/Subaru general/

Scooby appretiation /compare thread? Wagon spec preferred all welcome. Happy to give specs

I bought this bitch for 500 and put 700 dollars worth of parts in it. This shit is way too easy. I'm starting to love these things so much I might start vaping

Looks clean as. Is it a 96? I had one till i rolled it 2.5 times falling asleep at the wheel. My first car. Whack an ej36, big turbo and start doing 11sec 1/4 mi. times

97. I'm surprised at how well this thing moves. I've always drove v8s and these things are really starting to grow on me. Here's my last one I bought for 800 and sold for 2500. All I did was put a new tranny for 500 bucks.

The little flat fours pack a kick. Subaru wagons are still running as underrated for performance platforms but i see more and more lately. The black liberty (Aus is liberty, rest of world is legacy) pictured is mine and want to run 325bhp with nothing but slightly bigger turbo, ecu tune and 98 octane. Was it worth the buy pre-built for 22k aus?

I am on my fifth year! Keeps on going!

How much of Veeky Forums actually knows what the fuck they're doing and works on their own shit? Itt: we weed out the bubble blowing babies who pay mechanics to touch their shit

Had my Legacy GT for two years since my dad sold it to me.

Fuckken wagons, man, gotta love 'em

what happened to your cup holder?

found it at a junkyard, bought it for $1200 with a blown motor

It broke so I took it out, haven't replaced it yet is all

Had an 03 Forester for 13 years without a lick of problems (other than rattling heat shields).

Now have a 14 Outback H6 3.6R. Wish it sat lower, but they don't Legacy Wagon any more. H6..mmm.....Smooth... power....

Sister has a '16 Legacy
Nephew has an 02 Outback
Brother has a '14 Crosstrek

Nobody has ever had a problem.

mein

ej25 is painfully slow, any upgrade recommendations?

Adjust expectations? Combined with a 4EAT it's never going to be a speed demon.

Maybe just a general tune up and change all the fluids / filters would make you feel better.

Trade it in on a turbocharged Subie. Alternatively, swap in a turbo drivetrain for the ultimate troll-mobile (and cheap insurance).

I've researched swaps and nothing seems *quite* plug-n-play

I paid for a full motor build after a spun crank bearing. Most expensive and regrettable thing I've done in recent years. Since then , I haven't paid a single person to touch anything on my car. Almost 3 years and counting. Feelsgoodman

>mfw my 2nd gen Legacy's EJ25 is more than enough if you don't short-shift

It's not though. My 07' 2.5i is slow as fuck. I have to wait for bigger spaces in traffic and merging during rush hour is terrifying.

Maybe the older Legacies are lighter or geared differently or something. Mine runs pretty well with the 2.5 DOHC

>2.5 DOHC

How many times have the head-gaskets blown?

One did a few years ago around 280,000 miles

It's definitly the SOHC, it feels like it's going to rattle to pieces over 4k

My carrier bearing likes to whine at 4.5K, but that's all (and doesn't even have anything to do with the engine)

Honestly the phase2 really comes to life over 4k (but still slow as fuck). It has a system very similar to VTEC called AVLS.

Post more pictures of your Subarus my dudes

You win man now I feel insecure about my purchases.

How tf do you petrolniggers find these shells so cheap? Even with a blown engine a 2002 wrx shell is rougly 4.5k is aus.

How hard are subarus to work on? Besides the oil filter meme, ive heard they're still a bitch because of the flat four.
I kind of want one for my first car, but I want to be able to learn how to wrench it.

Ok

Hello friendos

I can't even put together Legos but I can pull a motor disassemble and put it all back together in like 7-8 hours. It's fucking easy bro. It's only got 4 bolts holding it in there

Saw this today.

>needing 2 spoilers.

>How hard are subarus to work on?

Mechanically simple, but they can be ridiculously labor intensive to do relatively simple things....and are in all honesty one of the worst cars i've ever worked on in that respect, things are just downright awkward and unintuitive at the best of times.

For example in my Forester you have to remove the airbox, wiper fluid bottle, battery, loosen the engine mounts and jack up the entire engine....just to change the spark plugs.

>For example in my Forester you have to remove the airbox, wiper fluid bottle, battery, loosen the engine mounts and jack up the entire engine....just to change the spark plugs.
you don't have to jack up the engine. everything else, sure, spark plugs that you will likely do once in your car's lifetime are a little bit harder than an inline 4 cylinder.

bout to pull the trigger on a wrx sti lads

can't fuckin wait

All hawkeye STis have that second wing on the rear windshield.

Also, here's mine. Getting an accessport soon with an intake

>I might start vaping

you just went from cool to a faggot real quick.

>Brother has a '14 Crosstrek

how long until he becomes transgender?

M'kay

Grow up faggot

tripfag pls go

I want to buy a 05 Forester XT as a weekend warrior/overlanding platform..

its either this or a 3rd/4th gen 4runner...

How fucked would I be if I pick the forester.

I am in western Canada if that helps.

