How to Portfolio

Hey Veeky Forums, seeking sound advice here.

I'm 21 and I'd like to invest some of my worth.

I have 18k in two different saving accounts and 4k in two different checking accounts. One each for two different banks.In one of those banks, I'm also investing in this fund, with 1k as of now, adding 250 every month.

morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F0GBR04AHT

My salary is 3600$ per month of which I spend around 1700$ usually.

Now, what should I do? It feels like I should invest some more. If yes, how much should I keep in savings and should I simply put more in that fund?

I though about investing 100$ in BTC to see how that goes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=blAOPCNCszM
cbsnews.com/pictures/top-10-richest-billionaires-world-forbes-2016/
forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2015/10/11/buffett-soros-icahn-americas-20-richest-investors-and-how-they-got-here/#2ff5fe2039bf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Berkshire_Hathaway
investopedia.com/articles/investing/060216/3-reasons-why-buffett-suggests-index-funds-average-americans-brka-spy.asp
marketwatch.com/story/warren-buffett-to-heirs-put-my-estate-in-index-funds-2014-03-13
blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/05/02/warren-buffetts-epic-rant-against-wall-street/
gobankingrates.com/personal-finance/rich-warren-buffett-age/
imgur.com/a/oF3Ap
barrons.com/articles/4-managers-who-consistently-beat-the-market-1452318197
youtube.com/watch?v=hrulcIBe3Z0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>$VOO
>$BRK.B
>$BND

Load up on those and use the remaining money on something you like

enough of this shit.

its all about GOOG now.

>Too big to fail

I love Alphabet but let's be real, for the long term it's a risk.

How about the split between savings and investment?
80:20, 70:30 or even more equal?

Or should I simply keep a certain amount in savings, like 15k, and invest the rest?

lol. you don't understand how business works.

you honestly are gonna sit there and tell me , that alphabet is a bigger risk than say a jp morgan?

what do you say everytime u want to look something up online?

let me jp morgan it?

I do know how business works. A search engine is cute but Yahoo's a search engine and its stock is what, $45? Alphabet is approaching 1k. It's a potential bubble.

Everyone on Earth with a smart phone or WiFi connection knows what Twitter's worth and yet it can't sustain profitability and most of its "new accounts" are spam

>21
>18k in savings

The fuck?

no. you don't understand what google does.

thats okay, its not for you.

What?

Good, I'll keep $VOO and $BRK.B and bonds in my long-term portfolio and you can gamble

btw i dont know why u are shitting on yahoo.

their stock has performed at a +250% rate over the past 5 years,
they just partnered with verizon , and they own yahoo finance.

big internet is incredibly flexible and resilient.
they have the big data and connection infrastructure that is nearly impossible to compete with , unless you are regional or niche, on their worst they are advertising on steroids, and more.
you should look into it.

youtube.com/watch?v=blAOPCNCszM

if i could shoot you in the head , i would.

some of us live in actual 1st world countries that pay teens ~$20/hour

>I though about investing 100$ in BTC to see how that goes.
That's probably a good idea. It's the George Soros approach: finite, contained experiment and then if your thesis is true, go balls deep.

I'd say no more than 30% in savings. It's really about your appetite for risk. make sure you can have access to that cash though, even if you miss out on the interest payments, because that liquidity gives you flexibility to take advantage of opportunities.

isn't Alphabet's CFO like a former JPMorgan CFO?

Thanks, really appreciate your advice.

As for 30%, is that still a good rule if my overall wealth is only 25k?

It just feels like I should keep an emergency fund in case of job loss that covers 6-12 months of expenses, even though I'm basically unfireable.

As for BTC, can you trust coinbase?

coinbase is good for buying BTC, but store the BTC on your own machine. Online wallets, even coinbase, are always susceptible to hackers.

Give me a list of people who have outperformed the market over 30 years.

okay.....

>isn't Alphabet's CFO like a former JPMorgan CFO?

i'm not aware of that, but,obviously, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

They are completely different businesses and business models.

>cbsnews.com/pictures/top-10-richest-billionaires-world-forbes-2016/

These are people who actually own a large chunk of huge companies they created.

Half of these stocks haven't even been around for 30 years, these people aren't investors outside of Warren Buffet.

Some of these people are hardly 30.

We're not talking about company owners, we're talking about who to invest in.

Your emergency fund should depend on the local job market. If it's a decent job market, 6 months of living expenses will suffice and you should invest everything else.

Are you retarded or illiterate?

>We're not talking about company owners, we're talking about who to invest in.

so invest in your own company?

or do you think you're going to get stellar returns without a diligent , meticulous attention to your holdings?

im gonna tell you a secret.

buying and selling stocks IS your own business
and the cheapest most liquid business you can be in.
why do you ask?

