focuses on people, not ideas"

you would stop focusing on his ideas if you realized how naive he was

it's true the guy has a cult-leader like attitude and sounds narcissistic but show me a mainstream politician that doesn't. otherwise he probably wouldn't put so much energy in his blog.
mmm taught me something very important that i will never forget. interest percentages really matter even a single percent difference over inflation makes a world of difference in 10 years.

lol he's not a politician he's a blogger
and a helicopter parent
and one debt crisis away from completely abandoning his platform

i already had similar practices/ideas that have served me and others i know quite well

found the blog searching for something one time and related to some of it

you really need to sauce this up cause i can't find it.

>related to some of it
this is the key i think you never swallow everything without chewing. think it though use what you find to be true and suiting your purposes even extrapolate from it and discard the rest.

newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/29/mr-money-mustache-the-frugal-guru
fuck you

yeah i found this one but it does not mention him being in a debt crisis as you said. it just points out how he is enjoying the attention. and it's not a totally discrediting review if you actually read it.

I didn't say he's in a debt crisis
but his entire platform rests on the fact that his very very fortunate situation - which is, in all seriousness, quite difficult to attain and almost impossible to sustain - will last forever
one 6 figure debt situation - getting hit by a car, injury, getting sued, divorce, whatever
and he's gonna delete his entire blog and go back to work like the rest of us

>He told me that his blog is now earning around four hundred thousand dollars a year

sounds like a kick ass passive income to me, living the good life

haters gon hate

>but his entire platform rests on the fact that his very very fortunate situation - which is, in all seriousness, quite difficult to attain and almost impossible to sustain - will last forever
in this i agree he was lucky right time right place and he did not blow it.
>one 6 figure debt situation - getting hit by a car, injury, getting sued, divorce, whatever
and he's gonna delete his entire blog and go back to work like the rest of us
i see
well he might very well have millions in assets by now based on his attitude and where he started.
6 figure debt in usd is unimaginable to me really. how the fuck is it actually possible?
most you can get in debt by accident like this in my country is around $17k in extreme cases and $4k for a usual prolonged hospital stay with many surgeries after a car crash for example.

what do you mean? do you know how expensive it is to get hit by a car? or to go through cancer treatment? a million dollar hospital bill takes only about 6 weeks to rack up. and like this user points out, the guy has a high income from his blog (thanks to sponsored content) so he's definitely not gonna qualify for fucking emergency medicaid if he's put into that kind of situation

>do you know how expensive it is to get hit by a car?
like i said i can't relate to this it is simply not true for me. a co-worker had her entire family crushed to barely living pulp in an accident took a year for them to get back to a semblance of normalcy. cost them about $20k most of which was covered by their insurances.

also if you have to drive for an extended period go to an other country drive especially dangerous roads you can buy insurance for that 1-3 days that will pay the fucking moon if anything happens yet still doesn't affect your yearly budget.

$30k

I plan to move in with my longtime girlfriend into a comfy 1 bedroom apartment while I work at her dads medical device company.

None, god bless Europe :)

$145,411

none
full ride

>>We owe the hospital about $8000 for delivering our son. That's our out of pocket

and yet people don't vote for single payer

none
my dad got the promotion of a lifetime before I went to college and was able to pay for everything easily without me taking out loans
I love my parents

Altogether I'm at like 40k between school and a 10k used car loan since I needed a car straight out of school and my parents convinced me to buy something newer with only 20k miles rather than a cheapo 3k beater.

Was it NYU?

>le reliability/build ur credit meme

Yeah

I've worked out several times that assuming I keep my job and get no raises (thus no real permanent increase in payments) I'll have all my shit paid off in 5 years.

So fuck me I guess.

$50k for my B.S.

That said I'm not too worried about it. They're federal loans so the worst case scenario they can drag me down is 10% of my income/year for 20 years, then they disappear. Hopefully I'll be able to find something lucrative to pay them down soon though

None

GI bill paid my private school tuition for a BA and MBA entirely

Also paid me $57k housing allowance as well

The rest pretty good, I've just had friends end up wage slaving to make car payments they didn't need to and never make it into college or if they graduated, have the capital to move out of town while I've bought and sold two aging sports cars for half that and still come out ahead of their "economical" and "reliable" choices when it came time to sell. Also put gas on a credit card and came out with the same credit score.

>tfw received a full ride scholarship for my undergraduate and, now just recently, for my post-graduate studies too.

no

64k after a master's

Depending on a starting salary, I'm gonna be okay. It's my first and singular focus after I get out. I study a hard science, so I'm confident about it.

i owe about 2000USD for my car and 2000USD for my school loan. i'm almost there. i'll focus on my car loan first. after finish school i owed 10,000USD so far its been 5yrs trying to pay it off. i'm a car mechanic. i could have paid it off much quicker but my first year i didnt make much and hurricane sandy totaled my old car so i had to buy a new one. also i would have been finished by now but i lost my old job and went unemployeed for some time.

None because I live in Germany

not graduated. 20 credit hours short of STEM degree.

must take take 1 semester elsewhere before finishing.

60k+ in debt with first payment due yesterday.

haven't gotten deferment/ forbearance/ lesser bill yet, need to contact lenders asap.

have been considering military or an hero for months but just landed part time job.

as long as I can wageslave and stay on top of six months of payments I'll be able to take out more loans (hah!) and finish.

hope I make it

If you count in the money lost from not working the average undergrad costs about $200,000

will have $380k in debt by the time i finish med school

LMFAO HAHAHAHAHAH

didn't even think of this. JUST my whole shit up senpai. but eh, i was a degenerate normie-wannabe drunk, can't really beat myself up too much

>have $380k in deb
avition/pilot major here, im going to be somewhere around 100k-120k

Was about $12k; paid it off in under a year. Also have a financed car with about $19k left on it. Some minor credit card balances that I pay in full every month. No house. Net worth about 30k.

