What went wrong?

What went wrong?

4th largest company on the planet worth worth 458.22 billion, and theyre 12 cents away from their all time high set at the peak of the dot com boom.

define "wrong"

federal government imposing anti trust laws on them

They were too late to acknowledge that smartphones and tablets would be a major market and spent a bunch of money developing and buying technology for shitty Windows phones and couldn't get traction with the Surface even though it is a good product.

What they've done right though is predict the importance of the cloud and they've been very successful with their cloud platform, networking and database products. They've realized they can't milk Windows and Office forever and they're moving in the right direction under Nadella and the stock price reflects that.

POO

poo in it

OP found his niche for a condom company

Windows 8

>4th largest company on the planet worth worth 458.22 billion, and theyre 12 cents away from their all time high set at the peak of the dot com boom.

4th largest company on the planet worth worth 458.22 billion, and theyre 12 cents away from their all time high set at the peak of the dot com boom.

surface is a multi-billion dollar profitable business. define traction?

>theyre 12 cents away from their all time high set at the peak of the dot com boom

you're not factoring in inflation, retard

>surface is a multi-billion dollar profitable business. define traction?
isn't it still getting killed in market share by apple and android? i haven't seen the numbers in awhile, but i'd guess their late entry into the tablet market cost them quite a bit even if sales are picking up now.

surface is newer than either product, how is marketshare a fair comparison? microsoft is the 4th largest company in the world. you act like its a catastraophic failure for a software company's first foray into PC hardware... considering its a multibillion dollar business now that makes more money than twitter and snapchat combined, i'd say youre wrong and dumb

Nothing at the moment. Nadella's doing a phenomenal job. They've certainly had some stumbling blocks (Win10 privacy concerns, an allegedly plateauing interest in the Surface tablets, etc), but they're recovering nicely. I'm actually something of a fan again, and I haven't been that since pre-ME.

Agreed 100%. Nadella was the right pick for the job in that regard. Their phone offerings are a joke.

What's really going to be interesting is how they develop as a company from now on - they seem to be somewhat content having a huge percentage of the population get Windows 10 for free, and I'm wondering if that's a harbinger of some sort of personal-data-as-a-product sort of move.

>surface is newer than either product
i'm saying they were late into the game because ballmer didn't believe it was a profitable market. if they had started competing earlier, they'd be in better shape. they're playing catch up now and that is hard to do when people have developed some loyalty to ios and android products.

poo in loo. period

Buying linkedin

I've seen many people in my current semester classes use surfaces so far. I think it's picking up decent traction. I'm at a tech institute, however

>get a monopoly
>stop bringing out new products

>be in bed with law enforcement
>find that more important than your costumers

>think of a great cloud platform
>forced integration with the OS against popular opinion

>bring out a new free service
>bait and switch

trips confirmed

i see surfaces at many starbucks. theyre out in the wild. its not like windows phone. this is a real success story.

>tfw you own a windows phone
>tfw 0 useful apps & terrible UI

a-at least I didn't have to pay for it r-right guys

windows 95/98 was good altho a security nightmare
windows millenium was a mistake
windows 2000 was good
windows xp was at first a mistake but sp3 was usable weird shit.
windows vista was a mistake
windows 7 was awesome
windows 8 was a mistake
where is windows 9???
winrt was complete and utter disaster
windows 10 was a mistake

it's a hit and miss for them, but lately miss mostly.

Doesn't windows 10 have ads and track your shit like Google does.. probably why they're giving it away for free

But they're going into the cloud and enterprise space instead of the IoT like Google and Apple

I honestly think they might buy blackberry one day with that linkedin acquisition