Who else /fuck it i'll be a doctor/ here?

who else /fuck it i'll be a doctor/ here?

5th year radiology resident reporting

Honestly, everyones going to give you shit but I am almost at the breaking point. I tried opening my own business, lasted 3 years then tanked, then tried restaurants, library assistant which is all right but very low wage, data entry, college researcher. I once had an internship at a College of Pharmacy and loved it. Everyone is saying how college and especially Pharmacy or med school is overpriced bullshit but honestly I can't do math for shit and so I don't know if MBA-Finance is a waste of time for me, maybe I should just go to try to be a Doctor/Pharmacist and use PA as a backup plan.

It's a noble thing to do, no matter what anyone says, as long as you're doing it for the right reasons. You're paid well enough to where if you're smart about your finances, you'll never have to worry about money. You have many practical skills. Preserving life is an important thing, more important than making apps for smartphones or whatever. I wasn't out of medical school until 25, and people like to say that you "waste" your 20s to become a doctor, but it's not like you just work all day long and fast-forward to 30. You still have a life just like everyone else. It's just that half of them go home to their parents after university and stagnate until they find any job and you go off to medical school. I make about $60,000 annually as a resident, by the way. I'll be making ~$350,000 annually at 30, working 45 hours per week. My debts are fairly low and will be paid off within the next year.

The whole "you waste your 20s and half of the doctors wish they didn't go into medicine at all" thing is bit of a load that only boring people whose parents made them do it fall into. You don't waste time when you become a doctor. You'll never regret becoming a doctor if you chose to do it yourself(unless you picked Internal Medicine). That's ridiculous.

Oh darn, my parents are so ashamed of me being a doctor. They wish I was a construction worker! No girls like me, they wish I was less responsible, made less money and worked in something more menial, damn it! My work is so boring and nobody appreciates me, I wish I went into accounting!

It all sounds ridiculous because it absolutely is. Medical school isn't as hard as everyone thinks it is. You just have to study a lot. That's it, and if you actually wanted to become a doctor, it's not that hard to do.

>I wasn't out of medical school until 25, and people like to say that you "waste" your 20s to become a doctor, but it's not like you just work all day long and fast-forward to 30.
i'm 26 and most likely still have 2 years of a phd left ahead of me. if i graduate, i probably won't be able to find a job to boot just like after finishing my bachelors.

both are in mechanical engineering.

>radiology
Planning to be the interventional kind. 3 questions:

What's the average salary?

Is there any reason to worry about outsourcing or stability as a whole?

Are you happy with finances/your job?

Thanks for your time.

I don't understand people who go into medicine for the money.

You'll be in school for more than 10 years, all the while cleaning old people ass to support yourself. After you finish school you'll be doing the same exact thing for the rest of your life, which is digging into people's disgusting bodies.

It just seems like a shitty deal to me, you stay in school for most of your 20s, just so you can a disgusting and quite boring job afterwards.

Have fun microdosing all the sketchy drugs you're handling every day, with no way to control it because its in the air. Why every pharmacist looks high

already said, it's ~$350,000

no. radiology is huge

yes, it's very cool and I help people stay away from surgeons.

You not understanding doesn't mean anything, though.

Reminder that being a doctor is one of the worst ROI's out of any field

Cool thx

>You not understanding doesn't mean anything, though.

I don't think you understand my point.

Posts about med school don't belong on this board, as it's got absolutely nothing to do with business or finance.

Already been there, done that. Almost done with my residency (gene therapy).

>This faggot shit again

I get that it makes your pee pee hard that you can present what appears to be a prima facie argument that teachers make more money than doctors, but ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Why do you do it for free?

This thread has some good points so far.

Yes, it is a very long path and you should be absolutely committed and into it before pursuing it - the rate of depression and prescription pill addiction is notoriously high amongst healthcare workers and it's because of ease of access and because people who say "fuck it" and go to med school tend to regret it.

Pay is excellent, risk is high however but if you aren't a fucking idiot you'll generally be ok. The issue I see is that most doctors will be up close and personal with the unwashed masses and I honestly can't think of anything worse - additionally, one solid complaint can get your registration removed and there goes 10 years of hard work for nothing.

