FRS/86/BRZ

Why all the hate? I really like it.

No V8 option.

It wasn't the supercar for 5 grand the internet wanted it to be.

it's just a bit underpowered and looks like shit
otherwise it's breddy gud
you could probably fix it with a tune, although I dunno if they already do that

The FRS was a replacement for the AE86. The AE86 was underpowered but had superior handling. This car is the same and they are even priced pretty similarly (The AE86 would cost 23k today). So where did those crazy expectations even come from?

V8s are pointless in a car like this.

It's kind of a meme by now to bash the Toyobaru. They're solid cars with great handling, and the only real competition to the Miata in the current new-car market.

Toyota / Subaru really should have offered forced induction option. A good supercharger takes the engines output up to 300 horsepower.

It's predecessor was also underpowered. I don't see the problem.

It's one of the best platforms on the market for the money and people who hate on it have seriously warped expectations of the 86 family or have never driven one

Heavy as a boat, dead revs until 6k RPM

If Tobaru tried to do a last hurrah to young people cars, they certainly started badly by outpricing the bracket.
>inb4 a sports car can't be cheap

It's true, but they added expensive nothings to justify the price. The interior is pseudo-luxury standard.

Why develop a brand new, high compression engine with a shitty power curve? Absolutely useless research costs are what make the price so damn high too.

Don't forget that the GT86 was initially announced as a 20k car.

Generally speaking, when you make a new/replacement of something do you not seek to improve all aspects of it?
Had this car put out at least 375 it would've sold like mad, hell I would've bought one myself.

But as it stands there's no point as I can make a shitbox go twice as fast for a quarter of the price of an FRS.

Fuck if I know. Maybe it looks like a Veneno to everyone else?

It's gay
The drivers are douche-weebs
It's gay
It looks like shit
It is underpowered
It's gay
And finally... it's gay

Ah, to be 14 again

>6.2 seconds and a top speed of 144mph stock is slow
Benchwarmer.

You're gay too, faggot

I didn't say it was slow. I implied that the drivers love having their orifices filled with veiny cocks.

I did say it was underpowered. Then again, the drivers are bottom twinks... makes total sense now

We know it's gay, calm down there buddy

Why is there multiple threads daily about this car? No one gives a fuck anymore.

Its weak for the price. It offers little in terms of performance. Buying such an expensive car for the third party market is dumb as fuck

>bottom twinks

Well he is right about that... Have you seen most of the people who drive those ugly things? People who leave them alone and DD them are no problem but the Stance faggots ruin the poor cars. Ruin them.

I don't know how to feel about mine.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner put on some bullshit pipes now that I've took it on the highway.

perfect for me then

Because today it should have come with 250 bhp, stock. it didn't deliver, and is therefore shit

It's got a crater in the torque curve right in middle of the rev range, making it feel like an econobox during daily driving.

It's not THAT gay but you are right about it being underpowered.

the rev range is above it.

But that fucking dip is really shit, especially if Toyta-Subaru is going to try to make an engine. Way to faiil.

IMO The tune and dumb engine (Le dip face, IIRC people also have trouble with any FI becuase 12.5 comp ratio) are much to blame for the hate.

A lot of the hate also stems from people calling them fast and treating them like a 'fast' car when it's quite slow in most environments where people see it.

>tfw slower than a Pregio in a straight line

>Make the 3SGE BEAMS
>Make the 20V 4AGE
>Make the 4AGZE
>Trust Suburu to make something 4 Banger and fun
>This happens

:)

>26 grand brand-new is expensive
>6.2 seconds and 140mph is too slow for 26 grand brand-new
What fucking planet do you live on?

Give me a Mazda E5.

>cable throttle
>cable brakes
>manual steer rack
>tfw rigging the carb

This BRZ is fun but I'm not sure if physical enough for me.

I could go buy a $3000 Mexican-owned SN95 Mustang in shit condition that would outperform a FagRZ.

Shitty boxer engine

What pseudo luxury items are you speaking of? The original FRS was pretty damn base.

IIRC, most NA boxers have torque dip. It's not exclusive to the 86. The car is meant to be NA because the designers valued throttle response.

