Is it acceptable for a poorfag to pay around half his income to rent and utilities?

Is it acceptable for a poorfag to pay around half his income to rent and utilities?

I know the general recommendation for rent is usually around 30% of income

But for us poorfags, that's too measly for anything other than a shit hole crack studio apartment

While on the lookout for a better paying job

>I know the rule is not to do something
>but it's *me*, you know? So I can do it, right?

What do you think, my man

You either need to find a way to make more money, or find a cheaper place to live (check Craigslist, rooms for rent).

If half your money is going towards the roof over your head, then you are either making a shit income, or you are living way more luxuriously than you should.

But hey if you make your bills every month, and are happy then that's what matters most.

I'm about to do that I'm tired of living in the ghetto just because it's cheap I much rather spend more to live comfy and be zen

$9 an hour, the jobs don't pay well here

But as a temp, if I go permanent in the new future that's a few dollar raise

It's in the perfect area for me as a student

*near future

Won't be luxurious living, but good enough and maybe find a gig for the weekends

Good luck user

Bump

Do you have room mates?

Also you should live 30%. Move into a cheap place even if it is ghetto if you want to be rich. 50% is crazy high, especially when your job isn't guaranteed to be permenant.

Also how are you making only $9 are you not marketable at all? What's your age?

No roommates, 20, early engineering student

I mean, I know it's much More than 30% , but I'm also actively looking and my current job looks good on a resume for practical experience. After some time I should be able to find something that pays much better

I'm not all that marketable at the moment, but working towards it.

I'm also pretty frugal

Also, I live with my parents

Your parents are charging you half your income to stay there thats fucking cold blooded man

No? I'm not paying anything.

The plan is to get my own place

Sure I don't pay rent here but the independence and privacy will be worth it

These are my monthly expenses and I live with my parents still
$35 for internet
$200 for fuel
$263 for car insurance
$400 for rent
$60 for cellphone
$958 total

I feel like if I moved out then I'd be fucked with living costs. I take home 500 bucks a week after taxes making $15ish an hour.

Ride a bicycle and get a prepaid phone plan or a cheaper plan. Look into Republic Wireless.

I work construction, I cant ride a bike to work. Jobsites always change and I live in Canada I should mention.

Also I have a pretty cheap cellphone plan since most are over 100 dollars a month at minimum.

>$263 for car insurance

What do you drive?

2016 elantra, I totaled my last car and insurance fucked me because it reset my status to "new driver". Hopefully next year it wont be as high. I was paying 163 a month on my last car(2005 sunfire)

not op but i drive a 2004 chevy cav and its 300 a month for insurance...car insurance on Canada is retarded

Ride a bike as much as possible. Every time you use your car you should feel bad. Trips to the grocery store or whatever should be done on a bicycle.

>2016
You fucked up. Sell it and buy a used car. Visit Veeky Forums sticky.

No. Try harder.

You can't get a job that's over $9 an hour at your age? That's very pathetic. Obviously you are not trying hard enough.

Also you are not "frugal" if you spend 50% on rent when your making only $9. Look up the definition of frugal.

You can get room mates or move somewhere else. At 20 you can still stay home with mom and dad. It's like you hate money.

You seem to be all talk so far. You have the personality of a failure.

>Sure I don't pay rent here but the independence and privacy will be worth it

>Sure I don't pay rent here but the independence and privacy will be worth it

Lol you don't need privacy you're an engineering student it's not like you're getting laid

Not being a dick, just telling you how it is. Stay with your parents for as long as possible before you're done with school, trust me man. Been there done that.

A used vehicle would change my rate by maybe 20 dollars.

Do you not do groceries once a week? we purchase groceries for the entire week for 5 people in a single day. That's not going to be done on a bicycle lol

depends on reason. i pay half of my income as rent right now because i live in a very expensive area doing a highly specialized job that is strictly for resume broadening. if you do this job it's kind of like a right of passage to the upper tiers of my profession.

Stock up for months at Costco or similar. Meat should be bought from the local butcher.

Did you get a loan to afford the 2016? How much did it cost? How much interest? That $20 would be offset by being able to invest the money you're spending on the car.

i paid cash for the car 16k

we do stock up at the local butcher but its also more expensive because its better meat than walmart shit. We eat a lot of food. its not uncommon to go through 4-5 lbs of ground beef in a single meal. I'd say groceries costs 350 a week on avg for 5 of us.

imo its not acceptable.. might as well burn your money. I own my own property, but if it ever comes to push n shove, I am never renting. Would rather live in a Trailer Park

Question:

Is the 30% rule before or after tax?

I make 100k a year before tax and my rent is 2.5k a month

After tax. Your rent is way too high.

Damn. Oh well. Soon I'll have a second source of income that should cover at least 2/3 of my rent by itself

Nigger you wasted money

You could have bought a $5000 car and have $10k to play with

>spending more money
>to be zen

Lol. Im not sure you know what that word means user.

show me a car thats 5 grand that would last me 15 years with minimal repairs

Hell no, go live on a couch.

Lots of toyotas and hondas could with proper maintenance. I'll never understand poor people's fascination with blowing their money all on vehicles.

That's called nigger rich user.

>currently driving a 2000 nissan maxima with no issues (bought used for 5k approximately 5 years ago)

How many Kms do these vehicles have on them?
plus you gotta pay 13% tax on used vehicles too.

Lol do you toe a wagon to your bike?? Wtf man you cant haul groceries on a bike unless you make like 10 trips. Who has time for that?

>toe a wagon
>toe
Lol

Where do you live that its 13%? Not here

100k/yr in CA is poorfag mode
>tfw prob won't earn more until 40s or sign life away in marriage contract

Lol this
An hero, Op

Ontario, Canada plus when I bought my car, our dollar value was fucked hard compared to the US dollar.

:(

I make 30k after tax and my rent is 15%. Am I in the sweet spot?