Is it illegal to spread devastating rumors about a company that you are shorting?

Is it illegal to spread devastating rumors about a company that you are shorting?

Like say I have a 1000 social media bots saying that the company promotes pedofilia or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes slander is illegal

What if you use proxys? Do the feds even give a fuck about some penny stock?

It is illegal in most countries, but you can circumvent that by planting false information, even vague, and then overreacting.

But, as a bussinessman myself, i kindly ask that you first try to solve this problem with discussion before ruining his fame.

I just said it was illegal, not whether it would attract law enforcement attention or not.

>is libel illegal
Of course it is you fucking idiot

The feds will care if 1000 bots are spreading blatant lies about a no-name company because that is obvious market manipulation.
Even if they don't, the company itself will sure as shit come after you for tarnishing their reputation and you will probably be bankrupted.

Freedom of speech my ass

Yes.
That's why you should short a company that has actual problems you can shout about all day long.

Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to violate someone else's rights.

>Make article on popular blog accusing someone of being a pedophile and posting all of their personal information

MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH

>Enter movie theater, start yelling "FIRE FIRE BOMB BOMB FIRE!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs

MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH

>Walk into crowded area or bank, yell "I'M GOING TO KILL EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH

>Walk up to big burly black people and yell "FUCKING NIGGERS"

MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH

>Call police department and say there is an armed robbery and kidnapping occurring at someone's home or store falsely

MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Yep, that's freedom of speech. At the moment you put a rule against one, you give an opening for more to happen.

But freedom of speech doesn't mean no reaction. A guy yelling you get his ass kicked by bystanders or security of the place.

So do you believe freedom of movement, guaranteed by the UN charter on human rights, allows you to squat in your neighbor's house?

Exactly

So you're free to say it but it's illegal and you will get sued, how is that different?

Nothing wrong with calling niggers niggers.
Double points if they attack you and you shoot them in self defence.

>Veeky Forums legal advice
1919 supreme court
Try reading a book newfriend

Very edgy

go back to /pol/ if that's the only thing you got out of the entire post

Hi ledditboy. Are you angry?

what is legal is finding an exploit, shorting the stock, then publicly exposing the vulnerability

must be something big that can't be easily fixed like a hardware issue

>>Is it illegal to spread devastating rumors about a company that you are shorting?
>as a bussinessman myself, i kindly ask that you first try to solve this problem with discussion before ruining his fame
Yes, always try extortion first. It's only polite, and you save on broker fees.

Yes, but it is extremely common.

One good rumour and a large enough short and the rumour looks, at least on the surface, true.

To add to this, however, It is important to recognise that idiotic base rumour mongering the likes of paedophilia accusations, etc, are likely to be seen through immediately and followed up with actual criminal charges.

A clever rumour that a destabilised foreign country within which a company has a stake, may be on the verge of civil war... That is a crafty play.

>>Make article on popular blog accusing someone of being a pedophile and posting all of their personal information
legal
>>Enter movie theater, start yelling "FIRE FIRE BOMB BOMB FIRE!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs
legal
>>Walk into crowded area or bank, yell "I'M GOING TO KILL EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!"
illegal
>>Walk up to big burly black people and yell "FUCKING NIGGERS"
legal
>>Call police department and say there is an armed robbery and kidnapping occurring at someone's home or store falsely
illegal

>libel is legal
>inciting panic is legal
Veeky Forums is a great source of legal advice as always.

>>>Make article on popular blog accusing someone of being a pedophile and posting all of their personal information
>legal

Slandering people by accusing them of a serious crime almost certainly resulting in them getting fired, having trouble to find a new job and possibly reprecussions like violence or other crimes being committed to them due to their full info being posted?

>>>Enter movie theater, start yelling "FIRE FIRE BOMB BOMB FIRE!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs
>legal

How is causing a public panic and disturbance legal?

>>>Walk up to big burly black people and yell "FUCKING NIGGERS"
>legal

Didn't say it wasn't but you'd get your teeth knocked in

It's called
"Pump and dump "
And you will go to prison

Jesus.

The traditional exemptions to the First Amendment are slander/libel, obscenity, fraud, incitement, and speech integral to criminal conduct. These are all very clearly and narrowly defined, except for obscenity, but that seems to be on the way out so whatever.

In order to meet the standards for slander/libel, a statement has to be 1) a statement of fact 2) that is demonstrably untrue 3) and results in material damages.

So OP starting up a "news" site that claims Microsoft has a sex dungeon filled with six-years-olds is libel.

> is running a short and distort illegal?

lol

Pump and dump is the opposite of this; pump and dump is spreading false positive news while long the stock. This is short and distort; spreading false bad news while short the stock.

I'll take "Market Manipulation" for a butt-raping in prison, Alex

If you let third worlders spread it for pea nuts and no trace to you it still is illegal.

>Like say I have a 1000 social media bots saying that the company promotes pedofilia or something.
You sound too retarded to pull off this kind of thing anyways, accusations of pedophilia are not subtle and will make anyone write you off as a crazy person (or persons)

you're too much of a joke; the SEC wouldn't even come after you because it'd be obvious that the rumors are dumb and unfounded.

how bad does it it feel to fail at being a criminal

>At the moment you put a rule against one, you give an opening for more to happen.
yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope