Tfw programming for 15 years

>tfw programming for 15 years
>tfw built websites/server architecture handling 250,000 requests/second
>tfw highly paid systems engineer at a huge multinational corporation whose products you use every day whether you realize it or not
>tfw literally can't come up with a software-based business idea that ever becomes cash-flow positive

I could build any desktop, mobile, or web-based product, but I have no ideas. I can't come up with ideas. I am the antithesis of the "idea guy".

Occasionally, I will try to prototype an idea but it won't have product-market fit.

Anyone else know this feel? Anyone else ever escape from this situation? I want to work on my own product instead of being a wagecuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=612I_RU8IiM
beta.vdling.com)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Make a program that fucks your wife for you, cuck.

If what you do is actually hard, automatize it and sell as a service.

program my video game ideas for me

Not married.

It's hard, but it can't be automated.

Why not grab Unreal and do it yourself? It's absurdly easy to get into game development nowadays. I started programming so I could make games, and there was nothing back then. Now there's a ton of off-the-shelf engines you can use. Or go read Nehe's OpenGL tutorials if you wanna build your own renderer/engine.

>I am the antithesis of the "idea guy".
This is absolutely awesome and you should be proud of yourself. Your job, so to speak, is to be the "hard-nosed realist" - go find idea guys, vet their shit, and be prepared to drop them if they are idiots.

I do this on a fairly regular basis and I haven't programmed seriously for years.

>Why not grab Unreal and do it yourself?
I will, once I get an adderall prescription. I was joking.
I'm a CS student and I think I could probably write my own 2D engine pretty easily if I could focus on anything at all.

>I started programming so I could make games
Did you make anything commercial?

Speaking of this. I'm pretty similar to you OP. However, I do have one idea that needs a lot of UI/graphics. Nothing more than 2D.
Do you know of any easy to use Java game 2D libraries that don't look like ass?

You could always:
>freelance
>algo trade
>consult

>It's hard, but it can't be automated.
it already is.

make bank while you can m8.

I get regularly approached with ideas because of where I am (San Francisco/Silicon Valley area), and I have to shoot them down pretty regularly. I've worked for a bunch of startups and I have a pretty good idea of what to look for now.

No, but I briefly worked on some game-related software (C++ on Windows) which was interesting. 2D is a good choice because the math is much simpler than a 3d game.

I don't know anything related to Java or the JVM, sorry.

I do algotrading stuff as a hobby already, but I don't expect to ever build a system which doesn't lose money in real market conditions. Pic related.

The opportunity cost of quitting my job is super high, so I don't foresee freelancing/consulting replacing my job any time soon.

I write high performance networking fabric at the moment. Unless you know of something which can turn RFCs into high performance C, my job is not threatened by automation.

what about an app idea

Make a Veeky Forums app.

My Hanzi is rusty.
What does this say, "fucking fuck"?

youtube.com/watch?v=612I_RU8IiM

Some one once told me that the better understanding you have on how something works, the worse you become at making that thing.

Make a program complaining about it on a sewing forum

Angry birds just cloned a game mechanic that had already been in place in multiple games on newground etc for years - no one had ever marketed it right

Just copy / steal other ideas

From my perspective the hard part is that lots of shit that makes money (snapchat/twitter/whatsapp) seem retarded if you think of it

It definitely gives you a default "you can't do that because..." reaction to a lot of things. It's hard to think outside the box when you've been thinking inside it for so long.

Yeah, I realize persistence + being in the right place at the right time is the key. I don't even want to build a huge product/company (though I wouldn't be opposed to it). I'd love to get a product to even $1000 MRR so I can focus on optimizing and scaling it.

If something did take off and I could net $1000/mo from it, I'd move to some inexpensive place in Asia and live like a hermit and just focus on scaling it.

im your idea guy
faloopalum@gmail

>(snapchat/twitter/whatsapp)
those dont' make any money compared to the real broad technical , highly algorithmic shit.

microsoft, oracle , google , facebook.

just build a service that genuinely helps people.
what is your pain point?build something that helps yourself. you will find others like u who u can sell it 2 if it works 4 u.