What the fuck are you talking about.

Give me a list of people who have outperformed the market over 30 years through investing.

You as an individual can either invest in an Index/ETF or a Stock(s) of your choice.

Give me a list of people who have done the 2nd one who have beaten the market.

Warren Buffet has, that's one example. If you're so confident in your ability to invest in specific stocks rather than a market index then give me examples of people who have done the same and have beaten the market.

Nobody is going to give you sound advice on here without asking 10s of questions. Either use Google for free or pay for professional financial advice.

forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2015/10/11/buffett-soros-icahn-americas-20-richest-investors-and-how-they-got-here/#2ff5fe2039bf
its not luck.
its they know something you dont.
and when anyone tries to tell you your pride kicks in and you get really belligerent and think you have nothing to learn from billionaire investment strategies.

its all simple math tho. its so funny tho, cause your always gonna be subject to the temperament of the market, instead of taking advantage of the market .

warren buffet sais it all the time, but its easy to miss or not really understand.

so i will tell you when you are ready to politely discuss and listen , instead of belligerently shit post.

Why do you think I'm saying it's luck?

The probability of an investor beating the market is improbable. Even Warren Buffet recommends VOO/Bond split.

You still haven't given me a list of people who have beaten the market.

Buffet, Soros and Icahn are all fundamentally different types of investors.

There is a reason Buffet has outperformed the other two, because he thinks about the long term. Which is why he is an advocate of Index Funds.

Icahn just fucked up on Apple where Buffet was right.

Again. Give me a list of investors who consistently have beaten the market over a period of 30 years.

There is a reason passively managed funds outperform actively managed ones.

>warren buffet advocates index funds

LMFAO

you dont know SHIT about warrens teachings and strategy, and only hear what you want to hear . thats obvious 2 any student of buffet.

point to one index fund on this list.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Berkshire_Hathaway

admit your ignorance.

if you want to change it. your going to have to be willing to listen too people who know more about the math and science of the market than you , instead of waving ur trust fund dick around and tooting your index horn.

Why do you never give the list i'm asking for?

Stop moving goal posts.

I said he advocated it, not that he actually uses them.

investopedia.com/articles/investing/060216/3-reasons-why-buffett-suggests-index-funds-average-americans-brka-spy.asp

marketwatch.com/story/warren-buffett-to-heirs-put-my-estate-in-index-funds-2014-03-13

blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/05/02/warren-buffetts-epic-rant-against-wall-street/

Please at least read what I'm actually saying.

i get it.
he said one thing. yet does another.

which are you gonna follow.
what he does.. which has made him the richest man alive???
or some cherry picked articles, that advocate a strategy that has historically never made ANYONE a billionaire.

also what list?, i have linked you like 3 different lists so far...

Do you even know what I mean when I'm saying "the market" what do you think that means?

Give me a list of people who have outperformed the market over 30 years.

The first fucking link you sent had people who own companies who haven't even been around for 30 years.

The point is, you're not at his level. Stop being so arrogant that you think you can literally emulate the best investor out there today.

Do basic maths.

S&P 500 = 9.3% per year growth 1996 - 2016

If you invest in an index your wealth will grow somewhere around that per year. Eventually you would be a billionaire providing you consistently add in additional wealth to your initial investment.

Warren Buffet actually was hardly worth anything for a LONG period of time compared to where he is now.

It's a long term game.

The article isn't advocating the strategy, they're literally reporting on what he said.

Do basic maths and you can see that anyone earning a good wage that grows over a long period of time can become a billionaire through index investing.

Don't think I'm saying this is the only way. I'm not.

You just came in a thread and started pulling up bullshit about GOOGL and spurt shitting about Index Funds and BRK.B being bad without any real arguments and saying GOOGL good because it's good then link a video expecting people to eat up whatever you say.

also our parents don't dump us out on the street once we turn 18. It is normal to work full time for a couple of years while still living at home and saving $1500+ per month.

College fees aren't extortionate. You move out of your parents house with a degree and big savings and are set for a comfortable life.

really?

then why doesn't every tom dick and harrry with a mutual fund or a corporate matching 401 k

a billionaire ?

10 % returns on your money per year is not going to make you a billionaire.
unless you put 10 million in new capital every year then MAYBE .

thats the math.

btw. and correct me if im wrong
but VOO happens to be fairly over weight in Alphabet stock .

Index funds aren't that old.

They're not used because people don't understand that they generally can't outperform the market themselves.

Google rate of return on Superannuations, 401K etc.

Generally they perform far worse.

Acitvely managed funds in the US are uncommon because they don't make the company any money on fees (VOO only has 0.05% expense fee). That's why.

