Becoming a digital nomad

I've decided I want to find a way to be location independent so that I can travel while working from my laptop.
What kind of success/income would I need to be able to justify traveling?
I most commonly hear that its easy to do on 50k USD per year but is it viable for anything less than that?

What methods could I look into for online income generation?
So far I know of freelancing, affiliate marketing, e-commerce, drop shipping,
publishing e-books, ads on blogs, ads on YouTube, online arbitrage, and making udemy-type courses.
Any other ideas you guys could help pitch in?

I plan on starting with affiliate marketing from Papa user's Money4Anon guide and then branching out into other ventures once I've got it down.

Which online model would be best suited to build up to 50k annually?
>inb4 get rich quick schemes
I'm cool with working for it, I just want it to be a reliable model.
I have about 1.5 years before graduating from uni and would like to build up to that point by graduation.
I've already started selling a lot of my stuff on Craigslist to come up with starting cash.
Currently have 1.5k and still have enough stuff to net me at least 1k more once it sells.
Also currently am a wage-slave so I will have periodic funds to add into it.

Anyone have experience with being a digital nomad?
Any cool Veeky Forums travel stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

money4anon.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=jTvwUfgSmBI
thepeoplestherapist.com/2011/04/13/not-worth-it/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Anyone have experience with being a digital nomad?
Not yet (:

I think you've covered the basics of online income generation, saying them is pretty easy, actually putting them into practice is another thing entirely.

50k is a pretty lofty goal from purely online (passive?) income generation.

>I plan on starting with affiliate marketing
kill yourself

>50k is a pretty lofty goal from purely online (passive?) income generation.
I'd ideally like to build up a combination of the two.
I'm just starting with affiliate marketing since I liked the guide and to get my foot in door.
I don't see it as an end-all be-all solution for infinite passive NEET bux.

Pretty sure that e-commerce or freelancing are going to be the big dogs in active income generation.

k

Once you grow up and realize this passive bullshit is a meme, try getting into IT. As a contractor you can do a lot of work remotely and the pay is excellent.

>Once you grow up and realize this passive bullshit is a meme
I've already said that.
>I don't see it as an end-all be-all solution for infinite passive NEET bux.

The fact that you're in university, paying for an education, yet you aspire to set up some cheesy as fuck affiliate website to earn a living shows how fucking retarded and immature you are.

Explain why you're going to uni when it has no relevance to your 'career goal' - humour me

For a serious answer, it depends where you intend on travelling. You will run into roadblocks in some places where they don't allow short-term rentals - some agree to 4 months minimum but often put a premium on the price (i.e +$200 extra per month)

If you globe-hope frequently, you'll also struggle with transport if you don't have good public transport or similar

If by 'nomad' you mean going around USA or something, then to fund rental homes/apartments and a car and other expenses you might aim for about $2500-$3000pm as a conservative estimate. That's about what I pay, but I also have a wife and child and need to stay in locations with good schools which attracts a premium.

>digital nomad here
>28
>60-90k/year, 90% passive
>software

Sup?

>Explain why you're going to uni when it has no relevance to your 'career goal' - humour me
To be quite honest, my father projects his failed aspirations onto me.
I originally wanted to go into trades, but I'd be disowned if not a lawyer/engineer/doctor.
I'm miserable as an engineering student and would prefer to study just about anything else at this point.
But I make good grades and have a partial scholarship + good financial aid for it.
So its "financially sensible" for me to suck it up and deal with it. What's wrong with having a side hustle anyway?

>you'll also struggle with transport if you don't have good public transport
I'm from Texas so public transport is near non-existent. What should I read up on?

>I also have a wife and child
I'd like to plan on doing my initial traveling abroad and solo dolo. Do you know what a decent estimate for like backpacking in the UK single?

How did you get started in your endeavor?
Are you using the SAAS model for your software? Or is a one time purchase?
How many other income streams act as a buffer to that income range? Or is it all from software?
What do you do for your active portion of income?
How many hours do you have to work in order to maintain your set up?
What kind of gear do you take with you when you travel?
How long have you been location independent?
What major road blocks did you face in achieving this goal?

Just write code. I did this for awhile and it was awesome. I'm about to do it again. :^)

As a freelancer?
Or to create your own project?
What languages do you code in?
What languages would you recommend?

How do you do it?

Why? affiliate marketing is free money, you'd be retarded not to incorporate it into most things online somehow

Why did you stop in the first place?