I've been out of college for only 1.5 years, so this is pretty good for America.

>paying off debt
>any year

Well least in real estate, you owe 10 million, but make 3 figures from leases.

expand on that math user
your numbers make no sense to me

A little less than $80k

If I don't land a decent job after I finish my PhD I don't know what I'll do. I'm in chem, which is a bad field right now, but an area that is pretty highly employable compared to the others.

I owe 20k for a BFA and an associates. I haven't been able to bring it down yet though and it's been 6-7 years since i graduated.

With that being said, it hasn't changed my life much having the debt. I avoid credit cards, and have 4 checking and 3 savings accounts.

I wish I had a nicer car from awesome credit, but it probably would not be a good idea at this time in my life anyway. I've only just matured enough to wash my car regularly, keep the interior clean and dust free and take it in to regular check ups. In a few years I'll be ready.

$33,000

I prefer to live with roommates over living alone, however, so the amount I save on living costs more than covers the student loan payments. All in all, I got to go to college for 4 years and goof off and then get a well-paying office job so it was a pretty good investment.

The average gap between high school grads and college grads in wage is $17,500 and still growing. If the average worker works for 30 years, it has a return of nearly 300%. That's pretty damn good returns.

This doesn't even consider the gap for good, high-paying majors.

well son, in real estate you take out a mortgage on a house then rent it out and pay the minimum amount of payments each month, you dont even pay the mortgage, the renters do. which still leaves you with a decent profit. after payments.

you then proceed to do this over and over again until you are making plus six figures.

i am not a robot

It only helps you to go to college if you have a guaranteed job afterwards. Otherwise you might as well have waited to find a career you could enjoy.

yeah that doesn't work tho. by the time you payed the mortgage from the rents you can spend again the equivalent of the original buy price on the home unless you want to let it go to shits. a couple of asshole renters can even increase this cost.

but i was talking about how in the hell do you think having 3 digit income on 10 million debt be a good thing specifically?

I can get more images, for research?

Shit man - that'll take you about 2 years to pay off!

>i love living a privileged life
Scum

>It only helps you to go to college if you have a guaranteed job afterwards.
And most people do.

>Otherwise you might as well have waited to find a career you could enjoy.
A college degree opens up many careers you may enjoy but could never qualify for without one.

here is my situation anons
i can repay my debt that has 3.75% interest on it yearly
or i can put the same money into a fund that payed 12% on average so far and mostly consists of us and german stock portfolios but also has a little this and that in it.
in 20 years time it is unlikely that dollar average investment will not make me 10% yearly on my investment right?

why wouldn't i put money into this fund instead of repaying debt ahead of schedule?

0€

Feels good not living in third world shitholes like the USA

Want to leverage our 10k debt using indexes from our own equity markets and see who fares better?

What's with that user's debt that made you think NYU ?

$70,000
I used to have another $50k on my dads federal parent loan but he got discharged because he's disabled now. I can't believe they don't put me on the hook for that...
they did try to tax him like $15k because it counted as income but he can't afford it so they just let it go

Still in uni. Accounting. Owe nothing.

My dad makes a lot of money. Student debt is enough to make or break some people nowadays. I'll be investing the money I'd otherwise be spending on my loans.

104k so far for near worthless credits.
University of California is a scam, especially if you're out of state.

0 in student loans.

$3,612.90 in credit debt, most of it financed but I've changed my ways and I've been doing a lot of self improvement and paying it down without a problem.

This would be just another reason why so many people are talking about an economy crash caused by student loans not getting paid...

that doesn't make sense user
i'm asking if i really see this correctly and the math is heavily against paying the student loans AHEAD OF SCHEDULE instead of putting the same amount into a fund that yielded 12% so far.

if you compound the two the 12% wins by extreme amount. also i can just pay enough for the student loan so it's gone by 2022 or so and still do this.

mommy and daddy pay my 16k/yr medical school, owe 0

$0. Not sure how student debt gets so high in the states, here in Canada it's pretty easy.

Real ting eh

£50k
standard for a masters here in bongland

About $60k

Stem degree and Phd, cost a grand total of 4.5k.

Ireland!

just checked. I'm at $92k. if/when I finish easily over $120k

Wacky idea.

Instead of college, invest that $100,000+ debt into property. Get that same degree-not-required job you'll end up with in an irrelevant field to your major, work the 4 years full-time, earn $25,000 salary for those 4 years while living at home and renting out the house you purchased. All your friends graduate with $100,000 dept and begin working the same standard of job you have been working. Meanwhile, you get a modest promotion, own a substantial portion of your home, and you're doing alright. Maybe by then you can slowly chip away at a degree at night school or online if needed to further yourself

Translated from "dood skool is dum" speak:
>work at McDonald's for four years
>earn less than enough to cover your living expenses in any first world country
>take either community courses or online ones from some shit tier for-profit school
>have zero job prospects and no money saved up because you were barely scraping by to afford rent and food

That doesn't sound right. I am pretty sure we live in a pure meritocracy where cross-generation wealth accumulation doesn't provide ungodly advantages.

about $16k when I finished both BS and MS in mech eng. I paid it off completely 9 months after graduating.