/mmg/ Meme Market general

mememarketbeta.com

The existence of crypto coins such as TrumpCoin, PepeCoin, dogeCoin, ZikaCoin, and PokeCoin proves that a meme market is inevitable. Imagine an entire exchange where the securities are all the hottest trends like Harambe, PokemonGo, Brexit, ISIS, BlackLivesMatter, VR, and the like. You're watching the news, and you see some new trend shaking up the social ecosystem and you think "Hmm, how can I profit off of this?". Meme Market makes profiting off of hot happenings as easy as buying and selling stock on Robinhood.

>What is Meme Market?
Buy and sell memes for real money.
>For what purpose?
I see a lot of people in Robinhood general threads throwing down $400+ to invest in "meme" stocks like CERU. These people just want to have fun and feel the thrill. Think, how fun would it be to trade memes or news stories as you watch them unfold? I also see a lot of people starting threads like "how can we profit off of this popular trend?" and the answers are usually "sell t-shirts than have the trend written on them". Meme Market will allow you to _directly_ profit from those trends.
>When will it be released?
Meme Market Pre-Beta will be released on Sept 30th. It will not use real currency and will be more of a proof of concept. We'll use this Pre-Beta to test different ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

patents.google.com/patent/US20090119173A1/en?q=meme&q=market&q=G06Q30/02
patents.google.com/patent/US20120185544A1/en?q=meme&q=market&q=G06Q30/02
southwesternontario.ca/news-story/5989849-updated-mount-forest-man-charged-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-his-grandmother/
cbinsights.com/blog/biggest-startup-failures/
youtube.com/watch?v=18H5FBoGL3o
youtube.com/watch?v=rX1d_uS-JTE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Will you charge commission to make a trade?
Read my lips: No commissions. Ever.
>How will you generate revenue?
Every time a new meme IPO's, we will sell 100% of the shares to the market. These funds will be used pay our team of programmers, make insurance payments, and cover expenses. We will also build interest on deposited funds. We are NOT, nor will we ever ask for donations or run a kickstarter.
>Is this a ponzi scheme?
Not any more than bitcoin is a ponzi scheme. If Coinbase can get SEC approval, so can we. We want this website to be legit, so we want to take the time to get regulated. Every investor should know that the entire meme market is a zero sum game, just like derivative contracts or stocks without dividends. Every time you buy or sell a meme, you are basically placing a bet on a certain outcome and someone else is making the opposite bet. There is no promise of 9000% profits in 1 week or anything like that, you have to out-fox a lot of people in order to make money on this exchange. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

>Every time a new meme IPO's, we will sell 100% of the shares to the market

how are you going to monitor the web for the creations of new memes?
at what point does something become a Meme, and what is it before it reaches Meme-status?
for example, Harambe was a news story for a few days, then there was a few memes containing Harambe, but now Harambe has morphed into its own meme. What would be the tipping point? or is that part of it, some will get listed and then fail to go mainstream?

i think this is a great idea, nice one on making it happen

don't waste you're time on this, if you know how to program , come up with something that people will actually use, that makes their life better.
this is 100% worthless ofc. there is no underlying value in trading memes.

Thanks user. My thought is that to create a new meme, there is a bidding session, where if enough people bid enough money it gets put on the exchange. If not, it just stays in the bidding session. This would also determine the IPO price, and how the new shares are distributed.

It would be possible to write this entire website in ethereum smart contracts and have it legal and up and running soon, but there are advantages and disadvantages to that route. Would you guys rather have the site completely internalized or does it matter to you?

The idea is that the knowledge of what is popular is worth money. If you know what is going to be popular in the future, you can plan a startup around that and make a great amount of money. Meme Market will be a resource that tell people what is popular. From the site:

>The main goal of creating this website is to ultimately create a resource that tracks trends, memes, news, technology, & ideas and quantifies it all by giving a dollar value, using real money. Meme Market is basically a popularity tracker, and it uses the collective brainpower of human investors and the laws of supply & demand to get a popularity index more accurate than any supercomputer.

