University

18 y/o male here

Is it wort going to University?
What did you study? Are you successful?
What are the best courses to choose?
Should you study something you don't really like, but can make great bucks in?

I got a degree in Gender Studies, it has always been my passion.. I'd say go for it, user.. If you love what you do and make money from it :)

Nice meme

I'm planning to go into Finance because I want to be this guy when i'm older.

Acceptable degrees:
1) something in engineering with good job prospects
2) CS
3) something in math / finance / economics
4) PhD in a science

otherwise everything else is garbage.
Am I missing anything? I exclude doctor because of the long hours and shit work despite the honor and pay that comes with the position. I also exclude Lawyer only because a lot of law fags have been complaining about no jobs recently.

Also, I studied chemistry. I am doing a PhD right now so its pretty cool that i get payed to do research, live in a completely new place, meet a ton of new people, and get the notoriety of having made it this far i guess. In that way I'm successful. There are sub-fields that are very successful in terms of job prospects and many that arent. i was smart and researched this extensively before coming here, so i predict at least moderate success right out of school. every student that has graduated from the lab im in has gotten a really sexy job.

Best courses are what i posted previously. science up ONLY if you are planning on doing a PhD. Shit sucks complete cock for chemists/physicists/biologists if you dont have a higher degree. the other suggestions above it are really good these days.

I wouldnt study something too far removed from your passion, but say you really love pure math but want a good job? go into engineering. do your fucking proofs on the side. dont be retarded and you can end up in a big ass house one day doing all the proofs and theorems you want.

University is worth it if you don't get a shit degree and either you:

1. Go to a prestigious school

or

2. A school with a Co-Op program.

Co-Op is where you go to school for an extra year, but you work in jobs related to your degree. Really pads the resume.

business administration, CS, or economics

Yeah, it is worth to go to university. A lot of people here will bullshit and tell you otherwise but unless you are planning to start a business or work into wagecuckdom there isn't any other choice. Yeah, and there are people who got into their fields/industries without a college degree but those people will get capped eventually because of it and college degrees + experience will become the golden standard.

Basically for undergrad the top is generally Accounting/Finance, Nursing, IT, CS, Education, Mathematics/Statistics, possibly Economics or Science if you plan to pursue it beyond the undergraduate level.

>What did you study?
Accounting and Information Systems
>Successful?
Yes, it got my foot in the door asap...before I even graduated.
>Should you study something you don't really like, but can make great bucks in?
I think there's enough choices that you may not want to do that but there is some truth in studying something that you can somewhat enjoy. If you're in CS or Accounting and can't fucking stand coding/programming/auditing/tax prep you'll end up burning out fast than the next guy who finds enjoyment in his work.

Implying the enviroment he got rich in still exists
53% of finance jobs will be automated by 2030

Marine Transportation, as close to a trade school as you can get while still getting a degree. Essentially 100% job placement +60k starting easy.

uni is definitely worth it. Without a degree I wouldn't have the job I have now.

I did a bachelor of commerce (3 years) then a masters in engineering (2 years). First job at 24 at Deloitte making $80k a year was pretty nice. Had to work my ass off to get my gpa up though, and my current hours aren't pretty compared to my father who works a comfy 38 hrs/week as an IT Director. Am I successful? I did get a private school education, and I did go to the best uni in my country, so I was half expecting a good job at the end of it. I purchased a rental property at the beginning of this year if that is anything to go by.

I think an engineering/IT/STEM degree coupled with a commerce component are the most valuable qualifications right now, but I wouldn't get into these areas on a whim. So many people drop out of engineering courses ( I know this because I did one year of undergrad engineering at another institution before transferring) because it's hard, very technical and will be imminently boring if you aren't curious and don't want to learn.

in summary; uni is worth, engineering/stem has good future prospects, but don't pursue if you aren't driven. If I hadn't gone to uni I would've started my own business, which I'm planning on doing over christmas. Maybe that is an option for you instead of studying.

I have 1 more year of my marketing license. I now realize how silly of me it was to pick this specialization in my country,so i ask you,what masters should i go for next year? Im thinking either Financial Risk management in engish or International trading and transportation management wish courses in french

>Yes
>Master's in Supply Chain Management
>Courses you think will be an asset to your carreer
>Don't do shit you don't semi-enjoy doing. You would regret it later

think about what the market will be like in the future, and whether any current trends will determine your job security down the road.

Also do some more research on each of the specializations you have picked, and decide which of those you'll enjoy the most, or which of them interests you. Don't immediately decide to do one thing based on pay.

Thing that kills me about Engineering particularly, some engineering specializations are just glorified tool inspectors, electronic workers, computer techs, etc, stuff like thermodynamics and all that hard mathematics will probably never be used. The idea is that engineers actually design things often at their jobs can be a complete farce. I haven't met any engineer through my life yet that actually is a designer or project worker/manager, etc, seems like they all just inspect tools, electric components, etc.

more often that not the designers/developers are incredibly experienced professionals (10+ years in the field). There is no way to subvert this. One way to quicken that process though is to get a masters in engineering, which more and more people are choosing to get nowadays (opens more doors and generally higher pay off the bat).

The people that 'inspect tools' are electrical engineers, not related to IT.

Major in Finance, minor is Supply Chan Management
Will I get lots of money?

>I am doing a PhD right now so its pretty cool that i get payed to do research,
at the end of it, will your professor be able to connect you to a decent job afterwards or are you looking forward to postdoc hell

networkings is just as important as studying for a degree networking is what will get you a job and real money
so if you do go network network and network

What about physics?

Similar to math. Solid jobs in the area + chance to work in high finance/quant finance simply because of the skills you pick up from that major.

Very much this. I got my friend a job at an accounting firm simply because I knew the owner, guranteed him an internship and favourable opinion by HR.

SCM, why? Do a proper minor if you are going to do it. Accounting or econ are much better for money, but, if you actually want to work in SCM then go for it, minoring in it is the right move

Absolutely Comm/Engineering is the strategy. a few Family members inin IB, alot of recent grads are Comm/Engg and are saying that Comm/Engg is replacing the Comm/law. If you want to work in high finance you do Comm/Engineering or just go to a top Engineering school.

For you U.S people, Commerce is just a business degree with a major like accounting, finance, econ, HR etc. So Business major (typically finance, econ, accounting)+Engineering.
I think this is accurate.

alot of recent grads in IB* are comm/engg