Hello Veeky Forums I was wondering if you could help me find some certainty. I'm 23 and I think I work a decent job...

Hello Veeky Forums I was wondering if you could help me find some certainty. I'm 23 and I think I work a decent job, I've been making between 85,000 to 100,000 a year CAD since I was 18, while most of my friends are in school. My company has opportunities to move up from my position to a supervisor, then manager, then director with no further education. Our directors cap out at around 300,000 a year including stock options. Yet I still feel like I'm wasting my time and want to go to university instead. Is this lack of fulfiment just because all my friends are partying hard and I'm working my bag off? or should I quit and try and pursue more education? Am I just being a retarded millenial ingrate?

Yeah dude, go to university.
What if another crisis shows up and you get laid off after working for years in the business? You'll be a 30 y/o fag with no education, and no ones gonna get an old fag with no education a decent job.

If OP gets laid off he can just go to college with the money he should have been saving up. It's not like you have to be fresh out of high school to go to college. It's probably better to go to college when you're more mature anyway.

OP, you are doing right. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks, I'm currently managing to save almost 2k a month, I figure if shit really goes south I'll hunker down in school. I feel fairly secure as my job was made permanent last year, just jelly of people living the eternal party.

don't go to school for the partying and whatnot, go to school to advance your career and personal intelligence

Easy fix. Buy a house near party college. Go out and party on the weekends.

Give me 50,000.

On a serious note, what on Earth do you do that makes you 85 grand a year from age 18 and how can I get in on this fascinating nepotism?

Yep this. Calling bull shit by default. If OP is telling the truth he certainly knows how lucky he is and knows better than to go to college, which is a complete fucking scam, but would be free for a leaf.

City job, doing goverment legislated safety inspections. Got in because of family

Learn game. Keep saving. Pursue side projects that could eventually give you freedom. Enjoy being young and rich.

Hold up.

You've been making 85k+ a year from age 18 and you're asking if you should go to college?

>I'm currently managing to save almost 2k a month

You get paid over 50k after taxes and you save "almost" 2k a month?

Are you legitimately retarded? FUCK YOU. People would put their dick on fire to be in your shoes. With the fucking money you're making, you should be saving much more than "almost" 2k a month. Then invest it or open a business.

Check your privilege... srs...

>check your privilige
tumblr pls

Well, he's from Canada, so he's basically only making monopoly money.

I went to college and 8 years later am only making $60k USD.

50k in 12 months is a little over 4k a month.

If he has his own house, there's about half of his take home already. Add insurance and other things...

Come to Canada and find a trade. More specifically, find a trade in the oilfield. 100k is ez.

>Oil field meme

Oil jobs in Canada are not what they used to be silly user, it's not as easy anymore. Since at least 2 years already.

wtf 17 replies and nobody has given him shit for wanting 85,000 CAD, ie 40 dollars American

>jelly of people living the eternal party
What's so great about partying user? You get tired of it eventually anyway.

College is for a profession. Don't go if you don't want a profession. Just stock up on certifications and networking if you wanna continue doing what you do for a career.

>all these guys claiming 100k is easy to make
>especially when people say starting graduate jobs pay that much

>all this cope

Listen or don't, but trade apprentices are still making upwards of 80-90k without even a certification, just safety tickets.

100k is ez.

>Unsupported claims

Gonna need proof on that. The jobs I see posted in 2016 that offer that much, even in Fort McMurrey, require multiple years of experience. It's not 2012.

>trade apprentices are still making upwards of 80-90k

No they are not. Stop spewing shit that your dad/uncle told you after 13 bud lights

...what do you do? Is it in danger of being automated/phased out (as an industry, not just at your company)? If so, and you think a career change is the only way to avoid eventual homelessness, that's the only reason I'd seriously consider college in your situation.

85k a year is nothing to sneeze at for someone in their 20s. You're doing well, and assuming you reach managerial or director levels, your industry is somewhat less important than your title and people skills, even if you were to lose your job.

Even if you get laid off as a manager, there are plenty of manager roles that don't necessarily require a college degree; worst comes to worse, retail would always be an option (albeit a shitty one).

Bottom line, no matter what your education level, no matter what your skill set, no matter who you work for now, finding a new job is largely predicated upon your persistence, your connections, and your ability/willingness to be flexible with your work schedule and/or job location.

College certainly doesn't seem like a necessity given your income level. If you're saving $2k per month, that means you're only really spending half your income; keep up that rate for 5 years, and you'll have $125k float which will allow you to pay for a college education outright if you ever decide that 1) you need one, or 2) you want one.

At this point you've kind of missed out on the "party hearty college" meme; you're a bit old for it, and to be honest, if you're not a traditional college student it all gets old pretty quickly. Your life will be better than the vast majority of college graduates' lives anyway, in the long run. If you're that worried about it, just retire early and go to vegas a couple times a year.

