Youtube/Twitch/Gambling

Anyone here experienced in monetising blogging/streaming?

I hear the 'Youtube personalities' are getting rich by extracting money from middle class teenagers, which in turn extract money from their parents. I browsed around the Twitch streamers, and it seems to be a top-heavy profession with hundreds of streamers having only a single-digit number of viewers.

I also landed on this:
youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0

Cunning, but they fucked up. How hard would it be to, say, recruit some social and loud retard to play some video games and shout to a webcam?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9Yl37vp8ZPw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9Z9us-urI
youtu.be/6rstuoBfuoI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow finally a thread which isn't about crypto currency.

Having been there, i can tell you it's not as easy as it looks, but once you grab it, it becomes a pure hand of Midas.

Basically, what you are looking for is hitting one of the Twitch not-too-overplayed not-too-unknown games. Then hire some bots to get some boost (300 should be enough in the beginning, but it will cost), then keep fucking trying to get attention. Get a chick to play with you, appeal to the audience with your social skills, get on some media, get on good terms with someone so that they may "raid" you, etc. Once you get about 5.000 followers, you can strike a deal with Twitch. Each subscriber gives you 2 dollars and Twitch gets 3. From there on, it's a routine thing, but the way is only upwards, unless you screw up badly.

I have a channel with over 100.000 subs, but i do animations and i dont talk or show my face, nobody knows who i am

my twitter and facebook pages are small and I aint got a twitch

im wondering how i can get more money out of my already stablished (and growing) fanbase

i would hate being famous so whoring yourself on cam is out of the question

im also thinking about ways to go worldwide, cause im stuck with spanish speaking countries for now which have a low CPM

Tee's or signed posters ect?

Unless you're one of
>a girl
>good at games
>naturally charismatic

Don't bother, you'll just be some ass on camera streaming for 5 people.
Kind of late to the party too.

Did you see Twitch creative? Those would be monetizable products, but fewer viewers and they require more talent.

Why couldn't you do your animations in English?

Could hire a translator for $10/hr of video (not hour worked) on mechanical turk, if that's the problem.

Yeah i've considered tee's, but i don't know if it's legal to put a link in your youtube header page even tho everyone does it.. i dont want to risk lossing my channel

i may wait until i reach at least 500k subs, to sell t's u need massive traffic

the animations barely have any text at all, any kid that watches it would enjoy it

the problem is it references characters that are very famous in the hispanic yt community so it has attracted all the hispanic speakers

hopefully in the future i can do videos with references to characters that speak en english to get some english traffic going

i do get views from usa and some ad revenue too, but its nothing compared to countries like mexico

Have you considered having viewers pay to be in a video?

Like charge $20, and then let them design a character, maybe have them even record a couple lines of dialogue?

Could do a free contest at first to see if there's any interest, but if you get a few hundred submissions, there might be. It would be good advertising too.

>it references characters that are very famous in the hispanic yt community

If you have 100,000 subs, have you tried to do any cross promotional stuff with these characters?

I actually work with a bunch of different Twitch Streamers.

I gave it a go early on because fuck it. I love video games, and I want to make money playing games all day. Turns out, I'm too fat, too ugly, and not personable enough to grab attention. Go figure. Plus there's a lot of people like me who want to start to twitch stream because they think it'll make em a buttload of money.

But what I can do is write, market, and at least make it seem I can do a lot. So I started advertising that I'd write up Copywrite, bio's, connect with artists at a severe discount for art, even offer payment options to bring in viewers to their youtube videos as well as subscribers. New twitch/youtube personalities generally picked me up. Now a large part of my revenue comes from working with streaming clients who feel I'm sort of secretary who does all the background work when really I just spend an hour a week on each of em and collect $100.

What kind of pricing plan are you offering? No way people are paying 100/ week or even a month for shit they can easily learn to do themselves.

when you are that size, you should serious attempt to get contact with a slightly larger channel and try to organize a collaboration so that the other persons subscribers check you out, bonus points if the video is uploaded to the larger channel because then more people see it

i can get thousands of view bots easily for free and have been researching on a good method to monetize. thought about doing a twitch plays pokemon style or something cause im not normie enough to be a camera personality.

