MemEx / Meme Exchange general

Emberfire
Emberfire

Old thread hit bump limit by people arguing about race or something /biz/thread/1357338#p1357338

Pic related is a design I've done for the homepage, feedback appreciated.

For anyone that missed the first thread. I'm building a fantasy stock exchange that automatically values memes (and boards) and you can invest fake money into meme stocks. Lots more details in previous thread.

All urls found in this thread:
https://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
https://discord.gg/nN3gf
https://github.com/jterrace/pyssim
LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

I like it, maybe change the image next to welcome to the Egyptian guy sitting next to a computer sending meme magic into the skies

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@Emberfire
shit just got real!!!!

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

@Emberfire
Great work. Looks amazing.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@LuckyDusty
On my to do list, haven't got round to creating a vector graphic of it yet. Do you have a clear image of the set of symbols? I know there's an enlarged one floating around.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@Garbage Can Lid
No, sorry m8, in on my phone

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Emberfire
I will invest all my keks in spider e pepe. maybe some in knee

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@Emberfire
Holy shit that looks good

Spamalot
Spamalot

Amazing

Well meme'd my friend

Bidwell
Bidwell

I'm interested

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

not real money

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@CouchChiller
This. I'd actually pay to invest in memes.

girlDog
girlDog

@CouchChiller
@Stark_Naked
That would bring up legal issues I think

massdebater
massdebater

@girlDog
issues can always be solved though

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@girlDog
Host it with some bulletproof webhost.

Doesn't matter if there's legal issues if they can't touch you.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@girlDog
What legal issues?

Isn't it just an exchange where you can purchase fake stuff which have real world value?

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@Emberfire
look, breh, cops get shot, yes, but anti police rhetoric from BLM has been ramping up. cops getting killed today and eating glass. and you think it's a normal every day thing. #baka

TreeEater
TreeEater

@Emberfire
Are you already compilling the list of memes? If so, could you give us some insight into it?

Firespawn
Firespawn

@girlDog
How fucked is that then?

Lunatick
Lunatick

@Emberfire
I remember lurking and seeing that people were giving you shit for the idea a couple weeks back. I think it's actually a pretty fun idea, and /b/yards would eat it up. How does the program work?

hairygrape
hairygrape

@CouchChiller
@Stark_Naked
@massdebater
There are too many legalities involved in handling real money. I don't want to deal with it and not interested in doing it anyway and hiding.

@TreeEater
I want to launch with a small set of maybe (20?) and grow from there. Open to suggestions. I thinking '>tfw', 'it's happening', 'redpill me...', 'really makes you think', 'kneepads'. I need a more diverse set from boards I don't normally visit.

@Lunatick
I think a few boards will have fun with it.

I have some scripts running on the server at intervals (maybe every hour). They analyse every board, check if the memes on the exchange are present, how often they appear, did a mod post it, does it lose or gain value from appearing on specific boards, how many replies it got, and a list of other factors all go into assigning it a value. People then invest by speculating which memes they think will go up in value.

There are safeguards to make spamming slow boards not profitable to discourage shitposting.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@Emberfire
Not a huge fan of Raleway as the de facto font, but maybe I've just seen it too frequently. Otherwise it looks good, I really dig the color scheme.

@Garbage Can Lid
Check out the fonts at https://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
They may or nay not be packaged for web use, but at least Aegyptus should support the hieroglyphs you're looking for.

Emberfire
Emberfire

@hairygrape
What about "shill", "install gentoo" and "chad" (one for all boards and /g/ and /r9k/)

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Burnblaze
that ID
very nEET

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@Emberfire
Fuck I should steal this idea

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@CouchChiller
Too late
meme.exchange

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Emberfire
all three are good choices.

iluvmen
iluvmen

@Stupidasole
Looks great, you have an est on when you'd actually have it all working?

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@iluvmen
Lol I aint OP, I'm just reposting the link

hopefully soon, this would be cash

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@hairygrape
I need a more diverse set from boards I don't normally visit.
turkroach or t*rkroach (although often people will just say "roach" so it might be hard to track)
t. Alberto Barbarosa
t. (in general)
___ can/can't into space
All /int/ memes

There's also "big guy" and "for you" which I think are universal.

askme
askme

@hairygrape
I've had a change of heart about meme-listing and voting. I still believe there should be a group of organizers who oversee the general listing of memes. (The Shitposting and Expletives Commission)

In addition, there could be benefits to periodically holding "elections", wherein members are presented with a list of memes to be added to the exchange. Perhaps the SEC would curate that list, and they may have some veto ability (to prevent overly-broad/forced memes), but it would certainly enhance interactions between the exchange and its community.

Methshot
Methshot

@askme
And that's how you get from a simple free trade zone to the bureaucratic nightmare that is the EU

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@Methshot
The easiest way to tell a computer to recognise a specific phrase is a sort of code called regular expressions. They can match anything, nothing, and everything in between. For an example, the regular expression

/(I|you) f[ea]ll for the .+ meme/i

instructs a computer to look for things like ">tfw you fell for the nvidia meme" or "how did it feel to fall for the SSD meme?"