Go trough some old flashgames, find the most played and most simple one. Make a "New" mobile game out of it, earn 50k+ a day in ads

Domo

>I've worked for a bunch of startups
You need to start asking for some ownership equity as part of your compensation. Either do a partnership or some other equity. If they give you lip, ask them if they prefer to have 90% of a million or 100% of nothing.

I had some ownership in all of them, and all but one have exploded to the point where even the investors lost money. The last one is still running.

I'm very familiar with equity/ICO/AMT/83b and all that stuff.

I'd love to build a service that is so good and useful that people tell their friends about it organically. That is the total opposite of the scams/begathons that plague this board. Adding /\b\w+coin\b/i as a filter has made this board somewhat tolerable again.

I have no idea what to build, though. I can't find anyone online who has problems for which there aren't already existing, good solutions. Haven't tried looking offline... might try that.

Db engineer here. I exactly have the same feelings. I have started a professional blog to be able to earn more but i have no clue on how to start a business. All the friends i got are from same field and same situation. I am 33 btw

>doesn't even capitalize the I or use any punctuation
This is your guy OP, he thinks so outside the box!!!

What's interesting is I have a legitimate app idea that reflects and industry, customer audience, and access to all levels of the market to beta test it. If only I had the skills you possess

I guess you don't do anything else besides programming that's why it is so hard to come up with an idea. You cannot create some software that is super valuable to a biotech company because you have never worked at biotech (I am assuming here, but you can switch biotech with any other industry.). Also as I understand you are expert at scaling and performance which usually are not the most important skill for a founder as you can always hire someone like you later if you need to scale. Something like being machine learning expert can be much more valuable for an idea and initial implementation of that idea.

Funny you mention that: I'm actually learning ML/NN/DL at the moment for algotrading since I just got a nice graphics card to run them on. There are an obscene amount of videos about it on Youtube.

I do have other interests which I am very passionate about, but I haven't come up with any (viable) cross-pollination ideas.

I do enjoy the scaling aspect of infrastructure/databases, but I am just a pragmatic developer at my core. I could easily bang out MVPs of web/SaaS/mobile app ideas... if I had any.

You can't build any desktop, mobile or web based product. I have been focusing on Android for five years, and feel I barely have a handle on it. Especially since I also divert time for web APIs in Python for my apps.

You prototype? So prototype, prototype, prototype. Do projects where version 1 takes two months or less. See which projects take off and which don't.

In 2012 I thought it was hard to get discovered on Google Play, you should try now. If I was new I couldn't compete.

Actually a good idea is hard to come by, most of those "idea men" ideas are crap. So if you are smart and experienced you will probably see quickly if the idea is a viable business. However on the other hand a lot of startups started with simple ideas and then it just worked out so I think you should just do it. Having said that I can give you one of my own ideas, simple but I think it could be good. If you are interested.

I have a large amount of iOS experience, far more than enough to quickly build an MVP (excluding an OpenGL-based game). I'd outsource Android development if I built a popular iOS app.

I'm not bragging when I say I can execute technically on software in those three areas. I've done it and will continue to do it. I'm not a stage 1 Gentoo ricer from /g/ who is the epitome of Dunning-Kruger. If an app I built did take off, I'd try to eventually divorce myself from the development part and focus on higher level things.

The problem is I don't have any ideas to prototype. I've come up with literally one idea in the last two years, and the MVP (SaaS app) I built in two weeks failed to get traction with the target userbase.

Someone else suggested copying other people's ideas, but in that case you don't stand out from the crowd. Discoverability is a huge problem in the app ecosystems especially.

I can resonate with this. A lot of famous companies originally started out as a completely different idea and pivoted when only a small part of the original idea was actually valuable.

