How do you feel about learning mandarin(chinese) for business/freelance opportunities?

How do you feel about learning mandarin(chinese) for business/freelance opportunities?

1. Multiple ever-expanding markets since chinese and english are massive languages, TONS of potential for growing your business and efficiently leveraging tasks in China.

2.Fluent english/chinese is a pretty rare combo, so little competition.

3. Looks good on resumes, and is pretty practical.

4. Leisure. Can make visiting multiple asian countries alot more immersive.

ye美好OP 每天上班以前我学汉语 let's get in this mang let's go.

remember that it's cool to be bilingual no matter what the jews tell you.

I've been learning slowly for maybe 3 months btw.

OP here
How long do you think itll take for you get reach your goal?

Years

I figured it's best to just grit my teeth and know that it's going to take a while to get a grasp on it.

most chinese don't even know most chinese.
but after a while people be able to form simple sentences, then get a bit more complex, and communication will be just around the corner.

I'm not quite at "conversing" level yet but that's my next step.

thanks. I've been on the edge for a while and now I'm putting it into deep consideration. It seems the toughest part about learning it is persevering for the coming years but I can tell its worth it in the end. Its the toughness that makes it so useful.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

what words do you know so far? I really only know basics that I still flick to when I struggle to write sentences.

how long 什么?

你喜欢金吗?

hmm

tldr but probably valid.

Holy shit. Dude...FUCK CHINA

Not much, probably like 20. I've really only been learning japanese but chinese seemed more profitable to me so I've been contemplating. I know learning a language takes a serious commitment, so I'm trying to pick whichever is better for me.

Interesting read, it's good to know what you're getting into before you actually go through with it. I've seen in a lot of places/videos and learned that the chinese can be a very cold/selfish people (atleast more than average). I've seen videos of chinese people just casually stepping over others who are having heart attacks on their way to work. Someone gets hit by a car, many chinese have that "not my fucking problem" mentality. But that stuff just goes hand in hand with any communist state.

With that said, this seems to be just one guys personal account, theres got to me more ways of dealing with the chinese. It seems almost as though he(or the person in his examples) approached the chinese the same way he would someone in the west. I just don't think I should scrap something just because there is a challenge in the way.

if you're yanks then you're going to have a hard time

Australia is going to be leading the lot though, where else did we get our drinking culture from?

also don't swap around unless you've been "learning japanese" for a long time.

I was like that with german and it still mixes me up sometimes, but not as much as someone who's getting into a language.

good japanese would be better than a bad half chinese / japanese mixup.

good words. I'm just too afraid of learning a language thats kind of small, japanese is only used in japan. I'm way more interested in japan from a travel/living perspective but I feel chinese is more profitable.

mei hao means great, but you can't use it like that. Did you just Google translate this shit?

Business people in China all speak English, it's not necessary to learn their language.

i think it would be good for reading and writing too, like documents, websites and the like.

ive been running ecommerce in Australia for a while and want to start a store in China. I think if i had a decent knowledge of the language it would make me more efficient in that venture.

>bust your ass learning this 100% foreign language with its total clusterfuck of characters
>no real goal, just some vague idea how it will be useful in the future
>after some years, you finally are really good at it
>write it in your resume
>no one gives a shit because everyone has a free high-quality translator App by now

Stupid monolingual

I'm fluent in Chinese and translate for extra cash. I wish I would have learned Spanish because it's easier and I could use it every day. Whenever I talk to Chinese people in Chinese they always talk back to me in English.

Right? LOL
stores will have mics where foreigners can talk into

Projecting?

>projecting?
dictionary.com

I'm pretty late responding but thought I'd bite.

Sure, that technology is being developed, and it's always been pretty neat stuff.

We also have self-driving cars, and retail stores have customer self-check out. Yet neither of those show any sign of ever "taking over".

As mentioned before, some chinese and pretty shady people, do you really want to trust a machine when you're trying to move your business into a country like this? There's also too many jobs where using translation technology is not possible.

Think about jobs like live-interpretation. It's not a job that interest me but it's a good example of a job you can't really automate through technology. Speakers will stutter, and start over when talking etc.

British Chinese in Canada here

how can I make some quick cash?

Chinese will do business with chinese

不錯, 我們不喜歡外購人

Well, fuck you too.

There's no point in learning Chinese unless you work for a Chinese firm. China is undergoing extreme nationalism right now and are wary of foreigners. They also heavily protect and favor their domestic businesses so good luck trying to compete in China.