youtu.be/eRhuy7AECMQ?t=165
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post audio progress.
clyp.it/hx4htz1f

youtube.com/watch?v=MeAU0H-ks2A

What music you deving to?

That, now.

Is there a good way to handle a lives system in a game, or should the idea be dropped completely? I'm aware it's a dated mechanic but it legitimately increased difficulty and made up for easier level design. Can it be improved or is it useless?

NeoTokyo OST
youtube.com/watch?v=408tWOubRDM

>70 minutes of comfy nintendo winter music

youtube.com/watch?v=wfxDIyYU9nM

Just copy the lives system of your favorite game with lives, baka

The real question is: What's the punishment of running out of lives? I think interesting gimmicks can come from running out of lives if the lives system is implemented. Tell me more about your game

Toumei Shelter

youtube.com/watch?v=6WyalnKQIpg

Lives are just one way to create a punishment to death which can persist between attempts.

If you respawn at a close checkpoint after dying, and keep dying over and over, you can become numb to it.
If you die 4 times and know that on your next death you'll game over and get sent further back, it's motivation.

You can do that with other stuff instead if it makes sense.

>but it legitimately increased difficulty and made up for easier level design.
So compensating for your bad design?

Lives just make a game more annoying to play. It forces you to replay earlier parts of the game just because a later part might be hard.

I like having occasional checkpoints in a level. Shovel Knight and Dark Souls do this well. There's usually a checkpoint after a big difficult challenge, then you move on to the next big challenge. Of course don't have the checkpoints too close. If the player dies they still need to be sent back a ways. Having another punishment for death is good as well, like the dropping of treasure in Shovel Knight.

the horst wessel

For about 9 months. Though it was on 700 dl's before the latest demoday.

I personally believe that the concept of secret curves and variables handling game difficulty and other aspects are the fuuuture.
>difficulty (number of enemies and environmental hazards) = 1
>more deaths during part x (with a part being an enemy encounter or boss fight) = game difficulty toned down by .1
>winning the shit out of part x while having lost not so many items and health = difficulty rises by .2
>surviving part x with your ass almost getting handed to you on a silver plate = difficulty rises by a lower value between .1 and .2
>after each part, every next part esponentially increments difficulty both to an external value and to a customized one
This is called dynamic difficulty, you've already seen it either like this or in more plain and basic aspects (the chicken hat in MGSV for example).
With the right data collected, a malleable task automatically given to the player for maximum enjoyment and challenge according to their skill level is way better and more satisfying.
Infinite or finite lives by themselves can make games too much of a cakewalk or too frustrating. This is a potential fix.

>It forces you to replay earlier parts of the game just because a later part might be hard.
You mean exactly like areas in Dark Souls? You're the one assuming that he's talking about a system where running out of lives means restarting the entire game, when running out of lives could simply mean restarting a level or segment.

It's only annoying if you're bad

synthwave, it's so bad.

but it's so damn good.

Wtf are you talking about dark souls forces you to replay earlier parts of many sections if you die BECAUSE your saving at checkpoints and have to travel away from them.

Oh that's really good.

How is this better than allowing the player to choose their difficulty level?

Done with the healing items for the moment.
Mana potions are Syringes
Stamina potions are pills
And health potions are surgical field kits

Maybe going to use this thing as a high tier med kit instead of the regular healing potion, but for the moment I'll probably work on the torch/lamp system.

>fixed op
absolutely based

youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE

I still hold my position that lives and continues are great for level based games, sprinkle some checkpoints through the level for respawning when dying, but when you're out of lives, tough luck, back to the start.

Quality stuff.

Good god, how are you so bad at this?
Also, why are you using those lines, instead of animation cones?

tl;dr

Looks great!
How did you learn to do materials?
Any good tutorial?