OP here, maybe I didn't imply it as much as I thought of it, but I never said I want to be the person streaming:

>recruit some social and loud retard

I was thinking more along the lines of:
>find a diamond league/6k mmr NEET that plays video games
>invent this 'angry/raging/flaming' character
>the person must be as close to that character as possible, with only minor artificial flavour added
>buy them a PC and ask them to be themselves on stream for 8 hours a day

The contract can be in the grey area, especially if the person are from non-EU Eastern Europe. They can rage on camera as much as they want. The more stuff they break, the better publicity (I don't mind investing in new mice every week - as long as the channel gets popular).

Now, you can counter-argue and bring up the person's integrity. But how do you explain the existence of camwhores? People would be willing to do these things. I don't want a full time career, I want a creatively construct asset, hence opening this discussion.

I think what you're describing sounds similar to a network, like machinima or polaris. Except they don't give their Youtubers equipment. And they don't dictate the nature of their content to that degree.

Most networks actually screw the channels signed with them pretty badly, taking the majority of their revenue and doing almost nothing in return.

Only the huge Youtubers have enough clout to properly bargain with the networks. Which is only because they don't actually need a network.

Why don't you just learn to Program+Art and then make the next Minecraft, FlappyBird, AngryBirds, CandyCrush, Undertale, shitty underdeveloped game with 1 gimmick.

Doesn't Twitch test for bots and ban you or some shit?

Also, I'm not much of a gamer, but could I do well on YouTube? I'm thinking of getting some friends together to start a comedy sketch kind of channel, maybe some vlogs of us going on adventures (like going to universal or disney and joking around and shit) if we get famous.

What's the point of a network? Wouldn't it just be more cost-effective to sign up with Adsense?

>going on adventures
>like going to universal or disney

The faggotry of this faggot is off the scale.

It is, but the views don't lie.

youtu.be/9Yl37vp8ZPw

I'm not questioning whether you would get views or not but going to a amusement park isn't an adventure.

True, I mean just doing shit with friends and uploading it to the internet, can't hurt.

Makes you wonder, how did channels like Filthy Frank, Idubbbz, and Maxmoefoe get famous in the first place?

Not with that attitude

If you can do it, will have fun doing and think you'll be successful go for it. Not trying is the worst you can do. Not sure how they got famous and don't even know about them since I don't watch those kinds of things.

I'd say an adventure is something like climbing Mt. Everest, something that involves high risk.

I get the adventure thing, but yeah I wouldn't be able to do that often enough to make money, so I'll have to settle for small shit like vlogging hanging out and sometimes going to those places.

Though obviously I won't let it be my main income unless it become really profitable, and getting to that level seems tough.

>What's the point of a network?

The short answer is, there isn't one.

But if you want a serious answer...
Networks claim that they help youtubers overcome obstacles and risks inherent in the platform.

A big one is that they claim to use their influence to be a sort of union, pooling resources to help their networked channels dispute unfair content-ID claims.
Another is they claim to help with advertising to push your content and more importantly, your brand.

In reality they almost never do either of those things, or anything else they promise.

The typical youtube-network business model seems to be:
>Look for smaller channels. (think between 100 and 50,000 subs) and make contact with them to sell them your network.
>Get them locked into a contract that enforces maximum monetization while also guaranteeing you the majority of the generated ad revenue (after youtube takes their cut, obviously.)
>Avoid doing any of the things you said you would through a combination of wilful incompetence, loopholes built into the contract, and generally being contactable.
>Respond to any attempt by one of your networked channels to leave their contract with extreme legal and financial threats.

Obviously this varies depending on the specific network but it holds true generally.

>contactable

I meant uncontactable.

So I feel if I have a big enough channel, I can basically sort out the content ID stuff myself, right? Couldn't Pewdiepie also do that? Why is he signed with a network then? Or is his network better?

Pretty much yeah. If you're big enough to make a network uphold their end of the bargain then you don't need them anyway.

And it's not the same situation with the likes of pewdiepie. Youtubers that big don't really belong to a network. They either personally run or otherwise control the network on some level.

In fact in the specific example of Pewdiepie doesn't he literally own his network, Revelmode?

Charming idea, but I think you're underestimating the build-up. It usually takes channels years to get to a point where they can even think about becoming full-time streamers. I've never met anyone who started on YT as a professional gig. Most start small and shitty. Okay, with enough know-how and investments you can maybe skip a year of crappy mic and blurry low-rez video. But it does still take time to build up a backlog, a reputation and an audience. Most channels start out as hobbies and works of passion. Because if you're decently successful you're probably going to get $20 at the end of year 1. And each video has preparation (know the game, the mechanics, have a plan, etc), recording time and post processing (editing, rendering, uploading). It depends on the approach (footage dumps on high-volume channels vs montages and carefully edited videos on quality channels), but expect to sink anywhere from 2x to 10x the amount of time of the final video into it.