I left for Europe and Canada as a single man with about $25,000 in the bank and came back 18 months later with about $15,000 - 2 months of that was free accommodation in France due to a friends dad owning a place, 4 months was renting through Craigslist for $400pm (couldn't fucking believe how cheap it was - all utilities and net included) and the rest was backpacker hostels and scrubby shit like that. I walked everywhere. If it was too far, I took a bus.

I only got stranded once and quite literally went to a local village pub and asked the bartender (who spoke broken English) who I met the night before if he could ask anyone if they were heading into a bigger town and they worked something out for me.

I'd suggest budgeting at least $2,000 so you're not forced to cut your trip short due to being broke - better over-prepared than under-prepared

I passed up a few good opportunities because I was too worried about running out of cash early on. Including 200 euro for a hot lap around Bologna in a Lamborghini with Valentino Balboni... but at least I met him... and Horacio Pagani...

Don't pass that up

You basically have licensed out a software solution right? Is it just one piece of software or is your income made from sources?
Is there ongoing client liaison or support?
Do you have employees doing that shit for you?

How did you find your clients? How many businesses or induviduals licence from you?

Alright, where's all my drop shipping boys at?
>that feel when found a wide open market for a great niche

*multiple sources.

what's ya niche lad, wont steal it (I will)

think about what site we're on

think about what most of these nerds like

t h i n k

ah I was chatting to you yesterday

I got an adwords campaign going for my site

Ah kids clothes user?

dragon dildos?

ye

Oh ok. You should really look into fb ads. They work

Ona holes?

Chasing that momma and poppa dollar.
Smart.

well boys I have a problem. I only have about $300 to use for drop shipping (to buy products, I got fees covered.)
Shopify payments takes 3 days for payments to be deposited. What am I supposed to do when I'm out of money? Just wait the 3 days to get my payments or hope to God they use PayPal and I just use that to make the orders?
gimme some of that financial wisdom biz

Can you block shopify payments? I would do that.

Yeah, you can. But I can only receive credit card payments with that.
People can't use PayPal to use their credit card, can they?

yeah you can link paypal to a credit card

I didn't realize there was another way to even use paypal

I'll just have to use PayPal for a while then. I hope I don't have too many sales turned away just because it's gonna be PayPal only for a while. But I'm assuming that most people who shop online use PayPal regardless, I hope

Drop shipping for sure and you could live off much less than 50k usd depending. 50k sd a year in thailand is like playboy money - clubbing all the time , that sort of thing.

If you just want to play vidya you could do it for a tenth of that

Where's the guide for affiliate marketing though? Never heard of it and I've been browsing the board since forever.

money4anon.com/

I'm a freelancer/digital nomad.

I do copywriting for clients and make ~$4000/month with a 20hr work week.

That leaves me with enough time to travel and have my laptop as a personal ATM that spits out money when I need it.

The main thing is having a valuable skill that will always bring you money no matter what shitty situation you're in.

If I'd be dropped into an unfamiliar city with nothing but a laptop and internet - I could get paid the same day and survive.

I post pretty frequently in threads like this so this might sound repetitive to some, but as always, I'm here to help anons who are in a place I was 4 years ago...

...frustrated from living off of my parents and never having any job, possessions or money to call my own.

how did you get your client base and what kind of shit do you write?

Anybody working here as freelance translators? Is it easy to make ends meet?

How do you find gigs? Or more importantly, at first how did you find gigs?
Does most of your income come from repeat customers?
Do you need to keep marketing yourself or soliciting business?

Aside from having at least copacetic writing skills are there any other skills or areas of expertise that are a necessity?

you can make bucks here try it on your own though i dont take responsibility faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=jTvwUfgSmBI

meme

Just change to a PayPal business account then you can accept card payments through it without the people using it having an account. Think it's called PayPal checkout or something along those lines. You can host it in-house, post (web) request to PayPal manually or have them run the checkout and link your users to it.

Have used it in the past, they take a small percentage of each payment though. Another alternative is Stripe payments, have used both with no hassle in UK although I'm not sure what it's like over in the states.

When I first started back in the Elance/Odesk days I just underbid others and basically worked for pennies just to get testimonials.

Now that I'm here I probably wouldn't do it the same way.

Here's my 4-step plan on getting your first clients:

1. Read, watch and consume as much as you can about your niche. Take notes on everything and save them.

2. Find places where people from your niche gather (Facebook groups, forums)

3. Use your notes and consistently create valuable content (quick tip videos, posts) that doesn't promote you in any way. Focus on putting out value.