That's why you buy a stock one

>Hey, you know what'd make my car look badass?
>If I glued a beard and a mullet into it, yeah!
Ricers are the primary reason Veeky Forumstists sperg out over it. The rest of it is competent for its price-point, but these faggot stancers and spoiler-tacking retards who drop all their money into ugly-as-sin aftermarket cosmetics are the reason people are so desperate to find faults in the car.

That said, it has failed to make c&d's top 10 since its debut in MY13 (its only appearance on the list yet) nor has accrued any new awards or accolades since the initial fucking tidal wave it got in its first year. Basically, the 13 & 14 were great cars with a lot of promise, and every subsequent version has just been the exact same thing with a slightly hiked msrp despite introducing no improvements.

It is a miata with a hard top. It doesn't matter how much money you dump into it, it will always get blown out by better platforms with an equal investment.

So then I look at what it has to offer if it isn't going to be a world beater? Crappy 4 cylinder engine, cheap interior. Its just an entry level sports car. At the end of the day there is no point in trying to make it into something it isn't.

I'm glad it is there for entry level people but man... at 30k it is a steep investment for a car that can't grow much.

>6.2 0-60 is fast.
Oh dear, its not 1989.

NA MR2 can do 0-60 in a similar pace and it's 22 years old, JDM Stick Turbo can run it under 6 seconds.

Comparing both NA 'Toyota Sports Coupes' and you'll probably find the SW20 being pretty similar despite the age, it should simply be a better car since it's so much newer to most people.

You can pick up 10hp with a tune on stock gas
Can get about 50hp from headers and e85 tune

>Can get about 50hp from headers and e85 tune
>You can increase WHP by 25% with magic
No.

more like 25hp

30k? You mean 25k?
What else for the same price NEW is RWD with LSD and manual that could blow it out of the water for the same investment?
Miata doesn't come with LSD until the $29k Club version, and has transmission issues. No LSD until the same price with the Fiata.

Literally 8

There hasn't been an actual new one yet, so that's no surprise.

>$27k msrp
>+taxes and shit
>easily over $30k car
I'd rather spend a the extra money on a 370z if it's going to cost that much anyways.

I like it too but the engine is the achilles heel of that car and subaru just teases us with that sexy ass sti concept version but won't put it into production

I think their only flaw is the price, it could be a bit lower. But I'm a poorfag (like anyone else on this board), so don't take me seriously

Nah it's overpriced. Should be starting at $20k. There is no reason it should cost almost $30k.

OP here. After reading everything. Seems most of the concerns are with HP and price.

Price, I guess after rethinking, it is too expensive. Closer to 20k makes sense.

HP though, I just can't agree. The point of the car is not straight line performance, but rather how quickly you can corner, which a lot of high-end cars can't do as well as the 86. This car is meant to be tuned and modified, adding forced-induction isn't going to be easy to work with. Two engine options, a NA one and a Turbocharged one I feel would work.

I also believe this FRS could be the last of its kind, a light sports coupe with an FR layout. With safety increasing every year, the manual transmission and the internal combustion engine could be phased out before you know it.

IMO it's one of the nicest looking new cars you can get at it's price point. It's not super fast but it's not slow either, it just feels slower than it is due to the shit torque dip tune that Subaru gave it. I would take one over an Ecobitch Mustang and whatever Chevy calls it's 4 banger shitbox of a Camaro.

I don't own one and have never owned one by the way.

If it made 375 hp from the factory it would twice as much you stupid asshole

underage never fails to reveal itself

>watched TJ Hunt once

a V6 would've been nice though

>That's why you buy a stock one
The price was right and the condition good. Not hard to get stock exhaust parts and sell the louds to some kid for pennies.

Actually pedal feel is one of my complaints so far, but I'm coming from being able to feel the throttle scrape open and the spring pushing back, and the clutch bump against the flywheel before fully engaging. But so far it keeps delivering when I push it a little bit more. Tough balance between an every day car and a track car, especially on the cheap.

How impossible would it be to fit a Turbo 2.5 in it?

Haven't poked around the mechanicals too much yet, but I'd guess that'd be a matter of needing a will to make a way. The engine bay is layed out differently from other Subarus at a glance, for instance, but I don't know if that depends on the engine layout.

Also you'd want to have a taller final drive for sure. The gearing is pretty short as it is.