>reading a video

Theoretically:
>adjusts the whole game to a single, universal setting, fit for the player
>makes the experience smoother
>saves the shitty player from throwing his controller through the wall because the game's too hard
>greets the good player with a higher level of challenge than harder modes could've ever done and satisfies him
Pratically:
>saves you time from having to "design" other difficulties
>the first stage can act as an universal litmus test without having the tutorial, judging each player blindly and justly
>doesn't have the shitty player frantically have to restart or constantly change from difficulty x to y in the menus
Cons:
>may take more time to design what's going behind the screen
Looks very good, user, althought the leather strips holding the objects look too smooth IMHO.

Dynamic Difficulty is fucking stupid.

I always feel like I'm getting punished for doing well.

Multiplayer Home Alone

One player sets traps, others try to break in and catch him

I could get behind this if it meant that enemies would up their tactics and learn from what I do. Fuck it if it just gives them more health and makes them hit harder.

How about you take a look at Castledoctrine?

>How did you learn to do materials?

I'm mostly using substance painter these days, smashing together masks and smart materials.
But I guess what it really comes down to is having a defined high poly mesh for the normals (multiresolution with edge crease is often enough for that, don't need any kinds of sculpts - maybe some displacement mapping for detail like in the middle part of the leather) and the rest is pretty much procedural masking via curvature maps.
Substance is particularly good for that, because not only does it all of this relatively fast and automatically, but looking at the maps it bakes it actually becomes clear how to do these things manually, if you really wanted that.

Substance designer (which is actually the more powerful of the two programms) plus its tutorials also give you a lot of information on how to do these things. Most materials are basically just Grunge Maps + a couple of relatively well known image processing filters (blur, histogram etc) and layering techniques (addition, multiplication etc). SD is just a node editing tool to put these things together.

>punishing the player for doing well
>rewarding the player for doing poorly
>not allowing the player the chance to naturally improve, rather insulting them by forcing them to continue to play through a worse version of the game instead of overcoming a hurdle that would have made the rest of the game more enjoyable for them
>player forced to always perform to spec all the time or watch their gameplay experience be ruined automagically
>implying you can balance "fun" around variable game difficulty correctly while AAA devs are constantly ruining their game designs with Hard mode
user I'm sorry but no.

Hi res into low poly + normals into substance painter? Looks good.

What about that, but not 2D and with mixed reviews

duuude outer kevin lmao

>not spending 7 years on parallax code

youtube.com/watch?v=yaNuuxglGdE

A game, where the players can interact with everything. Like Bad Neighbours, but with multiple orders of magnitude greater player freedom.

VERY exciting animation here.

When someone Molyneux posts, do you imagine the game is 2D or 3D?

I always go 3D because I usually don't care for making nor playing 2D games.

always 2d because I assume every 3d indie game looks like shit. The worst are the non-stylized indie 3d games.

Whatever Pete posts, I always see Godus.

Depends on the game

pussy destroyer

he looks more like a ball gargler

That's pretty impressive.

Made a following illusion effect, but something feels off.

Sorry, was away from the computer.

I feel like that's a cheap cop-out, honestly.

That's a good question. The punishment definitely wouldn't be restarting the whole game like Mario Bros 1. Maybe restart the stage like in the original castlevania? My game takes heavy inspiration from classic castlevania. But I don't want to just copy the system used.

Love me some Mark Brown. I'm pretty sure I've seen this a while ago but I'll definitely rewatch this as he usually has good analysis.

That is a very good point. I think spaced out checkpoints might be a good way to go about it to or have optional checkpoints a la Shovel Knight. That game had a wonderful death system.

No yes, that was just an example even though I'm not good at level design. I just feel like without some sort of punishment, a game could become too easy.

Good points, but I don't think Dark Souls did this will either as if you die before finding a bonfire, you need to retrek and it's even more annoying considering the game's difficulty.

I'm not a fan of dynamic difficulty as it rewards you for playing poorly and punishes for playing well.