4. After some time people will start seeing you somewhat as a professional who knows their shit. People will engage with you in conversations and you only need to post that you're looking for a job. After that you will literally have to pick out of several proposals.

That's it, really.

Some people are not so extroverted and uploading videos of themselves and creating posts seems stupid.

I used to laugh at those guys who post motivational tips and shit every day. Then I saw they had 10k followers and crazy demand.

I have several long-term clients who pay me on a weekly basis and I also get 10% off of sales that happen thanks to my copy.

I'm still active and always looking for new clients and opportunities as I'm also building my own business and brand. Copywriting skills are invaluable when going solo.

Copywriting is salesmanship in print. Writing skills are second to selling/marketing skills.

Interesting fact: I wrote pic related.

just make sure you dont make too much money otherwise disney will come for their share of the profits, which is all of the profits since they own the characters.

I have a 100k+ sub youtube channel, making about 300 bucks a month, it's all the money I make since im a NEET with high school ed only

the source of traffic is not from US so im making way less that I could be making

I plan on somehow in the future trying to get US traffic into my videos

I also make some money with crypto

The problem is as soon as I start making more money im going to get raped by taxes

I live with parents but its still better than wagecucking and lossing hair over the stress of commuting

im making money from videos I uploaded a year ago so lol at u

People dont give a fuck about some guy posting on forums or in facebook groups. I dont really get your point and how you create a portfolio of work so people want you to write shit.

also having to make videos showing your face/voice is cringe as fuck. Im lucky to make videos where I dont do any of that. Also putting your face picture on those freelance jobs next to payeets is so damn cringe.

He makes $4k a month working 20 hours a week travelling...and you make $300 a month living with your parents, and you're calling him cringey?

I'm op of

iOS apps

iOS apps

In app ads + sales, I'm stationary right now in a tropical climate in the US.

You're not my target audience.

I put out the videos/posts that give value and spark conversations. I'm always visible and active in the community.

If a potential client (someone who has a business) happens to need good copy and happens to be part of the same community, guess what?

I'm the first guy he thinks about.

I'm one whole step ahead of anyone else he might contact. That's the whole purpose of this.

If you're the first guy someone thinks about when hiring - you got the job 9 times out of 10.

As for the cringe, yeah I used to think that way too.
Everyone had cringe content when they started, but doing it consistently is what allowed them to grow.

Check the first vids of every Youtuber and see how far they've come from being consistent.

If you find something that works for you by being incognito - that's great.

I'm taking the path of full exposure and I'm fine with my face and personality being behind my product.

yes, putting your voice and image into what you are doing feels cringe as fuck to me

also I still fail to see why anyone would pay you shit just because you post in some forums

I posted here about doing mobile adult affiliate marketing but it seemed no one was interested. Currently pulling in ~$300-$400 profit daily from just that.

My first video has more than a million views

i upload unfrequently because my videos take more time to create than just sitting there and talking some bullshit, unfortunately

>I'm taking the path of full exposure and I'm fine with my face and personality being behind my product.

i can't do that, its too cringe to talk while your mom is hearing what you say, maybe if I lived alone

but anyway I have a problem using my image to sell shit, its like a nightmare, like an out of body experience, like a become a breathing meme to sell a product, no longer human

Paid traffic? Or what's the model?

>If a potential client (someone who has a business) happens to need good copy and happens to be part of the same community, guess what?
what do you mean by "community"

you post in forums and facebook all the time with your website on your signature or something like that?

why not tell the niche you are at? who cares

i just fail to see how this does get started and you get fame

in my case i got fame because i used keywords that were searched a lot and did quality content for it, and the audience is massive

but in a more niche and small audience i dont know how i would do it, i dont even know how to set a website

90% of people doing copy writing online are in the make money online niche and/or weight loss.

yeah, thats the ones I was thinking about... i mean what else it can be? it starts getting really niche-ish and small audience outside of those

Well, I do 24.000€ on the side with only search engine Evaluation shit (appen, leapforce, lionbridge, isoftstone) but I still go to University.
I should just travel and do that shit lol

I'm never talking about bullshit, I read extensively, do research and create short summaries of valuable things.
That mainly covers persuasion tactics, story-telling, buyer psychology, etc.

By community I mean the Facebook group community, or forum community (e.g. "The Cult of Copy" close to 20k members).

The thing I perhaps failed to mention (which is obvious) is that when you actually do get a job you have to overdeliver and do a good fuckin' job.

If you feel you won't be able to do that, instead of posting that you're looking to get paid, say you're looking for a mentor to show you how things work on the inside.

The first two steps stay the same.

