How do i find a decent job as an engineering student?

How do i find a decent job as an engineering student?

It seems like every indeed posting for related jobs require at least a couple of years of experience

Where do I even get this work experience?

What kind of Engineering, where are you from and what is your highest degree?

Mechanical, highest degree? I'm in school for a bachelor's, have a couple if years left

You could take a cue from this guy:

user, pls.

Well, i happen to study Mechanical Engineering (in Gemany) aswell, in an university tho. Almost everyone i know is going for a Masters Degree afterwards and it shouldn't be too hard to find a job after you graduate.
Do internships or go to job fairs maybe.

Bump

I thought engineering would be a major I'd have to worry least about finding work

There is no such thing. A degree is just a piece of paper. What matters is what you've done and who you know.

You should apply to those jobs anyways.

Employers just put the "we require X years of experience" in, hoping to bring in people with experience. You should apply for a job like that, and the worst thing that can happen is that they say "Not interested." Some employers really need a person to fill their quota, and you wont know if thats you unless you apply.

yeah this.

Networking is key to any career except for maybe MIT 4.0 advanced math and statistics honours programs that are a grandmaster at chess

that's what I've been doing,

for the technician jobs anyway

bump

Please user don't tell him that. That other OP is a fag. Nothing against fags but he's in denial.
Find a CO-OP engineering job. You go to school for one semester and work the next semester. Ask the office of engineering for these jobs.

i'm currently taking evening classes and working 1st shift full time

so the co-op might not be entirely necessary, although the more specific classes may not be offered in the evening

Bump

>have a couple of years left
An internship is literally a tool to give you experience before you graduate. Do them. Your school should have a career fair/center. Use those.

Come on OP. You're regurgitating the experience meme before you've even graduated.

i guess you're right user

>he fell for the stem meme

College degree is work experience until you match it
Intern is work experience
Use connections from college to get work/internship

These are the only things that make college better than learning online

Where do I find these connections? With the professors and other people running the engineering department?

Anyone who has more experience than you. Profs of course, but look to people further along in their degree than you as well, who knows who they know or work for/with or are related to. Worst case is you waste 3 months hanging out with a douche, best case is they're the favorite grandson of a F500 CEO willing to do you a solid.

A college degree is not work experience.

Really research any companies that you intend to work for. Make sure management isn't a bunch of high payed dumb fucks that just watch cat videos all day on youtube and then sell employees out. The stories I could tell :(

Its very important to try to get in with a good company right away. Those bad companies will just suck the life out of you over BS and ruin your love of the profession.

ITW heartland laid off all the engineers, didn't have a single engineer for two years because no one would work for wages that low. They finally hired an H1B just so they could say that they have an engineer on staff again.

company is probably going to go out of business some day, but corporate keeps feeding them money for now.

They also don't uphold promises about severance packages and will try to fuck an employee any way they can when being laid off.

ITW Heartland went from a glorious company to a real turd in a couple short years.

Stay away from ITW business units, especially ITW Heartland, that shit was ridiculous.

if its "2 years work experience" or less apply any ways. Perhaps trying staffing companies as well, many employers utilize them.

For every applicant that lies during an interview, there's a hiring manager who tells 10 times as many lies.

My favorite question to ask, as a programmer, is if they have code formatting rules. If a place won't show them to me, I walk out of the interview. Most places have them and foist them on your a few weeks into the job. Of course the "senior" people never have to follow them and their projects are incredibly behind because they'd rather nitpick on how you did/didn't capitalize an acronym than whether the application works.