I really just want to get something, anything, which is useful in the hands of potential users/customers and then they can tell me what they actually want.

I'm not sure why you'd give out a business idea if you think it's good. You should develop it yourself or pay someone to build it for you.

I have implemented something on my own (can check it out: beta.vdling.com) but didn't have a job for some months and will need to go back to work after I launch that website. Also it's a lot of work, not viable to do it alone and without funding. Ideas are cheap, implementation is the most important part and I don't care about giving it to you. Most likely you won't implement it anyway.

I'm an Idea guy, if you're in New York I'd love to meet up with you.

Trust me, you would love my idea.

sup op, I keep hearing about guys with your skills starting their own hosting/networking company. even though there are already tons of them and they all just basically offer space and have the same shit automated in a smart way. you may be able to find your own niche within that market based on your unique skills (high performance?) or connections

I've been doing some scheduler-related work recently (see: Kubernetes, Google's "Borg" paper, Mesos, etc.), and I'm really interested in running something like this. I'd love to run some kind of hosting company, but it'd have cater to some specific niche otherwise it's just a race-to-the-bottom against everyone else. The entire infrastructure could be 100% automated with a scheduler and SDN and scale on demand. Just gotta figure out the niche... thanks for the reminder.

Cool idea. How are you liking Meteor? I've only used Angular, but I'd probably use React on a frontend heavy project nowadays.

Not in NY. Sorry senpai

hosting is already automated, you can buy a site which does it for like $50

maybe gaming servers?

Yeah meteor is fine for initial implementation but it is changing fast and things are getting depreciated (including blaze in favor of react) so right now it is in an uncertain state but I think it will be fine. I am not sure if it would scale though and the nature of such a website is probably that it needs a lot of concurrent users to be interesting in realtime. I will probably need to rewrite it if it gets any traction :)

How much are you paid, my friend?

u need 2 not suck at marketing dawg.

also what does it say that every startup you worked for didn't make it.

learn some finance/marketing skills noob.

fucks you're wife*

no it's your dumbshit

Fucking newfag.
Also, if you're gonna correct someone's grammar, at least use commas. Jesus.

You could stop being a faggot and start appreciating the fact you're already wildly successful

hahah u butthurt now buddy

Same age, same problem. I'm a "Big Data" guy, looking to switch to full time consulting. I can't come up with anything to build.

>I've worked for a bunch of startups and I have a pretty good idea of what to look for now.
Unless you actually came up with the startup ideas yourself, it doesn't follow that you know how to come up with them. Only that you looked at existing successful ideas and nodded your head that it was good.

>Yeah, I realize persistence + being in the right place at the right time is the key. I don't even want to build a huge product/company (though I wouldn't be opposed to it). I'd love to get a product to even $1000 MRR so I can focus on optimizing and scaling it.
I currently have a "product" that makes $2000/month and am burned out, depressed, and haven't worked on it for years. Yet it still chugs along. Wish I had your motivation.

>I can't find anyone online who has problems for which there aren't already existing, good solutions
That likely holds you back. In most cases, there is an existing "good" solution. But "good" for one person is not everyone; there may well be other niches.

ALSO: The best ideas can evolve. You may start with a shitty, somewhat okay idea, people will use it, give feedback, and in some cases tell you an exact product that they would want.

Anyway real problem you have is indecisiveness and unwillingness to work on something that isn't quite perfect. If you really have the skills and motivation, make a 1:1 clone of something, get some customers, and then religiously improve in response to customer feedback.

Want an "okay" idea? Talk to me
>[email protected]
Just give me a tiny % ownership. I'll let you choose the percent. 1% if you think the idea is really shit. More if you like it or want me to work with you on UI flows etc

Come on man. I always have ideas but have no motivation. I'd be happy just to throw some things at you to see if I can inspire you.