>Take this scenario: you run a small YouTube channel and you want to find a subject for your next video. You want to make a lot of money on ads, so you want to find a hot trend. So you go to Meme Market, where you can compare prices and histories of trends, and from there you can maximize your YouTube profit. This is just one example. Imagine the possibilities. Entrepreneurs can use Meme Market to capitalize on hot opportunities.

there is no book value per meme.
and its not even your own intellectual property to buy and sell.

>Would you guys rather have the site completely internalized or does it matter to you?
I would prefer ETH because ETH is fucking cool and I want to see it succeed.

If this goes ahead I forsee a lot of meme forcing spam.
How do you intend to deal with this?

PepeCoin has no book value. Nobody really owns the rights to Pepe. I am going to try to get a patent on this idea, but honestly I think there will be a lot of these meme exchanges springing up all over the place.

>PepeCoin has no book value

damn right it doesn't.
and no one in there right mind would trade their time for it. or put their hard earned money into it .
have fun tho.

Also if you don't know what i mean by intellectual property, look up kanye coin.
this is , on a list of bad ideas for internet technology , probably the worst.

Facebook, instagram, snapchat and youtube already have the online trends market cornered, and they don't do it by trying to monetize and gamble with intellectual property.
I wouldn't plan on doing this with real money if I was you. your basically putting your naked ass out into a gay bar and writing fuck me on it.

One user to another.
Don't waste a significant portion of your time and skill on this. Take this dog out behind the shed and shoot it.

People will pay to speculate on memes and trends whether I make this website or not. The real money version of the site won't have any IP infringing content.

If I can sell wallstreet on this idea we can user in a new age of being a hyper self aware society. I am willing to waste every last breathe on this idea and even if I end up millions of dollars in debt and hackers ruin everything, I won't regret a thing. This is my one mission in life, to make this idea a reality and to make it happen in a big way. I don't care about making a bunch of money. I think the process is fun and fulfilling in and of itself. I think has the potential to be the hot spot of what everybody is talking about, I couldn't live with the regret of not being part of it.

*usher
I think *this has

>I am willing to waste every last breathe on this idea and even if I end up millions of dollars in debt and hackers ruin everything, I won't regret a thing.
i'd rather bet on the fact that you will regret a lot of things.

>This is my one mission in life, to make this idea a reality
cringe.jpg

I don't care about making a bunch of money
good because no one is gonna let you make money on the backs of their IP without suing your ass into oblivion

>I couldn't live with the regret of not being part of it
i have worked on wall street for 30 years.
this is the sort of thing everyone says before putting to much money into a company they know nothing about and losing it all.

that being said. don't say you weren't warned.
there are millions of ideas for startups and new opportunities to revolutionize the world.
as an entrepreneur, you have all the wrong beliefs and motivations going into this, take it from someone who worked on other peoples bad ideas half their life during the dotcom bust. this is awful but, at least i got paychecks while the fly by night companies crashed around me. ( better companies than this)

the best ideas are the ones you don't have to say this kinda radical , live or die about.

keep in mind who you are competing with in these spaces. there may be a reason this sort of thing doesn't exist.
why a google or facebook hasn't done it already.

trust me no one will respect you for bringing a failure to market. especially something as useless as this.
Set your sights higher.

btw heres some context for what bigger guys in the online trend space are already trying and failing at.

patents.google.com/patent/US20090119173A1/en?q=meme&q=market&q=G06Q30/02

patents.google.com/patent/US20120185544A1/en?q=meme&q=market&q=G06Q30/02

you're not gonna "out google" google.
get off the train tracks, bud.

Those patents refer to crawling the internet and interpreting text. You're right, it's impossible to out-google google on the front of physically tracking trends. But that's what makes this idea so brilliant: there is no crawling or text scraping involved. The investors literally do all the work of setting the price by placing limit buy/sell orders, and the laws of supply and demand. Everyone is incentivized to make the market as accurate as possible, because if there is a mis-price then there is a opportunity to profit. Because we are using real humans and their collective brain power, Meme Market will be more powerful at measuring trends than the smartest of computers. Meme Market is basically a very powerful Swarm AI.

