Why are iPhone app developers so hard to find?

Why are iPhone app developers so hard to find?

I posted a job for a mobile developer and received 60 applications, all Android (mostly pajeets).

Only a couple did iOS and they wanted £60k, when my budget is £30-40k.

How the fuck am I supposed to build a multi-platform app? Gonna cost me £100k in total for just Android and iPhone.

Other urls found in this thread:

rentapajeet.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wtf? 40k for a shitty app? What you trying to make?

I'm hiring a dedicated app developer for my company. It's not just the initial build but continuing to add features and maintaining the app as we go along.

were they pajeets from pajeetland? they might specialize in android because india is so poor that everyone uses the $10 android phone. only the brahms and top caste have iphones.

do you really need a full-timer? could you not pay someone part-time or a retainer? do they have to be in your city or remote is ok?

shouldn't be something you can't do 'cross-plattform', at least in the beginning

To develop for Android you only need $25 and a potentially free piece of hardware.

To develop for Apple its something around ~$120 a year, and they "require" you to do it on a mac (You can get your licensed revoked if they catch you using something else).

The barrier for entry is much higher for Apple and therefore the amount of skilled labor is much lower.

(And personally, learning Objective C is a pain in the ass compared to Java)

60k? Are you sure it's not 6k?

>require a mac

Holy shit it's like they're just giving business away to google

learn how to negotiate
you never, ever want to put your offer in first
let them do it
then, from where you actually want to be, go lower the amount they are higher.

The reason is Java is still extremely popular for desktop apps and that's what you use to write Android apps with. Objective C or Swift codebases outside of iOS apps are non existent.

But anyways, please read the rest of my post OP, I know it's long but I want to help.

I was hired as the sole developer to maintain the iOS and Android codebases for a really important app, right out of college and I had literally never written a single line of Java or Objective C in my life. Before me there was a team of 3 guys on it, but they were typical pajeets writing unmaintainable shitty choice. After a few months, I was basically rewritting everything, and doing a damn good job apparently because I got a nice bonus even though the company had suspended them since they had a really bad year.

tl;dr Look for a good developer FIRST, and good "insert languague here" coder second.

This.

furthermore, devs are in demand right now and will be for the forseeable future. Talented developers can sort of pick and choose what projects they want to work on and a salary of £40k just isn't competitive.

Talent doesn't find it interesting to work on some C.R.U.D. app for an MBA-type who brings little value to to the project (no offense), especially when there's no equity offered

Another thing, you may want to rethink wiring native apps entirely. Where I work, we've started transitioning to a hybrid application.

Essentially you write the code like a web app in JavaScript and HTML and you can "compile" it to an executable app you can release on any mobile app store. You will have access to all the main features still like push notifications, databases, location, network utilities, etc.

You do sacrifice some performance doing hybrid apps, but you save yourself having to coordinate releases and maintenance for two separate code bases, and wasting time doing parity changes. You also just need one developer ( a WebDev basically ), and it's easier to replace them. JavaScript performance is actually pretty damn good even on mobile phones, and recent updates last year removed HUGE obstacles making hybrid apps unviable. Unless you're doing a really mission critical app or something like a game, you'll hardly notice the difference between a hybrid app and a native one.

I don't know if you're a developer yourself, or if you've got web devs already on your team, you might want to ask them to look into apache cordova, or telerik which is a licensed framework I am personally using.

Final thought, if you're going to hire foreign devs, get eastern europeans. In my experience they're way better coders than pajeets for the same price.

FIRST off, don't pay someone anymore than 10k for an "initial build"/prototype unless there's liability that you will get your money back it turns out to be shit.

My Indian said he had a team of developers, little did I know he was a one-man team.
>App that was supposed to be done in 40 days
ended up going over 180 days.

>Bugs everywhere
but at least it works

Guy didn't even make the website version of the app because he thought I was "kidding". Ended up having to iFrame it into my wordpress site to make it look decent.

You guys are hiring real programmers off of sites like upwork? I took one look at those sites and noped out

Why are you trying to hire a full time developer from RentAPajeet.com? Use the proper channels and pay for a recruiter if you have to.

I'm a 26 year old developer and I wouldn't put my socks on for £40k OP. If you think 60k is expensive wait until you hire Pajeet and your project goes 12 months overdue and is full of bugs. Then you'll find out what expensive really is.

>rentapajeet.com/
Holy fuck that domain isn't taken yet

what's even worse is that Pajeet.com was taken just a month earlier

depends

I've got a pajeet developing an app right now.

Recent cs grad, do I stay away from developing if I'm average at programming

Good luck with your gamble

Most programmers are average, don't worry about it. You won't make decent money if you can't code so what the fuck was the point? Get better at it.

should've hired vladimir bruh
sure you might have a backdoor to the Kremlin, but at least your shit would've worked