Dammit man, I hope you are still here. Contact me. I have several ideas I think are good, but there's one particular one that is, frankly, a bit boring to me, and I know I'll never find the motivation to work on it. And I don't have the funds or ability to pay or convince others to work on it for me.

>I currently have a "product" that makes $2000/month
wut is it

>Occasionally, I will try to prototype an idea but it won't have product-market fit.
also, wtf do you mean by that? I didn't drink the startup culture coolaid.

Please tell me you didn't just build something and then throw it away. You have to release every shitty thing you make and see what sticks.

some niche media host thing. The market is pretty saturated now. I was one of if not the first in the niche.

how does it work? is it free, do you have to sign up or something?

Ads. No sign up. But, if I had the motivation, I absolutely would build a premium/subscription service into it.

how many active users you getting per month to be making 2k?

I haven't checked my analytics lately because it's been decreasing and it scares me.

But somewhere in the region of 100K pageloads/day. 3-5 mil/month

do you host content or do you like refer to other content like a streaming site?

so its some shitty upload pic or video site

meanwhile some idiot in youtube is making 10k a month just lol at life

Why do you wanna know? What are you thinking of? Self host.

I'm just curious, been thinking about writing a site to scrape other streaming sites for links and chuck some ads on there, but with a slightly better user retention plan than they have

Are you implying that's a lot?

Around 200k/year + bonus

Over 95% of startups fail even if the idea is good, so not much I think.

I don't think being at point X means you should stop striving to be at X + more. With that attitude, I could go full Diogenes and live in a wine jug and stop trying.

I talked to a few people, they said they'd like a product which does X, I build it, turns out they like X but aren't willing to commit at a pricepoint they said. I have a bunch of abandoned projects from the past 8 years or so.

10k/mo would be a downgrade if it was a full-time gig (producing content, etc.). Like I said, my opportunity cost is pretty high. That's probably pre-tax, too.

I've thought about this, but I'm not sure what I could offer that would differentiate myself enough from the myriad other hosts. A small part of my job involves kernel ricing to achieve optimal networking performance. Maybe I can combine that with tons of easy customization (maps, mods, and so on).

To expand on this, I've worked for companies that had good ideas, became profitable, code I wrote was directly generating millions of dollars of revenue, and at one time I had over a million dollars worth of vested stock options based on the company's FMV. Due to bad decisions by the CEO and others in the company, it ended up being sold for only a few million about a year after I left.

You can make no mistakes but still lose.

>roleplaying

In any case, making 10k a month (more than you by a mile) while playing a videogame for 15 minutes is sure better than being a commuting wagecuck.

> they said they'd like a product which does X, I build it, turns out they like X but aren't willing to commit at a pricepoint they said

It only means that problems which are resolved by your product aren't valuable enough to pay for.

There are generally 2 possibilities to get idea:
1. Solve your personal problem (pros: it will be easier to validate it; cons: i suppose that you don't have any valuable problems if you ask about idea for business)
2. Solve problem for other people or "make unsexy products" meme (pros: you can find "Blue Ocean market"; cons: it is very hard). Try to talk with other people in order to comprehend their needs (not from IT circle), neighbors. Read different forums (for example, young moms forums - they have a lot of unresolved problems and enough shekels to pay for it)

>fucks up trying to correct someones grammar
>gets mad when told ur a dumbshit
>tries to grammer nazi again

some people just dont learn

heh, im the opposite but trying to change

I've been the type to come up with ideas all the time growing up, for reference i was born in '86

>"invented" pokemon in the early 90's, imagining a franchise that combined animals together, envisioned a "squirtle", but it was a squirrel with a turtle shell instead of a turtle with a squirrel tail. even doodled a few creations

>"invented" a game in mind where you throw "hollow" frizbee at bowling pins, later see it turned into a product and sold on tv for children games during mid 90's

>"invented" the concept of super smash brows in early 90's elementary school, imagined various characters fighting on a multi-tier 2D plain, mario brothers, mortal kombat, sonic, etc

>imagined an "as seen on tv" easy egg spatula/flipper, so you can flip eggs without breaking them. see almost the exact thing 10 years later on late night infomercial ad.

