Education

So what does Veeky Forums study or did studies in ?

Tax Law guy here

Wow, where is that picture from?

I studied finance at MSU.

oh Hearst Castle.... wow

economics. it was ok, didnt require that much work to get good grades which was my main requirement

Computer science.
Hoping my lack of internships won't cuck me out of a job at Google or Facebook.

Econ and CS at boson college rn

High-school teaching, then a master of education, then dropped out of a PhD coz too much effort

double bachelors in history and economics

Hearst Castle is goofy

Have a degree/diploma on Logistics. Now went back to school to study retail managing.

a shit major and a ok major

why ?

I studied history right out of high school because it was the only thing I found to be congenial and achievable. After two years, I figured out that my favorite parts of history were the financial crises and economic collapses. Some other history nerds told me to study econ, and after I made a killing in bitcoin (2013 was a good year) with lessons learned from the Californian Gold Rush and the Great Depression, I figured it was doable. Volunteering in history work made me realize how shitty the opportunities were. It's much better as a hobby or at the Ph.D level.

Either way, user, I graduated with two degrees debt-free because I knew how to apply for scholarships/FAFSA and not waste money like a faggot.

And who are you to call majors shitty or okay? There are lucky art majors that make $70k starting and screwed engineers that can't catch a break. Majors aren't so important. I picked what was congenial and applicable.

Womyn's Studies

I work in sales now, kind of

I always wanted to be a hs teacher and eat teen muff

>And who are you to call majors shitty or okay? There are lucky art majors that make $70k starting and screwed engineers that can't catch a break. Majors aren't so important. I picked what was congenial and applicable.

this. I graduated with a finance degree and 2 years later I'm an IT consultant...

It will

>who are you to call majors shitty or okay?
>Volunteering in history work made me realize how shitty the opportunities were

well?

Studying economics at Alabama, plan on either going into accounting post grad or else studying tax law, also at Alabama. Any suggestions between the two, lads?

Physics undergrad, not sure whether or not I should go for a physics masters/PhD because fuck me physics is hard, I'm considering going for something that's easier to be good at like electrical or mech engineering (any engineering discipline really). I've also considered software """"engineering"""" because I'm a pretty accomplished programmer. Then again physics is interesting as fuck and my biggest dream is to come up with or innovate upon some technology with the potential to make it big and I feel like physics is the best path for that. Basically I want to be a technology entrepreneur/investor.

However the areas of physics I'd like to focus on (nuclear fusion, electronics, space propulsion and worst of all; potential applications of highly theoretical physics concepts like quantum gravity) seem very far-fetched and I don't want to invest my entire life into advancing a technology that's not gonna become commercially viable for another 100+ years anyways, if ever.

Maybe I'll just live off of passive income from software that I've written. I'm basically doing that now but I'd probably feel like a waste of a human life by just NEETing it up all day.

U clever nigga

There's more to a discipline than it's immediate job options upon graduation. Universities aren't trade schools.

I'd say accounting's the safer route.
Also, how do you like it at Alabama? Right now I'm at a small shitty school in Georgia and looking to transfer out. Lawdy that fucking out of state tuition for UA is what's turning me off, though.

Sorry, meant to link

Well... okay

Accountancy in Queensland

I love it. I had a perfect ACT though so I'm on a full ride. Probably affects my view but everyone else also seems to love it here. We could be pals user

Did my first bachelor in biology smd chemistry, didn't like working in it, moved on to start studying a dual finance / accounting degree. It is a lot easier than the science degree was.

Mathematics here

That rug is cheap. My Bubba had a smaller version of the same rug she bought at Hills or K-Mart.

I got a degree in English Literature. No I work as a Senior Business Consultant. Get paid $90k to sit around a bullshit with colleagues and clients.

> Right now I'm at a small shitty school in Georgia and looking to transfer out.

Do you not have HOPE aid?

Doctor, still a couple more years to go until I finish my surgical residency.
Making use of enourmous interests rates in my country to invest in public funds (still studying to get in stock market) so one day I can start my own medical business.

what country?

Lol, 2 junior collegee drop out bruh.

I regret nothing.

I make lile 60k a year working alone for a company that loves me while studying personal finance all day.

These niggas are knowingly paying me to become a multimillionaire and love me for it.

>mfw i retire i will buy all 80 employees a steak dinner and give them each at least a $100 bill and safe ride to a bar... this is after i take a voluntary pay cut to minimim wage and give that to my replacemwnt while training him for 2 weeks.

Just got off work 30 seconds ago and took my first ever vacation day. Mfw the most exciting part of my life is to work on my shitty house and have surgery.

Fuck im tired of being a wagecuck...

International relations undergrad, then law.

Mechanical engineering at Clemson, here's hoping I dodged Pajeet by not going CS.