>Everyone is incentivized to make the market as accurate as possible, because if there is a mis-price then there is a opportunity to profit.

let me make this easy for you.

the value is 0.

thats why no one is doing this.

this is so stupid

The value of 99% of cryptocurrencies is 0, yet people still trade for it.
Seriously, 99% of buys seem to be "this may be worthless now but it's going to be big in the future, better buy now so I can get a lambo in 3 years"

just buy lottery tickets ,and use your time for something more productive.

i cant talk to you about this anymore, everyone knows this is nonsense.

Here's another application: let's say you are a seller on Amazon and there is a new fad you want to cash in on. You want to buy the minimum order quality of 100 units of the fad product and sell them for a profit but you are worried that the fad could go bust and you could lose the money you put into it. So you can hedge the risk by shorting the meme, so that even if you don't sell all 100 products, you still end up in the green no matter what. Meme Insurance.

memes don't have value

how do i short god awful business ideas like this for personal profit?

not for nothing, but , you may want to look into that.

>The value of 99% of cryptocurrencies is 0

dropped. you're an idiot.

There's no sort of backing.
There's no dividends.
There's nothing.
It's just a bet on the fact that other people will want your meaningless number from you at a later date.

>it doesnt have value

you guys understand that this meme exchange holds more value than your treasured fiat currency right?

technically nothing in this world manmade (currency wise) has any real value.

Memes are similar in this aspect. Which is why it will succeed. It is not a value based commodity like gold, but rather a faith based one like money.

>Buy and sell memes for real money.
well prove to me you really own a meme and i will consider giving you money for it.
this should be interesting.

>you guys understand that this meme exchange holds more value than your treasured fiat currency right?

I can't buy a loaf of bread with rare pepes.

you can't buy them with stock shares either boss.

No but I can buy stock shares with currency hoss.

would it have to be using a crypto? could you not just accept cash payments and have some sort of token system where users trade with memeX (MX?) and one token = $1. there are pelnty of platforms that trade digital products for fiat such as WoW and other mmorpgs.

having been in plenty of crypto threads, people are often moaning about the difficulty and/or inconvenience of trying to get crypto to get involved.

Well, nobody owns memes. Anyone of the street can offer you "shares" of a meme in exchange for money. It is only worth money to you if you think it will be worth money to some else. I think what you are saying is that there is a trust-issue. There are two way handle this: we can have one central location that everybody trusts to keep the number of memes in check. But, of course anyone can come along and start their own meme market and claim to be the only one who truly own the memes. Not to mention, the market could betray the trust of it's investors. The other way to handle this would be to decentralize everything. Make everything trust-free using ethereum contracts. How exactly how we would sort our amongst ourselves how many memes there are and who owns them is something we would have to think about. If we could make this whole thing decentralized that would be amazing. The "house" wouldn't make any money because their wouldn't be a house, only investors. If I can think of a way to do it that way I will.

>i have worked on wall street for 30 years.
are you a fifty plus year old on Veeky Forums? why?

you guys are on Veeky Forums and talk like you dont know how basic currency works - count me in on the memes op

i was talking about the initial market capitalization distribution. how could you possibly know pre-blockchain who owns what memes? i fairly certain that most fuckers claiming authorship would be lying out off their asses not to mention you would have a hundred thousand claims on every single meme as people would write bots for application.

assuming this would really interest people in the slightest that is.

I agree. The outside interface will be completely in USD $, and all deposits and withdraws will be in cash. The underlying system might be crypto but the money integration will be seamless.

Just like memes.

But memes don't have value directly the way OP is suggesting they do.

Let me prove it to you.

Wanna buy this meme?

i've just saved your meme. i now own it.

i've been a rare pepe trader for several years. i'm wayahead of the market.

If it's popular? Absolutely.

that's not the worst problem with this idea. what if corporations try to buy up memes about them and try sue your ass for using them.
this is an intellectual property nightmare. even thinking about anyone owing memes is an orwellian nightmare.

I think you guys are missunderstanding it.

You're not "buying" the memes themselves as much as you are investing in their popularity.

For example, I can make a bet on a horse race, but it doesn't make me own any of the assets in the race.

In this function the meme market is the same.

I'll offer it for 50% since this guy saved it and it probably planning to jew me.

I'll throw in this Ron Paul ishiggidtydiggity for 25% also.

