Is LinkedIn really necessary to have if you are on the job market...

Is LinkedIn really necessary to have if you are on the job market? I managed to get a job out of college and then a promotion through hard networking, but everyone seems to stress the importance of LinkedIn. I don't really do social media other than Veeky Forums if that counts, so I don't really see the point.

Veeky Forums isn't really social media.
Social media is typically a way for people to communicate with people they know and who know them, like a social situation. Veeky Forums is an anonymous imageboard, which takes the entire identity part out of the equation.
From what I understand LinkedIn is essentially a networking platform for work. It allows you to hold everything in an online account like Facebook does for ease of access. The whole point of this sort of stuff is ease of access.

It's a medium through which people socialize.

>Is LinkedIn really necessary to have if you are on the job market?
Yes. Idiot HR people seem to think it's important, so by definition you kinda do too.

haha HR, yeah they don't do anything do they? other than tricking job seekers into sending them documents to shuffle and keep their hands busy.

I honestly feel that way about the HR professionals I worked with. I remember one getting vehemently angry with me about not attending her ~professional development~ seminar where she taught how to call a hotline if you were feeling depressed.

HR is a joke. I can't imagine a use for HR if we didn't have all this social justice bullshit going around. In fact, that's what HR is, bullshit. Hah, look at that.

No. I got a job right out of college without a LinkedIn. It's just a giant circlejerk like Facebook.

I like linkedin just so I can keep in touch with previous colleagues in case I need references, or see if they're working anywhere cool and could get me in.

linkedin is necessary for scrubs i guess

I get job interview offerings because of linkedin every week (even I'm still a student). They find my account, check out my portfolio (I'm developer) and contact me. Also tons of HR messages, but I ignore them.

LinkedIn is vital. Make sure you have one. The two things employers ask me are "show me your github" "show me your linkedin"

I tried to politely decline because they took the time to contact me.

In general, HR and recruiter are bags of shit. I had this one recruiter call me for a $60-70/hr contractor position so of course I was onboard. I sent my resume over and followed up a couple of days later and he went silent on me. I'm not askin to be coddled but at least have the decency to tell me that the opportunity fell through.

Any employer that needs to scrape LinkedIn for candidates is not one that you would want to work for.

>create a linkedin
>no connections because I'm a pleb and don't know any professionals
>job history is a bunch of dead end blue collar shit
>some school projects
>everyone else is some volunteer and president of 3 school organizations and has internships at fortune 500 companies

into le trash I go

I looked at the jobs sections on Linkedin and it was literally the same shit that's on Dice, Monster, Indeed, etc. So I'd imagine it's the same recruiters calling you regardless of where you upload your resume.

Jobs that aren't advertised

github is imo only asked for programmers isnt it? finance, accounting and other business related majors don't really need them

>Talk to HR on phone interview
>they literally don't know anything about the job besides the job description that's posted online

Like holy shit. If I told them to just "read my resume" when they asked about me, they'd lose it.

multiple people who interviewed me for the job i just got looked at my linkedin. i also had multiple recruiters come to me with legitimate job leads that i would have never seen. even though they fell through, you miss every shot you don't take, as they say.

like, it may not have been their main reason for hiring me, but having a complete and professional linkedin is another way for people who might give you money can learn about you

and the beauty of a static internet profile is that you can present yourself in the best light possible with no chance for your bullshit (which we all have) to leak through and ruin it.

I got my job and a promotion without it.

Same desu, I even got multiple calls asking to set up interviews and turned them down straight up because I already had my job lined up and when I asked the salary the ballpark figure was less than what I was offered.

That makes sense, and is probably why I would set one up.

This happened to me in my phone interview as well. I get that they're just supposed to screen you but I wish they would do more research on what it is they're hiring for before doing the phone screening. Thankfully my other two interviews were with middle and senior management.

I guess this is kind of true but I don't see what's different from LinkedIn and the resume I send to employers. My resume has everything relevant to the position and if they have questions they can call me.

It's still more focused on thematic discussion and dank memes rather than personal interaction

even /soc/ is mostly about rating dicks