>tfw you're an ME major but suck at material stresses and deformations (to be fair my machine design class was done out of Norton which is fucking terrible)

Wtf did i just read? kek

music ug
now studying law

how's tax?

chemistry

My dad went to law school about ten years ago, got an LLM, and got a job at a mid-size regional firm right after that. But there must not be enough pure tax work for him, because he does a fair amount of employment law. Also I strongly suspect that he hates his job.

Studying banking and finance in a dual system right now.

Industrial engineering, now law school, taking the patent bar in December. Hopefully get in as a patent examiner/attorney position with the Patent Office after graduating and then get into private practice.

If you're still here OP, how is tax work overall? Litigation or transactional?

It's alright man, most every ME I know from school struggled through that and then found that every decent sized employer has already constructed excel sheets and CAD models to do all the hard shit for you. As long as you know generally what you're looking at, you can make it by.

Well that's not reassuring. Has he talked about going solo practice?

i have 4 years of tuition free graduate school. is law a good investment of my time?

what do lawyers at a firm do? i have found the internet isn't so clear on what firm work is, its obvious what solo practice and litigation are, but do firm employees just file paperwork all day(not that i'd have a problem with that)?

That has got to be one expensive rug

First week of college studying businesz administration and marketing, am i fucked? Should i switch?

I just responded to you here but I'll answer about lawyer life.

At a large law firm, new associates in litigation spend a lot of their time reading the paperwork filed in a case, reading statutes and other cases to find out what the law says, and writing a memo to their supervisor (a more senior associate or a junior partner) about what the law says and what the likely outcome of whatever's pending is. Associates will spend very little time in court, and probably never talk to a judge. So it's a lot of reading, extracting relevant details from the facts of your case and matching them to relevant rules from other court decisions, and assessing the strength of your position. As an associate spends more time at the firm, s/he might interview clients, write questions for depositions, perform depositions, and write portions of briefs (the written legal arguments submitted to the court). Associates rarely, if ever, argue in court on paid cases. (Associates may argue in court on charity cases, aka pro bono cases.)

At the really big firms, you're expected to bill between 1700 and 2300 billable hours per year -- not work, bill.

One weird benefit of the legal market crash is that clients don't want to pay an associate to do document review (reading trillions of emails to see if any of them talk about the case). That gets farmed out to "contract attorneys" now. Contract attorneys literally just sit in basements and read emails to see if something is relevant, getting paid shit.

I have no idea what corporate associates do.

Nah. He's in his late 50s (going to law school was a mid-life crisis). I think he's just going to push through it until it's time to retire.

thanks a lot man, i really do appreciate it, as i don't have anyone irl i can throw these questions to

i also just looked up the aba required info from my school and it looks solid, only around 20 of a class of 450 are unemployed, and the bar passage rate is about equal to state average

Civil engineering. I fucking hate engineering but fuck it everyone says the degree will open all kinds of doors. I'm going to be so fucked if it doesn't.

Sure.

Doing corporate work at a firm isn't the only legal job, though. You can work for any level of government (still research and writing and contract review at first, but better hours and worse pay), as a prosecutor, as a defense attorney (private or public defender), doing legal aid work, doing guardian ad litem work, JAG, doing patent prosecution (if your undergrad degree is in a hard science), having your own one-man shop where you just take care of DUIs and estate planning for locals, etc.

The nice thing about going to law school tuition-free (from the perspective of someone who came out with $100K in debt) is that you don't have to fight for the kind of big firm job that will pay off your loans.

you're the best man, thank you so much

i really mean it! i also wrote back to you in the other thread

Paralegal program. Hoping to land a government job

How's civil engineering ? Sounds like an interesting field that won't confine you to a life in front of a computer screen but also I don't want to spend my life making fucking roads

make sure to scrutinize those aba numbers
a great site that breaks down 509 data is law school transparency
go there and do as much research as you can

Trade school 9 month course, currently a truck driver.

Pls help and give advice on how not to be depressed in college. On probation and even though i went to a boarding school this sucks.

computer science

Is computer science the new meme these days? I thought about getting degree in computer science and I'm taking some online courses know. Almost all of courses makes me question why bother. I know that earning potential is big but also I have no interest of being chained to computer screen and becoming blind. Also it seems you have to be a bit autistic to be really good at this stuff.

third year law school

(Canada)

Just started as a freshman at MSU. Looking into marketing or supply chain. Thoughts?

I can verify all of this is entirely correct.

Unless you're regularly winning programming competitions then you are never gonna get in there with zero internships. Why is every college student such a fucking retard when it comes to this? Why would an employer hire you over the guy who has the same GPA but also has work experience and design competitions under his belt?

>seems you have to be a bit autistic to be really good at this stuff.

>can't understand the work
>calls everyone else autistic to make himself feel better

MSU as in Montclair?

Multimedia tech, physics and history. I now work in sales and marketing strategies.

Recent econ BS from state university, starting at the bottom of my company making 40k

MSU as in Michigan State.

Hey! I'm about to start 1L, also in Canada. How'd you like law school so far?