Here in Aus, there is also an employment problem at the lower spectrum - you are required to do a program through the hospitals here but there is limted funding and therefore limited spots - so many graduates are in limbo for a long time before they get a job.

Still, a great career option if you are passionate about it - if not I would steer clear because you will not find happiness in it.

As a patient who had a lot of shitty docters this thread triggers me

I'll accidentally order you a 200 mSv dose of ionizing radiation when you come for your next head CT scan, giving you an increased chance of a brain tumor in your lifetime. Oops! Just practicing defensive medicine user!

Radiography has no way of causing cancer at the single doses we administer with exception of the most severe procedures, by the way.

I would have done it already but I just dropped out of college because I just couldn't take more debt and I am 36. Like I said *almost* breaking point. I think im going to take one more year, maybe try and see if I can handle Finance and then IDGAF its either be a pharmacist at 46 years old, or suicide.

Law Degree seems like suicide.

Aiming for a residency in psychiatry because I am incompetent and would probably end up accidentally killing someone otherwise.

I dated a medical student/doc for a long, long time, so some outside perspectives from being close to her:

It's rough as fuck. Most medical students and residents work extremely long hours and have very, very little time to have a normal life. This isn't particularly dissimilar to finance or law, of course. That put a lot of strain on the relationship and ultimately killed it, mostly because she - like her friends, and pretty much other MD student I met - was bad at handling the life + work combo.

The unfortunate reality is that many professions in the medical field - even the prestigious ones - are phenomenally cash-poor, as infers. I'm trying to help one MD start a new charity and he can't even get his buddies to scrounge together like 20-30k in donations. I'm already making MUCH more money than him, and I'm 10 years younger and significantly less "known" in my field.

Being a doctor is a noble thing, and I respect people who pursue it, but I can't imagine doing it myself. Frankly, at absolute minimum, hospitals need to fucking pay residents more or something. It's not the prestigious cash cow most college freshman seem to think it is.

I fucking hate first year college freshmans who decide they want to be a doctor to "make a lot of money and lol help people" fucking vapid cunts. I hope they all die.

This infographic is so true!!!

Every doctor I have met drives a 1980's Honda Civic, yet every teacher I have met (I am a teacher FYI so I meet a lot) drives either a Mercedes or BMW

>observed no one ever

Just got accepted into med school,how do I become a cardiologist? Should I go internal then get a fellowship? I don't want to do invasive.

What do you do user?

Lawyer at a firm. I worked and studied roughly the same amount she did, to be honest.

Trying for it but it's ridiculously difficult in Canada. Will probably end up going to the Ireland if I can't get into the US, which is also hard because I count as an international student.

>Doctors who buy million dollar homes and luxury cars are in their mid-40's after they've paid of all their debts but are still working 60+ hours a week in their practices and have absolutely no time enjoying and of the things their wealth can buy

Which province you in?

Stats/MCAT?

No doctors I know work more than 55 hours per week, and those are the surgeons. I work about 45 hours per week.

BC.

84% adjusted GPA for UBC, MCAT score is coming in September. My EC's are pretty good however as I just graduated pharmacy so have over 850 hours of medically advising patients ensuring therapeutic needs are met and was president of a club.

Blame the Jews

It's mostly the Chinese's fault though.

>mfw doctors post on Veeky Forums
>mfw my doctor might post on Veeky Forums

>who else /fuck it i'll be a doctor/ here?
Pretty much exactly my thinking,when I decided to make the leap. Already spent almost a decade working as a lab rat in the pharmaceutical industry, saved up a modest nest egg but nothing else to show for it. No GF, no prestige, no Atta Boy from relatives.

After the grueling processing of getting into med school and grinding through it, my youth is pretty much gone. I'm in my late 30's and a still virgin -- haven't really lived much at all. Drive a beat-up compact from the '90s, eat cheap food, live in a cheap rented room. Paying off $120k loan as fast as I can (but making good progress), it's actually a lot less than some classmates due to having some savings beforehand, and a modest amount of assistance from parents.

I'm now a third year Family Practice resident, it's the low end of medicine but it's still medicine. Realistically, if I hadn't done this I'd probably have wasted the last 7 years playing MMOs and shitposting. Might as well spend those same years but finish the ordeal as a doctor.

what steps do I take to become a doctor assuming I have no training in biology at all at 18, out of school?