Grow up faggot

What wheels are those? They look so good with that color wagon mang. I picked mine up off a 2000 outback limited I bought for parts. This was before power washing and getting it running. But now I have another 2.5 engine w/ 5 speed that I can put in another subie. God I fucking love these things man. I've had 3 since January and made at least 1k profit on each

I'm actually running the stock rims from '99. Always liked the stock/sleeper look so they work fine, plus they already look pretty good imo

Is it an outback gt? Those things look way ahead of their time for a 99. They look better than the early wrx stock wheels

'99 Legacy GT

there was a Legacy Outback, but that's not what I have. The GTs are starting to become somewhat rare (seems like it at least), makes for a pretty cool daily driver

Still stock.... for now.

What are your plans?

BC Racing coilovers, engine mounts, shifter bushings, brakes, then stage 2 tune. Probably going with a high flow cat because CA emissions and I'm too lazy to put in the stock downpipe when it comes time to smog..

Earlier today some guy asked me if I was interested in selling my car, since he was looking for a hatch for his son..

but I just bought new floor mats for it so that wasn't gonna happen

Floor mats are essential

Why did they only make legacies in homo colors :( the imprezas and wrx got all the coolest schemes

>Giving an STi to a teenager

Assuming this was his son who is new to driving. The guy probably has no idea what the car can do.

Pls respond

Tons of people here in Bellingham Washington daily turbo subarus. I guess as a weekend car you could make it last forever. They are a complete blast to drive. But if you daily it, shits gonna break. Especially if you drive it like a mong. My father in law works at a shop here in bham that specializes in ripping people off for fixing their turbo subarus.

4runner is going to be leaps and bounds better off road. if all you are going to encounter are trails and unmaintained roads, the forester will be fine.

Better get yourself a stumble kit, also AP's with OTS tunes are garbage.

What you on about bro?

ayy Vic as well, looking the goods. I need those black plates.

Just bought a 2016 impreza hatchback, should i rice it into a sti?

no

thanks br/o/ther

here is a (You)

>tfw 3.6R Outback and Forester XT don't come in manual
I like my Crosstrek but if it had a turbo it'd be perfect

Every legacy comes in boring ass colors. That grey isn't anything flashy. All personal preference though man, your ride is still nice

turbo crosstrek when?

fuck, imagine if they lowered the crosstrek a little then put a turbo on it

We can only hope, user.

>lowered the crosstrek
Why would you ruin it like that user

It would be a fucking wrx then lol. The crosstrek is literally just a lifted impreza and the wrx is a turbo impreza.

damn nigga why you gotta crush a niggas dream?

Dead set on getting 01-05 WRX, waiting until i find a clean one with under 130k miles. I understand such a car would need a little extra maintenance, would be my daily driver.What am i in for? I have had zero luck finding RS coupe

I still don't know if you guys were serious or just bait lol

Keep looking

nice rs user, how has it been?

fun car, little noisy. feels a lot more tossable than my old bugeye wrx. hoping to put a wrx drivetrain or an H6 in it somewhere down the line.

why get rid of the bugeye? Been leaning towards the WRX because its got a turbo and way more practical than the brz with space and shit, then again those rs coupes are pretty bulletproof. Have only driven 15' wrx and sti, i have no idea how an older wrx would feel

just wanted a change, sold it to get an MR2. Honestly I regret selling it because the bugeye ended up getting rekt by the faggot that bought it. the newer ones are going to have better interiors/ammenities, and you get an extra gear. personally i like pre-2008, didn't really like where they went design wise after that.

Pre-2008 Subaru was quirky I reckon. Design wise they went from this really odd and loveable look to a bit more normie tier.

anything after 05 looks bad

Thinking of picking up a 2006 subaru outback. It's supposed to be the sports model, don't have the carfax in front of me. Anything you guys can tell me about it? Is there anything I should be looking for in the prepurchase inspection?

Those look clean. What year are those?

05-06

>boring
Nigga you must've missed my post earlier
Aspen green's sexy as fuck

sweet baby jesus

Mine is a Jan-2003 build MY04. Pretty sure US only started 05 or something. Can't believe my pos is over 13 years old.

mine
wagons are best car type

Did they stop calling them legacy outback and just change it to outback after 2003 in the rest of the world too?

i think in 2000

sad there isn't any 1st gen posts yet, 92 2.2 base leggy wagon, matience is generally simple and the engine bay has a good amount of room

I have a 92 loyale auto sedan 1.8. It's a good car and all but straight up boring and slow.

Also, post a picture.

>tfw legacy wagons are rare in the US

Got It for 900, 175k,fwd, no rust, First gen legacies seem super hard to find in Florida, but when you do they're normally rust free and cheap, cars been maintained by an older nasa worker on merit island by the space station

>Need a cam for each cylinder
>Only 4 cylinders

Wow you guys really did fall for the meme

Anyone take their Subaru camping? I'm thinking about getting a used outback

>Every legacy comes in boring ass colors
>Implying that's a problem
It's like you WANT to get pulled over all the time.