Also, I can write in several different niches. Those would be music, self-help, dating, men's health, make-money-online.

That's correct, display and ppv ads

Any tips or links to your last thread? Very interested. Tried breaking into paid traffic a number of times but never had success.

Basically get a tracker like voluum or thrive, signup to a few affiliate networks, signup to a popup ad network like popads.net and just start promoting direct link offers. Optimise them based on what's giving conversions and go from there. After pops move on to display. Also check out forums like affiliatefix and stackthatmoney

What's good for display? I have cpvlab still, should be fine I think. Do you do all dl? Or use landers?

That's a surprisingly straightforward strategy.
I've actually been thinking very seriously about doing this, but I'm not sure which niche to choose. (Do I pick something related to my dream career, or something which is more of a cashcow...?)

>I used to laugh at those guys who post motivational tips and shit every day. Then I saw they had 10k followers and crazy demand.
Am even been considering BECOMING one of those guys.

This is basically a "personal branding" exercise yeah?
Be seen as an expert in your field by writing with authority, get paid to write about it. That is more or less what you're saying?

Any concepts or books you recommend I get familiar with?
I mean writing is writing, and I think I'm very adaptable to different styles of writing -- but is there anything specific to copy and copywriting you recommend?

Or even examples of great copy?

If you don't mind my asking, what's your platform? Like what's your first point of engagement?

This guy gets it.

Personal branding would be the tag I'd put on this strategy.

The first thing you should do is give yourself a basic education in valid advertising principles. To begin with, read everything listed below:

"Brilliance Breakthrough"
-by Eugene M. Schwartz

"Scientific Advertising"
-by Claude Hopkins

"The Robert Collier Letter Book"
-by Robert Collier

"Tested Advertising Methods"
-by John Caples

"How To Write A Good Advertisement"
-by Vic Schwab

"The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues)
-by Gary Halbert

"The Boron Letters"
-by Gary Halbert

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches"
-by Joe Karbo

"Break-Through Advertising"
-by Eugene M. Schwartz

"7-Steps To Freedom"
-by Ben Suarez

Just listen to audio books of these on 1.5x speed following the text and stop to take notes where it gets interesting.

You'll find plenty examples in these books. You'll also find good stuff on Swiped.co but first I'd suggest reading the books so you know what you're looking at.

Fucking Sweet!
Thanks user.

Get into photography. You can make some pretty good money off selling images online via image banks like Shutter Stock and iStockPhotos. Put up enough and you can easily live off the income.

>can get people to click FB ads
>can't get them to convert into sales
Is the product's lander just shit or am I doing this wrong.
When I tried a lead page for my email list I got a few people to sign up to that. Zero people are interested in buying the product though.

What's the product?

>papa user's money4anon
Link?

Here.

Some racing sim. I'm thinking the audience is just adverse to the average sales page. I was getting around 5-12% ctr on the FB ads.
Might try my luck in skincare/diet instead. Women and mobile users seem like the greatest goys

>go to top 5 law school
>get summer associate job with large firm
>commute hour every day, hate job because they stuck me with shitty practice area
>partners never there
>senior associates never there
>don't get offered permanent because I asked to be transferred to the practice area I was hired to go into

All my class mates are trying to be wagecucks for 180k to fuel their drug habits that will allow them to work the 70 hour weeks. They will all be fired in 2 years anyway

Any ideas to find a niche where I won't slave my life away?

I am thinking of taking every tax class my last year and moving to a tropical or European tax haven. Have international experience

Skincare and diet is hard as fuck to get ads/landers approved iirc

>doesnt get the job he tried so hard for
>"I didn't want it anyway!"

I'm in my third year of law school and I'm miserable.
I would give up everything for a passive income like the one you're chasing, just to be able to freely roam wherever I please

but the most interesting thing is not being accountable to anyone else. Feel like calling someone on their bullshit ? you can freely do it without feering any repercussions that might permanently fuck your career up.

someone either can't afford my legal fees or is pissed off he has to pay them

but biglaw life sucks
thepeoplestherapist.com/2011/04/13/not-worth-it/

I didn't mean using those through facebook. I know they are near impossible to approve. I meant testing out how they do on mobile ad networks.

Side note: The best engagment I've ever had on FB was with weebs. Too bad there isn't tons of sites to shill them to

You are lying like a motherfucker or are way too depressive to be a lawyer full time, you will break the first time you need to represent a guilty man and get him to go free.