>Completed four year BSN program and graduated as a Registered Nurse
>Completed one year of med-surg and currently working EZ psych job in the VA
>Make $80,000 a year with excellent Federal benefits including 401k, about 4 weeks vacation a year, sick time, and a pension
>Work three 13 hour shifts so I have four days off a week
>Spend all my free time and money investing in stocks and traveling the world on weekends off
>Laugh at the residents who come every July being wagecucks and fucking everything up

You're below even a second year medical student.

>thinking a 2nd year med student actually knows anything when all he has is some A&P and shit-tier pharma under his belt.

Face it, all they have is fucking mechanics and no practical. No one would fucking risk his license listening to a 2nd year med student.

>It's a noble thing to do, no matter what anyone says, as long as you're doing it for the right reasons.

yes, and no one does it for the right reasons. This is why doctors do not deserve respect.

>I just want to help people ^.^
>They really need you in africa or some other 3rd world country, the pay isnt that good though
>umm...no lol ^.^

>Invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and decades of your life learning some of the most difficult skillsets in the world
>Not wanting competitive salaries that compensate you for that

Nice bruh. I was on that 10 hours 4 days hype. I feel like a low stress job, 13 hours 3 days would be even better.

4 days weekends sounds p insane senpai.

I fall into the "parents made me do it" category, and therefore did bio undergrad. I hated every moment of it, and eventually said "fuck bio". Meanwhile I was spending every waking moment doing what I love, programming. Now I am about to work for a international company as a software dev. For me, leaving the stressful and fucked up pre med path was the best decision I made. You gotta love (or at least tolerate ) what you do if your gonna suceed. Good job to you though for your achievements though user.

This is what I'm talking about. Doctors who think this way deserve no more respect that a plumber or grocery clerk. glorifying the profession as a noble thing instead of a cashgrab like every other profession is annoying.

Private practice is where the money is at.

Too bad they're all getting bought up by bigger organizations.

I work with both large hospitals and community clinics through a top 15 system. Four year degree, I make more than attendings and have no debt.

I love how your post number ends with the Vancouver area code. I think you have a good shot depending on your MCAT score. I am still in undergrad doing a BA (lel) but will be applying to McMaster next year (only wrote CARS section and got a good score) and then UBC and some other schools after I finish my undergrad and rewrite all the sections of the MCAT. Wish me luck although I am probably fucked.

Judging by the replies so far, residency is wagecucking and you get those insane salaries when you actually start practicing, right?

>traveling the world on weekends off
how long are your weekends?

I'm 25. Is it worth going to need school if I take post Bach for classes? My mom is a doctor fag and I know many of them. I had a 3.8 undergrad from a top 20 us school in environmental science.

By the time my peers actually start "practicing" I'll have 800k in the brokerage account and will never need to work another day in my life. Medicine is a huge giant meme.

he's some kind of DC white-shoe lawyer

Lel. That is funny. Why'd you do a BA? I would have done something different but fucking UBC had per-requisites when I was thinking of going in which ruined my GPA.

How did you only write CARS? They don't really only let you write a single portion.

Long story short I fucked up high school majorly and didn't have the classes to get into a BSc program. Since I didn't want to be a NEET wagecuck I decided to go for a BA as it's better than nothing. If I don't get into medicine I will probably do an MA and PhD.

Pros are coursework is easier so higher GPA. Hot sluts in almost all my classes.

I literally purposefully failed all other sections but got a perfect 132 on CARS. I really hope I get into McMaster. I would like it even more than UBC since it's a 3 year program.

I'm so fucking conflicted about going to med school...

Right now I have to choose between staying with my family, gf and friends and finishing my Masters degree or moving abroad (eastern Europe) and giving med school a shot.
A Masters, would basically ensure a comfy career / salary, but sitting in front of a computer for the next fourty years sounds horrible to me.
To afford the first two years of med school however, I would have to incur around 30k - 60k € of debt (before I can continue my studies in my home country) and have a huge risk of failling and ending up with nothing.

I had bascially nothing to do with medicine until I started volunteering as EMT some years ago (I'm 25). Now it feels like it's the only profession that has some meaning instead of 'earn more money'. I don't mind hard work or long hours, if I have the feeling of having some purpose...