The important part of this example is the rather innocuous ".+" bit. That tells the computer to match absolutely anything that's more than one symbol. It could be a single space, or the word "AMD", or the entire phrase "GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it...".

So to make the exchange recognise memes, something like regular expressions needs to be used, because simply looking for single words in posts can be easily manipulated.

Now if meme listing is a direct democracy, the userbase would be at least slightly happier knowing that they determine what is and isn't qualified to be traded. But what profit-seeking user wouldn't suggest and vote for a "meme" that consists solely of that all-seeing ".+"? It would match each and every post, the value of that "meme" would skyrocket. According to the exchange, literally everyone posts it.

On the other hand, defaulting to curation means some people potentially biased administrators need to monitor every board evenly to detect new memes, which is obviously flawed in its own right.

What's the right mix? I can't know for certain, these particular circumstances have never occurred before, but I think that periodic open voting on a closed carefully-curated list is the best bet right now.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@Ignoramus
Correction: The initial (I|you) clause wouldn't work on the second example phrase. A more apt regex would just be

/f[ea]ll for the .+ meme/i

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@Supergrass
@Ignoramus
You didn't account for variations such as
falling for the "meme" meme

farquit
farquit

@hairygrape
Couldn't you do cryptocurrency then? It's not real money.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@Evil_kitten
It was only supposed to be an example of how a regex could be exploited, but expanded to match your case, it would instead be

/f[ea]all(ing)? for the .+ meme/I

If anything this proves why having community interaction is beneficial.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

How will fresh memes enter the database?

Skullbone
Skullbone

@Emberfire
looks awesome bro. can't wait to get in on the action.

shorting "eth is a mess"
long on all things trump

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Carnalpleasure
IMO obviously

Firespawn
Firespawn

ywn go back to 2012 and invest in Baneposting

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

bro if you sold stock in memes youd be fucking rich even at 1 cent each. grow some balls.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@hairygrape
just make a cryptocurrency

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

@iluvmen
Weeks, not days. It's a big project and I want to implement as much as possible and make it secure / scalable / properly tested etc.

@Crazy_Nice
What's the ___ meme? what board is it from

@askme
@Ignoramus
Regex expressions are fine. What I don't want though is users to have to suggest regex's. I would rather they voted or picked a meme and me or whoever can work out the implementation. Don't want to raise the barrier to entry.

@Carnalpleasure
Picked by me initially or selected based on votes afterwards. So they can have an IPO.

@farquit
Depending on the country and the law, it can be real money and laws are currently being drafted to regulate it in others.

@StrangeWizard
It won't involve real money.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@Lord_Tryzalot
What's the ___ meme?
It's just a blank space. Usually there is a country's name there.
If you mean the whole sentence, the original is "Poland cannot into space," which I'm pretty sure originates from Polandball. It's from Krautchan and you can see it on /int/.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

I'm going to list some /tv/ memes that should make the cut:
Big guy
4 you
Bane
JUST
JUST FUCK MY ___ UP
uno farto @3:17
what did he mean by this?
what's next for her career?
buttered popcorn
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTHAAAAAA GET THE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR
MOM'S GONNA FREAK
ABSOLUTE MADMAN
FRIDGEMODE
HAIL SNYDER
MAN OF MEAT
BAT OF MURDER
MAN OF MURDER
STICK WOMAN
again.
Jenna Fischer.
Absolute kino
Kinocore
Flick
Joint
KRAGER (a tripfag who is a nigger)
wtf now I hate __________
GORILLA JONES
LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (Jaons Bourne)
Balding cavill
cunny
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Personal Falcon
No Singles Policy

she will never crush your balls
why even live

skeleton
that'll be $____
Anvils
Anvilposting
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH TONY SAVE ME
ANDEROOOOS
Brendan JUST
ALIMONY
YOURE GONNA GO TO WAUUUUUUGH
MMMMMMMMMM BOYS!!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ywn lick her toes
kill me right now

Will post more if I remember

_____ = anything goes here

Booteefool
Booteefool

@Lord_Tryzalot
Does the scraping script generate prices yet and, if it does, what kinds of prices are you seeing?

girlDog
girlDog

What about adding "fpbp/first post best post" and "/thread" to the "memes"

King_Martha
King_Martha

what if the memes are determined by the users
and your scrap bot starts looking the ones where most users put their money

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@Crazy_Nice
I'll pick out the most recognisable of these for the initial list, others will be incorporated later. I visit /tv/ on occasion so I know the context for most of them.

@Booteefool
Sort of. I'll post an update tonight though with some figures. I'm considering ditching mongo though and using potentially PostgreSQL you might be glad to hear.

@King_Martha
Bit too easy to game and I don't want too many stocks to flood the site at once. I'd rather users voted on memes to be added to the exchange and then the meme had an "IPO" of sorts. There was talk of giving [s4s] some kind of special privilege to add a meme to the exchange of their choosing. Stuff like that isn't decided yet.