>came up with idea for mobile game that partied you with people with people near you via GPS (The denser the population of players in your area the shorter the range for your party finder), Geo located boss spawns in areas triangulated with playerbase to be most accessable to highest amount of players to bring together raid" systems. 2 years later pokemon go encorporates the philosophy behind this and the popularity moons. many close friends were told of this idea and jaw dropped when i point out the similarity to pokemon go

I got into IT as an adult and still have multiple ideas (both software/IT and not) that have not been done yet. Planning to start school for computer science degree this february

isn't marketing the real money-maker part?

Good call on the IT circle. 95% of the people I know are also in tech. Thanks.

Interns here make almost 100k/year. Junior engineers start around 120-130k. You doubt senior/principal engineers can make a lot more than that? Keep in mind that cost of living here is pretty high. A one bedroom apartment in Palo Alto is over $2,500/month.

Good luck, user. I think once you can bring your ideas to fruition, you will hit it big.

Probably, but without something to market...

OP whenever I need ideas I just buy a bag of weed and within a few joints i have so many ideas that I could never reasonably complete them all

tl;dr 420 blaze it

you know what? fuck it, I'll give you some of my shitty ideas. most/all of these involve hardware + software, though:

- interactive maps (cheap chinese tablets, modified to run a map app and nothing else) that have information about all local businesses, sort of like google maps. you lease these maps to hotels or something, and ask the local business to give you money to add more information and pics in some shitty static page

- same thing with maps, but in public places, and instead of tablets, simply serve them through wifi.

- a web system served through wifi, that helps managing orders and queues. say, you go to a public office, and you are asked to connect to the wireless system, leave your personal info, and explain your need. then someone will call you and you'll be asked to provide whatever docs you need to present, and they'll give you whatever you need. the purpose of this? make queues faster, since orders can be fulfilled while you are waiting to be called. afaik, restaurants already use something like this, so you should target other orgs.

in short, think about hardware features in cheap systems (routers/tablets) and repurpose them.

I have no clue if these ideas would help someone or not, I've actually wanted to implement them, BUT... I don't feel confident/competent enough, because I'm a poor NEET.

this 100%
I don't say this as a smoker ( because I don't smoke it ) but I know that it does help in ruts because it slows you down and allows you to think about things.

thte problem you're facing is purely psychological and depends on how you've developed to treat problems and etc.

also yes anything can be automated.

marketing is the money making part.
people pay for convenience.

that's the only two bits of "Veeky Forums" advice you need

Read books on creativity, Like ThinkerToys? There are ways to boost creativity but I believe its a natural born gift, given to people with a certain type of brain

>you lease these maps to hotels or something
Motels often have this sort of information in their rooms or available at the front desk.

>a web system served through wifi [...]
Bit farfetched really, why would you go somewhere, leave them a note and then leave? Just call them.

wait are you saying there's a way to filter coin threads ?

>mfw when actually tried to trade cryptos at one point

facepalm myself

>Motels often have this sort of information in their rooms or available at the front desk.
aha. I hadn't seen that. guess I'm really late to the game...

>Bit farfetched really, why would you go somewhere, leave them a note and then leave? Just call them.
this idea would be useful in places where you actually need to be phisically present and join a queue. otherwise, you have every other form of communications, from facebook to phones, and it's not really useful.
not sure if my explanation makes sense...

>not sure if my explanation makes sense...
I get your explanation I just don't think the idea is very good

the only places I can think of like this are doctors offices and government agencies and they're not the kind of places which can just call you back with some info and your problem is solved

Microdosing on LSD is also apparently a way to think up the next big thing

>Motels often have this sort of information in their rooms or available at the front desk.
wait, they don't have interactive maps, do they? they usually have touristic maps... the whole idea is to give info about any type of businesses. from restaurant to bakery, from museums to supermarkets to bus stops... etc. of course google maps currently does this, but
1. people are lazy and have to search for shit, in this case they would have the info right there in the device
2. gmaps doesn't include ALL businesses

you don't think saving them even 1 minute per client/patient/whatever, and saving them some typing (altough you'd need to make the system interact easily with their other internal systems) would be of help?

