/rlg/ - Roguelike General

SURPRISE MFER EDITION

>Poschengband 5.0.3 released
release notes: angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8133
download here: sites.google.com/site/poschengband/

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11840131
strawpoll.me/11840199
monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2010/12/dougal-dixon-after-man-zoology-of.html
archive.org/details/msdos_Rogue_1983
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow... that's a cute tummy /rlg/-chan! May I pinch it?

>a shit god that bad players think is good but the best players also think is good for niche uses (speedruns)
is chei the deepest god?

orb guardians can zerk

you stupid fucks better not post @.gif again

Orb guardians are fucking weak.

The only scary thing in Zot are Orbs of Fire, and they are pretty easy with rF++ and rMut. Once you're in Zot you've basically won.

berserk orb guardians do a lot of damage, especially if you have poor defenses (you have no excuses for having bad defenses with chei but this is reddit after all)

>rMut
What's that?

Mutation resistance

>Poscheng
>Second quest reward ring has A:*Identify*

Neat.

never reply to my posts again

you can only post itt if you have ever touched an orb

dumbquestionsposter here, can i stay to continue to waste everyone's time by asking things that are covered in the OP?

NO!

Does anyone else think the orb run is far more dangerous than people give it credit for?

I was ascending the other day and I had to pass through a completely open dungeon level where the only 3 staircases up were on the opposite side, all next to each other.

I'd have been completely fucked if a panlord or level 1 demon got summoned there. Ice fiends, in particular, can torment and hit like a truck.

Orb run is pretty benign most of the time, but I feel is the most dangerous part of the game once you get past early game.

Especially if you get some bullshit like a panlord who summons those eyes than can paralyze you without a MR check.

Chei is the best for melee speedruns because he's literally (literally) the best god. His massive buffs is present in every single turn you move unlike bloat gods like Trog, TSO, Makhleb that need bloat buttons in order to be useful and other bloat gods that I can't be bothered to remember.

you are not allowed to frogpost in dungeon crawl stone soup general

>His massive buffs is present in every single turn you move
You mean his massive nerfs?

>bloat gods like Trog, TSO, Makhleb that need bloat buttons in order to be useful
Chei is an invo-heavy god.

>Makhleb that need bloat buttons in order to be useful
Makhleb would still be top-tier if he only had his passive hp on kills power.

>Orb run is pretty benign most of the time, but I feel is the most dangerous part of the game once you get past early game.

Most dangerous part is the third rune.

You don't even need any of his buttons to win a game. Do you seriously need anything other than a free +45 stats that you could get as early as L:1 to win a 15 rune?

most dangerous is d:3 to d:6 but i find the first lair rune can get pretty nasty

>tfw gettin merked off screen from a panlord on the orb run
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Who is the pedo in cam?

Are we shifting into the camwhore celeb phase of generals?

dude do you even use digging wands?

i don't think a single e-celeb plays any of the games discussed in this thread, they stick to isaac/etc

>no e-celebs
God willing, user, it stays that way.

being able to run away from things and re-position in combat is nice to have

DCSS poll

strawpoll.me/11840131
strawpoll.me/11840131

Yes, but like I said, that specific level was completely open, as in there was nothing to dig. I still ascended the character and won, but if anything dangerous got summoned I would have been done for.

Running away is just a waste of turncount. Not being able to kill every single popcorn due to poor skilling and initial positioning is a huge FAULT in itself, a bigger fault than melee'ing a D3 ogre and getting one shotted by an annihilator in Elf:3.

>Late game (Vault, Depths, Zot)
>1 vote

whoever you are, log onto github and remove yourself

I don't have a link to the current TAS, but I know the runners are ais523 from #nethack and dwangoAC of TASVideos

don't worry pepe, I will protect your chubby tummy from the neo nazis

DCSS Poll

strawpoll.me/11840199

but what about all the other games like brogue and angband

no

rogueliker
dicksman
some dude was supposed to stream demon a while back but I never watched it

please don't remove me I was just joking

monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2010/12/dougal-dixon-after-man-zoology-of.html

Why is PCB so miserably addicting?

>exploded on impact

Try to orbrun in Linesprint and then you'll realize how difficult it can truly be.

how the fuck to I play PBC

>linesprint
literally just aa and press that mf tab button

>A seraph and 3 Daevas come into view

was your 2 (two) int brain incapable of understanding what i just said? press aa, and then hold that mf tab button

monk of nature, kick big J in the balls

buy a katana off of alibaba and apply directly to stomach

Which rougelike is the most fun?