If you aren't lying you need to check your head and stop being a bitch, you have a legitimate chance to be someone rich and powerful still. You need to keep yourself talking to big 4 law firms, informational interviews, market yourself, sell yourself, you might at least get into a boutique firm of 20 lawyers and if you can succeed there you could be awesome.

70 hours a week sounds bad but look - you could be a unemployed debt ridden son of a bitch and your friends will all be pulling 100k+ and driving in badass cars and you'll be flipping burgers after getting beaten half to death by your insane father for "dropping out and seeing the worrrrrlddd maaaaaaan"

Sorry, I guess I am just pissed because I am unemployed myself for 1.5 years now and do a lot of career research and know how much debt law students get into and how much money/prestige a Top 5 law school gives a person, don't want to see you go hippie and ruin your life.

> you will break the first time you need to represent a guilty man and get him to go free.
do you honestly believe that the people working biglaw pulling 180k+ on their first year will ever see a judge, yet alone a court room ?
you're literally a scribe for the first 2 years , reviewing paperwork and slaving away for partners who get all the credit

The firm did not represent guilty people, just corporations. It marketed itself as a full service law firm that did IPOs and securities work. They were pushing me into litigation, and I wanted transactional work.

Did good work, have several references but 3L hiring sucks. Applying for judicial clerkships and shit

Yep, trash work and then they fire you after year 2 to get another law student that costs them $40k less a year

At least I have the resume line now

how do you plan on going into "international" tax law ?
it's something that has always interested me but I'm unsure about the path to get me there. Tbh it seems like you need connections in those tax heavens (Liechtenstein, Panama, BVI, etc.) otherwise I dont see how you can break through
not to mention there are some big players out there (Wolters Kluwer ...)

I still don't get one builds a portfolio talking about a variety of thing while not being an expert in any of them.

Do clients browse those forums? Everytime I visited forums like blackhatworld, warrior etc, it's just a bunch of payeets and randoms trying to sell their shitty premium crap into each other.

Language skills and US tax experience.

Most people that have the experience are married and can't pick up and move or speak another language

sweet thanks for the info

not one yet, but I plan to dabble in that next

see >money4anon.com/

bump for interest

is this the new yellow gloves shit?
didn't we already tell you to stop scamming Veeky Forums?

nice, what languages did you need to know to get started in this?

I'm interested, how do you do it user?

Can you explain what that is?

Sweet, excellent info user.
What made you decide on copy writing?

I feel your pain user
>I would give up everything for a passive income like the one you're chasing
Why don't you start by doing it on the side like I am?
Maybe we could collab one day.

>US tax experience
Can you expand on that in terms of a nomad like OP is talking about?

Are you recommending it for US citizens looking for tax advice out-of-country, non-residents looking for US tax advice, or just generally giving tax advice online/mobile?

non-residents looking for US tax advice. Or US companies operating outside the country who want to re-patriot profits

Gov agencies, law firms, accounting experience would be transferable to inr tax

I don't code. I hire devs to do the hard work. I just come up with ideas.

Stock photos were overcrowded in 2012 already. Everything has a photo of it there already, in 100+ versions and higher quality than your camera can do.

> he's the money and ideas guy

I'm honestly jelly. You don't really do anything and yet make all the profit.

Depressed engineering student

Depressed law student

I guess I'll complete the trifecta, I'm in my fourth year of medical school and I feel like putting a gun in my mouth for ever having chosen this shit

You've got to be kidding - you'll be printing money within 2 years

Don't bother specialise - just be a Dr in some family practice and get your $200k + bonus per year

Wait until you make money and realize it isn't the only thing.

What kind of bankroll do you need in order to start doing this?
Sounds like an interesting thing to branch into down the road.

>I'm honestly jelly.
Me too.

>I guess I'll complete the trifecta
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh when I read this.
At least now I know that listening to the other options my old man gave me would've been just as soul crushing.
I couldn't imagine working with blood either. I shudder just thinking about it (I don't like blood).
Thankfully becoming an engineer doesn't require grad school.

Huh? I own my $400,000 home and earn $100k annually working from home, I don't need some 13 year old telling me to "wait until..."

A doctor can literally sit at a desk all day, talk to people, write a prescription and earn 2x what I do with 1/2 the effort, and I do quite literally fuck all as it is. They have it made

So I guess you've both been a doctor and been in that guys shoes then to tell him that just because he'll make $200k+ he'll be happy.

Sounds good. I'll look into it.

Do I need any kind of license to dropship? I'm running a sole proprietor business, so I'm not sure. Google just leads me in legal loop holes and information I cannot comprehend at all