>3.
bah, I had thought or something else, but I can't remember right now...

>wait, they don't have interactive maps, do they? they usually have touristic maps...
they have info on local restaurants et cet, you could try it but in my experience motel owners are stingy as fuck

>you don't think saving them even 1 minute per client/patient/whatever
not for the type of places I imagine you're talking about

>they have info on local restaurants et cet
hmm, ok

>you could try it but in my experience motel owners are stingy as fuck
true, but your clients don't really need to be motels (only). in touristic places, everyone wants attention from tourists

>Discoverability is a huge problem in the app ecosystems especially.
Because 95% of all apps are shit. Developer are good in programming the app but they have no clue about the user interface design, ux and usability. I'm an expert in that field, did lots of interfaces for startups and their user base, in most cases, increased rapidly.

If you make an app don't miss that point.

The monumental valley game had it's incredible success mainly because of it's look and atmosphere. The gameplay itself is pretty boring after a few levels. Now imagine you make a game with top tier graphics/UI AND great gameplay.. that is actually pretty rare in the appstore.

I'm thinking a dark souls game for the App Store where you calibrate the accelerometer so that You can tilt to move and swivel to rotate your waist. You tap the home button to do a light attack and double tap does a heavy attack.

hey man, what's a good, free/cheap service that criticizes your app/website and helps you improve it?

Veeky Forums

You could check out behance or try to get an dribbble account. Not sure where you live but some interface design companies offer free consulation hours for people who need some feedback.

Install "Veeky Forums X" extension-> preferences (wrench icon) -> filter -> add "/\b\w+coin\b/i;boards:biz" without the quotes to subject and comment filters

It blocks any thread/post containing a "word" ending with "coin" (case insensitive).

Yeah, globalization means fewer winners and the winners get the lion's share of the reward. You definitely have to stand out. Good post, thanks.

Are there any games with a similar control scheme already in the app store? Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if tilting would be precise enough for a Souls-style game.

I tried it a few times, only got "I like it" or some minor complains as response. barely anyone actually tried the website (I can read the logs.)

nice, thanks!

what's the site?

nask dot co
the domain name is expiring, and I'm not sure I'll buy it again

stop trying to reinvent the wheel...

make a copy of an already existing program and make it better and market it better...

christ, not everyone has to be a innovative genius to have a successful multimillion profitable company

It's neat but I don't know what it'd be useful for really.

memes. I thought about making "voice memes" or something, so that it could become popular... but apparently not even that works.
when I started, I thought about marketing it as an anonymous voice messaging service.

but my real issue is the user interface/experience. is it good or good enough? is it bad? I don't really know... but I suspect that it's lacking. for example, no one seems to notice or understand the videos feature. sadly, I didn't track my users... otherwise, perhaps I would have had useful data on the real issues.

It was fine for my brief use in the voice forms, the options could probably do with a little question mark next to them which when hovered over described what they do.

Also the male/female option looks a bit awkward sitting there like that, might look more uniform as a drop down too but that might just be my autism.

I have a few ideas but I can't program. Anyone know of any good resources to start learning?

yeah, that was what I wanted to add when I started it, some tooltips... I forgot about that

there are lots of resources out there, with varied levels of difficulty. my suggestion is to avoid the ones that "teach" by rote repetition and don't explain anything. that was my experience with udemy, at least.
what do you want to do? apps? websites?

Hey mate, I have a good online-based idea that I know will make a lot of money, but I lack the technical skills to make it a reality. If you're interested in lending your expertise in return for a partnership, let me know.