I don't think you know how copyright laws work.

Now if the meme becomes popular I can upsell it to someone else for profit.

We turned something with no inherent value into real life money user. You and I both profited off of this. Isn't it great?

There's nothing "backing" anything you flipping twat.

Not until you put your money where your mouth is and actually buy some memes I have stored on my hard drive.

If you are talking initial market capitalization for a centralized model, we would have a bidding system where whoever bids the highest gets first dibs on the meme shares.

If you are talking about initial market capitalization for a decentralized model, that is very difficult.

How about this: Let's say that we are holding an IPO right now for every meme that will ever exist. Ready? Go. "A" will be a meme. "AA" will be a meme. "AB" will be a meme. Every single letter combination will have the same set amount of shares. Up to any number of letters. So if you want to own the concept of "TRUMP", you would just buy the pre-existing shares of "T-R-U-M-P". The only connection the coins will have to the real world and the only distinction between them would be the letter code. If you wanted to buy shares of harambe, you would have to look on a 3rd part website and see what letter combination people have agreed to trade Harambe on.

It would basically be a free for all where the first miners that claim the most promising letter codes will get the most profit. The reward miners also have to depend on the price. Even though people can just mine more and more memes, the reward will be constant so after infinite time the inflation rate will be zero and have the same effect as if there was a controlled number of shares.

>mine memes

>Nobody really owns the rights to Pepe
Matt Furie does.

Holy shit I love Veeky Forums.

First there was that guy trying to day trade election bets and now this bullshit

Well where's an invitation link or newsletter? I want to be informed when beta gets released

The closed "Pre-Beta" will be released on Sept 30, I will make a thread on Veeky Forums with the invitation link. The link will only be valid for a certain number of people, so whoever gets there first gets to be one of the Closed Pre-Beta testers. These first meme pioneers will be the market makers of the future. We will see how the markets react to a controllable number of people, and and when we have plenty of orders on the book (2-4 weeks) we will release another invite link made for the general public, the "Open Pre-Beta".

i hope your not going to be asking people to submit real money to you in exchange for these "memes"

No, this will be a dry run. We'll use this site to drum up interest and see if the concept even works. It'll be fun, people will be able to practice their trading strategies without risking real money.

too many lolbertarians obsessed with stuffing gold dildos up their arses, of course they don't know how currencies work

I like this idea.

Screw the naysayers, especially that "hurr durr i worked in the stock market for 30 years" guy. Sounds salty af with all of that vitriol he's spewing.

Good luck OP.

Do you guys need investors? This is a great idea

>go on shark tank
>someone 100 times more successful than you tell's you your shit stinks, and trys to offer experience and advice.
> HE JUST BE HATIN DAWG , MY HOMIE AND MOMS HAD SAID MY PICTURE GAMBLING SITE WAS DOPE, WE DONT NEED DAT SALTY ASS CRACKA WE GON DO IT ON OUR SELF, WE WUZ KANGZ N SHEEEEIIIIT!!

have fun with your troll meme market.

southwesternontario.ca/news-story/5989849-updated-mount-forest-man-charged-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-his-grandmother/

is this you?

Be honest with yourself, you would have said the exact same shit to Satoshi in 2009. The truth is, you never really know if something will work until you try it. Having worked in Wall Street doesn't give you divination powers

I know exactly what makes a business succeed or fail. I actually specialized in investing in fresh IPO internet services companies and still consult the team that took facebook public.

cbinsights.com/blog/biggest-startup-failures/

but w/e do what you want.

im just saying if ur gonna bust ur ass coding something. try to find something that is undeniably a value add.
this shit is a joke, cmon admit it , theres no "need" this service hopes to fill, that hasn't already been filled by FB, GOOG, snapchat instagram etc.

Also its gonna cost you a lot in real money and paper work to start a gambling website. This IS NOT investing. you will have better luck if you are trying to start this site in europe. if this did exist it would come off extremely spammy and impossible to regulate "popularity" of "memes"

but w/e keep insulting me and plowing into your own personal hell.

honestly , don't be afraid to "pivot" out of this awful idea.

*skammy.

