It's time to quit my job and pursue a college degree

hi Veeky Forums,

What's a good amount of money to have saved up so I can quit my dead end job and go to school full time? I'm turning 26 next year, and I currently attend a community college but plan to transfer out to a university by the end of next year. I finally realized what I want to do with my life and that's to become an engineer.

>become engineer

Don't do it mate, it's a trap.

God

Take a look at the current cost of tuition and fees, judge future tuition and fees by the rate of change over recent years to judge future costs.
Do this with your school of choice.

Get a skill based degree, learn welding or some shit, America has an influx of engineers, liberal arts memers, tech devs, but almost nobody entering the less esteemed work force, you literally could become a million/billionaire if you set it up right and learn some level of networking.

O_o, I'm going for mechanical engineering. I have a passion for cars, and I hope one day, I can work for a top name company like Nissan or Mercedes.
huh
I'm hoping my future school loan covers most or all the tuition cost + fees once I transfer to a university. I need to figure out how much I should save up for personal expenses to cover me until I graduate.
I'm going for mechanical engineering. I would love to do hands on work like welding on the side though and I wish becoming a million/billionaire was that easy. lol

why dont you just become a mechanic and save yourself 100k in student loans

Chemical engineering major and electrical engineering minor here with two internships under my belt and a third coming next summer. Trust me, its shit.

I believe it will be less than that for me since I'm transferring.
how so? :(

>how

because hes got the fancy paper hes too good for a regular job working in the dangerous electrical and chemical industries

don't flake on your boss, work as hard as you can, and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, and you can learn much more

full year of consistent experience in anything beats internship and part time gigs in my book

icic

I'm 25 and planning on going to university next year when I'm 26, I'm hoping to have 70k saved up

4 years of tuition is 30k and I can get loans for that which leaves me with the 70k to survive 4 years, if I work during the summers that should get me an extra 10k per year, I'm hoping at the end i'll have enough to pay my student loans off within a year or two of graduating

>mechanical engineering.
>I have a passion for cars
oh boy. dont know if you know what you're getting yourself info. Unless you're super great at math and psychics, dont do engineering.

Nice! 70k is a good amount, and if you budget properly it should be more than enough to survive on for 4 years. If you don't mind me asking, what university do you plan on going to? and what major are you trying to pursuing??

This sounds crazy but I enjoy math. Math was my strongest suit in highschool. I wish I had gone deeper into it and took school more serious back then.

Don't forget opportunity cost of working those years prior to going to school.

> I'm turning 26 next year

no point anymore for you. and you are going to do the exact same job you have now with a degree

Ayyy

If you want to know how to work on cars buy a mid 90s shitbox an completely refurbish it. Anything after 95 since you will learn about OBD2 in the process.
Download the service manual for said car and buy the tools.

You will learn way more for significantly less and get tools and reliable vehicle out of the deal.

Don't quit, do online with a accredited and trustworthy school. If you already have an associate's degree, it should take you less than a year and 10 grand to go through WGU

Or join the military in an engineering career field and then use that free money towards your degree after you get out.

I'll look into that some more. I still need to finish pre-cal, cal 1, cal 2, cal 3, and differential equation & linear algebra. Also chem + physics in the next semester or so.

i don't know any university that credibly allows for an "engineering minor".

all those maths you listed are easy as fuck. biggest hurtle is calc 2.
do it m8

>welder billionaire
You are one stupid motherfucker m8

Fuck Calculus 2
The only class I got a C in during undergrad

thanks!!! yah, I heard Calc 2 is hardest out of all