Have been quite busy but tomorrow and Friday I should have a lot of time to dedicate to making some more progress.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@Fuzzy_Logic
I am indeed happy to hear that Postgres could be taking over, especially for user account data.

Any news towards a trello/slack group?

askme
askme

@Fried_Sushi
I keep hearing conflicting things about storing time series data in SQL db's so still not 100% sure what I'm doing but most likely dropping mongo at least for the main DB anyway. You most likely know more about this than me what are you thoughts on it?

I've decided to go with the one you didn't like ha. I don't want to use slack as I use it for my normal work and don't want to mix them up and trello is just for tracking things to do so I have set up a Discord channel. Like slack it works through the browser too so people don't have to download anything if they don't want to.

If anyone wants to join they are welcome to:
https://discord.gg/nN3gf

iluvmen
iluvmen

@hairygrape
Make it open source and I will implement image recognition using standard libraries. I will collect the training images myself. That is you want to make an image scraper. It doesn't have to permanently store any images though, just for recognition. Image recognition gives probabilistic meme similarity scores of images. Straight reposts and resizes would be 99% accurate. Edits of pepe and wojack would say something like 76% Pepe, 85% Wojack.

You make the scaper, I implement the recognizer. What do you say?

Methshot
Methshot

@iluvmen
This is under consideration for phase 2(3?) at the moment although details are scarce. I've been researching image similarity algorithms. I want to check their accuracy first. Pepe images alone are extremely diverse. I can imagine, but it needs testing, that it would be very easy to trick an analyser into thinking an image was pepe because of the nature of it being a very simple illustration with large blocks of the same colour. Interested in your thoughts on the feasibility though?

The intention is to open source the whole project eventually.

Falling asleep now so will pick up further tomorrow.

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

@Emberfire
MEME MAGIC IN THE MAKING FOLKS

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@Methshot
An image similarity approach was not what I had in mind, but it's probably the easiest to implement.

I was thinking off a straight up object recognition approach. I would need to train a model on a labeled dataset of meme images and variants.

MPmaster
MPmaster

@iluvmen
@Methshot
@Boy_vs_Girl
Right now, I wouldn't even consider anything more computationally-intensive than fuzzily matching color pallets, because there is a hell of a lot of content to be crawled on Veeky Forums (~800GB), and nobody can justify paying for AWS g2.8xlarge instances for a project like this

farquit
farquit

@CouchChiller
@Stark_Naked

I've posted this before, I am seriously considering creating a real-money Meme exchange. We'll use ethereum to create new crypto coins and just create a mirror of a bitcoin exchange website. People will create their own tickers, buy into fads and trends, lose thousands. It will be a mad-house.

Who's with me?

JunkTop
JunkTop

@farquit
Are you the guy from last thread? If so, good luck selling thin air.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@farquit
Your idea is a retarded pyramid scheme but I have to admit you might make money if you make it crypto-based.

idontknow
idontknow

@hairygrape
I wonder who's behind this post

@farquit
@Supergrass
literally "meme coin"

likme
likme

Nice we are really doing it

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@farquit
By all means go ahead.

@idontknow
I wonder what board is behind this post? Really makes you think.

takes2long
takes2long

@MPmaster
True, however I was under the impression we would only scrape and compute hourly on only the most popular boards. This should bring down computational cost. Does anyone have an idea how many new images are posted every hour to a popular board like /pol/?

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@takes2long
the most popular boards
The intention is to scrape every board of which there are 70 including things like /trash/ and /qa/ etc.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@GoogleCat
That's a pretty data intensive task. Better make the scraper efficient too. An image similarity approach would be more efficient than a object recognition predictive model. Prediction itself wouldn't be so expensive, but feature extraction will.

I propose going with Structural Similarity Image Metric: trivial to implement since there is a fully functional python module: https://github.com/jterrace/pyssim

and a gorillion other implementations.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Crazy_Nice
Jenna Fischer.

Fucking kek'd

Im investing all my money into that

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@Garbage Can Lid
It's not too bad. Majority of boards are quite slow regarding number of new posts per hour. The scraper is being written in a way that stores the latest reply from each thread so that it only downloads threads that changed since the last time the scraper run (no more than page 1 on a lot of boards). I'm also potentially limiting it to the first few pages of each board under the logic of memes slowly heading for page 10 shouldn't be counting towards the value as the posts containing them are too stale.

King_Martha
King_Martha

What is your opinion on /vg/? It is a pretty different board, and thus will outperform most other boards despite being objectivly worse. Depending on how this can be implemented, don`t you think it would be better to break /vg/ down into its invidual threads?

Evilember
Evilember

@King_Martha
/vg/ is objectively the best board

Soft_member
Soft_member

@King_Martha
despite being objectivly worse
Why don't you hand yourself?

5mileys
5mileys

@King_Martha
Outperform it how? Because it might turn out to be worth more than other boards but if it doesn't even go up in value then it's not a good investment. It's ability to increase in value is the only factor that would make it worth investing in. If it just stays consistent then it makes no difference what the price is.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page