Essentially you'd be paying a full-time job for 3 years with hopes it would become profitable one day. It's silly. The only way this stuff works is because your own time doesn't cost you anything. Also, I kinda doubt that there are many pro gamers who are brilliant actors out there seeking a job as a phoney front of a YT channel. You need passion, real emotion, authentic audience interactions and quite a bit of skill (voice projection, etc) and screen presence.

YT starts being fun with a backlog of ~500 videos, because you get a base amount of money just on the old stuff. Twitch is horrible money, YT pays way more, but there's more audience interaction on Twitch. The *real* money is actually in promotions and donations. But that means quality content, years of audience building and it would never work with the "negative" approach you're suggesting (having someone rage or be hated).

Mangement of copyright strikes. The main reason YT allows networks is, they legally delegate responsibility to them. Without network, YT doesn't fuck around. Any claim is a copyright strike until proven otherwise. Claimants can just claim shit, regardless of whether they own it. You can dispute the claim. The claimant can just say "Fuck You" and uphold the claim.

Copyright strikes are *awful*. They take away essential features: They disable your ability to create custom thumbnails, they immediately restrict you to a max of 15 minutes on new videos and... they disable monetization. You need your account to be in good standing to monetize. Not being in a network means, your income is at the mercy of bots and idiots on the web (a claim is enough to fuck you up for weeks). And after three strikes it's lights out anyway.

Networks on the other hand (at least of managed partners - unmanaged partnership is mostly worthless) can manage claims for you without them becoming strikes. Watch this, youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9Z9us-urI - it's some kind of hot-shot youtube who runs his own network showing off both sides of ContentID.

>tfw i get millions of views with 12 videos
sometimes quality pays instead of uploading 500 shitty gameplay videos

my plan is to have at least 100 videos, and since my videos get granted at least 1 million+ views, once a video reaches at least 1 million+ views, i've noticed they keep getting passive views pretty much forever

so my idea is to complete a collection of 100 videos with millions of views each and then i think that will give me money forever

it will take me a long time to complete 100 videos tho, cause it takes time as i dont do gameplay shit

i really hate, hate the gameplay faggots that get millions of views per video, those are the guys getting legit rich since they can shit videos daily while im stuck making stuff that requires more time

the only valid reason to be in a network is if you want to monetize

im on adsense without network and i have filed disuptes several times. if you know you own the video because you made the stuff yourself there's nothing to fear, file disputes and they will retreat. im not giving shit for a network cause i dont need it.

youtu.be/6rstuoBfuoI

Shit, looks like all you have to do to make that YouTube money is be a controversial asshole who fucks over other channels and streamers.

What kind of videos do you make? Is the market pretty saturated or will I be able to form a decent audience if I know what I'm doing?

Seeing that this thread is close to what I wanted to ask, I'll post here.

Would it be a good idea to be honest about wanting to monetize content early on? You can't really call somebody a sell out, when he stated wanting to make money in advance.

Sure there are some things I wouldn't do due to morals / autism but you know it would be an interesting and fun side project/hobby to have.

I don't want to get big nor want to get into the "youtuber club" I just want to test myself if I can make any money from there or not.

look up poker twitch
most people suck at it but there's two or three that are actually good

i think if u intend to upload daily stuff like gameplays, you need to be rather big otherwise you cant make enough money for it to be worth ti

Depends how you do it I guess. Tons of fucks on YouTube just bitch about someone "selling out" because they mentioned Audible at the end of the video or they stopped uploading 20 League of Legends videos every day. It could depend on what audience you target. I'm curious as to what kind of content you are thinking of putting out.

Yeah... Youtube community is really bad in that sense.

I used to have a concept of making a gaming related SFM stuff, you know make characters and dress them up for reviews and stuff. I doubt I will ever get to make it, but I like to play with the idea.

Go for it, but remember that while people of all ages can enjoy SFM stuff depending on what you make of it, stuff like that does attract kids, who are more likely to bitch about selling out because they have less of an understanding of the value of money. That being said, kids are the moneymakers because many of them use the YouTube app, which doesn't block ads, or don't know how to use adblock on their computer.

Yeah. It is worth a try.
Thanks!

No problem, good luck.

No, he is straight up owned by Disney. MAKER Studios. Look it up. They got their hands all over the top rated Youtubers.

sounds like shit