They aren't very profitable for companies to even have them for customers.

Also, no. You don't need that much money.

In 1986, at 56 years old, Buffett became a billionaire.

56. Fucking 56.

Look what Warren started out with, not very much. He built it over a long period of time. Just apply lower rates to it and you'd still become a Billionaire.

gobankingrates.com/personal-finance/rich-warren-buffett-age/

>Acitvely managed funds in the US are uncommon because they don't make the company any money on fees (VOO only has 0.05% expense fee). That's why.

I mean ****Passively**** managed

GOOGL isn't even in the top 10 holdings of VOO. That's not to say it's bad.

heres is a situation where i have an extremely ripe harvest.

imgur.com/a/oF3Ap

i need to do a massive picking ,
im not gonna completely sell off all the stocks obviously. im just going to do some healthy pruning, to give myself the cash on hand, instead of leaving it on the voliatile humps of the stocks.
so i can invest in new opportunities.
before the irregularity and cyclical nature of the market corrects these profits.

this is the sort of the an index fund just wont do for you.

as a result , you think about the principle of compounding money, you are missing an INSANE opportunity cost, in a very low risk situation.

yes. warren buffet didn't do this by investing in index funds friend.

if you believe that you are either delusional or just plain haven't done the research .

perhaps
you don't know what overweight means in relation to a portfolio?
investopedia it.

I said to change the method and lower the annual % because you're investing in indexes.

Also over the last 30 years. It's 27% per year from SP500 index.

I didn't say it's not overweight, I said it's not even top 10.

allow me to reiterate to you ,

the average investor DOES NOT implement the strategy i am putting toward to you that would require them to buy into losing aspects of there portfolio, which most people , as the market demonstrates time and time again are much too squeemish to do , but something buffet advocates almost as principle.

you should really listen to all the talks buffet does on youtube.
theres only like 4-5

you have a very flawed, selfserving understanding of how he invests.

Give me a list of people who have beaten the market over 30 years.

Why are you making assumptions that I think Fundamental Analysis, common stocks and uncommon profits etc. is bad?

I literally do the same thing that you're spouting, but you literally said "enough of this shit" to BRK.B Warrens company.

What do you think I think he does when he invests? What the fuck are you talking about?

You came into the thread and started talking shit about BRK what the fuck

i never talked shit about berkshire.
i started this thread. berkshire isn't an index fund.

see, you have a flawed understanding of how berkshire works. you haven't done the research.

i will give you more lists of ppl who have beaten the market over 30 years. .... AGAIN. ...

imgur.com/a/oF3Ap
barrons.com/articles/4-managers-who-consistently-beat-the-market-1452318197

when you differentiate between investors and companies, that is flawed,

investors buy and sell assets just as a company does.
many companies, BERKSHIRE for example

buys and sells almost exclusively stocks as business assets.

you have a flawed understanding of the world of finance.

stocks are just representations, of pieces of business assets and expected profits.

thats another buffet fundamental..
before we even continue talking you should
get on my level research wise , so we dont have to keep reiterating the same concepts.
youtube.com/watch?v=hrulcIBe3Z0

You literally said "enough of this shit"

Why do you think I think BRK is a index?

>barrons.com/articles/4-managers-who-consistently-beat-the-market-1452318197

Thank you. The first time you actually gave me something.

Great so you understand that this link says the number """""4""""" right? 4.

Fucking

okay?

My point is that it's really fucking hard to beat the market over 30 years.

and this fucking link i can't even fucking read because I have to login

I literally think you and I agree but you're not reading what I'm typing.

can you point me to any thread or any where where i EVER slagged berkshire or buffet?

nearly everything i know and advocate is str8 out of buffets playbook.

Dude I agree

>when you differentiate between investors and companies, that is flawed,

So long as the company is 30+ years old so it has a good record. Maybe you can change that number around for newer tech companies.

You never linked me investors who beat the market until literally this post.

My point is it's hard, not just for normal people but for fucking Fund managers too

no we don't agree.

because i know its incredibly simple to beat the market.
by playing the market.

by taking the top 20 stocks in your index, and managing them yourself thro there ups and downs you can probably beat the market by

100-1000 percent

im gonna say it till you hear me.

Yeah okay you're either Indian or baiting.

Bye.

its only hard if you don't know the strategy i am advocating.

all these people have beaten the market.

the fact that they have done it with their own companies is irrelevent, and even an detriment, considering actively managing/farming your portfolio IS a company, and a far more liquid one.

i gave you proof and said if you didn't like it to leave. don't know why you wasted your time this far if you weren't going to listen, cept that you are retarded, regardless of your race.
you know there are plenty of white ppl born retarded right?