Same here. I need a purpose which is why I am trying to get into it.

M3 here going into rad. I wanted to make a chunk of change and the body is fascinating. This thread is total shit from laziness ego defense. Specialty private practice is an excellent income, it's completely underreported for good reason.

You're making it.

What's everyone's opinion on NP's? Supposedly they make 25-80% of what a dr makes but they go to school 20% the amount a dr does.

Is telemedicine growing in the big medical care networks/groups? I only really see it done at low tier clinics

Concierge medicine I thought would be exploding in growth with all the insurance shit people lie have to deal with now, do you think it will grow?

At 28 I have finally realised I want to study medicine and become a doctor. Both my dad and my sister are doctors, so I know what I'm getting myself into, but the prospect of not being done until I'm 36 or 37 even is daunting. Pharmacy would be an alternative, but I think medicine is more my thing. Would you do it, this late in life?

Also, I have no debt and where I'm from, uni doesn't cost anything, other than the time you lose not earning money.

btw, I am not Bill Gates, even though I am sometime mistaken for being Bill on this board.

The later you start the later you finish. If you want to do this, do it now. There will be human trials of anti aging biotechnology medicine by SENS in 2021. You can extend the years you lost in the future. Go and do it now.

Why would you purposefully fail a $300+ dollar test? 3 year program would be nice, didn't know McMaster did that.

You can always go Carib or Ireland.

Would a pediatric doctor working as a hospitalist earn on the lower end of the doctor pay scale? Is this one of the least prestigious medical focuses?

Because my only goal in my third year is to apply to McMaster (which only requires the CARS section and Casper).

350 k?

Are you fucking stupid?

Also thought about Ireland. Might do that cause I have an EU passport but if I did that then I'd probably stay there and not come back to Canada.

A lot of my old high-school teachers had their own businesses on the side that helped earn extra money. Considering how easy it is to be a teacher and how much more difficult it is to be a doctor being a teacher just seems like a lot better deal.

Medical student in the UK reporting in. Have another 2 years until I finish and then I'm planning on sitting the USMLE and moving to the US.

Planning to get most of the necessary components out of the way before I finish med school but it costs a load of money I don't currently have and just getting by is already tough as it is. Looking like I'll have to beg my parents to give me a loan unless I can figure out some way to make money as a student which won't hinder studying too much.

But hey, it'll be worth it in the end, r-right?

If you screw up your first attempt on the USMLE you are fucked. With the rapid rise of DO schools and more med schools in the USA popping up, it is extremely competitive for IMG's. It's even worse in Canada. But good luck. Please pick specialty you know you will be competent in and don't jump into something for the money.

Yeah I know - plus there's no way I'm spending all that money the USMLE twice.

Yes, closer to the time I'll analyse the speciality and state intakes of IMGs again to help make the decision, but I have a fairly decent idea of the areas I might want to go into and haven't looked much at the money. I find it's always very obvious and somewhat depressing when you find somebody in medicine for the wrong reasons.

I did briefly look into Canada - as you mentioned, it is very competitive for IMGs and is one of the few places I think is probably harder to get a job in than the USA.

I hear doing some electives in the USA and getting letters of recommendation can boost your chances as an IMG but don't take my word for it.

Interesting. Kinda ridiculous that McMaster does that in addition to a three year program. Do they have a good reputation?

>tfw anxiety everyday waiting for MCAT scores and to see if i'll get in

Pls don't make me go to Ireland so I have to become an internist or family doctor.

McMaster has a great reputation. It's actually quite interesting there is no suggestion that an MCAT score is a good predictor of how good or bad someone will do in med school. The CARS section however tests ones ability with logic/critical thinking and is said to be the most important. U of C for instance looks at the entire MCAT but weighs the CARS score much more heavily than other sections.

No you're right, plus I need letters of recommendation from doctors registered in the USA so I'll have to do some clinical rotations there anyway

Just out of interest, why is internal medicine regarded so poorly?

it's just not a good gig. you're paid on the lower spectrum. you had to go through about 6 years of training post undergrad, and the day to day tasks are just lame.

Can you specialize as an internalist?