If you seriously feel bad about it, go experience a couple college parties just for shits & giggles; spend a weekend with a friend in their shithole apartment, drink gutter beer and rail drinks with them, and knock out a few whores, just to say you did it.

ur literally the 1% of ur age bracket and u ask if u are doing well

get fucked brag fart

Most companies care about relevant work experience compared to your degree. If someone wants to hire a senseless drone because of their degree, fine. But an experienced and intelligent workforce consists of those who come up with consistent and positive results thanks to their past experiences.

I don't need anyone to tell me, I already work in the oilfield, hence me telling you. You can choose to believe or not, it doesn't change how much money I or any of the other tradesmen make. Just keep that cope to yourself, though.

What reason do I have to lie? We hired two green apprentices last Thursday and they're making nearly $26/hr, overtime from 8-10 hrs, and double time from 10+ hrs. They're grossing 1400-2000 a week and they have no experience. What the fuck is your excuse? Not to mention they're both 20 years old.

This. Experience > degree. No one cares if you have a degree like everyone else does. Do'nt go to college at least not if you have to stop working. If you want to do some studying in the evening and weekends part-time then all fine.

Also, just so you know, but generally speaking the jobs that get posted online aren't the only jobs around. Trade unions have their own job boards for members, and then there's the whole networking side of things. I'd wager over 50% of the trades jobs in Alberta are given/taken to people without them ever being posted in the first place.

I don't refute that you could (and most likely are) telling the truth, it just so happens that your single comment goes against literally hundreds of comments posted from various workers online, hence my initial skepticism.

>We hired two green apprentices last Thursday and they're making nearly $26/hr

Exactly what job?

That makes much more sense.

Personally I'm a scaffolder, but my close friend is a pipeliner and makes substantially more than I do.

I meant the jobs of the two newly-hired apprentices that start at 26$/hr

Dumb.
Smart.

>CAD
It's like $20 USD

Buy a house, pay it off, then it doesn't matter what happens,no mortgage, you can get another job and/or go to school

Also scaffolders, sorry for the delay, work and all that.

Dude i make 7000 euro per year and I'm 24 and you gotta tell me about wasting time when you make 300000 a year by doing cad, i can design cad too but will i find some enterprise who pays me what you earn? Nope not even on a million years would i be able to earn that amount by design cad as freelancer when there are millions of Indians who would do the same job and ask 10 euro for a job worth 3000 euro? Nope, i dont even know how your company manages to make that amount of money with just cad design like wtf you must have the best business contract man of the whole world anyway you
just dont realize how lucky you are...

Thanks.

Googled what a scaffolder is (not native English speaker). Fuck me sideways, I'm afraid of heights. Are you aware of other jobs offered by your company? Are they looking for anything specific that can be learned on the spot/short training?

First years generally don't even leave the ground, honestly. There are so many trades that have similar wages, it's crazy. My mother, a woman who has done fairly menial jobs her entire life, was able to score a job in a camp as an attendant at $26/hr with similar benefits to my own job, and a union to go with it. This was only 1.5 years ago, as well.

I wasn't really fond of heights when I started out either but you begin to get used to it after a while. I don't think the fear ever really goes away although I've seen some fearless motherfuckers in my years. Working at 150ft on an 8 inch beam with a wire sling and harness being the only thing keeping you from certain death. I know a few guys that have worked at 3-500ft as well.

For reference, a journeyman scaffolder makes $43/hr here, with 8-10hrs@overtime and 10+hrs@double, and 10% vacation pay. Oh, $6.70 goes to a pension for each hour you work, and it also doubles on double-time hours.

>First years generally don't even leave the ground, honestly.

Really? What do they do then? If I could help for 25$/h without heights, I'm down.

Does your mom still work at the camp?

Is your employer looking for workers at the moment?

They pass and pack material. It takes a lot of gear to make any sort of useful scaffold. You would not be expected to go up on a scaffold as a green apprentice. It's much a learn-by-doing job.

Mother switched jobs a few times since then, since she's part of the union and has access to the job board.

My employer is looking for people but not where I live. It's an international business, big in America and Canada and I think some in Mexico although I'm not sure. Brock Industrial, look it up.

If you live in Alberta and have safety tickets but can't find an oilfield job, you're either really, really unlucky or there's something very wrong with your resume.

>don't solve me or my son ever again

Thanks for the info.

Do you think it's doable to pass training to be a scaffolder, work as an apprentice for 20$+/hr without having to climb then just quit before having to climb? I mean, if training is short, it's like an easy ticket to a temporary 20$+/hr job, lolz

There certainly are scaffolders that just work in yards packing and stacking gear, but we call those people niggers and arabs and laborers.

You wouldn't want to be called that, would you? And besides, you become accustomed to heights over time. You'll never be expected to work outside of your comfort zone. You wouldn't pass school if you were afraid of heights anyhow.