You didn't answer my question. Be honest: were you to give advice to Satoshi in 2009. Would you have told him "Bitcoin is going to be a worldwide success with 10 billion market cap"??? Or would you have told me it would never work?

I cant wait to trade peepee

i bought bitcoin codes for pennies on the dollar many years ago, but i don't like to come on this site and brag about my wealth.
The technology was very easy to understand and a value proposition.

So the answer is no, you would have told him to give up on the idea, got it

this is nothing like bitcoin. I cant keep arguing with you though. This is silly as hell. if you think this is a good idea, go for it.

I am not the guy making the exchange

This guy has a point. There are plenty of retarded people out there. I would have never in my wildest dreams thought a pair of kanyes yeezy shoes would sell for $5k, but there are people out there stupid enough to pay for them. Some times you just cant look at this type of shit rationally. People put money in stupid shit because they are dumbasses and if enough like minded dumbasses exist, they can give more value to things that really shouldn't have much. A lot of the world economy is propped up by drooling mouth breathers.

thats a great mindset to have when you want to start a successful , long lasting business.
sorry .i forgot where i was.
disregard everything i said.

>Nobody really owns the rights to Pepe.
Who the fuck are you to be talking like some meme expert when you don't even know the history of Pepe?

youtube.com/watch?v=18H5FBoGL3o

>Do you guys need investors?
Right now we are funding out of our own pockets. We aren't accepting any investment or donations of any kind. Depending on how we implement this project, there will come a time where we need to ship the idea around to VCs. If we take the ethereum approach, we could get funding from the DAO. If you want to be involved in the project, participate in threads like these and shares your ideas with everyone.

> not for nothing but this comment is a case study in how unprincipled, starry eyed investors sink money into bad ideas with no technical relevance get funded and lose investors millions everyday in silicon valley.

I hate to watch this money get flushed down the toilet . Where does it end up ? Where does it go??
Into the pockets of people who own intelligent, time tested business models.

when you get serious about internet service/ app / software design.

you should really research the financial market for the service, the competition, the cost of customer acquisition .
Having a few neckbeard neets tell you , your idea is cute, is not market research, and quoting the success of a crypto currency you don't understand and is completely incomparable to your service, shows how little you understand the tech sector and your market.

Not trying to rag on you. Just hate to see bad ideas and wasted time.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

imagine standing up in a room pitching this to any serious investors/accelerators, and think about how knowledgable they are , and the kinds of questions they will ask, and you will realize how weak this particular business idea is.

>I see a lot of people in Robinhood general threads throwing down $400+ to invest in "meme" stocks like CERU. These people just want to have fun and feel the thrill.

robin hood doesn't get the bulk of its interest pool revenue from these people , they probably actually cost robin hood money , but they probably wont be customers for long.

That audience is actually more accessible and comparable to online gambling / casinos.
please don't post this here anymore btw. im embarassed for you.

>this shit is a joke, cmon admit it , theres no "need" this service hopes to fill
perhaps people will see it as a game, something they can spend their time on, a hobby, an activity. you might be right that there is no market need for this, that business or institutions would not be interested, but perhaps that isn't who will use it.

the internet is full of things that have no use but are still consumed by people. there is no need for videogames, for 9gag, no real need for Veeky Forums. but all these things are used by people.

i understand your viewpoint, but i think you are looking at it too rationally. you are ignoring the meme magic.

check 'em.

yea so take this to the game board.
game market is over saturated and really cornered by sony and microsoft . so this is like a role play wank. i dont wanna get on Veeky Forums and hear roleplay wank.
i wanna indetify and help create value
i wanna make MONEY

how do you even get meme up there can anyone place the meme and say it is thiers?

>meme magic

gb2/r/thedonald

Well for the Pre-Beta we are just going to go off of people's votes and have a new meme every week.

The real money version of this site will have every meme go through a bidding session where everyone bids on their claim of the meme. If there are enough bids the meme gets created. If there are too many bids, the highest bids are prioritized first and the cuttoff is the total number of shares. If there is not enough bids, the meme stays in the bidding session. Another way we could do it is that whoever wants to start there own meme needs to pay for 100% of the shares at a certain price and they can start as many memes as they want. We will use the Beta version to test out these ideas.