I think that's gonna be my way to go, but not going back to the start of the game though. That's just frustrating.

all me

>My game takes heavy inspiration from classic castlevania

Heleton dev? Consider this: Game overing not only sends you back to the beginning of a stage, but takes your subweapon too, you could inflict some sort of other penalty as well if you really want to put the pressure on the player for fucking up, maybe make some monsters stronger or some shit.

If you want to do it that way, you should; it's your game. But the idea that you need to impose limited lives on the player to make the game more difficult instead of actually making your game's intended challenge more difficult is not a good one.

If the mercenary dev is here, I messaged you on reddit about your post plz respond

it might have something to do with the fact that the globes of the eyes are flat instead of spherical

How about a game that rewards you no matter what !

you play bad - you get rewarded

play good ? - rewarded

thank you for all your replies user

>Heleton dev?
Yep!
Maybe I'll also make them play the stage upside down and backwards if they die too much, and also disable the jump button.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm just not sure how challenging is too challenging, or even how to successfully design legitimately challenging sections without just throwing too much shit at the player and frustrating them. Castlevania was brilliant (outside of medusa head spam) with how it handled difficulty and I'm having a difficult time dissecting it.

thats overwatch

Maybe not take it to such extremes, it could be something simple too, like your Skeleton guy loses his hat and can't upgrade to the bone fist until he gets it back because video games. Something like that.

Then again there's nothing wrong with just simply kicking the player back to the beginning of a stage.

fresh progress, hot off the press.

making them spherical made it worse

Maybe the depth is the issue, everything should be flat

make them convex not concave and make the irises concave.

>Hi res into low poly + normals into substance painter?
yep

The way Westerado handled it was pretty good. You have three hats. When you get hit, you lose your hat. If you have no hat left and get hit, you die (respawning at set location with loss of some $). You can buy new hats or shoot a hat off an enemy's head, then picking up that shot hat. This rewards you with extra lives when you show special accuracy and skill.

Of course that and your game's genre have little overlap, but I think it's a good alternative to be inspected.

indiana jones ?

Well for one thing there should be no shading and there should be no dots on the front of them.

risk of rain?

>tfw still no idea how to make a fucking inventory
send help

What's the right way of lumping all collidable static objects (with the player in this case) under a single identifier in Game Maker? Don't want to type if (colliding with a wall or a slope or a blah blah) every single time.

and yet for some reason i keep getting closer and closer to that silver bracket.

I guess I suck at games.

Technical or design issue?

It's just...like...put the objects in a container man.

Is it just me or is the sprite flipped off-center?

Alright, I think some ideas are finally beginning to flow.
Thank you very much for the insight. Hopefully I'll be able to implement death in a way that isn't just frustrating.

nah
it's not

Technical, I don't know how to store the reference to the item after it gets picked up and destroyed from the world. Maybe I should not destroy them and just disable them.

Yeah, just disable it.

You have two practical choices: make them solid (broken) or give them all the same parent (which locks you out of this doing this for anything else). Otherwise you can give every single object a custom marker variable like solid but then you're checking every object for collision and you could run into performance issues.

Have fun :)

Yeah, I was specifically trying to avoid using the Solid property. I'll look into Game Maker inheritance then, thanks. Just one thing, I won't have any problems with different collision masks for every child object will I?

Progress!

Added a new monster, spiders. They are faster and more chaotic. Improved monster script system a bit, it is easier to add monsters now.

Added a stun/slow to monsters you hit.

Bullet trail improvements and a few other things.

Will try to release a demo next week.

No, that's fine.

Will this LD have a good theme?

that didn't work
thanks
I don't how to turn off shading

Reminds me of this
youtu.be/eRhuy7AECMQ?t=165

>maybe make some monsters stronger or some shit.

I played a fetish game like that, it's very good for the mazo feel

Does someone need a programmer? I'm just trying to get my name on something

>lone programmer in vidya dev
you should probably kill yourself

Sure, but you're gonna be the Florian Himsl and I'm gonna be the Edmund McMillen.

post best world stage selection map screens

no contest