The one where you get to parumpapumpum user's cute anime tum.

DDA

nuclear throne

>roguelike
>fun
pick one

>b - the +8 Triple Sword of Concience (speed, rPois rN++ Int-3 SInv)

>+8 triple sword with speed and incredibly handy resistances and intrinsics

Just on the resistances and intrinsics combined with the enchantment bonus alone, this weapon is awesome. But I've never had speed on a large weapon like this. Is it as insane as I think?

ok i pick poschengband
which fun roguelike do YOU pick, user?

Sil and play as a thief. There's something amazing about swiping all that stuff

Yeah. It's basically a better double sword.

He was riffing on the fact that it now only generates on, like, 2 unrandarts. It's basically impossible to get in any reliable fashion.

Since my vampire berserker now has the best weapon I can really imagine, considering ditching Trog. What are the interesting gods these days? On .18.

If you could have three (3) level ups, what would they be?

>felid ghost show up as humanoid tiles

BOO

BOO I SAY

>He doesn't like berserked stone giants, MR, and regen
Xom's the best. Pakellas lets you use rods and wands for once. Hep's pretty interesting.Nem gives you a lot of offense and support and the semi-random draws keep it fresh. You can go yred and have a deep troll shaman hasting and mighting your dudes. Playing tower defense with the mushroom AoE's, walking mushrooms, spores, and oklob batteries is pretty tight now that fruit stacks. I don't think you can zin which is a shame cause recite is dope.

NO

NO FUCK

I GOT KILLED BY AN ORB SPIDER BECAUSE I WAS SLOWED AND HE SUMMONED 2 ORBS CONSECUTIVELY

GOD DAMNIT

THAT WAS THE BEST SWORD I'D EVER SEEN AND I LOST IT IN THE STUPIDEST FUCKING WAY

FAULT

FAAAAAUUUUUULT

Makhleb is the boring but effective choice.

What's this weapon?

It was but then i so moot point

>rPois and rN on a vampire
So what were these great resistances you were talking about?

Int -3 bec. he's to intelligent for Crawl

I was keeping myself at Alive because I was trying to be maximum feral berserker vampire.

What a shame you ended up dead because you tried to stay Alive.

holy (+75% damage) BTFO

ar ar ar ar

>The fire burns you terribly!

>Get a couple points in throwing/evo
>no problem at all
Own fault

I had 5 levels in evocations and was trying to disintegrate it

should have just blinked

I lost a +12 rElec short sword of Disto to a worm pond in Lair during the tournament.

A fucking worm pond, user.

Nothing smarts more than when you finesse yourself on what looked like a safe gamble.

Cataclysm is a fun game.
I slapped a zombie to death with an aluminum and got brain damadge in the process.

>with an aluminum
was that brain damage in game or IRL?

You were playing Cata, you already had brain damage.

>I slapped a zombie to death with an aluminum and got brain damadge in the process.
yes... yes, yes you did

man protection was bad before but is there literally any situation where it's viable now

whenever I'm getting my UC to 7 as an Octopode

smack something once with a dagger before applying sticky flame or spamming hexes

>Inspired by Dwarf Fortress and Firefly.
I know I'm going to regret even playing it since it's not a roguelike, but how from being a roguelike is RimWorld?

literally just play df

not-a-roguelike/a-roguelike
i still liked it

It's a DF-like, base building etc. Nothing roguelike about it.

>implying I can even consider playing DF again after the massive fault I've had following a turkey falling out of a tree on top of me and breaking my skull and neck

DF adventure mode is one of the few roguelikes where it is actually rarely your fault

>rarely your fault
fault

In *band, what does mark of chaos do?

Applies other brands at random.

archive.org/details/msdos_Rogue_1983
Find out

Jesus Christ, Orfax is an absolute madyeek.

What is the purpose of this poll when there are already stats about player deaths and like 99% are around D1 or D2?

but have you considered that 99% of players are shitters

it's better to look at statistics from only goodplayers

For good players like 90% of deaths are D1 and D2, what's your point?

there's a minotaur in the labyrinth, but he's not THE minotaur of the labyrinth

what gives

>Meliai can open doors
Please feel free to imagine your favorite bee-related reaction image.

well i got something from killing him anyways